View Full Version : dog- friendly places

tburn
09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
My husband and I like to take our dog with us on weekends - to run errands, walk at the park, have lunch.

We have found a few places with a patio that are okay with her hanging out and sitting under the table while we eat.

How do most of you feel about restaurants being pet-friendly?
I spend vacations in Austin and see pets with people everywhere ...
we are trying to socialize our girl (to people & other animals) as much as possible - trips to petsmart, introductions to dogs on walks, eventually a dog park (we are working up to that and hoping to find a day/time that is not over crowded)

she is a street rescue from last summer so she has some shy issues and we hope socializing to other humans and eventually animals will help.

I wonder if other people are un-nerved by pets being allowed on a restaurant patio.

bornhere
09-08-2008, 04:11 PM
A couple of places I go are pet-friendly. I have no qualms about it.

Correction: I have a qualms when someone deliberately brings an aggressive dog along. I've only seen that happen a couple of times, though.

OKCMallen
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I wish, wish WISH more were pet friendly. I would love to be able to take my little guy like I can to a couple of places in Dallas.

sweetdaisy
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
tburn, I completely agree with you! I'd love to have more places to take my dog that are pet-friendly for the exact same reasons as you. My girl is getting better, but she's so shy sometimes and I want to get her out and about so badly.

If you hear about anywhere else that's okay with dogs, please post. Dog parks are a little out of her league right now.

I have heard that the Starbuck's at Memorial and Penn is okay about dogs in the patio area.

dalelakin
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Restaurants are no place for a dog IMO. Tame well mannered whatever there just is no reason to have a dog at a restaurant.

FritterGirl
09-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Oklahoma City is still not very dog-friendly when compared to more metropolitan cities in the US, and especially when compared to Europe, especially France, where dogs are welcome just about everywhere. Of course, there is also a reason why people are always looking down at the sidewalk when they walk, and it's not because they are being rude.

Of course, once again, a lot of this has to do with our largely "suburban" environment. People aren't accustomed to seeing them at even sidewalk cafes, so there's still a lot of negative reaction to it.

A few patios I've taken my pooches to include:

Sauced (in the Paseo)
Deep Deuce Grill (patio only)

I believe someone in Norman just recently opened up her own Pet Cafe, so that helps, too.

Whatever you do, take your own dog stuff with you - including water bowl, treats and plastic bags to clean up.

I've already noticed that while many of our downtown residents are very good about cleaning up after their dogs, there are some (and yes I see them regularly), who choose just to let it go! One of these days I'm going to say something.

sweetdaisy
09-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Restaurants are no place for a dog IMO. Tame well mannered whatever there just is no reason to have a dog at a restaurant.

To many people, their pets are part of their family and they want to be able to take their dogs with them when they go places.

I'd rather have a bunch of dogs in a restaurant than screaming children. At least the dog won't throw food. :)

Bobby821
09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
To many people, their pets are part of their family and they want to be able to take their dogs with them when they go places.

I'd rather have a bunch of dogs in a restaurant than screaming children. At least the dog won't throw food. :)

Have you experienced food throwing by kids in a restaurant or just being silly?

tburn
09-09-2008, 01:35 PM
I would not suggest bringing a dog inside a restaurant, but I think a casual patio and a well behaved dog is nice!

Screaming children will quell my appetite every time.

Sauced & Deep Deuce are 2 we have gone as well.
once at Flips when it wasn't crowded, and Mamasita's too!

this is all with the assumption that the dog is clean and pest free and not a nuisance! I would be annoyed by a whiner or yapper.

jsibelius
09-09-2008, 01:38 PM

I don't know about that...my dog throws food at me all the time. She has extremely poor manners. We can't take her anywhere, even if it was permissible. Even so, it would be nice to be able to eat better than fast food or takeout when we travel with our dogs. I'm hoping someday when we no longer have our Jack Russell, we might be able to show our faces in public again and maybe, just maybe, we can take our more civilized Schnauzer out to a restaurant patio and actually get to enjoy our meals while we travel.

sweetdaisy
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know about that...my dog throws food at me all the time. She has extremely poor manners.

Oh wow. That's just sad. Point taken. :)

I would not suggest bringing a dog inside a restaurant, but I think a casual patio and a well behaved dog is nice!

And yes, not IN the restaurant, but definately on a casual patio. Ohhh...sounds lovely.

If I recall correctly, Louie's Lakeside will allow dogs on their patio, too.

CCOKC
09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
When I lived in Idaho we had at least 2 dogs (including mine) at work every day.
It was supposed to be a very dog friendly town but they had no dog parks. I was told to take Molly to the foothills, it's one big dog park. If I let my dog go with no boundaries, I would never see her. People took their dogs with them a lot but I still did not see dogs inside public buildings unless it was Petsmart, etc. same as here. Whenever I take Molly to the dog park at Hefner, I try to swing over to the Dog Bakery on May. They welcome dogs.

tburn
09-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Whenever I take Molly to the dog park at Hefner, I try to swing over to the Dog Bakery on May. They welcome dogs.

CCOKC
tell more about the dog bakery on May!

name? location?
high quality treats?

tburn
09-10-2008, 08:26 AM
found it.
Barking Dog Bakery
7710 N May

barkingdogbakeryokc dot com

the website idoesn't have much info, is still in the works ...
Looks like they do birthday cakes, did you notice healthy treats too?

CCOKC
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner but I have a tax deadline Monday and am totally swamped. Anyway, the owner of the dog bakery is totally into healthy for dogs. The treats she makes herself in house. My dog who passed away last year loved the Snickerpoodles the best. My current dog doesn't care for the cookies too much but if you bring your dog the owner will give you free trials to see which ones your dog prefers. My dog loves the pig cheek chews. These are wonderful and she sometimes has a hard time keeping these in stock. She also carries the big bags of Hip Action. Anybody with large dogs knows what these are all about. These chews extended my dog's quality of life for a few years.
Hope this info helps.

dismayed
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes there's a place in Norman called the Pet Cafe. It is connected to a Java Dave's. The back part of the store has all kinds of animal food, treats, toys, etc. The front part of the place is a little cafe. There are tables that have little dog-food holders built into the base. They will bring you both a human and a dog menu and you and your dog can both enjoy a treat there. It's kind of a cool idea.

OKCMallen
09-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Dogs should never be IN a restaurant. I'm thinking more out on a patio having beers.

jsibelius
09-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Dogs should never be IN a restaurant. I'm thinking more out on a patio having beers.

I've seen plenty of dogs out on the patios having beers. But you're talking about the hairy, barking variety, right? http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/r/rofl.gif

sweetdaisy
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I've seen plenty of dogs out on the patios having beers. But you're talking about the hairy, barking variety, right? http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/r/rofl.gif
:lol2:

nice job.

kevinpate
09-13-2008, 08:15 PM
I think too much of my pets to subject any of them to some of the inane sots who are incapable of just having a nice evening in public.