View Full Version : Best Taco In OKC?

theilluminatedfirefly
09-29-2008, 11:12 PM
While in San Diego my friend took me to a taco stand close to the beach that was awesome! It was a casual place - looked like an old Dairy Queen, half the people eating there didn't have shoes on. The only things they sold were tacos and burritos. They were so delicious! Not fast-foody at all - more like your Mama makes. The place was so busy; tons of people coming there all day long for yummy, big tacos.

My question - do we have anything similar in OKC? Just a taco place, not a whole restaurant like Ted's, etc. I want somewhere besides the national chains (Bell, Mayo, Bueno) to get a good taco without turning it into a $15 restaurant meal.

Suggestions?

tuck
09-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Taco San Pedro - SW 44th is the best I have found. OKC doesn't have the number of unique taco stands of San Diego or Austin. I could have every meal at Maria's in Austin.

jacodenn
09-30-2008, 07:44 AM
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii169/emiiebabiiex/Tacos.gif

"While in San Diego my friend took me to a taco stand close to the beach that was awesome!"

There is ONLY one place I know of that makes tacos like the taco stand you mentioned (was it in Mission Beach?)... MY kitchen! Taco's are a Saturday afternoon specialty around this household.

P.S. I grew up in San Diego along Mission Beach and Pacific Beach...but that was over 30 years ago when Jack-in-the-Box sold tacos for .19 each.

ksearls
09-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Mmmm, tacos, one of my favorite subjects. I really like the Max Burger on south Western. I recently found this new, great place in the Stockyards, can't remember the name. It is right on Agnew and about 13th. Really, really good and very inexpensive. Yummm

ultimatesooner
09-30-2008, 08:00 AM
there was a place on NW expressway called Maria's kitchen but it didn't make it. I'll bet that I ate there 60 times in the 3 or so months that it was open

some people don't trust them but I love the taco's from the taco vans that you see parked along sw 29th or nw 23rd

here is an eataroundokc.com review of a taco truck

Taqueria Sanchez: mobile Shady Restaurant of the Month | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/taqueria-sanchez-mobile-shady-restaurant-of-the-month/)

tburn
09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Taco San Pedro !

Taqueria Sanchez is the mobile taco truck on NW 23rd & Ann Arbor
but they don't serve beer

These are the soft corn tortilla, spicy meat, onion, cilantro sqeeze of lime variety

metro
09-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Well this thread is subjective as there are all kinds of tacos and tex-mex and authentic Mexican. Most of the places described above, as well as your experience in San Diego, learn more towards authentic Mexican and not Tex-Mex.

If you're looking for a more authentic taco try the following:

I second Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th, my wife loves that place. There are numerous other places like this in the SW side of town as well as Taco Vans scattered all throughout the city (another thread on Taco Vans as well). I was skeptical for a year or two of these places but finally caved and they are great! I like the one on NW 10th near May in the Whitakkers parking lot.

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/6977-taco-vans-nw-10th-street.html?highlight=taco+vans

Taqueria Los Comeras is what ksearls is referring to, I recommend their carne asada taco's. There is a thread on this place with reviews here:

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/10415-taqueria-los-comeras.html?highlight=stockyards

There are also other threads dedicated to fish tacos in OKC. Get out and explore!!

tburn
09-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I always order al pastor (red chile pork) on the traditional mexican tacos

I love the tacos de pescado (mahi mahi) at Adobe Grill

I haven't had a ground beef / hard shell taco in ages!

SoonerFever1
10-02-2008, 02:00 PM
How does Taqueria Los Comeras compare to San Pedros?
We always go to San Pedros for authentic Mexican but my wife wanted to try a new place.

easternobserver
10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
No doubt......the Iguana's beef taco.

metro
10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
How does Taqueria Los Comeras compare to San Pedros?
We always go to San Pedros for authentic Mexican but my wife wanted to try a new place.

I like Taqueria Los Comeras slightly better than San Pedros for authentic Mexican tacos, however I've heard more good reviews for Tacos San Pedro. That could be because less people travel to the Stockyards than on SW 44th? I like them both personally.

SoonerFever1
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I like Taqueria Los Comeras slightly better than San Pedros for authentic Mexican tacos, however I've heard more good reviews for Tacos San Pedro. That could be because less people travel to the Stockyards than on SW 44th? I like them both personally.

We tried Taqueria Los Comeras a few days ago. I agree with you, for authentic tacos Taqueria Los Comeras comes out slightly ahead of Pedros. San Predros wins out on a little more variety on the menu.

We will definitely be going back to Taqueria Los Comeras when everyone wants tacos.

Next up will be hunting down one of the local taco stands. My wife is Hispanic and about the only time we eat at a taco stand is when we visit her relatives in SW Kansas/SE Colorado.

OkieHornet
10-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Taco San Pedro - SW 44th is the best I have found. OKC doesn't have the number of unique taco stands of San Diego or Austin. I could have every meal at Maria's in Austin.

Maria's Taco Xpress? ate there for the first time a few weeks ago... still craving it... and the muffin trailer next door that had muffin top ice cream sandwiches? unreal...

metro
10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Hornet, where is Maria's Taco Xpress? Man those muffin top icecream sandwiches sound good about now..........

OkieHornet
10-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Hornet, where is Maria's Taco Xpress? Man those muffin top icecream sandwiches sound good about now..........

you don't know how good they are/were! taken right out of the freezer, they were unreal... unfortunately they're in Austin at 25th/S. Congress, only about 7.5 hours away! i think the name is Taste no Evil Muffins...

tuck
10-14-2008, 10:13 AM
you don't know how good they are/were! taken right out of the freezer, they were unreal... unfortunately they're in Austin at 25th/S. Congress, only about 7.5 hours away! i think the name is Taste no Evil Muffins...

I'll drive...lets go.

southernskye
10-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Maria's has the best breakfast tacos. They are on South Lamar not Congress.

Have you ever tried Guero’s Taco Bar? They are located at 1412 S. Congress Ave in Austin.

tuck
10-14-2008, 12:43 PM

Have you ever tried Guero’s Taco Bar? They are located at 1412 S. Congress Ave in Austin.

Love Guero's as well. The worst Taco Bar in Austin would make the top 5 list in OKC...no doubt!!!

OkieHornet
10-15-2008, 08:13 AM

my bad... i always get Lamar and Congress confused! it is on Lamar... my hotel was on Congress! the migas is what i had at Maria's... excellent as well... they've got that salsa that we think had pickled cilantro in it... never had anything like it and it had some heat as well...

we passed by Guero's on the way to Kerbey Lane and Maria's - looked like a neat place - good food?

southernskye
10-15-2008, 09:22 AM
It was good the last time I was there, but that was several years ago. There are many great places to eat in Austin. One of my favorite breakfast places is Magnolia Cafe (http://www.cafemagnolia.com/)

westsidesooner
10-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Okay, Ive hesitated to post my opinion here because I dont eat out much but love mexican food so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. And yes Im sure theres better tacos out there but nothing beats Taco Bueno after a few beers at 1am. Cheap and greasy. yum.

Has anyone tried those street/truck taco stands I see all the time on 23rd street? They always seem to have a crowd around them, but something about a rolling kitchen scares me. Im not one to experiment with gastrointestinal disorders!! Are they checked out by the health dept?

metro
10-15-2008, 11:25 AM
westside, scroll up about the taco vans, as well there is a dedicated thread (link above) about taco vans. I finally tried one and enjoyed it.

OkieHornet
10-16-2008, 08:17 AM
It was good the last time I was there, but that was several years ago. There are many great places to eat in Austin. One of my favorite breakfast places is Magnolia Cafe (http://www.cafemagnolia.com/)

the love migas at Magnolia are great, but my money's on the pancakes at Kerbey Lane...

CrimsonOberon
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Taqueria San Julian over on 1130 SW 59th. The Asada tacos there are heaven.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
10-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Don Nacho on S council

westsidesooner
10-17-2008, 12:44 PM
westside, scroll up about the taco vans, as well there is a dedicated thread (link above) about taco vans. I finally tried one and enjoyed it.

Thanks, I missed that thread before. I'm still trying to get the nerve to stop at the taco van. Someday!!

JMac
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
There is one - the new Pollo Chulo location at 5805 NW 50th in OKC - has delicious street vendor tacos. I have only tried the chicken, but they also make steak and fish varieties. The chicken is their signature citrus marinated and flame broiled recipe, garnished with fresh cilantro and onions, served with a side of homemade salsa and double-wrapped in fresh soft corn tacos. I have had good street vendor tacos elsewhere (but never in OKC) and these are possibly the best.

Phone is 4057922300.

metro
03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Ah yes, El Pollo Chulo, love that place! It's been 6 months or so since my last visit. I'll have to check out their new location. They're old location is still open too though!

Edmond Earl
03-08-2009, 05:46 AM
You might try Tacoville. I've been there several times. I believe they are on SW 29 and about Newcastle road.

Easy180
04-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Saw this so I thought I would resurrect this old thread

I think we just might have a new best 1AM taco if this turns out to be true

http://m.aol.com/news/default/getContent.do?link=http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/13/taco-bell-tests-taco-shell-made-entirely-of-doritos/

Mexican chain restaurant Taco Bell is reportedly testing the Doritos Locos Tacos, a taco shell made entirely of nacho cheese Doritos.

"Shut the front door and hand me a bib and some wet wipes to wipe the flavored dust from my trembling mouth!" blogger MB Quirk celebrated in The Consumerist.

The buzz surrounding the cheesy creation stems from the discovery of a July video making the viral rounds across the Web. In the footage, the willing taste tester exclaims that the taco is "everything I expected and more."

But not everyone is overtly impressed, considering that when it comes to extreme eats, Taco Bell has set the bar pretty high for itself.

"Much has been made of extreme food recently, what with KFC's Double Down and Denny's new bacon holocaust rippling through the Internet," Stephen Reader wrote for Death and Taxes. "Taco Bell, by contrast, has been crazy forever. In fact, Doritos Locos Tacos represent a relatively tame outing for the faux-Mexican chain."

So far only a handful of trial runs have been noted. Food blog GrubGrade released photos of the zesty taco shell taken in Toledo, Ohio, and other reports mention Taco Bell locations in Wichita, Kan.

Dustin
04-14-2011, 08:36 PM
You can polish a turd, but it's still a piece of $#it.

onthestrip
04-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Dorito taco, neat...

Go try the green chili pork taco from Los Comales on Agnew. Excellente

corwin1968
04-15-2011, 08:11 AM
I've been eating at Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th (just west of Penn) about once a week for ten years and I have nothing but praise for their food! I particularly love the fish tacos but they also have excellent burritos (I prefer chicken) and tortas (I prefer marinated pork).

jstaylor62
04-15-2011, 11:53 AM
The Taco truck parked on the North side of the street in the 4000 block of NW 10th. I think its called Taco Sanchez. $1 beef tacos. Corn torilla, spicy beef, onion and cilantro. $5 gets you quite a bit of food!