View Full Version : Skydance Bridge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

bchris02
03-01-2015, 09:34 AM
I think its part of a common mentality here that something has to be familiar to be worthwhile. A lot of people really just want OKC to have what they have seen somewhere else to validate its place in the world. It's interesting because it seems to me it's often people from outside the community that appreciate our unique attributes, while many locals have contempt for them.

I have not seen anybody criticize the uniqueness of this bridge. What people have criticized is the fact that what was built is a scaled down version of the original proposal. Only people who read OKCTalk or follow development here know that.

BDP
03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
I have not seen anybody criticize the uniqueness of this bridge.

Oh, I should have checked with you first. Sorry.

Mississippi Blues
03-01-2015, 10:14 AM
I have not seen anybody criticize the uniqueness of this bridge. What people have criticized is the fact that what was built is a scaled down version of the original proposal. Only people who read OKCTalk or follow development here know that.

When you say you haven't heard anyone criticize the uniqueness of the bridge, what exactly do you mean by uniqueness? I've heard multiple people criticize the design of the structure itself and they have no idea of the original design or that OKCTalk even exists. Personally, I do really like it, borderline love it, but when talking about it with others I find myself as one of the few people that actually likes it.

bchris02
03-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Sorry, I was just saying that I haven't heard anybody criticize this bridge because its not like something that is somewhere else. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. The primary criticism seems to come from people who knew what the original proposal was and are disappointed that it was scaled down. People from out of state don't know about that so they appreciate what is.

bchris02
03-01-2015, 10:23 AM
When you say you haven't heard anyone criticize the uniqueness of the bridge, what exactly do you mean by uniqueness? I've heard multiple people criticize the design of the structure itself and they have no idea of the original design or that OKCTalk even exists. Personally, I do really like it, borderline love it, but when talking about it with others I find myself as one of the few people that actually likes it.

I love the bridge as well. Most people I talk to on a regular basis also do, with the exception of people like my family who are ultra-conservative and consider all public art to be a waste of money. It's sad there are so many people who hate it if that is indeed the case. I really think this bridge will become an iconic symbol of OKC as the years pass especially once it connects into the Central Park.

Mississippi Blues
03-01-2015, 10:34 AM
nm

Mississippi Blues
03-01-2015, 10:54 AM
I love the bridge as well. Most people I talk to on a regular basis also do, with the exception of people like my family who are ultra-conservative and consider all public art to be a waste of money. It's sad there are so many people who hate it if that is indeed the case. I really think this bridge will become an iconic symbol of OKC as the years pass especially once it connects into the Central Park.

I've also had my fair share of conversations with those that dislike the extra money being spent towards public art. I know not everyone is going to agree with my personal views, but the public art is what adds to the character and interest of other cities to me. I agree that once it connects into the Central Park, it will become even more recognized.

Urbanized
03-01-2015, 11:22 AM
If EVERYBODY loves it...it ain't art.

Mississippi Blues
03-01-2015, 11:25 AM
If EVERYBODY loves it...it ain't art.

Haha, true. I guess we're all just little individual pieces of art.

Anonymous.
03-01-2015, 12:07 PM
The entirety of this thread is the same conversation every 6 months. Good stuff.

adaniel
03-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Bingo.

It is what it is at this point. You're entitled to your opinion but the bridge is not changing. Maybe I was being naive when I posted what I thought was a positive article on this.

I've heard the same complaints about the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge here in Dallas, even though it is a more conservative design. Although the fact that it was way over budget probably adds to the level of contempt. So maybe its a good thing that, as PluPan put, we "cheaped out."

In any event, its become an iconic structure for OKC, whether some people like the design or not is besides the point. IMO its a monument to the "new OKC", which is a concept some will hate no matter what.

Plutonic Panda
03-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Oh man, I thought maybe if a bitched enough about it on here maybe I'd wake up and it'd change. Are telling me that is not the case?

MikeLucky
03-01-2015, 09:02 PM
I agree. The suspension bridge would have been amazing. Another cheap out is the story here.

it amazes me there are people like you defending this sh!t. Go ahead and settle for mediocre and cheap. It's something this city is great at and made possible by people who give the city a free pass.

Yes, in light of this, I'm calling the city backwards and cheap. Actually, I think it's ODOT.

I'm not trying to appear smart or critical. I want what's best for this city. The original bridge had me very excited. Now we have what we have. I don't like it and think we cheaper out.

Cool. We have a pistol in our arsenal. I'd rather have a boozuka. But we have the Skydance Bridge.

Oh man, I thought maybe if a bitched enough about it on here maybe I'd wake up and it'd change. Are telling me that is not the case?

The more you post, the more you sound like a teenager. Seriously. You have a lot of life to live still sparky...

Plutonic Panda
03-01-2015, 09:29 PM
I understand.

betts
03-02-2015, 05:25 PM

I was one of the disappointed, and the bridge still looks slightly awkward to me without suspension. But I too like/borderline love it. I'm glad we have it and agree that very few people know what it was supposed to look like, which is a good thing!

White Peacock
03-02-2015, 06:15 PM
I was one of the disappointed, and the bridge still looks slightly awkward to me without suspension. But I too like/borderline love it. I'm glad we have it and agree that very few people know what it was supposed to look like, which is a good thing!

Same here; it's disappointing considering what was originally planned, but I guess it's ok. Definitely unique, but I can't help but see a few broken construction cranes welded together and outfitted with stage lights. It gets OKer every time I drive by it, I suppose.

Just the facts
03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't know how anyone can say the original design wasn't better.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/coretoshore/9_8_08_03.jpg

Rover
03-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Yes, adding the cables would make it different than all those others with cables. It would make it look like a scissor-tail flycatcher caught in a spiderweb...and nothing looks better than that or says Oklahoma more.

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Yeah. Another missed opportunity is I wished they either didn't build the new I-40 at all here or buried it. I can not for the life of me figure out why they didn't cap it when other cities are spending bukoos of money fapping existing ones and we built a new one and didn't cap it. :/

Rover
03-02-2015, 08:54 PM
What I love about this thread (and most on here) is that anytime someone outside of OKC gives us a complement or puts something we did on a "best of" list, there are the usual suspects who flood the site to convince everyone that OKC messed it up as usual. Pretty predictable, and sad.

Tigerguy
03-02-2015, 08:57 PM
I don't know how anyone can say the original design wasn't better.

Easy. People have opinions, and they may vary from person to person. As a side note, the original is reminiscent of the Bunker Hill Bridge in Boston:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/Leonard_P._Zakim_Bunker_Hill_Bridge_-_Boston%2C_MA_crop.jpg/300px-Leonard_P._Zakim_Bunker_Hill_Bridge_-_Boston%2C_MA_crop.jpg

other cities are spending bukoos of money fapping

They're doing what, now? :eek:

As another side note, I might see it somewhere down the line, but I don't see the city spending a bundle of dollars on that just yet.

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2015, 08:59 PM
I don't know why you're saying that. First off, I'm not even blaming OKC. I'm blaming ODOT. I think they were responsible for the bridge and they designed the highway wrong. I just looked at a map and realized something... We spent all this money to dam the river up and make it nice only to have a 10 lane highway right up next to it. Think of how awesome we could make the river of they removed the highway and tied I40 into 240 and let the river develop. Yet we have a huge swath of cement in a place most other cities would probably remove at this point. Dallas is making the same mistake with the Trinity River.

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Quite frankly they could remove I40 through Midwest city and I35 and instead of having two highways the could have one that essentially turns I240 into a loop around part of the city and connects to I44. So if you're on I40 and want to go downtown, you will south on the existing I240 and hit I35 and if you want to go north you take a spur to i44 and then hit i35 north. It's faster and removes two unneeded highways.

I'm not sure if that makes sense at all, but it would essentially create a new highway wrapping around the east part of the county and removing two existing ones.

ljbab728
03-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Quite frankly they could remove I40 through Midwest city and I35 and instead of having two highways the could have one that essentially turns I240 into a loop around part of the city and connects to I44. So if you're on I40 and want to go downtown, you will south on the existing I240 and hit I35 and if you want to go north you take a spur to i44 and then hit i35 north. It's faster and removes two unneeded highways.

I'm not sure if that makes sense at all, but it would essentially create a new highway wrapping around the east part of the county and removing two existing ones.

plupan, it sounds like Kerry is getting through to you. He has been saying things like that forever. LOL

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2015, 09:42 PM
plupan, it sounds like Kerry is getting through to you. He has been saying things like that forever. LOL
I still plan on turning I-35 into a 30 lane mega highway. We need to show Houston who can build wider highways! ;)

Plutonic Panda
03-02-2015, 09:52 PM
They're doing what, now? :eek:

As another side note, I might see it somewhere down the line, but I don't see the city spending a bundle of dollars on that just yet.oops... I meant capping! :p

jccouger
03-03-2015, 04:21 AM
Yeah. Another missed opportunity is I wished they either didn't build the new I-40 at all here or buried it. I can not for the life of me figure out why they didn't cap it when other cities are spending bukoos of money fapping existing ones and we built a new one and didn't cap it. :/

I usually save a TON of money by fapping. No dates, no expensive jewelry. Just good old free internet...

sorry TMI

Bullbear
03-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Oh I definately preferred the origional design. and wished they would have included the cables even if they were not functional as a Suspension bridge. But I wont dwell on it and think the current bridge is still very iconic and beautiful.

Motley
03-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Having not heard of the bridge until I drove along I-40 one day a few years back just to see how the freeway had been re-routed, I thought it fantastic. We saw it in the distance and wondered what the heck it was until we got a better view of it. Then, it became clear that it was a massive sculpture looming over the freeway. Maybe it could have been built differently, but it is a great piece, and I absolutely see it as a unique and fitting image for OKC.

jn1780
03-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Besides maybe not looking as nice to some people, What would the engineering benefits be for having a suspension bridge? If it was possible to build a steel girder bridge over a large span of water, I bet every city would be doing it. They are much cheaper than suspension bridge. Looking nice or "cool" is very secondary to the main reason suspensions bridges are built in the first place.

Bullbear
03-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Besides maybe not looking as nice to some people, What would the engineering benefits be for having a suspension bridge? If it was possible to build a steel girder bridge over a large span of water, I bet every city would be doing it. They are much cheaper than suspension bridge. Looking nice or "cool" is very secondary to the main reason suspensions bridges are built in the first place.

this is not just a bridge however. it is not only functional it was built also to be Iconic and look cool.. so the benefits I am speaking of in terms of the suspension cables is that I believe it looked better with them than without them. we are purely talking about looks not function or at least I am. but I am pleased with the way it looks.

traxx
03-05-2015, 11:12 AM

I think capping DT I-40 would be a mistake. I also don't think it should've been built below grade. We're OKC. We're not Dallas or Chicago or Boston. We have to sell ourselves to travelers. An at grade I-40, where people passing through could see OKC and what all is going on downtown would help in that aspect. We need to show off the city, not hide it.

We don't want to take people passing through our city and stick them in a tunnel before they can see what (hopefully) the Wheeler District is and miss all of downtown and then spit them out right at or after the boat house district. That's essentially hiding all the best things about downtown from them and giving them no reason to stop.

Plutonic Panda
03-05-2015, 11:46 AM
I think a tunnel would be pretty impressive. Especially one that wide. If done and made nice, it might cause people to get off and see downtown for themselves. I would also create a gap in the fal where the Slybridge be so it would be exposed and visible to bypassers on the freeway.

bombermwc
03-06-2015, 07:38 AM
What would a tunnel get you? You cant build a structure over it unless you go VERY deep. We have no reason to do that here and the cost of it would be astronomical...just check out the Big Dig and what a flop it ended up being. Not to mention that after 15 years, when it's time to add a lane, it's FAR more complicated.

And you say, a tunnel that wide...it would actually be two smaller tunnels, one for each side. And if youre in a tunnel, why would you be any more/less likely to exit to go downtown. 99% of the traffic is commuter.

And tossing I-40/I-35.....all I can say is, facepalm.

Bullbear
03-06-2015, 08:44 AM
yah Im super confused as to why a tunnel would ever make you want to stop and see downtown for yourself.. if I am driving through a tunnel that to me says " keep going nothing to see here "

CuatrodeMayo
03-06-2015, 09:41 AM
A cap over I-40 could have gone a long ways in tying to north and south portion of the park together. But rather than burying the highway, the cap could have taken the form of a kite hill.

http://theambershow.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kite-hill-theambershow.jpg

Plutonic Panda
03-06-2015, 09:43 AM
yah Im super confused as to why a tunnel would ever make you want to stop and see downtown for yourself.. if I am driving through a tunnel that to me says " keep going nothing to see here "
I'll explain my thinking behind it a little later.

TheTravellers
10-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Drove under it with my aunts from out of town (one from Seattle, one from Kentucky) at night last week and it wasn't lit up. Probably been discussed before, but why the hell isn't it lit every single night? SMH....

shawnw
10-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Planned/Announced maintenance. Seems overdue for completion, but still.
http://www.okc.gov/news/2015_09/Oklahoma_City_SkyDance_Bridge_to_receive_maintenan ce.html

ljbab728
10-27-2015, 09:17 PM
It was definitely illuminated tonight.

Snowman
10-27-2015, 09:43 PM
I wonder what time they set it to start at and if that start time is periodically change it manually, use a sensor to check for darkness or if they use a computer to estimate the proper time for that day of year. The last few weeks the sunset has been getting noticeably earlier, if they update the start time manually there could easily creep in a gap between twilight/darkness and the start time.

MagzOK
10-28-2015, 04:16 AM
What would a tunnel get you? You cant build a structure over it unless you go VERY deep. We have no reason to do that here and the cost of it would be astronomical...just check out the Big Dig and what a flop it ended up being. Not to mention that after 15 years, when it's time to add a lane, it's FAR more complicated.

And you say, a tunnel that wide...it would actually be two smaller tunnels, one for each side. And if youre in a tunnel, why would you be any more/less likely to exit to go downtown. 99% of the traffic is commuter.

And tossing I-40/I-35.....all I can say is, facepalm.

I'm not an advocate for tunneling I40, but what you're saying is not necessarily true. Check out the Klyde Warren Park in Dallas located over the recently tunneled Woodall Rogers Freeway in downtown Dallas. It's a masterpiece....and it's not deep.

shawnw
10-28-2015, 08:53 AM
Based strictly on my limited observations I'd say it was timer.

TheTravellers
10-28-2015, 11:51 AM
Based strictly on my limited observations I'd say it was timer.

Sad. How much more expensive would a sensor have been, if you take into account the manual setting that a timer must have done by somebody? Probably not that much more, and there wouldn't be a post-it on somebody's desk that says "Joe, go fix the timer, sun's going down earlier now" and a dark sculpture...

Plutonic Panda
06-12-2016, 08:49 PM
The Skydance bridge will be lit up tonight in rainbow colors to support and show love to fallen in Orlando. I am so f'ing proud of my city and state right now! If anyone could get a picture of it would be much appreciated.

jompster
06-12-2016, 09:43 PM
The Skydance bridge will be lit up tonight in rainbow colors to support and show love to fallen in Orlando. I am so f'ing proud of my city and state right now! If anyone could get a picture of it would be much appreciated.

OKCbyTRANSFER
06-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Very nice of the city to follow suit like others, I must say. Very nice indeed.
Now if only the Devon Tower would do the same.

Plutonic Panda
06-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Thank you, Jompster!

HOT ROD
06-12-2016, 10:46 PM
well, it is even better that the bridge is doing it since it is civic and represents all of OKC (vs Devon and the other skyscrapers being private businesses).

Very nice indeed, I have to see what if anything Seattle did. ...

SOONER8693
06-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Let me preface my question with, I don't care one way or the other whether the bridge is lighted a certain way. My question is, who makes the decision to light it a certain way after an event has happened somewhere in the world?

David
06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
Mick was tweeting about it, so I would assume straight from the top.

baralheia
06-13-2016, 09:44 AM
Let me preface my question with, I don't care one way or the other whether the bridge is lighted a certain way. My question is, who makes the decision to light it a certain way after an event has happened somewhere in the world?

The City of Oklahoma City does - specifically, it appears, the Public Works department. The calendar for special lighting dates, as well as the application form for special lighting, are on the City's website under the Public Works department heading.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/public-works/resident-community-resources/skydance-bridge

SOONER8693
06-13-2016, 10:12 AM
The City of Oklahoma City does - specifically, it appears, the Public Works department. The calendar for special lighting dates, as well as the application form for special lighting, are on the City's website under the Public Works department heading.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/public-works/resident-community-resources/skydance-bridge
Thank you.

ShadowStrings
06-13-2016, 12:07 PM
I think it's cool that they did what they did and that they are willing and able to change the color scheme to make a "statement," but wouldn't it be better if they lit different sections of it with different colors and left it static instead of just cycling through the colors one at a time? It might have more of an impact, especially when people take a picture, which would only show the color showing at that moment. This IS possible, isn't it? The colors could even cycle still, as long as you could see all of the colors at once. What I'm saying is I think it would make a bigger statement if the Skydance bridge was lit in rainbow colors (or red, white, and blue, or whatever the occasion is) all at once instead of cycling through. If people are just driving by, they may not realize that it is any different than normal. I'm not criticizing...I'm genuinely curious if this could be done and if others think it would look better.

Or maybe I am wrong, and this is already what they do. The videos I saw last night looked like they were just cycling through the colors. Am I wrong?

MagzOK
06-13-2016, 12:39 PM
It's just never good enough.

AAC2005
06-13-2016, 01:04 PM
It's just never good enough.

I'll bet they can make it do a pirouette when no one's looking...

Seriously though, I didn't know you could fill out an application to have it lit up in specific colors, which is very cool (as long as it promotes the city, its institutions, etc.) but presumably not as a product endorsement or business promotion gimmick doohickey. Has it ever been lit up in Thunder colors?

baralheia
06-13-2016, 01:09 PM
I think it's cool that they did what they did and that they are willing and able to change the color scheme to make a "statement," but wouldn't it be better if they lit different sections of it with different colors and left it static instead of just cycling through the colors one at a time? It might have more of an impact, especially when people take a picture, which would only show the color showing at that moment. This IS possible, isn't it? The colors could even cycle still, as long as you could see all of the colors at once. What I'm saying is I think it would make a bigger statement if the Skydance bridge was lit in rainbow colors (or red, white, and blue, or whatever the occasion is) all at once instead of cycling through. If people are just driving by, they may not realize that it is any different than normal. I'm not criticizing...I'm genuinely curious if this could be done and if others think it would look better.

Or maybe I am wrong, and this is already what they do. The videos I saw last night looked like they were just cycling through the colors. Am I wrong?

I'm sure it's technically possible - the sculpture uses 49 individually-addressable RGB LED fixtures (http://www.colorkinetics.com/showcase/installs/Skydance-Bridge/) for lighting - but the way the light fixtures are arranged, I don't think you'd be able to sharply divide the color. It would also likely require a new lighting program for the controller, as all of the color variations I've seen always follow the same fading pattern. That could take more resources than could be allocated to the project. So it is probably possible, just maybe not feasible to implement.

All in all, I think it is a nice tribute to those affected by the events in Orlando - and it's nice to see OKC standing among the rest of the country in sorrow and shock at this tragedy.

Anonymous.
06-13-2016, 01:12 PM
I know exactly what you are saying, and it can be done. I have no idea why they have it cycling through colors instead of like this:

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/skydance-bridge-okc-james-menzies.jpg

Also want to note, that this is a long-exposure photo so the colors are not exactly like this in constant.

And yes it has been orange and blue for Thunder before. Although, I don't think it is as organized as it could be. It should be orange and blue for the entire playoffs IMO.

Here is a non long-exposured photo of it in Thunder colors:

http://www.abetterlifeokc.com/clientuploads/blog/SkydanceOKC-0390.jpg

shawnw
06-13-2016, 11:41 PM
If you didn't read the link to the bridge page, individual members of the public can also apply for it to be a color on a certain day if that day isn't booked. I've done it. The process works.

Pete
09-21-2018, 02:42 PM
On Tuesday's city council agenda is a vote to approve $750,000 (!!) to replace the deck on Skydance Bridge.

It opened in 2012.

The bridge deck has deteriorated and warped severely in the last couple of
years and replacement of the deck is required. The maintenance bond for the
bridge expired in 2015. Council is requested to approve Project BC-0180D,
Skydance Bridge deck replacement as an Unlisted project; and the allocation
of $10,993.68 in funds from the 2000 General Obligation Bond Authorization,
Proposition 2 – Listed Bridge Funds; an allocation of $4,092.68 in funds from
the 2000 General Obligation Bond Authorization, Proposition 1 - Street
Interest Funds; an allocation of $724,309.95 in funds from the 2007 General
Obligation Bond Authorization, Proposition 1 - Unlisted Street Funds; an
allocation of $1,959.52 in funds from the 2007 General Obligation Bond
Authorization, Proposition 2 - Bridge Interest Funds; and an allocation of