Information & Latest News
741 N. Phillips
owner=Midtown Renaissance
cost=$25 million
start=June 2013
finish=Opening January 27, 2015
height=6 Floors
194 rooms

4/11/13: $25 million building permit (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=13BRE&capID2=00000&capID3=02952&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
3/2/13: Construction set to start on Embassy Suites (http://newsok.com/construction-set-to-start-this-summer-on-25-million-embassy-suites-in-the-oklahoma-health-center/article/3760379)
Links
Downtown Hotel Summary
Urban Project Summary
Gallery

bigjkt405
09-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Its only a matter of time before they take over everything west of Lottie, and north of 4th St.

Pete
09-17-2008, 02:34 PM
As I've stated many times, the OUHSC is turning into a monster.

Sure wish we could find ways to better tie it to downtown in order to benefit both areas and the community as a whole.

jbrown84
09-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Indeed.

Looks like those on the east side of the building will have great views overlooking the big power plant.

supersooner
09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
As I've stated many times, the OUHSC is turning into a monster.

Sure wish we could find ways to better tie it to downtown in order to benefit both areas and the community as a whole.

OUHSC is expanding west to 235. They own some of the property West past 235, but not much. OUHSC also has expansion property North of the Capitol on Lincoln. If anything OUHSC is going to contain itself into the 4th to 13th area east of 235 to Lottie area. It would be nice if they would clean up the area south of 8th down to NE1st though. Thats kinda a weird little area that doesn't get any attention.

betts
09-17-2008, 03:19 PM
It will be great to have a hotel there, as that will really increase convenience for patients' families. Is this Bob Howard's new group, or did this group exist before and/or during his association with Banta?

supersooner
09-17-2008, 03:21 PM
It will be great to have a hotel there, as that will really increase convenience for patients' families. Is this Bob Howard's new group, or did this group exist before and/or during his association with Banta?

It's goign to be great for the hospital. Families and also physicians. Visiting physicians get stuck at some seedy hospital up on lincoln. Don't remember the name. OU has no overnight living for nurses or physicians now that are really up to par.

DrFritz
09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority approves hotel’s preliminary plans

By Pamela Grady

9/17/2008
1:55 p.m.

The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority today approved preliminary schematic designs for the development of a 196-guest room Embassy Suites hotel.

Bob Howard, Mickey Clagg and Robert Slater — doing business as OU E Suites LLC — plan to build the hotel as part of the Presbyterian Health Foundation Research Park, Harrison-Walnut Urban Renewal Plan.

“We see ourselves positioning with the Downtown hotels,” Clagg said.

The authority also asked the developers to re-examine issues with exterior materials and to submit landscape plans before final approval.

The 8-floor 187,550-square-foot hotel will be located at NW 8th and Phillips Avenue. It will boast multiple water features throughout its four-story indoor atrium. The facility will also include a 16,000-square-foot multi-function banquet area, an on-site restaurant to seat 133 patrons, a market deli restaurant, a business center, a 627-square-foot exercise facility and a concierge lounge on its 8th floor. Temporary parking will be available to the south of the project until future development of a 316-space parking garage is developed.

Slater said the group chose Embassy Suites because of the nearby medical center and the product being an extended-stay concept. Construction is expected to take 18 months.

jbrown84
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Where are renderings?

Saberman
09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
OUHSC is expanding west to 235. They own some of the property West past 235, but not much. OUHSC also has expansion property North of the Capitol on Lincoln. If anything OUHSC is going to contain itself into the 4th to 13th area east of 235 to Lottie area. It would be nice if they would clean up the area south of 8th down to NE1st though. Thats kinda a weird little area that doesn't get any attention.

It would be nice if someone could do something all the way down to Reno, what a dump. Even the stuff that backs up to I 40. Great way to show off OKC into downtown.

jbrown84
09-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I'd imagine the infill will spill over there eventually.

UnFrSaKn
09-17-2008, 05:04 PM
OKCBusiness - Oklahoma City Business News (http://www.okcbusiness.com/article.asp?aID=153674302.634289.595231.2784497.75 06917.557&aID2=45778)

bigjkt405
09-17-2008, 06:12 PM
It would be nice if someone could do something all the way down to Reno, what a dump. Even the stuff that backs up to I 40. Great way to show off OKC into downtown.

Please watch yourself. There are a lot of good folks in that "dump".

Kerry
09-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I think he means all of the salvage yards near Reno

kevinpate
09-18-2008, 05:35 AM
old dead plane hulls gotta be hawked somewhere :)

progressiveboy
09-18-2008, 06:37 AM

I agree with it giving off the appearance of being a junky, dumpy area. If OKC is going to be a big league city then it is going to have to clean up it's image. OKC is starting to improve on this, however, it has a long way to go. Why is my former hometown so junky? OKC is not the cleanest city and its appearance says alot about it's inhabitants.

bigjkt405
09-18-2008, 06:43 AM
I think he means all of the salvage yards near Reno

I can agree with this. I assumed the poster included the neighborhoods directly south of the hospital.

metro
09-18-2008, 08:07 AM
I agree with it giving off the appearance of being a junky, dumpy area. If OKC is going to be a big league city then it is going to have to clean up it's image. OKC is starting to improve on this, however, it has a long way to go. Why is my former hometown so junky? OKC is not the cleanest city and its appearance says alot about it's inhabitants.

It's all a matter of perception. I'm curious how often do you visit OKC based on your posts. Often myself or others have pointed out many advancements here in OKC that you are unaware of, but your judgement is still based upon the old OKC. Here's a quote from the article from the leaders who came visited us recently from Jackson, Mississippi. We've had several cities over the last few years come visit us (some from much much larger metro's) for inspiration to revitalize their cities. All of them were astonished by how clean our city is compared to theirs and most they've been to. I have to agree having traveled most of the US although Miami sure is pretty. We are MUCH cleaner than most Eastern US metro's. Have you ever been to NYC, Newark, Boston, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Columbus, Cincinnatti, Detroit and all through the Rust Belt and Eastern Seaboard? We are a fairly clean city. Dallas has it's rough dirty areas just like we do (South Dallas, Deep Ellum, Singleton, Westmoreland, Bachman Lake and Fair Park area come to mind). Dallas was ranked #6 most dangerous city in America in several polls recently of cities over 500,000. City Crime Rankings by Population Group (http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25)

“Oklahoma City is a display showing what can be accomplished through wise and careful use of local option sales tax, grants and tax increment financing,” he said. “Oklahoma City is the cleanest city I’ve ever seen. And the civic pride produces a spontaneous, contagious enthusiasm that was obvious from all who we came in contact with.

progressiveboy
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes Metro, I have been to NYC and parts of the Eastern seaboard and also have been to Atlanta, but considering the entire Eastern seaboard is ten times the population of the entire state of Oklahoma it is naturally going to have more blight and slum areas. If you look at my post, I made the statement that OKC is improving on cleaning up the city, so please not try to take it personally as this is only a thread based on peoples opinions and points of views. Since I am a native of OKC I feel like I can objectively critique my former hometown and compare it to other cities,especially regionally. I visit my hometown 3-4 times a year as I have family that reside in the OKC area so does that answer your question. Yes, OKC is making strides in becoming a more desireable place to live, I am not challenging or debating this, however, OKC has a long way to becoming a more clean, well kept city. It's architecture is very uninspiring,however, with Devon building their new skyscraper, this will be a "start" in improving the image and appearance of OKC. Lastly, yes Metro Dallas has it's scary parts as well, but overall, it's architecture and general cleanliness for a city it's size is extremely clean, much more than OKC.

BG918
09-18-2008, 09:51 AM
I had heard about this hotel awhile back, glad to see it closer to construction. Close to the future light rail line on NE 10th. Building up that corridor is extremely important. If the hotel is at NE 8th and Phillips I wonder if the parking garage will go north or south of it? There are parking lots in both places.

Spartan
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM

That's nice.

John
09-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Whatever happened to JQH's Embassy Suites?

jbrown84
09-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I believe he's building it in Norman...

Steve
09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
JQH has a funny definition of "Oklahoma City"

Platemaker
09-18-2008, 06:01 PM

It's in Norman.

HOT ROD
09-18-2008, 07:02 PM
well, it is Oklahoma City Metropolitan Area. ...

and most people consider metro area when they say the major city (not just the central city limits). Example, people often say Microsoft is based in Seattle when actually it is in a suburb (called Redmond) 10 miles eastnortheast

oneforone
09-18-2008, 07:04 PM

I was down there yesterday and they are putting the finishing touches on the hotel and hiring staff. You can see it off to the east of I-35 just as you pass the York plant.

According to the web site they will start accepting reservations for arrival on October 26, 2008.

Embassy Suites Norman - Hotel & Conference Center - Groups & Meetings (http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/hotels/groups.jhtml?ctyhocn=OKCESES)

edcrunk
09-18-2008, 07:40 PM

wow... i'm amazed at what you wrote, bro. we've made huge strides. since dallas has been brought up, let's continue with that subject. i don't believe dallas is cleaner than okc by any means. if you travel thru town on I-30 or come into town thru I-35 from the southside... it's hideous. even I-20 isn't that great. every city has it's junky parts.
you mentioned atlanta. Shiny toy guns recently flew me into atlanta and what i saw on the ride from the airport to the venue they played in left me with a horrible impression. however, driving out of town i saw a much nicer side of that city. luckily i didn't fly back out of town i would have thought that place was junky and ghetto.

seriously, the view on I-40 has improved dramatically. remember when there was a big mound of dirt right next to the u-haul building forever? yukon and mwc have come quite a long way as well. not only is okc putting in a really nice, artsy highway featuring a bad-@$$ pedestrian bridge but core 2 shore is also in the planning stages.

there is no denying that we've come a loooooong way in the past 15 years and even more development is planned. what else do you want?

btw, my father is wondering what "big league city" you have in mind that we should emulate?

progressiveboy
09-18-2008, 07:53 PM
As I mentioned in my previous response, Yes Dallas does have it's not so desireable parts just like every city in American. No argument there. However, where I differ is Dallas overall, is a much more cleaner, well maintained city. The architecture is more stunning, modern and inspiring than OKC. Again, I also stated earlier on this thread with the addition of the Devon Skyscraper this in itself will be the start and hopefully a catylst in making the OKC skyline more modern and stunning, what I call the "Wow" factor. I think the developers on this particular project are trying to "skimp" on the appearance of the hotel by building half brick, half stucco which to me in my own opinion is a half a_ _ _ d attempt. In Dallas, we do not skimp on our architecture. Our new $1 Billion dollar Dallas Cowboy stadium is very sleek and futuristic. Our new downtown Opera house which will be completed in 09 is costing 450 million dollars an architectural gem. Also as I mentioned in the thread OKC is my hometown I wish it the best but again, to me it's still rather dirty and unkempt.

jbrown84
09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Our new $1 Billion dollar Dallas Cowboy stadium is very sleek and futuristic. Our new downtown Opera house which will be completed in 09 is costing 450 million dollars an architectural gem. Also as I mentioned in the thread OKC is my hometown I wish it the best but again, to me it's still rather dirty and unkempt.

Your best argument for OKC being "dirty and unkempt" is our architecture? That's a totally different thing. And if you think nowhere in Dallas is a half-stucco 8 story hotel being built, then you aren't looking very far. I guarantee it. Of course the new Cowboys stadium is fantastic, but the current one is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. Of course you are going all out on your new Opera House, but so are we on our new Native American Cultural Center, as well as our new Skydance Bridge on I-40 and our Ford Center improvements.

progressiveboy
09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Your best argument for OKC being "dirty and unkempt" is our architecture? That's a totally different thing. And if you think nowhere in Dallas is a half-stucco 8 story hotel being built, then you aren't looking very far. I guarantee it. Of course the new Cowboys stadium is fantastic, but the current one is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen. Of course you are going all out on your new Opera House, but so are we on our new Native American Cultural Center, as well as our new Skydance Bridge on I-40 and our Ford Center improvements.
Oh I forgot, we are developing our Trinity River district it will be costing up to 1 billion dollars and the new "signature" bridges that will be going over the Trinity will be designed by the famed architect Callavatra from Spain at a cost of $200 million dollars. Even Tulsa always complains how dirty and unkempt OKC is. I do wish the best for OKC and hope one day it proves me wrong.

edcrunk
09-18-2008, 09:37 PM
progressive boy, now that i know you are a dallasite... let me speak to you as a former dallasite. take a ride thru the eastside. it's dirty and trashy. take a drive down park lane sometime.
now architecture is something totally different. we are catching up to dallas in many regards, but yeah, our skyscrapers are plain and boring. jbrown disagrees with me, but dallas has one of the more modern and dynamic skylines in the US. no argument there. but okc is making amazing strides.

jbrown84
09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Even Tulsa always complains how dirty and unkempt OKC is.

Right. Tulsa and Dallas. No unrealistic condescension from either place... :lame:

OKC PATROL
09-19-2008, 10:16 AM
OKC does need to clean up a bit. 23rd street is the major concern, considering its history and location. Although, I am very confident that the Little Saigon developments will get it going. OCU is also helping a lot.

HOT ROD
09-19-2008, 08:37 PM
here is a better link for the Norman Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites Norman Oklahoma Hotel & Conference Center-Norman OK hotels (http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/OKCESES-Embassy-Suites-Norman-Hotel-Conference-Center-Oklahoma/index.do?brand_id=ES&brand_directory=/en/es/&xch=274306937,GJ1HUMH3RLVMECSGBJBOLYQ)

Once the OHC Embassy Suites is built - we'll have 3 in the metro. Not bad.

jbrown84
09-19-2008, 08:51 PM
That auditorium/ballroom looks NICE.

soonerguru
09-20-2008, 02:50 AM
OKC is my hometown I wish it the best but again, to me it's still rather dirty and unkempt.

No offense, but Dallas is a sad and lonely dump with some fancy architecture. I spend a lot of time there on business and it is one of the bleakest places on earth for human interaction, IMO. Nice architecture, but incredibly cold and hostile. And I say that despite the fact that much of what you say is true.

OKC is rough around the edges, but it also is full of life and real people. And it is changing, which makes it exciting.

I do question why you spend so much time on this board if you're always running down our city.

OKC PATROL
09-20-2008, 10:03 AM
No offense, but Dallas is a sad and lonely dump with some fancy architecture. I spend a lot of time there on business and it is one of the bleakest places on earth for human interaction, IMO. Nice architecture, but incredibly cold and hostile. And I say that despite the fact that much of what you say is true.

OKC is rough around the edges, but it also is full of life and real people. And it is changing, which makes it exciting.

I do question why you spend so much time on this board if you're always running down our city.

I concur and I would also add that Tulsa hides their crap under all those trees. I hate it when I step in my dogs sh!t, because the grass always covers it up.
:beaten_fi

johnnyincog
09-20-2008, 02:03 PM

future expansion of the OUHSC will be south through the area you speak of. anyone with some extra time on their hands can take a look at the master plan.

Oklahoma Health Center Master Plan - The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (http://www.ouhsc.edu/OHC_masterplan.asp)

BG918
09-22-2008, 07:16 AM
future expansion of the OUHSC will be south through the area you speak of. anyone with some extra time on their hands can take a look at the master plan.

Oklahoma Health Center Master Plan - The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (http://www.ouhsc.edu/OHC_masterplan.asp)

Yes their master plan has the OHC extending all the way to 4th. I wouldn't be surprised if someday the OHC extends all the way south to the tracks north of Sheridan. I'd like to see the OHC be more dense before expanding so much though.

I know in the master plan they want to eventually have Lottie connect with Sheridan along the tracks which would be great for better connecting that area with Bricktown/downtown.

jbrown84
09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
The masterplan has a lot of the surface lots being replaced with buildings or garages, so it will get denser.

Kerry
09-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Did anyone else notice that the study identified the Santa Fe station area as the future primary downtown transit hub?

BG918
09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Did anyone else notice that the study identified the Santa Fe station area as the future primary downtown transit hub?

Is this surprising to you? It's also the main transit hub in the C2S plan. One of these days it will be the primary downtown hub for commuter rail to Edmond/Norman, an inner city light rail system connecting downtown and the OHC, Amtrak, and key bus routes. All the area around Santa Fe will be a huge transit-oriented development including Bricktown and whatever is developed once the Cox is torn down.

Kerry
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
BG918 - It isn't a surprise to me but we still have a few holdouts on the Union Station rail yard. If there is any doubt about the future of rail in OKC just check out page 42 of the OUHSC master plan.

http://www.ouhsc.edu/documents/OHC_Master_Plan.pdf

lasomeday
10-07-2008, 03:29 PM
I think another big thing we should look at in the OUHSC area is bringing in a Private Research Hospital. Kind of like the Shriners Hospital in Shreveport and Houston. It would add to the mix and not put all the pressure on OU to do everything. I know that Presbeterian Research Park is there, but if we could get one or two like a Shriners or a Women's Hospital. It would also be great if OBU could get some more national funding or something and build on their Nursing school and make a real hospital, a Baptist research hospital? Each hospital could offer different specializations and contribute to the success of the other.

okclee
02-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Has this project been put to rest, just like most other projects these days??

Steve
02-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Nope, they're still working it.

metro
02-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Nope, they're still working it.

Any chance you can write an update, and mention it's going to be 25 stories? Come on Steve, put the pressure on them.........haha. Seriously any updates on th other projects that were supposed to have broken ground by now? (Sun Moon Plaza comes to mind).

okclee
02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
That is good news to hear, especially in the times we are living.

Steve
02-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Update: They're tweaking the project. Heard this just the other day. For a more complete update anytime soon, please clone me.

okclee
02-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Maybe you can Twitter us and update?? haha.

Doug Loudenback
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Steve, you want/need a clone? No telling what the clone would do or say ... and attribute it to you! :k-bunny:

sroberts24
03-31-2009, 06:44 AM
any news?

okclee
05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Looks like this project may not be dead yet.

http://www.okc.biz/article/05-24-2010/Whatever_happened_to_that.aspx

mugofbeer
05-28-2010, 10:04 AM
It would be nice to see a quality hotel in the HSC.

bigjkt405
05-28-2010, 10:13 AM
I have very mixed feelings on that project.. Hopefully they do something as it is just open space across from OUHSC.....

Spartan
05-28-2010, 10:21 AM
So they took off two floors and only revised the room count from 196 to 194. Hmm..

mugofbeer
05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I can't recall. Are there ANY other hotels in the vicinity?

metro
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Nope, and none really for the Capitol complex either, what a shame.

Spartan
05-28-2010, 11:57 AM
There are a LOT of political conferences that stay downtown. The thing that people don't realize about the capitol and medical areas, is that despite the hugely important facilities over there, it's still a rough area of town. Yeah, Lincoln's Terrace is lovely..wouldn't it be great if it comprised more of NE OKC. If we can get some transit-oriented streetcar along Lincoln between downtown and the OUHSC we might be in business. I think that is the realistic hope for this area, which we have to realize isn't going to develop on its own. On its own, it will continue to land more medical and research facilities, but we want more than that, right?