View Full Version : Allegiant Air doing well

Patrick
12-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Great news for air travel in our city! The direct flights between OKC and Vegas are a hit!

-------
"Allegiant Air to serve OKC for another year
by Brian Brus
The Journal Record
12/28/2004

An airline service focusing only on direct flights to and from Las Vegas has received approval by the Oklahoma City Airport Trust to offer service out of Will Rogers World Airport for another year.
"We're doing pretty well and definitely want to continue in the market," said Allegiant Air spokeswoman Tyri Squyres. "We knew Oklahoma City would be a good investment because there's such a love affair between Oklahoma City and Vegas. I don't know if it's part of the culture or just some natural affinity for wanting to go to Vegas. But it's working out for us."

The airline service, which took off out of Oklahoma City for the first time at the end of October, has what Squyres called a "very unique strategy which, unlike so many other airlines in the industry, is doing very well." Allegiant offers ticketless, one-way fares from 14 major cities to Las Vegas, usually a morning flight with the option for a return night flight. Cities include Fresno, Calif.; Colorado Springs, Colo.; and Madison, Wis. Allegiant's westernmost stop is Lansing, Mich.

Airport spokeswoman Karen Carney said Allegiant is a non-signatory airline, requiring operating and lease agreements with the airport each year. The airline operates as a regular, scheduled carrier out of Will Rogers. But with only one takeoff and landing per day on Sunday, Monday, Thursday and Friday, the company had to enter into an agreement with Frontier Airlines to use its ticket counter space and gate area, she said.

"Of course we hope, and we believe it's their intention as an airline, that they will eventually lease their own counter and gate here," Carney said.

"They seem to be doing pretty well," Carney said. "We're excited about the fact that they're serving a market that is very important to our community, that they're providing nonstop service to that city."

Las Vegas is the seventh-most popular destination for travelers from Oklahoma City, she said. "So that's one of the reasons I think Allegiant was attracted to this market."

Angie Hendricks, president of Bentley Hedges Travel, said Allegiant seems to be off to a good start, but the company needs to develop a record of reliability before the travel agency makes it one of its first references for customer bookings. Bentley Hedges is uncertain of the company's long-term viability, she said.

"TransMeridian (Airlines) made a big splash when it came to town, and then pulled out of here right away," Hendricks said. TransMeridian also focused its service direct flights in and out of Las Vegas. It canceled service just two months after opening in February, citing low passenger numbers.

"We just don't know what to think of them for the long-term yet," Hendricks said. "But we wish them the best of success."

In early December, Allegiant likewise announced it was closing its Redding, Calif., gate for the same reasons, Allegiant Chief Executive Maurice J. Gallagher said.

"Unfortunately, the market response for the nonstop service between Redding and Las Vegas was not as we had anticipated," Gallagher said in a prepared statement. "We would not take this action if we had not exhausted every resource to make it successful."

Carney said Champion Air has operated successfully out of Oklahoma City for several years as a Vegas destination charter service for MLT Vacations. However, Champion also offers other leisure destination packages as the seasons change.

Allegiant, Carney said, "is working toward becoming a scheduled carrier with expanded routes. Now whether that's in two years or 20 years, we don't know. It's always a challenge for a new carrier to not expand too quickly, and pick up routes that will be profitable."

Squyres would not discuss company figures other than to say flights to and from Oklahoma City have been running at 70 percent capacity.

The company is looking to add Orlando as a second destination, to be operated in much the same way as Las Vegas, she said."

mranderson
12-28-2004, 06:02 AM
I am glad to hear this. It is really a shame that Trans Meridian did not give Oklahoma City a fair chance. I bet they would have beem succesful as well.

I wish Allegiant would add two more round trips a day and expand to seven days a week, as well as add more cities. We could be their central hub.

HOT ROD
12-28-2004, 02:00 PM
I am glad to hear this. It is really a shame that Trans Meridian did not give Oklahoma City a fair chance. I bet they would have beem succesful as well.

I wish Allegiant would add two more round trips a day and expand to seven days a week, as well as add more cities. We could be their central hub.

I agree. We could totally become Allegient's central hub, especially if they can undercut the major airlines in capital costs and expenditures.

And, I am also very glad to hear that Allegient is looking at adding Nonstop Orlando service to OKC. That route should do well, as well. :)

HOT ROD
12-28-2004, 02:02 PM
http://www.allegiantair.com/

Oklahoma City is the biggest city on Allegiant's route structure!

Luke
12-28-2004, 02:22 PM
They have some excellent packages for Vegas. About a month ago I was looking to go to Vegas over Christmas break (ended up not going). It would have been around $180 for airfare, and 4 days, 3 nights at a hotel. That's a great deal!

HOT ROD
12-28-2004, 02:32 PM
WOW, sure is!!!

Patrick
12-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Transmeridian Air would've survived if their flights schedule would've been more conducive to a normal human being!