View Full Version : Drunk Attorneys

Pages : [1] 2

Karried
09-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh My!

'WhataFiasco!'

WARR ACRES — Two attorneys were arrested in Warr Acres on Friday morning after witnesses reported the men driving the wrong way through a restaurant drive through lane.

Attorney Lewis B. Moon, 42, and Oklahoma County public defender David James Bedford, 32, were arrested about 1:40 a.m. at Whataburger, 7820 N MacArthur, after an employee called police and said a driver of a Cadillac Escalade was causing a disturbance and appeared intoxicated, Warr Acres Police Sgt. Alan Davidofsky said.

Witnesses told police the men nearly hit another car in the drive-through lane.

When a police officer arrived, Moon, the driver, was uncooperative and was “taken down,” Davidofsky said.

He said Moon also spit in an officer’s face.
Davidofsky said Moon pulled out a badge from the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s office and claimed to be a deputy.

Sheriff’s spokesman Mark Myers said the badge actually is known as a sheriff’s “eagle badge.” The badges are given to people who support the sheriff’s department but they are not official law officer badges. Myers said the badges are not given to people who promise political support or financial contributions but are more of a “keepsake.”
Myers said Sheriff John Whetsel “is extremely disappointed,” to hear about Moon’s arrest.
Moon was said to be belligerent at the Warr Acres Police Department, as well.

“While they were here, Moon was dropping names of judges and threatening to sue everyone. Then, comments were made about tracking down the clerks who called him in,” Davidofsky said.

Moon was taken to the Oklahoma County jail and booked on complaints of having actual physical control of a motor vehicle while intoxicated, impersonating a law officer, resisting arrest and placing bodily fluids on a law officer, Davidofsky said.

He said Moon refused to take a breath test to determine whether he was intoxicated.
Myers said Moon was released from the jail Friday morning on $8,000 bail.
Bedford was arrested on a complaint of public intoxication and released from jail early Friday after posting $245 bail, on the Warr Acres municipal complaint, Myers said.

jbrown84
09-12-2008, 04:04 PM
That's crazy. Good luck getting any work now, Mr. Moon.

OKCMallen
09-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Douchebags. This should be a non-story except for the public defender being involved.

jsibelius
09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Aggie Engineering at its best.

Steve
09-12-2008, 09:26 PM
You really haven't fully "experienced" this story without also watching the accompanying video at Oklahoma News, Weather, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Travel | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com).

oneforone
09-13-2008, 05:01 AM
I guess these guys think it is quite alright to break the law in Oklahoma (provided you have connections in the government).I just wonder how these judges they mentioned will feel the next time these two are representing a client in their courtoom.

I hope MADD and a few other groups come out to protest the actions of these two clowns. It's plain and simple if your going to get drunk, call a cab, designate a driver or just stay home.

What is your opinion on this? check out the video in the link.

Attorneys get taste of clients' plight | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/attorneys-get-taste-of-clients-plight/article/3297364/?tm=1221289616)

OKCTalker
09-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Lewis Moon is a DUI and criminal defense attorney. Key his name into OSCN, and limit your search to Oklahoma County OCIS Case Search (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/casesearch.asp) I hope that the Bar Association takes action against this guy and their own guy who sexually assaulted and bit a woman at Remington Park earlier this year. We'll see if they believe in policing their own. One more thing: Is that the infamous Escalade parked in the driveway in this picture? http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/3633/R128901160001wA.jpg

Easy180
09-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Moon really did come off as a very good Nick Nolte...Pretty impressive

bornhere
09-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Some enterprising reporter should find out why they were so insistent being taken to county... I'm guessing it was in the hope they'd be extended 'professional courtesy' and allowed to walk.

John
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
One more thing: Is that the infamous Escalade parked in the driveway in this picture?

Might be an old one... He drives a white one now.

edcrunk
09-13-2008, 01:10 PM
we wanna go to county right now! hahahahahahahahha

OKCTalker
09-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Might be an old one... He drives a white one now.

I hope he's about to PARK that white one now. They ought to boot his wheel and put an ankle monitor on him.

grantgeneral78
09-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Moon really did come off as a very good Nick Nolte...Pretty impressive

HAHA, I was thinking the same thing when -I- seen the story on TV.

:dizzy:

kevinpate
09-13-2008, 07:54 PM
.oO(there are likely going to be some interesting in camera conversations about the on camera ranting)Oo.

sweetdaisy
09-13-2008, 08:39 PM
OMG. That video is really sad. Moon is a total dillhole.

I couldn't help but be amused that the video was sponsored by the Central Oklahoma Cadillac Dealers. :) (Escalade anyone?)

wsucougz
09-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Take Us To County!

blangtang
09-15-2008, 12:37 AM
maybe its just me...but...

why did the warr acres PD release this video to the newsok crew? it seems unprofessional and tawdry.

yeah sure these guys were drunk or whatever, but it seems sensational to release the video...

anyway, continue the bashing

kevinpate
09-15-2008, 04:33 AM
I'm not thinking of any exception that would have allowed them to refuse a request for the video.

Midtowner
09-15-2008, 06:26 AM
n/m.

MadMonk
09-15-2008, 07:54 AM
"Take us to county!!" is the new "Don't tase me bro!" :D

OKCMallen
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I hope that the Bar Association takes action against this guy and their own guy who sexually assaulted and bit a woman at Remington Park earlier this year.

GUilty til proven innocent?

OKCTalker
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Mallen - Yes, the constitution guarantees a trial by a jury of your peers, but come on - do you really think that he's innocent? Do you think that his wife waited for the verdict?

OKCMallen
09-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Mallen - Yes, the constitution guarantees a trial by a jury of your peers, but come on - do you really think that he's innocent? Do you think that his wife waited for the verdict?

This kind of attitude is precisely why we have Constitutional guarantees.

That being said, though, attorneys are held to a higher standard and I would like to see the OBA lower the boom on these people if needed....AFTER due process, not before.

Karried
09-15-2008, 11:34 AM
why did the warr acres PD release this video to the newsok crew? it seems unprofessional and tawdry.

yeah sure these guys were drunk or whatever, but it seems sensational to release the video...

Because people need to know when to get off the road.

Midtowner
09-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd be interested to know what went on with the 'impersonating a police officer' incident. I don't think he really impersonated an officer, but rather, he was showing that he was a financial supporter of law enforcement. Folks do that all the time. It is fairly well known that one of those "I gave money to the FOP in 2008" stickers is a great way to get out of a ticket.

The police airing this footage is pretty bush league, IMHO.

That said, if he's guilty of all of these things, he should have some 'splainin to do with the OBA. Most likely, he'll get into a rehab program, walk the straight and narrow from here on out and all will be well.

As for the Asst. Public Defender, may God have mercy on his soul when he has his sit down with Robert Ravitz.

OKCMallen
09-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Extremely.

bornhere
09-15-2008, 02:12 PM

I don't know what the law is specifically on this kind of video, but it may be covered by the Open Records Act, leaving the police with no choice but to release it if it's requested.

Drake
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I'd be interested to know what went on with the 'impersonating a police officer' incident. I don't think he really impersonated an officer, but rather, he was showing that he was a financial supporter of law enforcement. Folks do that all the time. It is fairly well known that one of those "I gave money to the FOP in 2008" stickers is a great way to get out of a ticket.

That said, if he's guilty of all of these things, he should have some 'splainin to do with the OBA. Most likely, he'll get into a rehab program, walk the straight and narrow from here on out and all will be well.

As for the Asst. Public Defender, may God have mercy on his soul when he has his sit down with Robert Ravitz.

Says he proclaimed to be a deputy. What was he trying to do? That is different than flashing a badge and saying " I am financial supporter of the sheriffs dept" .

Of course, spitting on an officer is probably not the best way to get out of a ticket didn't help matters overall.

jbrown84
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't know what the law is specifically on this kind of video, but it may be covered by the Open Records Act, leaving the police with no choice but to release it if it's requested.

Yeah, so why is it "bush-league"?

OKCMallen
09-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Yeah, so why is it "bush-league"?

You don't see everyone else's DUI videos released and splattered all over the TV and internet.

OKCTalker
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
I know a guy who was stopped for suspicion of DUI. He shot off his mouth about being on a committee that supports police and public safety (although a true statement, it wasn't smart and didn't help). He was thrown off the committee shortly thereafter. So there's a little "justice" in the world. (Mallen - that wasn't a shot at you, but pun intended!)

jbrown84
09-15-2008, 04:38 PM
You don't see everyone else's DUI videos released and splattered all over the TV and internet.

"The police" didn't broadcast it. Newsok did.

OKCMallen
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I know a guy who was stopped for suspicion of DUI. He shot off his mouth about being on a committee that supports police and public safety (although a true statement, it wasn't smart and didn't help). He was thrown off the committee shortly thereafter. So there's a little "justice" in the world. (Mallen - that wasn't a shot at you, but pun intended!)

Sound slike he deserved it!!! I love when hubris meets karma. :)

OKCMallen
09-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Still BS. You don't see anyone else's displayed for everyone...why are these guys different? Just sensational at the expense of these people's private lives...and asst. PDs are NOT politicians, they are normal state employees.

Hollywood
09-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Still BS. You don't see anyone else's displayed for everyone...why are these guys different? Just sensational at the expense of these people's private lives...and asst. PDs are NOT politicians, they are normal state employees.

I don't know... ask the Oklahoman. I have yet to see a law enforcement agency just openly release something without being asked by the media first through the Open Records Act.

If for some reason the Oklahoman wanted to watch a video of a 19 year old idiot arrested for DUI, I am sure they would request it. Don't pin this on a P.D. who is just following the rules. Guess this is a damned if you do and damned if you don't thing though in some peoples eyes.

Midtowner
09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
haha.. and the ever-investigative Oklahoman crime bureau uncovered this all on their lonesome? Yeah right.

OKCTalker
09-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Detroit's mayor was forced out of office two weeks ago because the Detroit newspaper published text messages that led to 10 felony counts against him and his former chief of staff. I don't always agree with everything the "Fourth Estate" does, but a free press is a good thing.

bornhere
09-16-2008, 03:06 AM

Other people don't threaten to bring the wrath of district judges down on arresting officers' heads.

Assistant PD's and private practice attorneys aren't politicians, but they are officers of the court, which is why Mike Gassaway, Grover Miskovsky and Dan Murdock make the news.

Somehow I have managed to live my entire life without getting picked up for DUI or drunkenly calling cops a**holes. That's worked pretty well for me.

yukong
09-16-2008, 05:32 AM

These guys are different because they are "officers of the court" (a nice term for those of us that are licensed to practice law) and one of them specializes in "DUI" cases. The other is a "public defender". That is what makes them different from"Joe Six Pack" who gets stopped for DUI. Moon has made quite a living on representing people charged with DUI. He is one that "should know better" and should especially "know better" what to do if stopped by police. When he started invoking the names of "Judge Elliott" "Twila Mason Gray" and others staying they were going to get the cops; when he flashed a "supporter badge" and tried to pass himself off as a Sheriff's Deputy...well, he pretty much was begging for all of this to get in the press. I have no doubt that the cops told the media that there was video. Of course, anyone that works the crime beat at the Oklahoman or any of the TV stations knows that most all police agencies have booking room video systems and in car video systems. They know to ask. It is covered by the "Open Records Act". Face it...anytime a lawyer breaks the law...it is going to be big news. Just like when a judge or cop or politician breaks the law. From the smallest to the largest. Whenever you set yourself up to be different from Joe Sixpack, then you are going to be treated different from Joe Sixpack.

kevinpate
09-16-2008, 05:47 AM
What yukong said. No one asks for Bubba Brickmason's drunken ranting video because folks assume the drunken rvings of the bluecollar are the norm for drunken bluecollars.

But for a DUI attorney running the car the wrong way at the drive in, and getting physical and mouthy in the aftermath, yeah, that's a tri-fecta. It's also why Murfock of the OBA made the paper and Bubba Brickmason did not. Whatever did or did not happen at Remington that eve, I'd be willing to bet there were more newsworthy events to run with, though perhaps not more newsational events at the time.

As for wrong-way, I've decided he wanted to lead by example. he can obtain this video and show it to teens and others ins eminars as a stellar example of what not to do.

Now, see there, right there, where I'm screaming my head off, notice how they do not really care that I am ticked off. please notice also the shiny bracelet locking me to the bar on the wall.

There's a lesson for you. When you are stopped, STHU and be respectful, and this kind of #@*($& may not happen to you ... you get it now?

OKCMallen
09-16-2008, 07:37 AM
These guys are different because they are "officers of the court" (a nice term for those of us that are licensed to practice law) and one of them specializes in "DUI" cases. The other is a "public defender". That is what makes them different from"Joe Six Pack" who gets stopped for DUI. Moon has made quite a living on representing people charged with DUI. He is one that "should know better" and should especially "know better" what to do if stopped by police. When he started invoking the names of "Judge Elliott" "Twila Mason Gray" and others staying they were going to get the cops; when he flashed a "supporter badge" and tried to pass himself off as a Sheriff's Deputy...well, he pretty much was begging for all of this to get in the press. I have no doubt that the cops told the media that there was video. Of course, anyone that works the crime beat at the Oklahoman or any of the TV stations knows that most all police agencies have booking room video systems and in car video systems. They know to ask. It is covered by the "Open Records Act". Face it...anytime a lawyer breaks the law...it is going to be big news. Just like when a judge or cop or politician breaks the law. From the smallest to the largest. Whenever you set yourself up to be different from Joe Sixpack, then you are going to be treated different from Joe Sixpack.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the phrase as I am also a member of the Bar. My point is merely that these people have private lives. They are private citizens, not elected or appointed officials. And if you think non-attorneys don't drop names all the time when they're picked up drunk, I think you'd be sorely mistaken, but we don't see their DUI videos up for judgment, do we?

My point is that this video wasn't put up to show the public something they needed to see because they are officers of the court. We're not rooting out corruption here. These guys aren't elected officials. We have a video put up for public entertainment because a) people don't like attorneys and b) DUI videos are funny. This isn't an important function of the free press.

That being said, these guys are complete jerks and I hope the Bar has a little talk with them.

amaesquire
09-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I'm familiar with the term as I am also a member of the Bar.

Well said.

As a member of the Bar, I am aware that I am an officer of the Court, but I do not expect my private life to plastered (so to speak) all over the news. I'm pretty sure the other thousands of members of the Oklahoma Bar feel the same way - our private lives are just that: OUR PRIVATE LIVES.

With that said, DUI videos (not actual DUI's, but the videos of the arrestees) are funny. I would suggest we do something like JohnTV (where they put up pictures of men who solicit hookers), on one of those channels instead of cars and homes for sale, and just show drunk-tank footage. I would watch it every now and then I'm sure.

Hollywood
09-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Well said.

As a member of the Bar, I am aware that I am an officer of the Court, but I do not expect my private life to plastered (so to speak) all over the news. I'm pretty sure the other thousands of members of the Oklahoma Bar feel the same way - our private lives are just that: OUR PRIVATE LIVES.

Would you still feel this way if it was an off-duty police officer who had been arrested for DUI?

Midtowner
09-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Would you still feel this way if it was an off-duty police officer who had been arrested for DUI?

I'm pretty sure the media would never have heard about the arrest had it been an off duty police officer -- in the rare event that professional courtesy was not extended.

OKCMallen
09-16-2008, 10:27 AM

I would. Cops are "always" cops even when off-duty, I suppose, but it's not like I expect them to be perfect citizens 100% of the time.

yukong
09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure the media would never have heard about the arrest had it been an off duty police officer -- in the rare event that professional courtesy was not extended.

Well now...surely you haven't forgotten that over the past several months there have been repeated news stories of off duty cops getting busted for DUI. Now granted, they were cops from one town getting busted in another town, but still there were stories in the paper and on the TV news shows.

If you watch the video closely, you see the cop trying to tell Moon that he was being taped. He kept pointing to the camera, and Moon just kept on blathering about judge this, and county that, etc. I have no problem with what happened. I know as a lawyer, especially one that is subject to constant media contact because of what I do, that should I get busted for anything, it will be in the news. I have no problem with that situation either. I just don't get drunk and make an ass out of myself. Pretty easy. But if I did, I believe I would deserve whatever fallout might occur. That is the price I pay for being who I am, and doing what I do. Moon is no different.

An as far as the comment from the other poster saying "I do not expect my private life to plastered (so to speak) all over the news", I say...you do something that stupid, in public...it is no longer your "private life." It becomes a public situation, and you get public attention.

bornhere
09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I've known a couple of cops here in OKC whose careers were ended by DUI arrests. I won't mention names since it's been years ago and they've moved on with their lives, but if you stop and think about it I bet you'll recall them. Their arrests were in the papers.

Again, if you don't want to be embarrassed by a DUI arrest, the easiest way to avoid it is to not drive drunk. I know it's a hell of an imposition, but it works.

OKCMallen
09-16-2008, 12:52 PM
An as far as the comment from the other poster saying "I do not expect my private life to plastered (so to speak) all over the news", I say...you do something that stupid, in public...it is no longer your "private life." It becomes a public situation, and you get public attention.

What happens in the back room of a police station should, indeed, be private in some of our opinions. You do that out on the street, that's one thing. The purpose of that camera is NOT public humiliation. It's there as much for the protection of the arrested individuals as much as it is the protection of the cops.

amaesquire
09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
What happens in the back room of a police station should, indeed, be private in some of our opinions. You do that out on the street, that's one thing. The purpose of that camera is NOT public humiliation. It's there as much for the protection of the arrested individuals as much as it is the protection of the cops.

I will, once again, concur.

Before anybody actually takes me seriously in my previous post about having a channel dedicated to drunk-tank footage, I must admit that I DO NOT actually want that. I was being facetious.

However, this conversation has taken a turn, and people will probably soon be ranting about how I want my life to be private, but I would be okay with a channel dedicated to drunk-tank footage and how I'm a hypocrite and blah blah blah.

Hopefully it will all end with someone blaming me for the Bricktown Parking problem or associate me with Tom Elmore and his railroad conspiracy.

OKCMallen
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I will, once again, concur.

Before anybody actually takes me seriously in my previous post about having a channel dedicated to drunk-tank footage, I must admit that I DO NOT actually want that. I was being facetious.

However, this conversation has taken a turn, and people will probably soon be ranting about how I want my life to be private, but I would be okay with a channel dedicated to drunk-tank footage and how I'm a hypocrite and blah blah blah.

Hopefully it will all end with someone blaming me for the Bricktown Parking problem or associate me with Tom Elmore and his railroad conspiracy.

I AM sick of your parking BS. :tiphat:

I can see both sides of this issue and I can see how reasonable people may differ on this one.

hoya
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, new poster.

I actually know both of these guys, and while they may not have been on their best behavior, Warr Acres PD didn't exercise its best judgment either. This story isn't over.

jbrown84
09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Care to elaborate?

Midtowner
09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I AM sick of your parking BS. :tiphat:

I can see both sides of this issue and I can see how reasonable people may differ on this one.

Right.

I think there's enough bad to be said about the behavior on both sides of these arrests and that the conduct of one party does not excuse the conduct of another party, i.e., two wrongs don't make a right.

The two attorneys were [allegedly] wrong to be driving drunk/drunk in public while Mr. Moon was [allegedly] in the wrong for spitting on a police officer as well as trying to pass himself off as a law enforcement officer.

The police, however, had no valid reason in my book to alert the media (if that's indeed what happened), and this whole thing should have had the opportunity to play out just as the thousands of other crimes of this nature have been able to play out.

OKCMallen
09-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, new poster.

I actually know both of these guys, and while they may not have been on their best behavior, Warr Acres PD didn't exercise its best judgment either. This story isn't over.

You can't do that! Let it all hang out or don't allude to it!

OKCTalker
09-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Before Hoya weighs in (and you'd better!), don't lose sight of our police officers who have to put up with this sort of abuse every time they clock in. I'd imagine that exercising restraint and not nailing guys like Moon is the hardest thing they do. We owe them a lot. OK, back to regular programming.

Midtowner
09-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Because you would physically assault someone simply because they're intoxicated and think yourself justified in doing so?

I assume by "nailing," you mean physical assault, correct?

OKCTalker
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
Because you would physically assault someone simply because they're intoxicated and think yourself justified in doing so?

I assume by "nailing," you mean physical assault, correct?

Midtowner - Whoa there, big fella. I was emphasizing the restraint of police officers, not that I'm on the prowl for drunks to roll. I haven't hit anyone since 4th grade music class (and I'm pretty sure that he hadn't been drinking).

Midtowner
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Midtowner - Whoa there, big fella. I was emphasizing the restraint of police officers, not that I'm on the prowl for drunks to roll. I haven't hit anyone since 4th grade music class (and I'm pretty sure that he hadn't been drinking).

Ah, so then it takes restraint to keep from beating up drunks? Police officers put up with a great deal of grief, I'm sure. We all do. That we don't beat anyone up when we are confronted with distasteful people shouldn't be laudable, it should be expected.

However you shake it, what you said doesn't sound good. The police should only use force in a narrow set of circumstances. That's the scope of their job and authority. They don't deserve any extra kudos for doing what their job minimally allows and obeying the laws they're supposed to enforce.

PennyQuilts
09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
As an officer of the court, and one who spends time at the court house (like these guys do), I think I would be so mortified at screwing up like this that I'd want to crawl into a hole. I guarantee, if anyone was jumping up and down defending my privacy, thank you very much, they'd have to do it without my encouragement. Seriously, I'd just die right then and there. Can you imagine how tough it is going to be for these guys to go back before a judge (assuming they have the nerve AND the opportunity) and try to pursuade the court that their client was either innocent or deserves a break? Of course, I suppose they could trot out this video and insist that compared to THIS (pointing at the video), their client is a saint! I would be too embarassed to even beg for mercy on the video.

bornhere
09-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Nobody hit anyone else in this incident, so why go off into that area?

I'm going to be curious about 'best judgement' in this case as well.