View Full Version : New street signs for the Asian District

Joe Schmoe
07-29-2004, 06:27 PM
This week I noticed new red signs atop the street markers on Classen between 23rd & I think, 39th.

I like the way the City is developing the concept of districts and the Asian District in my neighborhood is growing quite nicely. I would like to see them build big markers like they have outside Chinatown in San Francisco. I know, it seems that the majority of the City's Asian pop is Vietnamese, but some large gold Chinese dragons would be cool, or maybe foo dogs.

It was interesting to me to find out that the Chinatown concept & Chinese postcard architechture in SF are not organic, but calculated by an asian enterpenuer.

Does anyone know about plans for more identification of districts in the City? I guess I need to email my buddy in the planning ofice to see what's up.

HOT ROD
07-29-2004, 10:24 PM
I remember they were discussing a gate entrance on Classen just south of 23rd, plus the lightposts (it is great to see them installed), and Chinatown themed amenities like phone booths, bus benches/shelters, and community banners.

Dont worry about the ethnicity issue for Oklahoma City's asian district. Vietnamese follow many of the traditions that Chinese have and their cultures are almost identical. In fact, most asian cultures are very similar to Chinese - as it is often considered the mother culture ( the Chinese Characters, cuisine, religions and superstitions, and so on were the basis for most of the asian continent). It is even argued, that most Mongol peoples could be traced to the original Chinese (mongol is technical way of saying Asian genus).

So in a nutshell, Chinese-Vietnamese-Japanese-Korean all came about because of national pride but culture began from the Chinese. So most asians have no issue with Chinatown's in America; as they all celebrate Lunar New Year, Moon Festival, and other traditional Chinese observations.

I think it is great that OKC has a large Asian community. I know Viet is the number 1 by far, but I think we have some 10,000 Chinese (China, Hong Kongese, and Taiwanese), 4,000 Japanese, and sizable numbers of Korean, filipino, and Thai as well.

I know this as my fiance is Taiwanese and for the most part, they are Chinese with the exception of national distinction. Yes, Taiwanese dialect is a little bit different than Mandarin and the cuisine is not as fancy as the Chinese (Szechuan, Hunan, Shangainese, Peking/Mandarin, Cantonese, so on ..) but Taiwanese follow the same traditional holidays (just not the Communist China ones). So does Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean. Thai, Malaysian, and filipino are a little different because of colonialization from the west or religion (Muslim is big there!!!) which tend to supress traditional Chinese observance as pagan.

Most Asians are happy to go to Chinatown as really, Chinatowns are really Asiatowns. Just like ours is named, Asian District. And I am glad we have ours and hope it will continue to grow and be a major part of our new renaissance!

Joe Schmoe
07-30-2004, 07:55 AM
My children & I have always enjoyed the cheap ability of going to an exotic place where no one is speaking English, just by going to the corner market.

If you close your eyes while waiting in line at the Cao Nguyen Market, you can be transported halfway around the globe.

Then go a few blocks south to sixteenth street & eat down home Preruvian dinners at the little mom & pop cafe in the Plaza.

Cascading fireworks & dragon dances during Chinese new year, remembering to say "hola" to my neighbors.

That's the stuff that makes me love my little home in the CDB.

(The Mexican custom of putting the clothesline in the front yard I'm not crazy about,) but all in all, I love the concentrated ethnicity of families pursuing the American dream.

Oh yeah, & ask the government on the Mainland if they consider Taiwan to be Chinese or not...

HOT ROD
07-30-2004, 04:41 PM
You know PRC considers Taiwan to be a renegade Chinese province, but we all know better! Over 90% of Taiwanese are Han Chinese but Taiwan is a separate entity. They just need to stand-up and declare independence (just like the US did against GB, and most other new countries have done). There are many countries with an ethnic majority that predates back to a mother nation but the country is still different. Yes there is one China and it is PRC. Taiwan is Taiwan. (ok enough political rambling).

I agree with you about the enjoyment of ethnic enclaves. They help add to the cosmopolitan amenities OKC (and other large cities) has to offer. Yes, it is great to see and hear the wonders of the world right in our front yard. True, many customs are strange (like the clothesline issue you spoke of) but hey, that is what makes the world go around! And I am very happy that OKC has a slice of the world!

Hopefully, it will get bigger!

mranderson
07-30-2004, 04:54 PM
I have no problem with markers similar to other major cities to mark the ethnic areas.

I find similarities in Oklahoma City with Los Angeles. They have a serious gang problem, we have a serious gang problem (one of the worst). They have their city seal on their black and white patrol cars, we have our city seal on our black and whit patrol cars. There are other examples. So, why not place signs with the name of the ethnicity of the area.

The other side of the coin... Caucasiontown? :rolleyes:

Joe Schmoe
07-30-2004, 08:16 PM
"The other side of the coin... Caucasiontown? "

Uh... that would be Nichols Hills...

:eek:

Patrick
08-03-2004, 01:16 AM
Hey Joe Schmoe......I definitely agree with you! I wish we had a better entrance to our Asian District. And the Urban Design commission, or whatever it's called, should require that any new buildings or renovations in that area are Asian in appearance! I'd like for that area to become a true little Asian village! Your idea of having gold dragons at the entrances rocks! Maybe next to the Gold Dome a Japanese Pagoda Garden could be built! Wouldn't that be fun! And if the city plans on installing new lighting in the area, it needs to look Asian, and not just be the same old typical historic-appearing lamp posts.

A real Asian Market Place would be nice somewhere down there as well.

GrandMaMa
09-22-2006, 08:26 AM
You know PRC considers Taiwan to be a renegade Chinese province, but we all know better! Over 90% of Taiwanese are Han Chinese but Taiwan is a separate entity. They just need to stand-up and declare independence (just like the US did against GB, and most other new countries have done). There are many countries with an ethnic majority that predates back to a mother nation but the country is still different. Yes there is one China and it is PRC. Taiwan is Taiwan. (ok enough political rambling).

I agree with you about the enjoyment of ethnic enclaves. They help add to the cosmopolitan amenities OKC (and other large cities) has to offer. Yes, it is great to see and hear the wonders of the world right in our front yard. True, many customs are strange (like the clothesline issue you spoke of) but hey, that is what makes the world go around! And I am very happy that OKC has a slice of the world!

Hopefully, it will get bigger!This is definitely the other side of the coin when it comes to assimilation into the American culture. What do we really want? Out of one side our our mouths (include me in this) we say, "If you want to become part of our country, learn the customs, learn the language, don't make us spend extra dollars for police, medical personell, educators, etc who can speak God knows how many languages and dialects and print textbooks in your language and, above all, print out voting ballots in a lanuage that is different than what is spoken in the country in which you wish to vote." and out of the other side of our mouths come this dialog that I have just been reading. I could have been the one writing it and feeling quite comfortable with what I was saying. Are we not sending mixed messages to those of ethnicity? Is there a happy medium that affords both and how are we goin to reach it? Yes, there are many Mom and Pop businesses, especially in these ethnic districts that pay taxes, but there are many who don't, who make their money and return to their homeland to live off the American dollars. I'm not posting to inflame, I am just encouraging us, myself included to decide what we really want. There are Asian, Mexican, Indian (Native)& Black colleges and awards and scholarships, awarded just because the color of one's skin...I haven't seen one that you have to be Caucasion to receive...that would be a big NO No, wouldn't it? Don't you think that when those "little pushes" are offerred, it is saying: "We know that you can't do it on your own, so here, we will help you." "Either by your ethnicity or your IQ or your background, we know that you can't make it without a handout." I would love to hear other's comments.

Pete
09-22-2006, 08:42 AM
http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/images/3pictures/street2.jpg

http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/images/3pictures/gatecao.jpg

http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/

GrandMaMa
09-22-2006, 10:20 AM
http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/images/3pictures/street2.jpg

http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/images/3pictures/gatecao.jpg

http://www.asiandistrictokc.com/What if it said, "Caucasian district"? Again, is this what we really want? And, if so, don't you think that those different ethnic groups have an obligation to help fund the extra funds that it requires to accommodate the "special ethnic differences"?

floater
09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
What if it said, "Caucasian district"? Again, is this what we really want? And, if so, don't you think that those different ethnic groups have an obligation to help fund the extra funds that it requires to accommodate the "special ethnic differences"?

If you had a "Caucasian District", it would be the rest of the city other than the other cultural districts. Let's separate the wheat from the chaff: assimilation and learning English are one thing; creating this district is another. It not meant to segregate people or make them function as if they never left. It is a cultural place meant to give flavor to OKC and recognize the entrepreneurship which was lacking in the area before. It shows that OKC is a real city with diverse people, more than the hayseed image the rest of the country pegs to Oklahoma. People visiting OK for the first time discover that it's much more than they thought it was. Believe it or not, some people actually like experiencing other cultures. It increases visitor opportunities, giving them more options to spend. That's a return that is much larger than the funds you think the city is wasting.

GrandMaMa
09-22-2006, 11:30 AM
If you had a "Caucasian District", it would be the rest of the city other than the other cultural districts. Let's separate the wheat from the chaff: assimilation and learning English are one thing; creating this district is another. It not meant to segregate people or make them function as if they never left. It is a cultural place meant to give flavor to OKC and recognize the entrepreneurship which was lacking in the area before. It shows that OKC is a real city with diverse people, more than the hayseed image the rest of the country pegs to Oklahoma. People visiting OK for the first time discover that it's much more than they thought it was. Believe it or not, some people actually like experiencing other cultures. It increases visitor opportunities, giving them more options to spend. That's a return that is much larger than the funds you think the city is wasting.By wasting, are you referring to the added expense of simply having those of another culture, language, etc added to the mix? Yes, it does add to the cost, but that was not what I was particularly referring to. Yes, I appreciate the diversity of several cultures, no, I don't appreciate having to pay extra when it comes to education, from pre K to College..yes, now the US is formulating new scholarships for those of immigrants, legal and/or illegal for higher education, when children who were born here are saddled with 50 to $80,000 debt by the time that they graduate college. Do you think that is fair? Do you think that being able to display ethnic differences in our country is worth that?

floater
09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
GMM, you are talking about two separate things. The Asian district is a city effort to boost urban life. The issue about minority scholarships is different altogether.

GrandMaMa
09-22-2006, 12:42 PM
GMM, you are talking about two separate things. The Asian district is a city effort to boost urban life. The issue about minority scholarships is different altogether.Is it? Oh, I get it! Celebrate the differences when it lines the pocket book and adds color to the city...seems to me like putting lipstick on a pig, and I don't mean that literally. If that's all it meant, it would be great, but it isn't all it means. It also means all that I mentioned before, and paying the bill for it. Again, remember that I thought that I knew where I stood as well, but now, I don't know just how compatible what I thought I thought and what I think now is.

John
09-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Every other city has a 'Chinatown', ours is a little more inclusive.

windowphobe
09-22-2006, 06:25 PM
This area was wasting away before the influx of Vietnamese and other Pacific Rim folk, starting in the middle 1970s; they built it back to respectability.

Don't believe me? Believe Tom Waken, who's been dealing in properties in this area for decades. He sent this to the Mid-City Advocate a couple of years ago:

The Asian business people staked out Classen Blvd. in 1975.... they are responsible for bringing Classen from a dying area to a place where business is thriving and property owners and business owners are paying more taxes into the city's treasury than they were previously.

I am for any ethnic group who will build up our great city to proudly display their own district with their signs. It is good for everyone who lives in Oklahoma City.

All the original Asian District signage, incidentally, was paid for by the businesses therein themselves.

Pete
09-22-2006, 06:47 PM
We also have special signage for historical areas like Heritage Hills and various other public improvements for neighborhoods.

And America has never been about fully assimilating... If that was the case, we'd all have adopted the culture of Native Americans. Each ethnic group brings something unique and that helps the American culture continue to evolve.

I love the fact OKC has a unique Asian district full of restaurants, shops and businesses. It seems Capitol Hill is becoming the Hispanic area and I'd like to see that more fully developed as well.

There are lots of benefits that have already been noted, but also it's in these types of areas you get some great, reasonable, family-run authentic restaurants and OKC has a real dearth of those compared to other cities of it's size.

GrandMaMa
09-22-2006, 10:01 PM
We also have special signage for historical areas like Heritage Hills and various other public improvements for neighborhoods.

And America has never been about fully assimilating... If that was the case, we'd all have adopted the culture of Native Americans. Each ethnic group brings something unique and that helps the American culture continue to evolve.

I love the fact OKC has a unique Asian district full of restaurants, shops and businesses. It seems Capitol Hill is becoming the Hispanic area and I'd like to see that more fully developed as well.

There are lots of benefits that have already been noted, but also it's in these types of areas you get some great, reasonable, family-run authentic restaurants and OKC has a real dearth of those compared to other cities of it's size.It appears that I have done a poor job of expressing myself, as no one has addressed the point that I was attempting to make. I never said that the area has not been revived, quite the contrary. I never said that America has ever been or will be about "fully assimilating", keyword, "FULLY". I'm not talking about losing their culture, I am however, referring to those that don't wish to assimilate to the point that they are not a direct burden on the economy, local, state and federal. There is a middle of the road, and some don't seem to want to find it. Why? Because they don't have to. Because there are too many people that think that all US citizens have an obligation to pave the way, so that those of ethnicity can refrain from changing one iota. All people of the US are immigrants, of one time or the other. The Indian did not just sprout up out of the Oklahoma soil, as you surely know.

rocket60s
09-23-2006, 02:00 AM
I agree with GMM. I'm also "Too old NOT to care".

I couldn't believe what I was reading on this post.

Joe Schmoe LOVES going to the corner store where no one is speaking English?????

You guys need to watch what you wish for. BTW, what cultural districts do you live in?? Malibu??

Malibu believes the Capitol Hill hispanic area needs to be more fully developed. What about the residents & businesses that have called this area home for decades? This site mentions the gang problem & rise in crime in the area. I'm sure you'd feel different about it if it were your immediate neighorhood. There are alot of businesses & churches that have signs only in Spanish and it is spreading far past Capitol Hill. One business displayed a metal sign in English. It read "Mexican Parking Only".

Oh, and "Caucasian District"? That will come with "Miss White Oklahoma".

plmccordj
09-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Any plans to do this with the even more well defined Mexican South side? Just curious. I live on the South side and it is very Mexican from SE 15th to 44th and from High to near Penn. Not a complaint, just an observation.

GrandMaMa
09-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I agree with GMM. I'm also "Too old NOT to care".

I couldn't believe what I was reading on this post.

Joe Schmoe LOVES going to the corner store where no one is speaking English?????

You guys need to watch what you wish for. BTW, what cultural districts do you live in?? Malibu??

Malibu believes the Capitol Hill hispanic area needs to be more fully developed. What about the residents & businesses that have called this area home for decades? This site mentions the gang problem & rise in crime in the area. I'm sure you'd feel different about it if it were your immediate neighorhood. There are alot of businesses & churches that have signs only in Spanish and it is spreading far past Capitol Hill. One business displayed a metal sign in English. It read "Mexican Parking Only".

Oh, and "Caucasian District"? That will come with "Miss White Oklahoma".Thank you for your comment, I was beginning to think that I was "too old to think", as well.

GrandMaMa
09-23-2006, 04:27 PM
duplicate post

Kerry
09-23-2006, 07:38 PM
I just left my meeting of the National Association for the Advancement of White People and we are thinking about donating money to the United Caucasion College Fund. I would like to post more but I have to go to a meeting of the Suburban League. We have a big vote tonight on trying get a National White History Month. John Kerry is going to come pander to us so I better get there early.

I understand what you are saing Grandma, although it dosn't seem anyone else does.

GrandMaMa
09-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I just left my meeting of the National Association for the Advancement of White People and we are thinking about donating money to the United Caucasion College Fund. I would like to post more but I have to go a meeting of the Suburban League. We have a big vote tonight on trying get a National White History Month. John Kerry is going to come pander to us so I better get there early.

I understand what you are saing Grandma, although it dosn't seem anyone else does.Thank you, Kerry...and by the way, your post was a hoot!

rxis
09-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Just to make things clear. Asians are not classified as part of the minoriy when it comes to financial aid. Minority scholarships usually means anyone but asians.

I believe it was somewhat settled several years ago that the only other language the gov't really provides for is Spanish, like for driving license tests.

Also, do you guys think the Asians who shop there really care for the city to build up signs and stuff?

"business people staked out Classen Blvd. in 1975.... they are responsible for bringing Classen from a dying area to a place where business is thriving and property owners and business owners are paying more taxes into the city's treasury than they were previously."

Thats typically how ethnic neighborhoods get started.

rxis
09-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Also, do you guys think the Asians who shop there really care for the city to build up signs and stuff?

Don't really know how to explain this.

Who do you think is more interested in labeling the region Little Saigon, Chinatown, or "fill in here"?
Isn't the area predominately Vietnamese owned? I don't believe the Vietnamese people in Oklahoma would like to be grouped with the Chinese.
Would you say Koreans and Vietnamese are similar? I don't think they would think so.

I think the residence is mostly occupied by black people. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm only taking a guess from what I observe when I'm there.

How would the black people or simply non-asians from the neighborhood feel?
Would the people with non asian ties to the region be upset? So now not only are the Vietnamese running the businesses, but the whole area is going to be labelled after them?

And there are Caucasian towns, depending on your definition of caucasian. Anthropology can be tricky.
There are Russian, Jewish, Italian, Irish, Lebanese regions. Many have dispersed but many do exist and many cities have started from those origins.

Pretty much every Chinatown in any of the major cities in N. & S. America started in need to become self-sufficient due to descrimination dating from way back in the 18th century when many Asians were starting to be brought in for labor. Its not like they had much of a choice on where they wanted to locate their homes or businesses.

GrandMaMa
09-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Just to make things clear. Asians are not classified as part of the minoriy when it comes to financial aid. Minority scholarships usually means anyone but asians.

I believe it was somewhat settled several years ago that the only other language the gov't really provides for is Spanish, like for driving license tests.

"business people staked out Classen Blvd. in 1975.... they are responsible for bringing Classen from a dying area to a place where business is thriving and property owners and business owners are paying more taxes into the city's treasury than they were previously."

Thats typically how ethnic neighborhoods get started.#1..Just to make things clear: Please quote your source of information that backs up your statement.

#2..Wrong, wrong, wrong! Let me say it again, wrong! Just this last week, I watched a long special re: A hospital, (will look it up and quote, chapter and verse) that was being sued because they didn't emply interpreters for all nationalities of patients that they treated. Do you know that that means? Think about it..ALL PATIENTS!

#3. Do I think the Asians really care about the signs? No, I think that the only thing the Asians or any business owner in that district cares about is the money that they are making and how quickly they can retire...I don't think that they have any emotional attachment to the city or to any improvement other than to their bank account.

#4...Yes, they staked out the area because of the lower values and easy acces to ownership...they not only made money in their particular venture, they also made money in the re-valuation of the property. Not complaining, it's good business, but it doesn't deserve a Saintship or a medal.

#5...What's typically how Ethnic neighborhoods get started? Where everyone speaks the same language, likes the same color, what?

rxis
09-24-2006, 01:06 AM
It has been a few years since I've tried applying for any scholarships. I just now did a rough search online. I was surprised to find that a lot of Asians as well as Caucasians are now respresented in what were once minority scholarships. Also found a lot more scholarships for underprivileged students now instead of just minority students. Theres some news articles about this as well if you care to look it up.

http://www.nacme.org/scholarships/

It's not much, but its one example of Asian exclusion from minority or underrepresented groups. There used to be what seemed like was a standard line on scholarship rules blantly stating that Asians were excluded.

Yep, I was wrong about the language thing. Looked it upa bit but didn't delve into it.
OK DMV has stopped providing their publications in any language other than English and Spanish since several years ago. It depends from state to state. I don't know about any other OK government forms and publications in any other language. I don't know of any IRS forms and publications in any other language either except for foreign accounts forms(or whatever they are called)

I think its a good thing to have a translation service available at hospitals. I'm glad I had one in France...hehe

Anyway, if a hospital is required to provide a translation service then I don't care if they get sued for not having one.

"Also, do you guys think the Asians who shop there really care for the city to build up signs and stuff?"

oops, I meant the shop owners. I just don't think the ma nd pa owners care for it much. Business people will continue to develop the area with time but I don't see any reason not to enhance the parks, entrances, whatever when they need replacing in order to make it more of a tourist attraction.

As for the ethnic neighborhood part, I was just saying immigrants often move into regions that are dying and revive it.

"What if it said, "Caucasian district"? Again, is this what we really want? And, if so, don't you think that those different ethnic groups have an obligation to help fund the extra funds that it requires to accommodate the "special ethnic differences"?"

I don't know how the street signs are paid for, but doesn't it come out of the taxes they generate?

Omg, wondering off into a million directions and im sleeping late again on the comp. Good night

GrandMaMa
09-24-2006, 07:36 AM
It has been a few years since I've tried applying for any scholarships. I just now did a rough search online. I was surprised to find that a lot of Asians as well as Caucasians are now respresented in what were once minority scholarships. Also found a lot more scholarships for underprivileged students now instead of just minority students. Theres some news articles about this as well if you care to look it up.

http://www.nacme.org/scholarships/

It's not much, but its one example of Asian exclusion from minority or underrepresented groups. There used to be what seemed like was a standard line on scholarship rules blantly stating that Asians were excluded.
I could have added over 100 more links, but thought that might be just a little much, but here are a few that will prove my point:

http://www.asianscholarship.org/
http://boe.townofmanchester.org/asian_scholarships.htm
http://www.iie.org/programs/freeman-asia/index.html
http://www.hawaii.edu/shaps/asia/aid_grad.html
http://www.hawaii.edu/issmanoa/student_awards.htm
http://www.aaja.org/programs/for_students/scholarships/
http://www.asu.edu/clas/asian/scholarship.html
http://www.iie.org/programs/freeman-asia/index.html
http://www.marineducationfund.org/students/ug_schol.html
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news9121.html
http://www.imf.org/external/oap/schol.htm
http://www.adb.org/jsp/
http://libarts.wsu.edu/asia/scholarships/index.html

Yep, I was wrong about the language thing. Looked it upa bit but didn't delve into it.
OK DMV has stopped providing their publications in any language other than English and Spanish since several years ago. It depends from state to state. I don't know about any other OK government forms and publications in any other language. I don't know of any IRS forms and publications in any other language either except for foreign accounts forms(or whatever they are called)

I think its a good thing to have a translation service available at hospitals. I'm glad I had one in France...hehe

Anyway, if a hospital is required to provide a translation service then I don't care if they get sued for not having one.Do you have a clue as to what this does to our medical costs? We pay for it, you and I.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/1500AP_Hospital_Translators.html
http://www.newyorkbusiness.com/news.cms?id=14734
There are a lot more resources that I could quote on this issue as well.

From this point on in your post, I'm not going to bother to address, as apparently you were tired and decided not to address it either.

Here are a few sources of information regarding existing laws that require many forms to be printed in several languages...as I said, there are 100's more that I could post:

http://www.eagleforum.org/psr/1995/psrdec95.html
http://www.dir.ca.gov/WP.asp
http://www.citypaper.net/articles/072795/article004.shtml
http://www.msec.org/personnel_forms/
http://www.vcgcb.ca.gov/VCApp.htm
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/epn/epnforms.htm
http://www.osha.gov/pls/publications/pubindex.list
http://www.usoge.gov/pages/forms_pubs_otherdocs/forms_pubs_other_pg2.html
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/4205761.html

"Also, do you guys think the Asians who shop there really care for the city to build up signs and stuff?"

oops, I meant the shop owners. I just don't think the ma nd pa owners care for it much. Business people will continue to develop the area with time but I don't see any reason not to enhance the parks, entrances, whatever when they need replacing in order to make it more of a tourist attraction.

As for the ethnic neighborhood part, I was just saying immigrants often move into regions that are dying and revive it.

"What if it said, "Caucasian district"? Again, is this what we really want? And, if so, don't you think that those different ethnic groups have an obligation to help fund the extra funds that it requires to accommodate the "special ethnic differences"?"

I don't know how the street signs are paid for, but doesn't it come out of the taxes they generate?

Omg, wondering off into a million directions and im sleeping late again on the comp. Good night

This is what I'm talking about. By virtue of the fact that there are a great number of minorities who don't bother to learn the English language, it directly impacts local, state and Federal dollars and how they are spent. This problem is wider spread than I could even begin to illustrate, but believe me, it is a growing problem and needs to be addressed...after all, it isn't free.

HOT ROD
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
OK everyone. This thread has gotten WAY OFF TOPIC.

Heck, I hope Im the only person (and Floater) outside of OKC whose reading this - as this thread only perpetuates the image the world already has of OKC, i.e. backward, stereotypical, ultra-conservative, homophobic, and racist. I thought the NEW OKC was trying to shake this perception.

Can we move away from the rather bigoted minority exclusion/inclusion and caucasian ranting (start another thread somewhere else please) -

And get back to the topic of discussing the impact of the Asia District on urban Oklahoma City.

Thanks!

GrandMaMa
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
OK everyone. This thread has gotten WAY OFF TOPIC.

Heck, I hope Im the only person (and Floater) outside of OKC whose reading this - as this thread only perpetuates the image the world already has of OKC, i.e. backward, stereotypical, ultra-conservative, homophobic, and racist. I thought the NEW OKC was trying to shake this perception.

Can we move away from the rather bigoted minority exclusion/inclusion and caucasian ranting (start another thread somewhere else please) -

And get back to the topic of discussing the impact of the Asia District on urban Oklahoma City.

Thanks!And, specifically, you are referring to who's post and what issue are you directing your comment to? If you are suggesting that I am any of those things, you are way off track. Maybe the topic got off track, but to what and whom are you referring?

metro
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
joeshmoe, those little red signs aren't really new, they've been there at least a year, in fact there is a larger nicer one that is green, gold and red and has a picture of a dragon on it. there are several other threads with all the plans going on in the Asian District. You might check out the original thread for more info:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/4814-asian-district-updates.html?highlight=asian+district

HOT ROD
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
And, specifically, you are referring to who's post and what issue are you directing your comment to? If you are suggesting that I am any of those things, you are way off track. Maybe the topic got off track, but to what and whom are you referring?
nm

GrandMaMa
09-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Is that for never mind?
nm

Kerry
09-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Out of curosity, does anyone know how the "Asian District" boundaries were drawn? Is it just the visual perception of a number of Asian food stores or is there actually a higher than normal concentration of Asian residents compared to other parts of the city? If there is a high concentration, how high is it. I guess I am just wondering what makes the Asian ditrict different from any other part of the city.

If the food court at the mall has 6 places to eat and 2 are Asian, is the food court an Asian district?

jbrown84
09-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Kerry, the concentration of Asian restaurants and businesses is OBVIOUSLY the sign of a high population of Asians in the area. I can also testify to it because my church is about a mile and a half down 23rd and we have a booming Korean congregation and our Vietnamese congregation became so large that it became its own church a couple years ago.

Kerry
09-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks JBROWN84. I knew there are some Korean congregations in the area. However, I would still like to know the population stats. Guess I can try and find some census data.

Spartan
09-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Any plans to do this with the even more well defined Mexican South side? Just curious. I live on the South side and it is very Mexican from SE 15th to 44th and from High to near Penn. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Gotta have an even hand... :respect:

HOT ROD
09-29-2006, 07:05 PM
I believe I heard/saw there is some 12,000 Vietnamese and 20,000 total Asian population in the district.

For those of you who are not used to big city status, it is very common in big cities for ethnic neighbourhoods to spring up. Actually, Oklahoma City has very many of these (you guys must be in denial or have blinders on) than JUST the Asian District.

But, in these ethnic neighbourhoods one can find food and culture from their native lands. Not everyone likes to go to a Christian church (or church at all), or eat at an american steak buffet, or go to Bricktown for nightlife. These ethnic neighbourhoods bring a much needed variety to a big city and most big cities have them.

In addition, an ethnic neighbourhood often has resources available that an immigrant could enjoy that he or she otherwise would not be exposed to. Could you imagine if YOU were in China and there were NO Americanized businesses or neighbourhoods?? Wouldn't you want to get out of there OR just stay away/at home?

Well, Chinatowns and their other enclave cousins foster a sense of Openness and Freedom to those who aren't as comfortable in dealing with the "mainstream Oklahoma society" (for whatever the reasons - shy on up to outright discrimination).

Often times, if you see something familiar or people like you who are successful - then you "come out" more. And you surely can't get good dim sum from an American place however Grand House in Asia District has some of the best (that you'd see in SF, Vancouver, and China).

Those of you who are still wondering what Im talking about, ask yourselves this question - and be honest:

How many people do you know of who are non-white and think/act differently than you do (more than just acquaintance)? Furthermore, how many of these people's cultures DO YOU actually experience or have exposure to?

Do YOU know the true meaning of the Lunar New Year? or when the Moon Festival is? Not to mention, when is it?

Dont feel ashamed if you can't answer (and I'd imagine the majority of you can't answer as positively as I could, no offense). But because you probably dont have the exposure - that is why ethnic enclaves exist.

Because if America were a "true" capitalist melting pot - well then there would be no discrimination, there would be equal access and INTEREST in our diversity, and there would be no need for people to "pool together" their resources to survive.

And hence, that is why we have the Asia District, and Capital Hill, and the Eastside, and 39th Street, and the developing Japantown area, and so forth.

Oh, and to those of you who seem to think that any of these districts are getting handouts consider this,

Oklahoma City has had a Little Saigon/Asia District for some 20 years (since the 1980's) yet its JUST NOW being recognized and promoted by the city. YET, we were taxed 1 cent for 5 years so that business men like Hogan, Brewer and the "crew" could get rich and give us Bricktown - arguably the fastest growing yet still fledgling nonetheless entertainment district in the southwest.

Not to mention "WE/ALL OKC Taxpayers (black, asians, latinos included)" payed some $20M for a Bass Pro Shop that arguably NONE of US in this forum have ever visited not to mention bought anything from.

And you guys are complaining about a streetscape the city has YET to complete for its Chinatown???? (and that's ALL OKC has ever promised to the Asia District, by the way). Cost? less than $5M if done right/successfully.

Now who is truly getting the handout????

Back to topic.

Doug Loudenback
10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Somewhat related to this thread: I've done the 1st of 2 blog posts related to the "Asian District(s)". The 1st, Asian District - The Underground, is here: Doug Dawgz Blog: Asian District - The Underground (http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/10/asian-district-underground.html) . It focuses on the "old" downtown Chinese Underground. Mostly, it contains text, but it contains a few images ... a couple are shown below from April 1969 when George Shirk explored areas discovered when excavation was going on for the Myriad Convention Center ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/asian/fantansheets.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/asian/shirkunderground.jpg

The article also shows the cool old building which earlier occupied the west side of the convention center space, the Commerce Exchange Building built in the mid-1920s.

http://www.dougloudenback.com/downtown/vintage/1920s.commerce2.jpg

A later blog article will focus on what is thought of as the "Asian District" today:

Street Sign Signage
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/asian/asiandistrict.jpg

Sun Moon Plaza to be built at Western & NW 23
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/asian/sunmoonplaza.jpg
Enjoy!