View Full Version : Oklahoma Regatta Festival Oct.3rd-5th

metro
09-23-2008, 07:37 AM
It's that time of year again folks.................

Rowing on a grand scale
Journal Record
September 23, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – The pressure is on for director Mike Knopp and the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation. But they figure, “What’s not to enjoy about that?”

The foundation and Oklahoma City University will host the Oklahoma Regatta Festival Oct. 3-5 on the Oklahoma River. The regatta festival was named the 2007 Rowing Event of the Year by Rowing News.

“Our goal is to always have this at a high level and make it an upscale event,” said Knopp, who also coaches the rowing team at Oklahoma City University. “It’s nearly $500,000 to put on the event and we have to raise that money through sponsorships and partners. We believe the impact it has on the city is well worth it.”

Knopp said 38 corporate teams, 40 collegiate outfits and club teams from around the country – as well as a few international guests – will participate. Last year the event was longer and a crowd of 50,000 came to watch, and this year he expects better than 30,000.

“Last year it was estimated to have a $4 million economic impact; a lot of people came to town for this,” he said. In its fifth year, the regatta has shown some impressive advancement, he said. “Last year this turned into one of the largest events in the history of OCU,” Knopp said. “It’s really grown in size and we want it to be a premier event for Oklahoma City.”

The festival is not only about rowing. It’s about music, art and plenty of food, he said. “You don’t have to know anything about rowing to enjoy yourself,” Knopp said. “Every year we try something different to make it better.”

A portable grandstand will be erected next to the river for the audience to see the top rowers, including Olympic gold medalists. “The first year we had it, we were really surprised Harvard showed an interest,” he said. “Now they are back for the fifth year, and there are many other top-notch teams.

The Women’s Eight and Men’s Eight gold medal winners will be here, and it’ll really be exciting to have them come out.”

The event kicks off Friday night, Oct. 3, with Blu Party, which will feature wine tasting, music and rowing. The Head of the Oklahoma will be contested Saturday morning from 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The area will be illuminated and one of the largest television screens in the country will be brought in. Fireworks, a laser show and Shogun lights will be featured.

http://www.journalrecord.com/_images/articles/t_labsbcover1.jpg
A rowing team is shown on the Oklahoma River with the sunset in the background. (Courtesy photo)

CCOKC
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I have been to this a few times and it is a great time. A few years ago I actually got to hold an Olympic gold medal. I'm a sucker for all things Olympics.

sroberts24
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
i am going this year for the first time, I'm excited

anybody have any info on the other boat houses? when they plan on building, final designs, anything?

metro
09-24-2008, 07:43 AM
sroberts, you may want to check out one of the other threads talking about the other boathouses, many articles have been posted, some with projected timelines, etc.

metro
10-03-2008, 12:31 PM
BUMP - Just a reminder that the Oklahoma Regatta Festival starts today and goes throughout the weekend. This is a signature event in Oklahoma.

Luke
10-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm so excited to go tomorrow night! Food, rowing, fireworks and lasers! Can't go wrong with that.
:)

metro
10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Now we just need "sharks with a giant freakin laser-beam attached to their heads" swimming in the Oklahoma River. Extreme rowing Dr. Evil style.

Architect2010
10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Whoa. So last night I was driving south on I-35 just north of the river and me and my friends are caught off guard by this awesome green laser light flashing across the sky. As we drive over the river we are like, "WHOA" by all of these mesmerizing moving colored lights. It was really amazing and so cool. It was like a mile long club with flashing lights. lol.

The Lincoln Bridge looked cool also because of the LED lights under it. They should keep those lights there all year long. It'd make up for the ugliness of I-35.

;P

metro
10-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Lincoln (actually Byers Ave.) bridge, those LED lights are there all year. They put them up last year.

http://www.smithlighting.com/lightscape/byers2.jpg

More info and pics:
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11278-river-bridges-get-led-lighting.html?highlight=river+led+lights+og%26e

FritterGirl
10-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I was down at the boat house earlier today. For anyone going to the VIP event tonight, prepare to be WOWED!!!

Luke
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know what the schedule is for tomorrow? Rowing competitions? Fireworks? Lasers? I wanna get down there for dinner and then watch some rowing and then watch the show. I couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

dalelakin
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know what the schedule is for tomorrow? Rowing competitions? Fireworks? Lasers? I wanna get down there for dinner and then watch some rowing and then watch the show. I couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

OKC BOATHOUSE FOUNDATION CHAMPION SERIES EVENT (http://www.headoftheoklahoma.com/index.php)

gmwise
10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm excited about the new boathouses.
I can't wait to see the new pedistrian bridge as well.

Luke
10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
OKC BOATHOUSE FOUNDATION CHAMPION SERIES EVENT (http://www.headoftheoklahoma.com/index.php)

Yeah, I went there a few days ago and looked that site up and down. Except for seeing "Festival Hours Saturday: 10am-10pm" it wasn't that helpful. I don't know what the order of events are. Like who is rowing at 5 or 6 pm? What time do the night sprints start? What time does the fireworks start?

I'll be there all evening so I'll watch whatever is going on, but I would kind of like to plan.

Just curious.

:)

CCOKC
10-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I drove by about 7 this evening and could not believe all the cars in line to get to the boathouse. It looks like this event is going to be highly attended.

okcustu
10-03-2008, 11:04 PM
again The Oklahoman proves it self to be lame; however they are diversifying they now suck at event planning. they over hyped the "Today Tomorrow" laser light fireworks show. the announcer kept plugging it as spectacular; it simply a slideshow with one of those windows media player time warpy backgrounds at the end. The lights were okay, but they shot off fireworks maybe every 3-4 minutes. And the embers blew in audience members eyes (including mine).

jbrown84
10-04-2008, 09:33 AM
What does that have to do with the Oklahoman?

Luke
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
The Oklahoman sponsored the night spectacular. More likely, the Regatta folks set this up and then looked for sponsors. The Oklahoman probably had absolutely nothing to do with setting up the show, but went ahead and sponsored it.

Just a guess, but some don't need much of an excuse to get onto the Oklahoman...for whatever reason.

jbrown84
10-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm sure you're correct.

okcustu
10-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Considering the fact that I go to OCU, I think I would know a little about how it's put on. The Oklahoman, I would imagine gathered the picture for the rather juvenile slideshow (it's not like lighting companies store a bunch of pictures of the Oklahoma River in their office. The Oklahoman or any responsible sponsor doesn't just give someone money and say here go use this. People from both worked on and I'm sure T O people got a look at the show before Friday.

edcrunk
10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
i've never been, is there a charge to get in?

okcustu
10-04-2008, 10:57 AM
nope its free so is parking and the food prices arent to bad either

jbrown84
10-04-2008, 11:05 AM
People from both worked on and I'm sure T O people got a look at the show before Friday.

So if they thought it sucked, as you did, they should have pulled their sponsorship a couple days before the event?

okcustu
10-04-2008, 11:08 AM
people's standards are different all i can say is there was a mass exodus after a few minutes

okcustu
10-04-2008, 11:09 AM
i mean the laser light effect which they put too late in the show was nice, but the hype, lack of fireworks, and cheesy visuals (and embers) made it bad
but i dont want to seem nagging the Regatta overall was great can't believe I never gone before

soonerfan21
10-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm glad I didn't stay for the fireworks now - was a little disappointed in the scheduling and how late apparently the fireworks show happened. But the blu party was amazing. Great food, beautiful decorations and the entertainment was pretty cool.
All in all I thought it was an impressive event put on by the Boathouse Foundation.

Susan OKC
10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't know what you are talking about...I was there on Saturday night and it was awesome! There were lasers the entire time. I was in the bleachers and everyone was into it. The regatta was a lot of fun.

Tulsa Rower
10-06-2008, 02:15 PM
I've already emailed the event organizers to tell them our appreciation for a job well done, but also wanted to publicly thank the citizens of OKC for getting behind the boat house projects and for ensuring great hospitality for everyone at this event.

4000M Head racing doesn't provide the greatest level of spectator interest, but I really was amazed to see how many people were at the event on Saturday afternoon prior to the night sprints.

We always look forward to racing at OKC, it's a first class facility, and continues to improve your river-scape.

Thanks again!

xpertinfun
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Fireworks = Fountains you can buy at your local fireworks stand.

We were highly disappointed in the fireworks and laser show....I think the "fireworks" were there mainly for the smoke in order to project the lasers, But the wind was blowing so hard that I dont think it had the effect they were going for.
Not worth waiting around for over an hour after the quick trip down the sidewalk.

At least the food was not way overpriced. Overall there was just not much to see unless you were really into the racing itself. I mean c'mon, A WII booth???

Platemaker
10-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm not suprised people on OKCTalk were not impressed with the light show... people here are very hard to please.

ANYWHO....

I worked at the regatta both days and I was very suprised by the comments I got from people from all over the country. I didn't know anything about rowing prior to this weekend so I had no idea Head of the Oklahoma was so ground breaking.

Basically..."we go to regattas all over the world and this is definitely the most unique and exciting." "the night sprints are the best idea ever in rowing" "the facilities are wonderful" "we don't get lasers or fireworks anywhere else"

Apparently this IS much more to see an do at our regatta than any of the others and it will only get better.... so pay no attention to the comments above.

okcustu
10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm not suprised people on OKCTalk were not impressed with the light show... people here are very hard to please.

ANYWHO....

I worked at the regatta both days and I was very suprised by the comments I got from people from all over the country. I didn't know anything about rowing prior to this weekend so I had no idea Head of the Oklahoma was so ground breaking.

Basically..."we go to regattas all over the world and this is definitely the most unique and exciting." "the night sprints are the best idea ever in rowing" "the facilities are wonderful" "we don't get lasers or fireworks anywhere else"

Apparently this IS much more to see an do at our regatta than any of the others and it will only get better.... so pay no attention to the comments above.

whoopty-freakin' doo!! YOU worked at the Regatta good for you!!
i worked at the regatta too, and the fireworks were just plan crappy at least they were friday, and it's not that anyone is hard to please. I was very impressed by everything else. i just wished i worked for one of the presented or was able t work my way into the alumni tent (regatta was THE social event on friday). Anyway overall great event, and loved the food there too

metro
10-08-2008, 07:24 AM
I too was impressed with this years event compared to past years. Much more to offer, but I'm still stunned by how it could be better than Head of the Charles in Boston. Maybe our proximity to Bricktown? The newness of the venue?

soonerfan21
10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
just because people weren't impressed with the fireworks, let's not forget the big picture. the blu party was amazing, night sprints super cool and the overall atmosphere was electric.
and it is only going to get better and better when the new boathouses are built and the rowing performance center comes.

Saberman
10-08-2008, 08:41 AM
You gotta walk before you can run, lets remember that until just recently this was an Ivy League, boring, stuff shirt sport.

OKC has made its mark on changing this stoic sport, and we didn't even know what we were doing. We have now have the chance to totally change and breath new life to a sport that hasn't change much in decades. Who ever heard of fireworks at a rowing event, for that matter who ever heard of a rowing event outside of the Olympics.

Bravo to the people that have worked to make this event what it is today, and what it will become.

bluedogok
10-08-2008, 08:25 PM
At least you had an event to have a supposedly poor fireworks show....there was an AMA Supermoto Pro/Amateur races this weekend (Friday practice) near downtown Austin and it was canceled today with people already enroute from all over the country for this round. There are conflicting stories on why it was canceled, but it doesn't really matter since it isn't happening.

metro
10-09-2008, 09:38 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2926349757_4fe8cd53be.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/2927202884_9cb4aa5783.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/2927202652_ef9b052020.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2927202452_a2028744e3.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2926348817_089c018eee.jpg?v=0