View Full Version : Cox Comm - Internet Connection

AAC2005
09-11-2008, 07:24 AM
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I have a question about a recent installation by Cox Communications:

I had Cox install a Motorola SURFboard cable modem, because I presumed it was needed for the digital phone service, which was added on to the TV and Internet bundle. However, I'm now finding out - duh - that I should have asked for a wireless modem or gateway for my laptop and TiVO. My question is - can I replace the Motorola modem with my "old" Linksys modem and wireless gateway setup without compromising the phone service, or am I at the mercy of the monopoly and will have to ask for a gateway from them?

At first glance, I didn't think there would be a problem because the Linksys system had been in use since 2007 without the phone service, but I need a second (or third) opinion.

Thanks!

(I should add that I just moved into a new house, so everything had to be done from "point one" - no existing lines, nothin'.)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Unless I'm missing something about your setup (like maybe you run your landline phone through your computer), your modem has absolutely nothing to do with your phone or your cable service.

Midtowner
09-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Your phone service and your TV service both go through a digital converter box. It's a white box somewhere inside or outside your home. Your internet service comes directly off of the cable line and into the modem.

If you need help, I recommend just calling their customer service. I believe the number is 600-8282.

Karried
09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I have my Linksys connected to the Cox Motorola Modem downstairs which picks up the Laptop, Xbox 360, Wii, etc...

But, we have a digital box upstairs and I doubt that is associated with the modem at all.

You should call, they are pretty helpful..

oneforone
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
They have a newer modem that I recieved when my phone line got hit by lightning. The installer replaced the white box and modem with an all in one modem/VOIP Box with battery backup. To the best of my knowledge their is not Cox Modem that has wireless capabilities. I am using a linksys routier with my setup. I got it at Best Buy for $60.

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_lowres/CM550.jpg

OU Adonis
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I have a question about a recent installation by Cox Communications:

I had Cox install a Motorola SURFboard cable modem, because I presumed it was needed for the digital phone service, which was added on to the TV and Internet bundle. However, I'm now finding out - duh - that I should have asked for a wireless modem or gateway for my laptop and TiVO. My question is - can I replace the Motorola modem with my "old" Linksys modem and wireless gateway setup without compromising the phone service, or am I at the mercy of the monopoly and will have to ask for a gateway from them?

At first glance, I didn't think there would be a problem because the Linksys system had been in use since 2007 without the phone service, but I need a second (or third) opinion.

Thanks!

(I should add that I just moved into a new house, so everything had to be done from "point one" - no existing lines, nothin'.)

You can bring your own equipment for your internet service. And you can use the modem provided by them for your phone service and a seperate modem for your computer. (I.E your wireless gateway) This is an a-typical setup though and you will have to contact tech support to get this setup.

AAC2005
09-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks so much for all of your replies, that's why this is a really excellent board!

I tried running everything through the Linksys system on the "bring your own equipment theory", but I lost the phone connection (and never got an Internet hookup with the Linksys).

I'll get in touch with Cox to see what options I have to keep all of my toys happy...

(BTW: It's a Motorola SBV522 Digital Voice Modem, and it does have a phone line running from the back of it into the wall...there are a lot of things about this setup that don't make sense, and that's one of them.)

Thanks again!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-12-2008, 07:22 AM
You can't switch modems without calling Cox and updating your MAC address (stamped on the back of the router) or it won't work.

Martin
09-12-2008, 07:26 AM
are you trying to hook your phone throught your linksys? you shouldn't have to do that... just plug your phone into any regular phone jack in your house and you should be good-to-go.

as for internet, i believe that your modem has to be registered with cox before it will properly connect... so changing that out will require a call.

-M

Jacob_Daddy
09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
OK, this is how it works, that box that they installed provides you with your phone service and your telephone service. If you want to use your own wireless cable modem, then you can do that, you just need the MAC address off the back, and to call into customer service, 600-8282. The box that they installed will still need to be hooked up, and plugged into your telephone line. It receives your phone signals, and TRANSMITS it to the other jacks in the house over the internal phone wiring already in place. That is why it is plugged into a phone jack.

So you currently have a box installed by Cox that provides you with Data and Voice, the way you want it setup would be to use your own box for Data and their box for voice.

Customer service will hook you up! 600-8282 is your friend!

Bobby821
09-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Why would you or anyone want the Phone service going through the internet ?? If it were me i would have told them i wanted the regular phone line hooked up with a new AARIS box on the back of the house, I will never have my phone service going through the internet it will always be like it has been done for the last 100 yrs or so as far as my house and phone are concerned.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Because if you're worth your salt, you can get phone over these here intertubes for FREE.

You know what else we did 100 years ago? Didn't let women vote.

Jacob_Daddy
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Your phone doesn't go over the internet with Cox. It is not a VoIP service. The box connects to the cable that feeds the information back to the central office for Cox. It is NOT VoIP, your voice doesn't travel over the internet. It is transmitted over radio frequency back until it gets to the central office where the telephone switch is, then it acts just like ATT and travels over whoever's fiber optic lines going from this city, to that city, to this country, whatever.

Bobby821
09-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I would have still made them put the box back on the house and put it back like it was rather than put a new modem inside the house.

venture
09-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Cox NO LONGER supports and will NO LONGER install the phone boxes outside. EVERYONE who now adds this service or makes any modifications to the phone service will be transitioned to the new modem/phone hybrid box.

That's the way it is and its not going to change. Like stated above...its not a VOIP line, but running over their digital signal like it did before. I run the Cox phone line in addition to another VOIP line I use for business. Never had an issue with it.

You want a regular land line, go with AT&T.

So back to the original poster's question. You will need to have the new combo box plugged in somewhere to have phone service. Your best bet would be to have a wireless router attached to the cable modem box to handle your internal network. Though to be honest as great as wireless is, I'm going to be wiring the house to just have RJ-45 jacks in every room and be done with it.

Thunder
09-14-2008, 05:39 AM
For the apartment I'm in, they won't let me use any of the phone jacks, so I have this white box for phone. Yes, the Internet connection does travel thru this white box, but the white box does not act as a modem for the Internet. It is just a connection pass-thru.

The cable runs from the wall and split, one to the DVR and the other to the white box. Another cable runs from the DVR to the TV. Another cable runs from the white box to the modem, then to the computer.

I have a Linksys wireless capable router connected to the modem.

From reading your post, you're wanting to add a router, so it is simple. Leave all the settings/setups alone. Just plug in the router into the cable modem (the black box).

I also bought from Best Buy and installed a Motorolla signal booster that boosts up the signal strength.

Bobby821
09-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Cox NO LONGER supports and will NO LONGER install the phone boxes outside. EVERYONE who now adds this service or makes any modifications to the phone service will be transitioned to the new modem/phone hybrid box.

That's the way it is and its not going to change. Like stated above...its not a VOIP line, but running over their digital signal like it did before. I run the Cox phone line in addition to another VOIP line I use for business. Never had an issue with it.

You want a regular land line, go with AT&T.

So back to the original poster's question. You will need to have the new combo box plugged in somewhere to have phone service. Your best bet would be to have a wireless router attached to the cable modem box to handle your internal network. Though to be honest as great as wireless is, I'm going to be wiring the house to just have RJ-45 jacks in every room and be done with it.

I called Cox this morning to ask about this and the rep said it was not a mandatory thing you can still have the box installed on the back of the house like always if you choose.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I also bought from Best Buy and installed a Motorolla signal booster that boosts up the signal strength.

A cable booster or a wireless booster?

Thunder
09-14-2008, 12:48 PM
A cable booster or a wireless booster?

Cable, for the line. Who knows how many feet of cable going around the complex. It helps me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh...I'm kinda looking to boost my wireless signal.

Thunder
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
My cousin lives in a rented trailer home at a trailer park. He is getting free Internet from the landlord via wireless across the park complex. He has a signal booster at the end of the trailer home and a regular wireless reception for the computer. You can easily find these at any stores.