View Full Version : Used Bike Shops

CuatrodeMayo
09-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Are there any in OKC?

Pete
09-23-2008, 07:57 AM
Probably not... But here's some tips on buying a used bike from Craigslist or eBay:

1. Go to a bike shop and find what you want.
2. Determine the appropriate frame size; each bike is slightly different.
3. This is a great time of year to buy, as the season is ending for many.
4. Once you find a great deal, take it to a bike shop to get tuned and adjusted to fit you.
5. Keep your eye on sales at bike shops because often you can get a good deal on end of year models for new bikes.

Good luck. And if you have any questions about bikes, let me know. I coach a triathlon team and assist about 50 people a year in finding the right bike.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
What kind of bike are you looking for?

If it's a cheap POS you need...There are two in my garage. I rent a room to a guy that I'm kicking out, they're his bikes, and he's not going to have any room to store them soon. :D

lasomeday
09-23-2008, 10:27 AM
There are a few in Norman.

CuatrodeMayo
09-23-2008, 10:51 AM
What kind of bike are you looking for?

If it's a cheap POS you need...There are two in my garage. I rent a room to a guy that I'm kicking out, they're his bikes, and he's not going to have any room to store them soon. :D

Road bike.

There are a few in Norman.

Where do I find them?

OKCMallen
09-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I have a Trek 1200 road cycle that gets basically no use I might sell.

CuatrodeMayo
09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
What I'm really wanting is an old one for cheap that I can fix up. I'm somewhat of a part-time shade tree bicycle mechanic.

Pete
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
If you go the fix-up route, just find a frame that fits you and that isn't too heavy (aluminum with carbon fork is usually a good value) then buy the components on eBay. You can get some good deals... Shimano 105 components offer a good price/performance trade-off and lots of people take them off new bikes to upgrade.

Stinger
09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Pete - What kind of Bike would you recommend for an adult male for casual, family riding around Lake Hefner?

FRISKY
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Pro Bike usually has a few.

Pro Bike (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Pro+Bike+bicycles+OKC&fb=1&view=text&latlng=6973547242679964647&dtab=7)

TTillman
09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Infoshop in OKC has a "bicycle kitchen" type program. Here's the link!
the oklahoma city infoshop (http://www.woodenboxcar.org/okcinfoshop/)

OKCTalker
09-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Pete - What kind of Bike would you recommend for an adult male for casual, family riding around Lake Hefner?

Stinger - You're looking for a hybrid bike (a/k/a "comfort bike") which have several speeds, shifters usually on the hand grips, hand lever brakes, a comfy seat and some shock absorbing features in the suspension. If purchased NEW, they usually don't come with baskets but may be added later (if purchased used, WYSIWYG). Benefits of purchasing new v. used:

NEW - First, you'll buy a bike that is the right size for you, which is the most important thing in riding a bike, and space here won't allow for a long explanation (I ride thousands of mile per year and know about proper fit). Second, find a shop that takes time to answer your questions and has a broad selection within your parameters (brand, price, features, etc.). Third, you'll get a free tune-up after riding for a few weeks - they'll adjust cables, the chain, brakes, tires, etc., and they'll explain everything to you. They'll also be your source for a helmet (don't EVER ride without one), air pump, seat bag or basket, a light (especially now that we're getting into fall), gloves and a speedometer. And they can give you tips on bike laws and riding safely.

USED - You'll get a good price, but since you don't know much about bikes (no dis intended), you won't know what's in good shape and what needs to be replaced. Items I can almost guarantee that need to be replaced or professionally-adjusted on a used bike purchased from a private party are: Tires, tubes, chain, cables, derailleurs and brakes. And you'll need to buy all of the accessories in the previous paragraph.

Either way, get a good bike that fits, always wear a helmet, learn the laws and enjoy yourself.

Oh, to Quatro's question: No, there are no bike shops in town that specifically sell used bikes, but most offer used bikes.

OKCMallen
09-23-2008, 04:43 PM
John at Probike was very, very good to me when I purchased my bike new.

Pete
09-23-2008, 07:05 PM
I also love Pro Bike... They've been at that same location near 63rd and McArthur since I was a kid and used to walk down there. They are also big supporters of the Redman Triathlon.

Stinger
09-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys! Very helpful!

CuatrodeMayo
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I just stick to craigslist.

bluedogok
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Mark at Budget Bicycles (23rd between Portland & Meridian) used to carry used bikes. It has been years since I have been in there but it might be worth a call.