View Full Version : Robert Plant and Allison Krauss to play benefit at Zoo Amp 9/26

BDP
09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Robert Plant, Alison Krauss to play Hurricane Ike benefit in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/robert-plant-alison-krauss-to-play-hurricane-ike-benefit-in-oklahoma-city/article/3300130/?tm=1221852487)

Lurker34
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I hope they do well, it's a great cause. I doubt they can sell 7000 tickets in 1 week unless he brings the surviving members of Zeppelin and call it a reunion show. That would prob sell out in 7 hours!:yourock: :rock_on:

zuluwarrior0760
09-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Alison Krauss did well at filling the Ford Center a few months back....
I think they'll sell out, especially with Robert Plant on tap.....
and the Charity aspect of it.....

405Metro
09-19-2008, 05:45 PM
are they on the same bill? If so, that will be an interesting crowd to see. Allison Krauss is more Bluegrass than country these days!! And, I am not sure there are people lined up to see Robert Plant these days.... Great Cause no matter who is playing though!!!

** If anybody goes post details**

jbrown84
09-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah they just need to get the word out.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-19-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't care for country or bluegrass much...But I've got to admit that my favorite album I've ever bought is hers. It's a live at Union Station two disc set, and it's an SACD. On my setup it's about as close to sonic bliss as is possible. Simply amazing.

stickboy
09-19-2008, 07:06 PM
are they on the same bill? If so, that will be an interesting crowd to see. Allison Krauss is more Bluegrass than country these days!! And, I am not sure there are people lined up to see Robert Plant these days.... Great Cause no matter who is playing though!!!

** If anybody goes post details**

They actually released a CD together earlier this year (i think). So I don't think anyone is going to be surprised to see them together.

zuluwarrior0760
09-19-2008, 08:21 PM
More bluegrass these dayz? She's the queen of bluegrass and has
been since she did her first album at the age of 16.

She's done some county as well as some crossover stuff, such
as the remake of John Waite's "not missing you"......then this
Robert Plant thing happened......the album is a huge achievement
from one of the biggest mismatches ever......it works, but you've got
to give the album at least 4 listenings before it starts to really grow on you...

Anytime you get a chance to hear Alison Krauss, you should....regardless
of who is with her.......

kevinpate
09-21-2008, 06:12 AM
> Anytime you get a chance to hear Alison Krauss, you should....

Truer words have rarely been written. I've never heard a tune from her I haven't enjoyed.

Thunder
09-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Alison has a beautiful voice. It is so heavenly and hypothesizing. You will notice there is no effort on her part, it just comes out so naturally and flowing.

mburlison
09-21-2008, 05:34 PM
look at youtube, there are several cuts of her version of Battle of Evermore and other zep songs they do along w/ some more mellow 50', 60's sounding music.
the producer that helped the actors in the Johnny cash movie, I believe is their guitarist... go have a listen at several of the songs out there, pretty good stuff to hear Robert actually singing harmony ;).

If you Google Krauss, Plant, read the review(s) on their concert at Red Rock and other places... I think they will sell 7,000 easy if its publicized.
It hasn't been a few weeks back that they did very well at Grand Prairie. Robert is growing fond of this part of the country...

hipsterdoofus
09-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Having a hard time finding any prices...

kevinpate
09-22-2008, 05:19 AM
on sale today at 10 am
OK City Zoo Amphitheatre . . . (http://www.zooamp.com/)

Thinking I heard 35 gen admission, not positive though

Karried
09-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Breaking news from the OKC Zoo Amphitheatre, we will be having a benefit concert this Friday September 26 at 7:30pm with Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss and others.

Tickets will go this sale Monday at 10 am. Tickets are $30 GA, $50 Reserved, $125 VIP.

All Net ticket proceeds from this event will go to the Gulf Coast Ike Relief Fund.
Endorsed by Governor Brad Henry.
Your support is greatly appreciated.

Thunder
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
VIP, is that something like front row seat/stand/view?

I'm not paying that! lol I can just pay $30 to get in and alert the officials that I'm the deaf person and be taken to the front, which there will be an interpreter. Isn't that cool or what? :D

Karried
09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Alison has a beautiful voice. It is so heavenly and hypothesizing. You will notice there is no effort on her part, it just comes out so naturally and flowing.

I can just pay $30 to get in and alert the officials that I'm the deaf person and be taken to the front, which there will be an interpreter. Isn't that cool or what? :biggrin:

I'm so confused.

Thunder
09-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm so confused.

Didn't I clear this up with you a few months ago? I wasn't deaf all my life!

I still have a body aid (hearing aid) that I'm limited to Telephone mode use, which it works to take in sound from any speaker (telephone, headphone, speakers) when it is up close to it.

Here is an example, I know it is small, but it is something close I can find on Google.

http://hearingtherapyaustralia.com/images/bodyAid.gif

Put the ear mold in my ear, lay the box next to a headphone, which is plugged into sound port, computer or tv (I do have extended cable for tv). Turn it on to the Telephone mode, not the regular (public hearing) mode. The Telephone mode is the only one that I can use that doesn't generate bounce-back feedback caused by the bone in the ear canal. So, I can perfectly turn up the aid so high, the sound is able to clearly travel thru the bone and I hear it crystal clear.

I'm still listening to songs on the computer and using it to listen to the tv, keep the hearing nerves working to preserve it, until a miracle comes along that I have some kinda surgery to allow me being able to wear something that I can hear people and the public around me.

Did I explain it all this time more clearly?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-22-2008, 10:32 AM
:bright_id

I'm going to hang a pager on my hip and use your trick Thunder.

zuluwarrior0760
09-22-2008, 04:02 PM
VIP section are the first 20 rows, the
section is blocked off to anyone without
a VIP ticket.....regardless of their hearing.......

Karried
09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Did I explain it all this time more clearly?

I was just curious, if you can hear, then why do you need an interpreter?

zuluwarrior0760
09-22-2008, 04:53 PM
He said he needed the interpreter to purchase 30.00 seats
and then be moved to the front with the 125.00 seats.....

If I "did" actually see that happen at any concert, Charity
or otherwise, I would be extracting about 95.00 right out
of his backside, deaf or not........

Karried
09-22-2008, 05:36 PM
yeah, kind of what I was wondering...

Thunder
09-22-2008, 07:17 PM
As I had said, I can't wear any hearing aid for public use, you know what I'm talking about? You talking to people around you, you hear people talking and sounds all around you outside, inside, whatever. I can't. I hear nothing, except for roar of planes and loud thud (pallet dropping for example).

I can only hear at a level as you can when I have the hearing aid set to Telephone mode and listen to anything from a speaker, as I had described. That mode itself is not for general sound use around me and afar.

Zulu, it does not matter where the places, concerts, events, whatever is at, all of them are required to provide accommodation on request ahead of time. That includes this special concert event at the zoo. The interpreter are placed on stage, or just off the stage directly in front (back able to touch stage). Interpreter are required to be put at a location that is easy for deaf people to watch the interpreter and the people (Alison and others).

As you can see, the distance is important, the deaf people need to be up close, clear of any distractions (people waving hands in air, people jumping up and down, etc). It is one advantage that deaf people enjoy front row view, but understand that the rest of the hearing people enjoy the full benefit of hearing the voices, instruments, and all that stuff. Interpreter do their best to sign in a motion that best display the voice and instrument, as well as speed, facial and body language.

It is quite common, but the hearing people don't pay much attention to it, or simply do not notice it at all.

Relax, I don't think there is enough time to request and have it all set up, unless some other deaf people had already done it. I would really love to go and see Alison, but I'm really busy.

Karried, you ask, why can hard-of-hearing (hearing impaired) people that can still hear somewhat to near perfect, but still needing an interpreter? Well, for those with hearing loss, having an interpreter helps them to stay on track. They may not be able to understand every words.

GAWD, it is not a trick and it is not simple as that. You wouldn't be able to do just that at the last moment where the officials are not expecting you.

zuluwarrior0760
09-22-2008, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=I'm not paying that! lol I can just pay $30 to get in and alert the officials that I'm the deaf person and be taken to the front, which there will be an interpreter. Isn't that cool or what? :D[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure why a fullblown autopsy on the dynamics of your disability is newsworthy for this thread, but I don't find it humorous in the least to brag
that you're going to use a disability to obtain a better seat than you paid
for at a concert.........

ksearls
09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Just saw a tour bus at the Colcord. Could my favorite rock god be just a block away? Not sure I can even continue to work thinking about that!

LovableGoober
09-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm going to the show.......the VIP ($125) tickets are in the first ten rows. Normally, those are the only reserved seats at the Zoo Amp. However, for this show and for a very few others in the past they actually set up reserved seats and charge a bit more ($50 in this case) for those seats. I have seats 2 rows behind the back of the VIP seats.

The back half of the Amp is general admission for $30.

BTW, the guy that is playing guitar in this band is T-Bone Burnett. If you can find some songs of his called Fatally Beautiful, The 60's or Hefner and Disney, do yourself a favor and listen to them. I am praying he does a couple of his own songs tomorrow night.

And yes, Plant and Krauss have an album out together called Raising Sand. It truly is an amazing CD and, although I have seen Robert Plant with Zeppelin, with Page and Plant and as a solo act in venues ranging from the Reunion Arena in Dallas to the Bricktown Events Center in OKC, I am REALLY looking forward to this show.

As far as them being in town tonight, I'm sure they are since they don't have a show scheduled for tonight. Maybe I should hang out in Bricktown and actually have a chance to meet my rock idol again?

ksearls
09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
So, wasn't it great? He's still got it! Felt like I was 14 again at Song Remains the Same tour in '77.

Alison was great, their voices were amazing together. Think they are doing more than singing together; they had BIG chemistry!

What a beautiful night!

Kim

CCOKC
09-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Glad to hear it was a good show. Was there a good crowd? I couldn't really tell from the review in the paper.

jbrown84
09-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd be interested to know that as well.

It would certainly have a bearing on whether we get a scheduled stop on these big tours in the future.

CCOKC
09-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I would also like to know how much money was raised for Hurricane relief and how much food was collected.

zuluwarrior0760
09-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I've heard net proceeds of between 200 and 250K
with between 6,000 and 7,000 in attendance.
All VIP tickets were sold out at 130+ ea.
There were also matching donations tied to attendance
figures. When you consider that they had effectively 4 days
of ticket sales, a sell out is amazing.....

Not much food was collected, because that was not announced
except on radio/tv the day of......

Overall, an unqualified success and to all who attended,
one of the best concerts of their lives......

The weather was absolutely perfect as well, no wind, no bugs......

CCOKC
09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Zulu you answered all of my questions. Congratulations to all involved. Sounds like it was a great success.