View Full Version : Are there any dog free dog training groups?

grantgeneral78
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
We have a new boston terrier puppy that came with 336 "d cell" batteries!

W-e had gone to a dog training years ago with our dalmation but needless to say this is a tougher challenge, is there any groups that meet and train there pets?

FRISKY
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I know of several good training facilities, but none of them is free.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Doesn't Pets and People out in Yukon do something along these lines?

Or do you have to have adopted from there...

FritterGirl
09-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Depending upon your age, the Will Rogers and Woodson Senior Centers both offer canine training to our senior participants. The classes are free.

PM me if you would like more details.

grantgeneral78
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Depending upon your age, the Will Rogers and Woodson Senior Centers both offer canine training to our senior participants. The classes are free.

PM me if you would like more details.

Sheeesh fritter I am not that old yet lol.
There was a group that used to get together on the southside of okc at earlywine and a trainer volunteered to help us but for some reason I cant remember the trainers name.

FritterGirl
09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Senior Center participants only have to be 55+.

Not sure who taught at Earlywine.

OKCMallen
09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Grant, I own a 1.5 year old Boston. How old is yours? Feel free to PM me with questions on how to handle the hyper!

tburn
09-25-2008, 10:11 AM
KONG TOYS !!!

& lots of exercise, playtime and patience!

FritterGirl
09-25-2008, 10:38 AM
As the dog mom to 2 terrorer mixes and a beagle, my husband and I have all but set the dvr 24/7 to any and all of the dog training shows on Animal Planet.

We also took our "first" to puppy school and agility training classes. When #s 2, and then 3, came along, we had (and THEY had) entertainment enough!

The message that I hear most often from trainers with various backgrounds is this:

1. exercise, exercise, exercise!!! Walking your dog daily (or multiple times daily) will ensure that he has released plenty of that energy, and will be more relaxed and calm around the house.

2. TRAINING. Equally important. Whether you train at home via a book (I highly recommend anything written by Pat Miller), or go to a puppy class at the local pet store (really Pet Smart has some great "starter" classes), discipline is important.

Most trainers I have studied have noted that a good time to "train" is after a walk. Their excess energy (or at least some of it) has burned off, and they can now focus on you and the scrumptious treats, and/or favorite toy you use as your training "reward."

3. PLAY - Turn your play time into training time. Tug, play ball, chase, frisbee - whatever the game - find something that will not only help to "exercise" your dog (burning that energy), but also help engage them mentally.

There are plenty of books and online resources that can help you find games to play with your dog that are the right type for his breed.

Some dogs like to "scent," others are more interested in catching. Some enjoy doggie "puzzles."

4. SOCIALIZE - again. A trip to a dog park (even the small park) is a great way for your dog to self-exercise. Just the running around and being exposed to new smells, etc. is a GREAT way to get your dog to calm down.

When our "first" was a wee pup - we would take her to the puppy park about 2x a week. Good socialization, plus she ran her tail off - which made for a nice, quiet evening for us.

Don't be afraid if your animal is a "spaz" at this stage in its life - and DON'T let that hinder you from taking him/her to a training class. Trainers are used to out of control dogs - that's their business. The key is to train the human so they know how to channel that energy into something positive.

Oh yeah - about KONGS. KONGS are great. We would fill ours with some soft dog food (they actually make doggie "desserts" pumpkin, apple, sweet potatoe, etc.) - then FREEZE them. Made for a GREAT puppy pacifier.

OKCMallen
09-25-2008, 10:41 AM
My little guy just made it through a kong finally...he loves that sucker and chews on it for over an hour everyday. Need to get get him another one.

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 04:53 PM
As the dog mom to 2 terrorer mixes and a beagle, my husband and I have all but set the dvr 24/7 to any and all of the dog training shows on Animal Planet.

We also took our "first" to puppy school and agility training classes. When #s 2, and then 3, came along, we had (and THEY had) entertainment enough!

The message that I hear most often from trainers with various backgrounds is this:

1. exercise, exercise, exercise!!! Walking your dog daily (or multiple times daily) will ensure that he has released plenty of that energy, and will be more relaxed and calm around the house.

2. TRAINING. Equally important. Whether you train at home via a book (I highly recommend anything written by Pat Miller), or go to a puppy class at the local pet store (really Pet Smart has some great "starter" classes), discipline is important.

Most trainers I have studied have noted that a good time to "train" is after a walk. Their excess energy (or at least some of it) has burned off, and they can now focus on you and the scrumptious treats, and/or favorite toy you use as your training "reward."

3. PLAY - Turn your play time into training time. Tug, play ball, chase, frisbee - whatever the game - find something that will not only help to "exercise" your dog (burning that energy), but also help engage them mentally.

There are plenty of books and online resources that can help you find games to play with your dog that are the right type for his breed.

Some dogs like to "scent," others are more interested in catching. Some enjoy doggie "puzzles."

4. SOCIALIZE - again. A trip to a dog park (even the small park) is a great way for your dog to self-exercise. Just the running around and being exposed to new smells, etc. is a GREAT way to get your dog to calm down.

When our "first" was a wee pup - we would take her to the puppy park about 2x a week. Good socialization, plus she ran her tail off - which made for a nice, quiet evening for us.

Don't be afraid if your animal is a "spaz" at this stage in its life - and DON'T let that hinder you from taking him/her to a training class. Trainers are used to out of control dogs - that's their business. The key is to train the human so they know how to channel that energy into something positive.

Oh yeah - about KONGS. KONGS are great. We would fill ours with some soft dog food (they actually make doggie "desserts" pumpkin, apple, sweet potatoe, etc.) - then FREEZE them. Made for a GREAT puppy pacifier.

Ok this weekend we will try all of these and see how he acts.
When he runs out on our acreage he tends to run off to the neighbors with not a sense of hearing us yelling at him not to. Also where are kong toys at?

FritterGirl
09-26-2008, 05:02 PM
When he runs out on our acreage he tends to run off to the neighbors with not a sense of hearing us yelling at him not to. Also where are kong toys at?

KONGs are heavy rubber toys shaped like THIS (http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html). The one in the pic has some biscuits in it. We prefer the "frozen food" method - keeps em licking for a loooonnng time.

You can find Kongs at any of the major pet retailers in town. They're a bit pricey, but certainly worth the investment. Just make sure to get the right size for your dog. There are several sizes and one size most definitely does NOT fit all.

Just be very careful, and make sure that when your dog is through chewing, or licking, you pick the kong up. Make it a "special treat" toy for good, calm behavior, and not a toy you just leave around. Aggressive chewers can chew chunks off of the Kong and swallow them. Little bits are not harmful - they'll pass them right through - but if they get a large enough chunk, they could either choke on it, or it could become blocked in their digestive system.

Edit:If you go to the Kong website (link above), there is a link ("Tips and Advice" - top of page) that will take you to a page where you can determine the right Kong size for your breed. Since there are different Kong "models" you might want to check this out. It looks like for the basic Kong, a "medium" would be best for a Boston Terrier.

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 06:25 PM
KONGs are heavy rubber toys shaped like THIS (http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html). The one in the pic has some biscuits in it. We prefer the "frozen food" method - keeps em licking for a loooonnng time.

You can find Kongs at any of the major pet retailers in town. They're a bit pricey, but certainly worth the investment. Just make sure to get the right size for your dog. There are several sizes and one size most definitely does NOT fit all.

Just be very careful, and make sure that when your dog is through chewing, or licking, you pick the kong up. Make it a "special treat" toy for good, calm behavior, and not a toy you just leave around. Aggressive chewers can chew chunks off of the Kong and swallow them. Little bits are not harmful - they'll pass them right through - but if they get a large enough chunk, they could either choke on it, or it could become blocked in their digestive system.

Edit:If you go to the Kong website (link above), there is a link ("Tips and Advice" - top of page) that will take you to a page where you can determine the right Kong size for your breed. Since there are different Kong "models" you might want to check this out. It looks like for the basic Kong, a "medium" would be best for a Boston Terrier.

What is the idea of choke collars used for training bad or good?

FRISKY
09-26-2008, 07:01 PM
What is the idea of choke collars used for training bad or good?For a normal dog...good if used correctly. For a large, powerful dog, use a pinch collar if you need more control.

All dog training is 95% training of the owner and 5% training of the dog.

grantgeneral78
09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
For a normal dog...good if used correctly. For a large, powerful dog, use a pinch collar if you need more control.

All dog training is 95% training of the owner and 5% training of the dog.

Boy that could not be said clear enough, I think he is training me more that I him.
:dizzy:

FritterGirl
09-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Please don't use a choke or pinch collar. They are cruel and not really necessary for most breeds. In some instances, misuse of choke collars has resulted in animals suffering from a crushed esophogus. Most people who use them - especially on their large breeds (notably pit breeds) do so because they think it looks "cool."

As a means of training, choke and pinch collars are becoming more and more discouraged as more positive training methods - which are proven to be more effective - are being espoused.

On a boston terrier, which is obviously not a large breed, I would highly discourage this.

If you cannot positively train the dog, then you need to train you. As has been noted, dog training is really "person" training, and not really training of the dog.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to find any book by Pat Miller or Patricia McConnell, who are both highly regarded national experts in dog training.

"The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Miller is a particular favorite of mine.

I would also recommend you subscribe to "Whole Dog Journal," which has monthly articles regarding positive dog training methods, and tackles specific problems. The subscription cost, I believe, is $25 per year.

Basic obedience, which you can get through Pet Smart, is the first step. I know it's not free, unfortunately.

I'll check with some of my friends from the OK Humane Society to see if there are any free or low-cost training classes out there.

grantgeneral78
09-27-2008, 09:12 PM
Please don't use a choke or pinch collar. They are cruel and not really necessary for most breeds. In some instances, misuse of choke collars has resulted in animals suffering from a crushed esophogus. Most people who use them - especially on their large breeds (notably pit breeds) do so because they think it looks "cool."

As a means of training, choke and pinch collars are becoming more and more discouraged as more positive training methods - which are proven to be more effective - are being espoused.

On a boston terrier, which is obviously not a large breed, I would highly discourage this.

If you cannot positively train the dog, then you need to train you. As has been noted, dog training is really "person" training, and not really training of the dog.

I would HIGHLY encourage you to find any book by Pat Miller or Patricia McConnell, who are both highly regarded national experts in dog training.

"The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Miller is a particular favorite of mine.

I would also recommend you subscribe to "Whole Dog Journal," which has monthly articles regarding positive dog training methods, and tackles specific problems. The subscription cost, I believe, is $25 per year.

Basic obedience, which you can get through Pet Smart, is the first step. I know it's not free, unfortunately.

I'll check with some of my friends from the OK Humane Society to see if there are any free or low-cost training classes out there.

Good thing I passed on the choke collar today then. We really enjoyed the class we went to at the park and the fellowship was great as well.

I will check on whole dog journal also, a friend of mine was telling me his dog would run off like ours does and ignore commands, said he used a shock collar and when he ran off it would bring him right back with only a few times.

Is this a option or not?

Generals64
09-27-2008, 09:18 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guy:.........my wife's puppy (55 pound worth) has gone to the different stages of training at the Petsmart on 240. He does all the things and is very good at it. The trainer (erin) is very good and she even trains the owners....Not too expensive....

grantgeneral78
09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guy:.........my wife's puppy (55 pound worth) has gone to the different stages of training at the Petsmart on 240. He does all the things and is very good at it. The trainer (erin) is very good and she even trains the owners....Not too expensive....

I did not know they did that there, yeah we probably could use the training also.

Karried
09-28-2008, 09:15 AM
dog free dog training groups

When I read the title I thought that was what you meant! .. training the owners without the dogs present - lol

grantgeneral78
09-28-2008, 06:49 PM
When I read the title I thought that was what you meant! .. training the owners without the dogs present - lol

Yeah apparently my "dog button" got stuck!

tburn
09-29-2008, 11:34 AM
I got my dog to always come by giving her the best treat when she did.

only had to use the treat for a little while (few days) to reinforce --- now I don't have to treat every time but she is a very good girl and leaves the cat or squirrels or whatever alone to bound right for me at the door everytime!

and be sure when you call him/her that it sounds friendly and not like punishment

our dog is a lab/pit mix that we found as a neglected stray - she does have throat problems, likely from being tied up or choked so I do not use a choke collar or any neck restraint for training or exercise.

grantgeneral78
09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
I got my dog to always come by giving her the best treat when she did.

only had to use the treat for a little while (few days) to reinforce --- now I don't have to treat every time but she is a very good girl and leaves the cat or squirrels or whatever alone to bound right for me at the door everytime!

and be sure when you call him/her that it sounds friendly and not like punishment

our dog is a lab/pit mix that we found as a neglected stray - she does have throat problems, likely from being tied up or choked so I do not use a choke collar or any neck restraint for training or exercise.

We did get him some kong treats and he loves them so I will try that with him and see how he reponds

grantgeneral78
09-30-2008, 06:10 PM
well the treats work like a dream he is coming back to us now...thanks