View Full Version : The "Eddy"

hipsterdoofus
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
So...as everyone else, I'm becoming more and more interested in public transportation, but does they taxpayers paying for a trolley bus thing to drive around empty all day bother anyone else? I make a point to look at The Eddy every time I see it and have never seen anyone besides the driver on it. I just recently moved back into Edmond but am considering asking my City Council member what the ridership levels are (if they would give those out).

I'd much rather see the city try to work on some sort of rail service to downtown OKC - I think that would at least be used.

John
09-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Here's a news story from Wednesdays Edmond Sun talking about the transportation study just completed... I believe they're (Edmond/UCO) trying to work on a fix, perhaps starting their own instead of contracting out from the MetroTransit, a la Norman/OU (CART).

The Edmond Sun, Edmond, OK - Officials discuss Edmond mass transit (http://www.edmondsun.com/archivesearch/local_story_267004728.html)

There was also a story in the Edmond section of the Oklahoman earlier this week, too. (Pretty much the same information, though)

hipsterdoofus
09-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the article - I notice that it seems to shy away from talking about riders on "The Eddy" - I'm sure that there ARE quite a few riders on Metro Transit to downtown and I'm glad of that - my issue has been with the local transit and wonder how many riders it gets.

jsibelius
09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
So...as everyone else, I'm becoming more and more interested in public transportation, but does they taxpayers paying for a trolley bus thing to drive around empty all day bother anyone else? I make a point to look at The Eddy every time I see it and have never seen anyone besides the driver on it. I just recently moved back into Edmond but am considering asking my City Council member what the ridership levels are (if they would give those out).

I'd much rather see the city try to work on some sort of rail service to downtown OKC - I think that would at least be used.

This is public information, so if you ask, they should be willing to provide the information. You may have to ask forcefully, though. They seem to be rather sensitive about that. It seems like there should be some sort of annual report somewhere with that information in it. I'll bet the public library knows where it is or where to get it.

I do remember seeing a story somewhere, maybe last year, about this very issue, and suggesting the Eddy should link up with a line going into OKC. The spokesman for Edmond vetoed that idea, basically saying it was not in Edmond's best interest to use taxpayer money to funnel people into OKC.

hipsterdoofus
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
This is public information, so if you ask, they should be willing to provide the information. You may have to ask forcefully, though. They seem to be rather sensitive about that. It seems like there should be some sort of annual report somewhere with that information in it. I'll bet the public library knows where it is or where to get it.

I do remember seeing a story somewhere, maybe last year, about this very issue, and suggesting the Eddy should link up with a line going into OKC. The spokesman for Edmond vetoed that idea, basically saying it was not in Edmond's best interest to use taxpayer money to funnel people into OKC.

I understand this, but I don't - Yes, the people are working in OKC - but they live in Edmond - it should be up to the people to decide if they want to use their tax dollars to help them get to work, no matter where they work...seems light a brighter idea than letting "the eddy" drive around empty all day...I think if I drove that thing I'd go insane from the pointlessness of it.

jsibelius
09-30-2008, 05:42 PM
I understand this, but I don't - Yes, the people are working in OKC - but they live in Edmond - it should be up to the people to decide if they want to use their tax dollars to help them get to work, no matter where they work...seems light a brighter idea than letting "the eddy" drive around empty all day...I think if I drove that thing I'd go insane from the pointlessness of it.

It could be the opposite as well - they work in Edmond but live in OKC. Actually, it's more likely to be this scenario.

But the guy was looking at it a little differently. Not from a living/working perspective, but from a shopping perspective. He was only seeing the possibly of sending spending money out to Quail Springs which I believe is in OKC city limits. (I won't swear to that - I'm still kinda new here.)

I actually think Edmond City Council is a bit myopic in more areas than just this one.

Midtowner
09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
I think there may be a sub-motive to the right honorable councilman's decision. Public transportation (at least 'round these parts) is typically used by individuals of, shall we say, lower socioeconomic standing. Edmond's niche is that it's a safe, exceedingly middle class, bedroom community.

Making their town more navigable for the poor is not something Edmond wants to do.

hipsterdoofus
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Making their town more navigable for the poor is not something Edmond wants to do.

Seems to not be the case...they are even offering to make it navigable to no one since again the thing drives around empty. I just think they should consider stepping up and thinking about running a train to downtown OKC. I'm sure it would be subsidized by the city, but at least people would ride it...average people, i'd wager.

roontburger2006
10-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Yea, that's the problem with Oklahoma. I love Oklahoma and have lived here all my life, but the public transportation is awful. And I understand the whole mentality of Edmond being a "safe community" but not everywhere that has public transporation has these kinds of people, IF they are even harmless.

The thing is, Oklahomans have grown up used to driving to get EVERYWHERE..but what's sad is there are so many international students in our universities that have no way of getting around hardly, or its just too difficult or expensive! I have a friend from Tokyo (and I've been there, the public transportation is amazing and everybody does it) studying at UCO and he wasn't able to buy his art supplies or hardly do anything for school because he had no way of getting around! We need to get out of this "trucks are the only way" bubble and into the times and at least have a LITTLE more public transportation widely available and cheaper. haha