View Full Version : University/Campus Corner

BG918
09-14-2008, 10:43 PM
I worked on a project at OU a few years back where we created a master plan for mixed-use development along University Blvd. in Campus Corner. There is currently not much along this stretch which happens to have two beautiful landmarks at each end: McFarlin Methodist Church to the north and Evans Hall to the south. However that will be changing as In The Raw sushi will open soon in the old Harold's Outlet. I can only hope it spurs additional development.

The plan I created was fairly basic and outlined how the space could be redeveloped into an urban, pedestrian-friendly "gateway" to OU. The first phase of development would be a new 4-5 story Sooner Hotel to be built at the corner of University and White (where there is currently Box Talent and two houses). The hotel would come right up to the buildings currently on White with a restaurant at the corner and a main entrance on University. Parking would be under the building, accessible from the northside.

The second phase would be a mixed-use building on the westside of the street north of Boyd House. White would be extended to access a new parking garage with first floor retail and second floor offices fronting University. New angled or parallel parking spaces would be out front. Restaurants, stores, and a bookstore like Borders or Barnes & Noble would go here.

The third phase would be a 3-4 story residential building at the northwest corner of University and White with street level retail/restaurant space. This would be geared towards students. Additional 2-3 story residential buildings could be built further to the north along University replacing the aging apts. and houses there now. Another student had a neat proposal to also extend Park St. (to the west of University) down to Boyd and build new single-family homes there while keeping University more dense and then connecting Park to the rest of Campus Corner via White (which would run from Park to Asp).

Image of the proposed buildings looking north from just south of White (by First Pres. Church). I'll see if I can find more pics/plans later
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bg918/universityave1.jpg

It's modeled after Ohio State's mixed-use South Campus Gateway:
http://campuspartners.osu.edu/images/model.jpg
http://www.cityofeastlansing.com/eastvillage/newsletter/apart_view2.jpg

blangtang
09-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I love it!

Now, if u have some political muscle behind you, you could get the surface parking lot declared as an eminent domain for economic development project-the one on the west side of university, north of the boren compound. im sure it used to be residential. bring it back to its original highest and best use.

once thats done, u could buy out that apartment complex on the west side of univ, just north of white. i think that owner paid about 1.1 mil a couple years ago. the box talent place was up for rent recently, now it has a law firm. and the big house just north of the box 'box' just got renovated and always has a weekend party. I'm guessing that owner would sell for maybe 400-500K.

find the investors! I'll sign the petition

u have to remember the property owned by religious organizations is exempt form ad valorem taxes. so thats a bargaining chip when it comes to negotiations with the city/county.

get that buyout fund set up!

blangtang
09-15-2008, 12:24 AM
oh and another thing....

extending park down to boyd...it would run into either OU property or that baptist student union.

but if its single family residences, u could prolly get the old farts like mayor rosenthal or dillingham on board.

just a thought

BG918
09-15-2008, 01:23 AM
oh and another thing....

extending park down to boyd...it would run into either OU property or that baptist student union.

but if its single family residences, u could prolly get the old farts like mayor rosenthal or dillingham on board.

just a thought

You are right, extending Park would mean purchasing and demolishing the BSU. The idea behind extending Park came from the desire of many to live in the campus area but either A) they don't want to rent an apartment or B) they want a new house. Restoring the grid by extending Park gives you over a dozen potential lots (if you go by the lot sizing already in place in the neighborhood) that could be turned into single-family homes and each lot would probably fetch $100-150,000. No McMansions here though as you would have to fit your house on those lots. However location would be great right next to restaurants and shops on the Corner, right next to OU, a few blocks from downtown, etc. The higher densities would remain along University, Asp and Boyd. I could also see medium-density townhomes and such along Duffy in the future, especially if it's extended from Asp to University.

Jeopardude
09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
You are right, extending Park would mean purchasing and demolishing the BSU. The idea behind extending Park came from the desire of many to live in the campus area but either A) they don't want to rent an apartment or B) they want a new house. Restoring the grid by extending Park gives you over a dozen potential lots (if you go by the lot sizing already in place in the neighborhood) that could be turned into single-family homes and each lot would probably fetch $100-150,000. No McMansions here though as you would have to fit your house on those lots. However location would be great right next to restaurants and shops on the Corner, right next to OU, a few blocks from downtown, etc. The higher densities would remain along University, Asp and Boyd. I could also see medium-density townhomes and such along Duffy in the future, especially if it's extended from Asp to University.

No. No! NO!

The BSU is a beautiful modern building. In your mention of the two anchors, you neglect to mention First Presbyterian Church, Las Donas apartments, Boyd House, and Whitehand Hall. They're not in your bland mockup. And all landmarks.

Also your assertion that "No McMansions here though as you would have to fit your house on those lots" is shaky. That's what make McMansions McMansions - the disproportionate size of the house to the lot. And also people will just buy two lots (e.g. see the beauty at Elm and Boyd).

Calling ruining Park Drive (one of the most charming streets in Norman) "restoring the grid" is a painful euphemism. And it takes away lots of parking too. If people can't compromise and not buy a new house and dare live in an older one, they should go Blandishment Acres.

A wonderful daydream on paper, but it conflicts with some not-so-bad realities. The DeBarr (though there's some interesting individual things going on there) and Duffy corridor seem more likely.

BG918
09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
First Pres., Las Donas, Boyd House, the Old Faculty Club, and Whitehand Hall are still there. The plan simply fills in the massive surface lot on the west side of Univ. with retail, office, a parking garage (no parking lost) and housing along Park. The only casualties would be the BSU (sorry but it's nothing special or even historic), the Keys West apartments on University, the Box Talent building, and several older rent homes along University north of White.

And this is what I could see along Park, something where the early-mid century aesthetic is maintained similar to the existing neighborhood but with new construction. The sizing of the yards and houses would have it fit into the existing neighborhood. Park is a very charming street indeed and newer homes, if built right, could enhance the street as it connects Main to Boyd. There are several examples of this around campus with newer homes built in old neighborhoods, here are some more:
http://www.planetizen.com/files/new-urbanist-neighborhood.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2068/2200317521_4ae516483d.jpg

blangtang
09-17-2008, 11:18 PM
those houses looks period, but they arent from Norman. I don't see how this happens without political will and a big wallet to boot. To add 10 or 12 lots on park would require the sale price of the new houses to be well over 400K each, to compensate for the acquisition of land.

its an interesting idea, i do agree there is more to be done with that surface lot across from the church...also the lot across from mcfarlin, but i just don't see how to pry those lots from the churches.

it would be better tax wise for the city, but norman just doesn't work like that. i wish it did...