View Full Version : Amusing View Of The Thunder Logo

supersooner
09-17-2008, 12:58 PM
here (http://jamesrobertwatson.com/thunderlogo.html)

Karried
09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Someone has too much time on his hands.

I'm not a huge fan of the logo, but it is what it is... The Logo won't be all that matters with this team. Maybe they will make adaptations to it but even still, they will never please everyone.

jbrown84
09-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Someone has too much time on his hands.

Yeah seriously.

Plus he thinks it should have been Oklahoma Thunder.

supersooner
09-17-2008, 01:54 PM
a lot of people think it should of been Oklahoma instead of Oklahoma City, but I like Oklahoma City myself.

Laramie
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Oklahoma City favors the state's name so that is all that really matters.

I went to Tulsa on many occasions to watch the Tulsa Roudhnecks, I didn't hear anyone complain that the team was named for "Tulsa."

I'd be willing to bet that if the MLS comes to Tulsa they won't be calling it Oklahoma and willing to play some home games in Oklahoma City or Edmond.

metro
09-18-2008, 07:37 AM
here (http://jamesrobertwatson.com/thunderlogo.html)

He has many valid points. Although I too disagree with him saying it should have been named after the entire state. He needs to understand the power of branding more. OKC is fronting the majority of costs here and should reap the benefits, not to mention it's the location of the actual team.

animeGhost
09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
he is 100% right with the logo... i'm a graphic design student at uco and that logo pretty much goes against all the basics of design its not cohesive within its self the shield and the type dont line up, the "stripes" dont align with anything not even the okc that looks like its fallin off the logo... this is a horrible representation of our state. What u guys are sayin is exactly what he's talkin bout when he says oklahomans have this its good enough attitude... [end rant?]

ShiroiHikari
09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I also have to agree with Mr. Watson's assessment. No matter which way you slice it, it's still a bad logo.

Luke
09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, I like it.

:)

AAC2005
09-22-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm surprised no one has said that it looks a bit too much like this monstrosity:
http://www.mattmedia.net/mm-images/wizards150.gif
That was my first thought...my second was "I gotta get tickets for the March game!"

OKCisOK4me
09-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Maybe we could just ask Clay Bennett to consider changing the name of the team to Oklahoma City Metroplex Thunder....cause that sounds so much better and makes more sense with regard to where the fans will be coming from lmao. This guy is a joke and had to put the PhD on there to make his points valid.

venture
09-22-2008, 05:31 PM
My only hope is that we'll see a change to the font on the uniforms...that to me is the biggest problem. If they can use the font on this T-Shirt, and then work the logo in with it, it'll be much better.

http://www.exosports.com/product-images/xpokc12250810.jpg

animeGhost
09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe we could just ask Clay Bennett to consider changing the name of the team to Oklahoma City Metroplex Thunder....cause that sounds so much better and makes more sense with regard to where the fans will be coming from lmao. This guy is a joke and had to put the PhD on there to make his points valid.

you do realize he's like the head of the design department at uco!

oneforone
09-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Everybody needs to calm down on the name and the logo. What did you expect in just a few short months from getting the team to the actual arrival?

I am not a huge NBA fan but, I see this logo and name as the foundation or the basic application of team. I have a feeling by this time next year you are going to see a better logo and possibly even a pop culture song of the past, present or future tied to the team. I know the Bull's use Alan Parson's Siruis/Eye in the Sky for thier starting line up.

YouTube - Alan Parsons Project - Sirius - Chicago Bulls Animation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NusI0IR7Jg)

YouTube - chicago bulls introduction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYFlzJyxWlw&feature=related)

This is only the beginning, the best is yet to come.

AAC2005
09-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Hey!

You named two decent songs right there in the last line of your post..."Beginnings" by Chicago and "The Best is Yet to Come" by Tony Bennett. Neither one would probably make a good team intro song, but they're excellent tunes, anyway!

metro
09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
oneforone, NBA teams can only modify their logo every 5 years.

mmonroe
09-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, whoever wrote this article, obviously thinks clay didn't make a good faith effort to keep the team in Seattle, just by reading the first paragraph.

jbrown84
09-23-2008, 11:12 AM
If he's so concerned about the perception of Oklahoma, why did he get on his website and write a dissertation on how bad the logo is? All he's doing is giving the naysayers fuel.

animeGhost
09-24-2008, 09:53 AM
nothing would ever progress if someone didnt stand up and say something!

TaoMaas
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
If he's so concerned about the perception of Oklahoma, why did he get on his website and write a dissertation on how bad the logo is? All he's doing is giving the naysayers fuel.

My favorite comment on there was this: "Oklahoma was probably not known as a design powerhouse before, but now?"

I couldn't help but ask myself, "So...who's teaching all these Okies poor design skills?" lol I just object to the whole tone of the article. After all, what does three parallel stripes say about Adidas? Or the "swoosh" say about Nike? The logo doesn't make the team/company.....the team/company gives the logo impact.

OKCisOK4me
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM

I don't really LIKE give a crap. If the guy was so opinionated about the whole thing maybe he should have called Mr. Bennett up and given them some pointers since he seems to know everything about advertising. The fact that he writes about it afterward tells me he didn't have an interest in this team coming here. Yeah the logo is not the best but for a 4 month design it'll pass.

animeGhost
09-24-2008, 10:30 PM
My favorite comment on there was this: "Oklahoma was probably not known as a design powerhouse before, but now?"

I couldn't help but ask myself, "So...who's teaching all these Okies poor design skills?" lol I just object to the whole tone of the article. After all, what does three parallel stripes say about Adidas? Or the "swoosh" say about Nike? The logo doesn't make the team/company.....the team/company gives the logo impact.

well most design graduates leave and head for the coast where they have a chance of making a career.

BigTulsa
10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Oklahoma City favors the state's name so that is all that really matters.

I went to Tulsa on many occasions to watch the Tulsa Roudhnecks, I didn't hear anyone complain that the team was named for "Tulsa."

I'd be willing to bet that if the MLS comes to Tulsa they won't be calling it Oklahoma and willing to play some home games in Oklahoma City or Edmond.

Yep, but if I recall, didn't Tulsa have a USFL football team we named the Oklahoma Outlaws?

Tulsa Roughnecks fit because we didn't ask OKC to be included in the marketshare.

OkieHornet
10-08-2008, 08:25 AM

he's actually like the FORMER head of the design department at UCO.