View Full Version : OU opens new art museum

Patrick
12-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Well, OU has finally completed the addition to its art museum. I can't wait to see it!

--------------
"OU to unveil its new art museum
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004
OKCBusiness NewsWire

The University of Oklahoma will open its new facility, the Mary and Howard Lester Wing of the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, Jan. 21, 2005. The wing provides 34,000 square feet of space and much of it is dedicated to recently acquired paintings by Claude Monet, Camille Pissaro, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Pierce Bonnard and others.

“There is no question that this museum has one of the best university collections, public or private, in the United States,” museum director Eric Lee said. “People from around the country already travel to this region to see the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas and many others in this region.

“I believe that with our new building, we are going to give visitors a remarkable encounter with great art and great architecture, which is going to add the university’s museum to this cultural itinerary.”

Over the past 10 years, OU has invested more than $700 million in campus construction projects. The new Mary and Howard Lester Wing was built at an estimated cost of $14 million. The wing is a suite of nine identically-sized pavilions, organized in a square and linked to one another by corridors of limestone and unframed glass. This scheme provides residential-scale galleries for the artworks, while establishing a continual visual interplay between interior and exterior spaces.

The ground floor of the wing features galleries dedicated to the Weitzenhoffer Collection, American art, Asian art and a select number of works of African sculpture."

mranderson
12-28-2004, 10:44 AM
I just wonder what the demand really is in Oklahoma City for "fine art."

Personally, I rarely see a piece that I would pay to see.

Luke
12-28-2004, 11:02 AM
I look forward to checking this place out.

Patrick
12-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I think if we had more quality art museums, it may very well give OKC a more upscale feel, similar to Tulsa! We'd also have more options of different artwork to see.

floater
01-03-2005, 05:19 AM
It's fantastic the way OU has taken this gift and made it into a real showcase. The thing is, the value isn't so much in the tourism dollars as it is in local appreciation of art. Exposure to works like these reminds us there's a world of thought outside of what's in our own backyards. And I think it's good for central Oklahoma to develop a culture quotient outside the terrific legacies of Tulsa and Bartlesville.

ClipedWingAngel
01-03-2005, 08:17 AM
As a fine artist, I know the demand is here for a Fine Art. It only adds to the appeal of OKC. In bringing this new venue we can attract Conventions and perhaps some day have a large arts festival to rival all. OKC has the ambiance and although many artist like New Mexico for the space and weather, we need to give them a run for the money!!!!! we are very similar in climate, just our people are much nicer!!! Many of the people who have joined this forum because of me, were attracted to the gallery. Lets keep promoting self expression and artistic views. Going on two local trips this month to capture more OK and New York and Madrid in March. Edward Weston, Alfred Eisensadt, Ansel Adams watch out!