View Full Version : Skydance Bridge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Bullbear
06-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Easy solution, return to the MAIN Thunder Blue color....

Easy solution. .stop being a baby

Bellaboo
06-13-2012, 02:33 PM
If you want a drab looking uniform, then keep it 2 tone...... who wants a drab uniform ?

kevinpate
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Im surprised the longhorn steakhouse restaurant hasn't been attacked yet. Lol

As long as we're off-topic anyway, do we actually have one of these in the metro? I've seen the ads on tv, but do not recall having seen one in the area.

jn1780
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
As long as we're off-topic anyway, do we actually have one of these in the metro? I've seen the ads on tv, but do not recall having seen one in the area.

Yes, on Memorial.

Lauri101
06-13-2012, 03:10 PM
To paraphrase The Hound .... pffft the nation, pffft the team and pffft the coach.

If someone canna wrap their head around it, let's try again.

Blue and orange are Thunder NBA colors
Thunder is a NBA professional sports franchise
Neither this NBA franchise, nor its colors, have any connection to college affiliation, for any college.

Thunder Orange is Thunder Orange.
It is not UT Orange.
It is not OSU Orange.
It is not Norman High Orange
It is not anyone else orange.
It is THUNDER Orange and Thunder Blue.

Rooting for the Thunder, a local NBA professional sports franchise, in no way precludes one from rooting for their favorite college team.
Wearing Thunder colors is not a slap to OU, nor is it a high five to OSU, Norman High, UT or anyone else with orange as a base color.

In short, grow the pfffft up and support who you want at the college level, or the high school level, or even in the NFL, but have the common sense, good grace and dignity to realize the NBA is the NBA, the Thunder is the Thunder and college sports are college sports.

Good gravy.
+1 and then some!

kevinpate
06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks. That explains why I never saw it. I rarely ever end up further north than 50th anymore.

OKCisOK4me
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Amen. Screw the orange.

Awwwww poor baby...

Still reeling from that butt whooping huh?

Get over it. Sheesh!

mrktguy29
06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
The official color of the red-orange is exactly halfway between OU crimson and OSU orange in the color spectrum. Hard to get that kind of detail from a lighting system. Is it possible for people to look past college football? We are hosting the damn NBA Finals, one of the biggest stages in sports, and we have people worried what color is on our bridge?

This....

mrktguy29
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Equal Time for OU folks? WTF? This is the NBA. Lots of teams use the same color schemes, white, orange, red, black, blue. Which also are used by the vast majority of college teams. They are unrelated. Stop fishing.

I am an OU alum. I wore an orange shirt under my blue jersey last night. The thought of OSU didn't even enter my mind. A lot of you people need to grow up, this isn't junior high. The beer pour from the sports animal needs to frequently in this thread.

yessss!

KayneMo
06-13-2012, 06:58 PM
As an OU student, I see a lot of people on campus (myself included) wearing orange Thunder shirts.

CuatrodeMayo
06-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Speaking of bridges...

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/76/76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

Larry OKC
06-14-2012, 07:31 AM
...Im surprised the longhorn steakhouse restaurant hasn't been attacked yet. Lol
Not attacked, but my Dad refused to darken the door because of it

jccouger
06-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Lettuce be real. The OSU fans are the ones that are taking the Thunder colors in the college sports direction. In no way shape or form is the Thunder "orange" even close to the OSU orange, yet at EVERY home game there are idiots who wear that stupid bright orange to the game like its a part of the Thunders colors. NO IT ISN'T. It is Red-Orange so leave your BS "worlds brightest orange" shirts at home and wear the blue shirts they put on the seats. OSU fans are the ones who are just so damn giddy about orange being a Thunder color even though it isn't. Are they color blind?

jccouger
06-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Back on topic (kinda) I'm an OU alum, and even though an OU professor designed this bridge I still consider it hideous.

Larry OKC
06-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Lettuce be real. The OSU fans are the ones that are taking the Thunder colors in the college sports direction. In no way shape or form is the Thunder "orange" even close to the OSU orange, yet at EVERY home game there are idiots who wear that stupid bright orange to the game like its a part of the Thunders colors. NO IT ISN'T. It is Red-Orange so leave your BS "worlds brightest orange" shirts at home and wear the blue shirts they put on the seats. OSU fans are the ones who are just so damn giddy about orange being a Thunder color even though it isn't. Are they color blind?

While true that the official Thunder "orange" is no where near the official OSU orange or the official OU crimson, there are as many shades of those respective colors out there in the marketplace on officially licensed products. My parents have closets full of various OU clothing and to try to fins items that are the same shade of red withought clashing can be a challenge. I am sure OSU fans have the same issue. The problem I have with the Thunder orange is that even tough they said they picked a shade in between the OU & OSU colors (so as not to offend), the color is often perceived as being "orange". In other words, if someone is going to see it as either an OSU or OU thing, I would say 9 times out of 10 they are going to say it is orange (OSU) and not red (OU).

That is why I said what I said about the thread topic/bridge pics, in those picks, the color looks decidedly more red than orange...

DaveSkater
06-14-2012, 09:03 AM
I was skating the area the weekend before mother's day, and I found a BC Clark package at the very foot of the this bridge. Lucky me! Gold is always a nice find!

I can't wait till they actually build the parks that this bridge is to connect. I'll be able to skate from the Downtown YMCA to the Hoffman skatepark without having to fight too much traffic, bums or other hazards.....

kevinpate
06-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Speaking of bridges...

http://cdn.head-fi.org/7/76/76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

:tiphat::tiphat:

OKCisOK4me
06-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Back on topic (kinda) I'm an OU alum, and even though an OU professor designed this bridge I still consider it hideous.

Well at least you're talking about the bridge ;-)

Bullbear
06-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Laughable
the only people i see are OU fans complaining and wanting equal time for red.
OSU orange and Thunder Orange are not the same.. and none of these conversations should even be taking place.
leave your OU/OSU crap out of it.. THUNDER UP

Larry OKC
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Thats my point...go back to Thunder blue and leave the red/orange out of it, then it is a non-issue

dankrutka
06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Let it go. You sound like a child. You're literally fighting about colors. It's embarrassing to mature Sooner fans.

HangryHippo
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Larry, please shut up. You're making OU fans look stupid.

Bellaboo
06-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Thats my point...go back to Thunder blue and leave the red/orange out of it, then it is a non-issue

It's a non issue with the red/orange in it.............Their base colors are road blue and home whites, with some trim colors as accent. It's great the way they are.

Spartan
06-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Larry, please shut up. You're making OU fans look stupid.

Look? :Smiley122

Bullbear
06-14-2012, 05:18 PM
I am a bit surprised I haven't seen shots of the bridge lit up on ABC during the game. Maybe there will be one tonight.
THUNDER UP!

Spartan
06-14-2012, 06:00 PM

How is it hideous? I am disappointed that the suspension cables were taken out of the project, and I think that would have looked incredible included in the same LED light programming. But this is good, I'll take it.

Larry OKC
06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
I agree, while I was disappointed with the changes (no landscaping ON the bridge, no cables and no cladding), it isn't "hideous" really. It just could have been so much better is all (and we were led to believe it was going to be). The first time I saw the proposal...was WOW! But more than one out-of-towner has made the comment wondering if a tornado had come through and they were collapsed construction cranes or oil derricks...and with the erector-setish structure, I can see where they are getting that.

jccouger
06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Because the structure looks like a halfway down construction crane, the "feathers" seems to cover only random pieces of the structure, the wood deck clashes horribly with the metal frame and it only goes over half of the highway creating unbalance. I've had a few people ask me if i knew when the bridge would be finished because it looks like its abotu halfway complete. I'll admit seeing the initial renderings skews my opinion of the bridge we got, because the intial bridge was a thing of beauty. The lighting is kinda cool, but how many people actually get to see it while driving out that late at night?

Bellaboo
06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
I've driven under it day and night, lights on and off. I've walked on it during the day and in the evening with the lights on....... I think it's very cool. Way better than no bridge at all.

In fact, the blue and orange rotating lights are quite stunning.

On the above post, it (the sculpture) is positioned in the center of the highway for a better visual effect other than opposed to spanning the entire bridge and dissapearing on the north side of the road.

jccouger
06-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I agree, this bridge is better than no bridge at all. It is just hard to get over what it couldve been, which is 100x better than what we got. If you've ever actually talked to your friends/acquaintences about this bridge I guarantee AT LEAST 1/2 either don't know what its supposed to be, or think it is ugly. As a lifetime OKC citizen, other than my time spent in Norman attending OU, I don't want to have to explain what the bridge is supposed to be. That was supposed to be the job of the architect/developer.

jccouger
06-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Laughable
the only people i see are OU fans complaining and wanting equal time for red.
OSU orange and Thunder Orange are not the same.. and none of these conversations should even be taking place.
leave your OU/OSU crap out of it.. THUNDER UP

That is because OSU fans are convinced that Thunder orange and OSU orange are one in the same, and I don't blame any OU fan for wanting to correct that.

king183
06-15-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm someone who was initially impressed by the structure. I drive under it and by it at least twice a day. My opinion has changed over the last couple months. I don't think it's nearly as impressive, cool, or even as interesting as I used to. Perhaps when there's more development around it, the bridge will look good. But, right now, it looks out of place, somewhat ugly, uninteresting, and without any clues as to what the hell it's supposed to be/represent.

dankrutka
06-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I drove under it last night and it was very impressive IMHO.

betts
06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
When it's lit, it's very impressive and quite obviously NOT a turned over crane. By day, I think its contemporary style looks odd when contrasted with the almost WPA style of the Crosstown retaining walls and bridges. It looks out of place. I don't care that much, though, as it will eventually serve a purpose and it looks so amazing at night.

Spartan
06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Because the structure looks like a halfway down construction crane, the "feathers" seems to cover only random pieces of the structure, the wood deck clashes horribly with the metal frame and it only goes over half of the highway creating unbalance. I've had a few people ask me if i knew when the bridge would be finished because it looks like its abotu halfway complete. I'll admit seeing the initial renderings skews my opinion of the bridge we got, because the intial bridge was a thing of beauty. The lighting is kinda cool, but how many people actually get to see it while driving out that late at night?

Sigh... you're right. Unfortunately, the bridge design could be a lot better, and we know significant cuts were made. I think deep down we know that what we really like is the lighting, put a pole up with LED lights and we'd probably ooh and aah. That said, I also agree with bellaboo, better this "iconic" bridge happening than no iconic bridge at all.

However I still appreciate it whenever I see it, and I think it can serve well as a cool new addition of urban iconography.

Cooper_GOIVM
06-18-2012, 04:04 PM

BoulderSooner
06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
thanks cooper great pic

Bellaboo
06-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Skydance bridge named a top 50 public arts project.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-skydance-bridge-is-one-of-nations-top-50-public-arts-projects/article/3685592

kevinpate
06-19-2012, 07:05 AM
No real reason for anyone to go to the expense, but I think it would be interesting to see an aerial view evening video of the lights changing on the bridge. By the by, nice image Cooper.

on edit: then again, maybe making that top 50 list is reason enough. Anyone know a reporter at News 9 or one of the other local outlets with a chopper and better than fair optics?

Larry OKC
06-19-2012, 08:00 AM

I like...Has a Borg look to it...Resistance is Futile...

LockeDown42
08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
http://newsok.com/three-arrested-in-skydance-bridge-climb-in-oklahoma-city/article/3701355

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Stopped by there today and snapped a couple of quick shots.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8451/7951389918_50782dab0b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7951389774_8f0d15b1b5_b.jpg

Pete
09-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Very nice!

Are those benches in the first shot?

Love the perspective.

CaptDave
09-07-2012, 04:56 PM
These are my new favorite photographs of the Skydance Bridge. It captures the best of the design. Great job.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Very nice!

Are those benches in the first shot?

Love the perspective.

These are my new favorite photographs of the Skydance Bridge. It captures the best of the design. Great job.

Thanks guys!

And yes Pete, there are a few benches built-in along the bridge (you can barely see them in the other shot too). Very simply designed. One thing I found odd about them though, and it bothered me until I figured it out, is that they're not centered. But then I decided it was so vehicles would have room to traverse the bridge. If they were centered, that wouldn't be possible for anything more than a golf cart.

Anonymous.
09-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Speaking of vehicles and that bridge...

Exactly how close can you get to being on the bridge with a vehicle before you are stopped by what I assume are concrete pillars impeding such?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Not sure about the north end, I didn't look...But if you were willing to drive up stairs, or a grass hill, you could drive right up to it. The steel bollards that keep people from driving on it are removable though.

And Pete, here's another one that shows a bench. With some bonus sunflare! :D

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8445/7952441490_1bc5b567ed_b.jpg

Lafferty Daniel
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Not sure about the north end, I didn't look...But if you were willing to drive up stairs, or a grass hill, you could drive right up to it. The steel bollards that keep people from driving on it are removable though.

And Pete, here's another one that shows a bench. With some bonus sunflare! :D

Does your name have anything to do with the god awful smell downtown? Because if it does, I'm right there with you. Whatever that smell is, it makes me never want to go to downtown/bricktown and when I have to, I'm just dreading that smell as soon as I start driving towards downtown.

Bellaboo
09-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Does your name have anything to do with the god awful smell downtown? Because if it does, I'm right there with you. Whatever that smell is, it makes me never want to go to downtown/bricktown and when I have to, I'm just dreading that smell as soon as I start driving towards downtown.

It's that cotton seed mill............I smell it whenever there is a north breeze while driving by.

Rover
09-10-2012, 01:05 PM
So, it will be gone soon.

Larry OKC
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
How far along are they in relocating the Mill? Are we talking weeks, months, years? I haven't had the "pleasure" of smelling anything bad downtown on the few times I have been (or driving the Crosstown). But I sure do mis the smell of the bread from several years ago (is that where they put the Ford/Peake?)

Bellaboo
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
How far along are they in relocating the Mill? Are we talking weeks, months, years? I haven't had the "pleasure" of smelling anything bad downtown on the few times I have been (or driving the Crosstown). But I sure do mis the smell of the bread from several years ago (is that where they put the Ford/Peake?)

You can get the bread smell up around the bread factory at 21st and Broadway. On just about any week day.

I think a couple of years to relocate, seems some one on this board knows a lot about it.....

Praedura
09-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm not going to lie...

but... lying is so much fun!
;)

Snowman
09-10-2012, 05:19 PM

They said it would take at least five years when they bought the tire plant they are moving to, it has been like one year maybe two. I have not heard anything since.

Though the convention center not being located at that site may slow it's move out.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-10-2012, 06:20 PM

lol...No. Nothing to do with it.

And I never really cared about the smell. Most cities I've lived in have had at least one place that smelled in general. Like the massive Purina plant just north of downtown Denver. Just driving down I-70 on some days would be an exercise in driving while gagging.

Cotton mill aint so bad.

I'd love to get up around inside the mill to get some pictures though.

Anonymous.
09-11-2012, 08:01 PM
What time do the lights come on for this bridge?

Bellaboo
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
What time do the lights come on for this bridge?

I've gone through there in the evening just before dark and they were on, so at least by 8:30 or so....

Anonymous.
09-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Okay thank you.

Praedura
09-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Wow, it's the purple pedestrian bridge:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/7982765518_79050e8164_c_d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aynatt/7982765518/)

photo by Tanya Mattek (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aynatt/)

BoulderSooner
09-14-2012, 08:16 AM
that is a great pic