View Full Version : new thunder uniforms

okcsince1987
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
The new Oklahoma City Thunder jerseys are here. I wanted to hear what everyone thinks. Personally, I think they are bland. Anywayz....lets hear it.

okcsince1987
09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
There are pics on News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Home (http://www.news9.com).

Midtowner
09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree. They could have taken the team colors and made a nice plaid.

UnFrSaKn
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Introducing your Oklahoma City Light Blue Knicks - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Introducing-your-Oklahoma-City-Light-Blue-Knicks;_ylt=Ag9XApTuZa2.n.Quxm_L66m8vLYF?urn=nba,1 11278)

I see people love them already.

OKC PATROL
09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Whaaaaa...
The unis look great. A classic look. The pics you gave look like sh!t. Look them over again on video so you can actually see them.
NewsOK.tv (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1825615789)

Kerry
09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Introducing your Oklahoma City Light Blue Knicks - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Introducing-your-Oklahoma-City-Light-Blue-Knicks;_ylt=Ag9XApTuZa2.n.Quxm_L66m8vLYF?urn=nba,1 11278)

I see people love them already.

Big surprise, the people from Seattle on that link don't like them. The good news for them is they don't have to. I like the uniforms. Much better than I was fearing. However, I am still failing to make the connection between the logo/uniforms and Thunder.

jstanthrnme
09-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Nothing crazy and dramatic which is good. I'm okay with them. I'm with Kerry, still no connection with team name. Although on some of the news clips, it showed player photos being taken in front of storm clouds.

2 other questions for anyone might know:
Are the jerseys for sale now?
and, was any info on the dance team or mascot given?

GWB
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
There are pics on News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Home (http://www.news9.com).

There's also a poll on this page to vote on whether or not you like the uniform. Right now is split down the middle, 50-50.

bandnerd
09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Because, you know, that a team's success is completely and totally dependent on the coolness factor of their uniforms.

:rolleyes:

I'm not a fan, but I can't say that I would have made anything that looks better.

grantgeneral78
09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
YUKKK, SPIT , PATEWIE!! Sheesh some of our high schools have better uniforms. Those are butt ugly

Richard at Remax
09-29-2008, 07:22 PM
the home are pretty good. the blue ones, bleh.

UnFrSaKn
09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
2 other questions for anyone might know:
Are the jerseys for sale now?

uh...

NBAThunderShop.com: The Oklahoma City Thunder's Home Team Store (http://www.nbathundershop.com/)

metro
09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
another failed opportunity from Bennett and Co. Again, I'm a big fan and will be the first one at the games with my summercamp black t-shirt but Bennett failed again to brand the team and not reflecting the team name with the look. Nothing about these say thunder other than the actual words and knicks jerseys/dorito logo. sad to say I'm not surprised.

Durant and the guy on the left look like they'd rather be playing peanuckle or something other than being there. They do not look like players that are proud to wear the jerseys. I think the expression on the players faces at the logo unveiling and now the uni unveiling show how the players really feel about the logo/uni's. These aren't jersey's you'll see youth wearing outside the NBA store in NYC, Vegas, etc.

NewsOK.tv (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1825615667)

betts
09-29-2008, 10:18 PM
There's an interview with a bunch of the guys on the team where they say they really like the unis. I think they were just embarrassed that they had to model them. I'd feel dumb doing it too.

Broccoli and cheese doesn't really say Sonics to me either.

I like the unis. I think the color combinations are interesting, and yet they used a fairly classic design. But, with the four colors, there's a bit of a twist. The "dickey adds more than you would think for such a small piece of fabric, and I like the contrast of colors.

Again, go look at some of the old unis where NBA teams tried to be creative. Almost all of them are a disaster. Classic is good. Would we rather have the new sky blue Hornets unis with the purple stripes and the silly fleur de bee? Not me.

And, who you see wearing which jersey is directly related to how well the team is doing, and how admired the stars on the team are. If Durant has a banner year, you'll see kids everywhere wearing his jersey.

NativeOkie
09-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Could have been worse.
They could be wearing all orange

EvokeCoffee
09-30-2008, 06:04 AM
I think they are fine - better to keep them simple and clean then try something crazy and have it back fire. They may be boring but can a uniform with text only be "butt ugly?"

I'm sure things will change with the uniforms as time goes on and maybe they will add a few jerseys here and there to go along with the two they released.

Kind of reminds me of the Bulls - pretty basic - and they did ok back in the day!

..be bold

CuatrodeMayo
09-30-2008, 07:41 AM
I dig the v-neck look.

SouthsideSooner
09-30-2008, 08:02 AM
I really like both the home and away uni's. The home version is excellent.

I'm very happy that they went with a more subdued classic look, as opposed to something loud and flashy.

The logo looks very good on the shorts.

BDP
09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
These are great uniforms. I am so glad they have stayed away from the slick and flashy when it has come to developing the brand. I like the strength conveyed by the classic and understated approach they have taken with the logo and the uniforms. You look around the league with its shiny uniforms and gawdy logos, and I think Oklahoma City has developed a great traditional look for its brand compared to much of the league. They avoided falling prey to trends and kept it simple. I also think seeing the name on the uniforms gives it a lot more street cred as well.

I'm also glad they didn't go with 'OKC'. That makes it sound like they're playing for the airport.

Unfortunately, I can't say as much for some of the tangential properties. Have you seen the Oklahoman's intro to their online video's for the Thunder? Very weak.

Of course, it's not like the negativity couldn't have been easily anticipated. At least they're not up there trying to explain why they're named after medieval land lords, like so many wanted.

I think the expression on the players faces at the logo unveiling and now the uni unveiling show how the players really feel about the logo/uni's.

I think that expression has more to do with them being used as models. Their talents are not geared towards the runway. What would you have done? Go out there with a smile and "Golly Gee! Thumbs Up, peeps!". How about we give them a little more credit with what they're actually saying about the uniforms.

Rover
09-30-2008, 09:37 AM
I love how all the bitter Seattle posters will bash ANYTHING to do with the Thunder. Okay, so how ugly were the Sonic uniforms, colors and logos. Let's be honest here.

Midtowner
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I like the uniforms. I think they're just fine.

Some of y'all have a terrible inferiority complex. Most of the folks bitching here would be bitching no matter what the uniforms looked like. Jump on the bandwagon folks... or you can just cheer for the Mavs since our logo and uniforms have disappointed so much.

Pete
09-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Regardless of what they look like now, NBA teams frequently tweak their uniforms so you can be guaranteed they will continue to evolve.

I just think it's great to finally see "Oklahoma City" on the front of official NBA jerseys!

hipsterdoofus
09-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I like them...classic, not too flashy...

betts
09-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I love how all the bitter Seattle posters will bash ANYTHING to do with the Thunder. Okay, so how ugly were the Sonic uniforms, colors and logos. Let's be honest here.

BAD.

Even if you don't love them (which I do), our unis are light years better than the Sonics unis (especially away), IMO.

jbrown84
09-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Have you seen the Oklahoman's intro to their online video's for the Thunder? Very weak.

So true. It's bad.

OKCMallen
09-30-2008, 01:04 PM
The uniforms are really pretty good considering the colors they had to work with, and I especially like the away jerseys.

ddavidson8
09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Here's a crazy idea. Is there a possibility that these unis are only intended to be used for a year or two? I mean they are so plain (although I love the road jerseys) that they must be a temporary fix. I figure we get a new logo and set of jerseys in less than 3 years.

Also, if you don't like the unis and logo, speak out with your wallet. NBA merchandise is a huge buisness and part of the reason that many of the smaller and lesser known names are always changing their gear. Notice the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, and even the Sonics to an extent, rarely make large changes to their look. While a team like the Rockets has made at least 3 changes in 10-15 years.

If the fans and the "thugs" don't buy the jerseys, chances are the higher ups are going to start thinking about new stuff.

ddavidson8
09-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Also, let me just say that the road unis couldn't be better. As much as I hate the logo and the off centered Thunder, the blue uniforms are perfect. Great simple design and the words Oklahoma City are featured.

Great stuff. That, I'll buy. But absolutely nothing that "features" the logo.

betts
10-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Here's a crazy idea. Is there a possibility that these unis are only intended to be used for a year or two? I mean they are so plain (although I love the road jerseys) that they must be a temporary fix. I figure we get a new logo and set of jerseys in less than 3 years.

They seem to get reinvented all the time. I'm sure we'll get alternate roads unis, although I really like these too. There will be a secondary (or primary) logo one of these days, and we'll have unis reflecting that. Or we'll have some that say OKC instead of Oklahoma City.

john60
10-01-2008, 01:48 AM
God help us if our primary home uni's ever say "OKC"...the only other team that does that to my knowledge is Phoenix, and the "PHX" accross the front chest is ridiculous.