View Full Version : Skydance Bridge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Urbanized
12-27-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure that's true, as one-color LED lighting is much, much cheaper due not only to the fixtures but also the required controllers.

I've never seen anything but blue on the arena which is fine, but it may be because of limited capabilities.
Could be true. I would want to build in flexibility, but perhaps that wasn't desired by Chesapeake. We'll know eventually. Nevertheless, I like the fixed blue on it compared to the rainbow color-shift, and I think the same effect can at times be applied to other structures; even if it changes day by day. There are tons of creative possibilities beyond the full-spectrum shifting, which has become a little cliche if you ask me.

Doug Loudenback
12-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Here's the embedded video, BDP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFE6SURMc9E

Amazing video by AlonzoAdamsOKC

On Edit: Whoops! I see that you fixed your code. I'll leave this one, too, since it is larger.

BDP
12-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks doug. It kind of fixed itself. I realize now that the YT tags just want the video ID. What's funny is that I went in to try that and it was already changed. I just hit "save changes". Either that or some other admin got it for me.

Pete
12-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Here are some screen captures from that video... The last one shows how it will look from the roadway:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skydance12261.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skydance12262.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skydance12263.jpg

Doug Loudenback
12-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks doug. It kind of fixed itself. I realize now that the YT tags just want the video ID. What's funny is that I went in to try that and it was already changed. I just hit "save changes". Either that or some other admin got it for me.
I've found that the best way to embed YouTube videos is not to use the "YouTube" icon but, instead, use the "video" icon (little green film strip) ... before you do, in YouTube, click the "Share" button and then click the "options" link. Then, select the "long link" checkbox, and then copy the code that will appear. Then, here, click the "video" icon and a box will open ... paste the long code into the box and you're done.

yukong
12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Could be true. I would want to build in flexibility, but perhaps that wasn't desired by Chesapeake. We'll know eventually. Nevertheless, I like the fixed blue on it compared to the rainbow color-shift, and I think the same effect can at times be applied to other structures; even if it changes day by day. There are tons of creative possibilities beyond the full-spectrum shifting, which has become a little cliche if you ask me.

There are at least 2 colors on the Peake. When they were first testing them, I saw both the blue we see now, and there was also green lighting. I was driving west on the crosstown, and the east side was green and the west side was blue. So there may be more colors.

Jchaser405
12-27-2011, 11:16 AM
There are at least 2 colors on the Peake. When they were first testing them, I saw both the blue we see now, and there was also green lighting. I was driving west on the crosstown, and the east side was green and the west side was blue. So there may be more colors.

I've also seen them alternating with red also. there is a setting where a color can race around the top in a circle, its pretty cool!

peanutgallery
12-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Anyone ever thought of how this is going to be affected when the new highway is open and there will be bright night highway lighting? Hope that doesn't spoil the skydance! Certainly they are not going to "dim" the highway lighting just for the skydance bridge.

peanutgallery
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Also, what about the pedestrian BRIDGE itself......what kind of lighting will it have for the pedestrians walking over I 40? Will it be enclosed with some sort of glass? What will keep kids from throwing objects onto traffic? Hopefully this has been carefully addressed........also, prevention of this graffiti problem, especially in that area.

BDP
12-27-2011, 11:57 AM
I've found that the best way to embed YouTube videos is not to use the "YouTube" icon but, instead, use the "video" icon (little green film strip) ... before you do, in YouTube, click the "Share" button and then click the "options" link. Then, select the "long link" checkbox, and then copy the code that will appear. Then, here, click the "video" icon and a box will open ... paste the long code into the box and you're done.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for the tip.

UnFrSaKn
12-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Now that there's a movie trailer for this thing, I really don't have to do any more video of it.

dankrutka
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Also, what about the pedestrian BRIDGE itself......what kind of lighting will it have for the pedestrians walking over I 40? Will it be enclosed with some sort of glass? What will keep kids from throwing objects onto traffic? Hopefully this has been carefully addressed........also, prevention of this graffiti problem, especially in that area.

I hope you're kidding. There is zero way to stop a kid from throwing something into traffic off any bridge anywhere. People worry about the strangest things.

UnFrSaKn
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
That trailer goes to show what actual talented people can do.

Dustin
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM

Don't sell yourself short.

Thunder
12-27-2011, 02:46 PM

You are the most talented photography and videography dude on this forum of all time! We all totally love and adore you. Don't you ever...not now, not ever...put yourself down. If Pete was living in OKC, I'm more than 100% sure that he would be hosting a major party in your honor with you as a special guest star. He would order/pay for a real trophy with certificate for you. Steve Lackmeyer would be there to cover the party and post the story/pix on The Oklahoman and his OKC Central bloggy. Brian Bates would probably be there to film the entire event. What you've done for us was so much more than any certified professionals could ever do.

Of Sound Mind
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
You are the most talented photography and videography dude on this forum of all time! We all totally love and adore you. Don't you ever...not now, not ever...put yourself down. If Pete was living in OKC, I'm more than 100% sure that he would be hosting a major party in your honor with you as a special guest star. He would order/pay for a real trophy with certificate for you. Steve Lackmeyer would be there to cover the party and post the story/pix on The Oklahoman and his OKC Central bloggy. Brian Bates would probably be there to film the entire event. What you've done for us was so much more than any certified professionals could ever do.

Thunder... what are you smokin'?

Nothing against UnFrSaKn, because he surely has provided some great videos, but really...

Martin
12-27-2011, 03:10 PM
deleted another silly flamewar. let's stick to topic, people. -M

MDot
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Thunder... what are you smokin'?

Nothing against UnFrSaKn, because he surely has provided some great videos, but really...

His idea is pretty funny. LOL but Will is a good photographer, just probably not good enough to have Oklahoma City at a stand still for one night (no offense Will). LOL

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Can someone explain the artistic connection of the brilliant flashing colors to the scissor tail flycatcher motif for me?

I didn't think so.

Snowman
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Are any lights going to be placed on the north side of truss bridge for pedestrians? As it is now the south half is extremely well lit and the north side is fairly dark.

Thunder
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Can someone explain the artistic connection of the brilliant flashing colors to the scissor tail flycatcher motif for me?

I didn't think so.

That is just normal with today's society and technology. Everything at night is lit up with numerous lights. OKC is very behind, but we are starting to move forward slowly with Devon Tower and this bridge thingy. I highly doubt that current owners of all other existing skyscrapers will add any exterior lighting to compete with Devon Tower and/or enhance OKC's nightlife, but as we gain a new skyscraper once per 10 years starting now, it will be lit up.

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
That is just normal with today's society and technology. Everything at night is lit up with numerous lights. OKC is very behind, but we are starting to move forward slowly with Devon Tower and this bridge thingy. I highly doubt that current owners of all other existing skyscrapers will add any exterior lighting to compete with Devon Tower and/or enhance OKC's nightlife, but as we gain a new skyscraper once per 10 years starting now, it will be lit up.

Do you think the Statue of Liberty would be *better if it were covered in multi-colored flashing lights?

*pick your own definition of better...more
artistic
symbolic
photogenic
fun to look at
pleasing to the masses

mcca7596
12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6579923435_78ef950f4c_z.jpg

http://[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7158/6579923435_78ef950f4c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtheberto/6579923435/)
City from Above (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtheberto/6579923435/) by Photo The Berto (http://www.flickr.com/people/bobtheberto/), on Flickr

The way the lights look south of the Myriad Gardens, one can almost imagine the way a convention center will look there with the Skydance bridge in the background.

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I wonder if we could synchronize the lights, get the symphony to set up half way between the Crystal Bridge and the Skydance Bridge and play the music from Close Encounters of the Third Kind? You can see the other one from either location.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0

Just the facts
12-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Do you think the Statue of Liberty would be *better if it were covered in multi-colored flashing lights?

*pick your own definition of better...more
artistic
symbolic
photogenic
fun to look at
pleasing to the masses

Are you suggesting they turn off the torch and crown lighting? While not multi-colored and flashing - the lighting enhances the statue.

http://www.buzzle.com/images/travel-destinations/america/statue-of-liberty/statue-of-liberty-torch2.jpg

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Are you suggesting it would be better if they used her as a backdrop for a laser show while they played Proud to Be An American over loudspeakers?

I asked a question first, dadnabit!

dankrutka
12-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Are you suggesting it would be better if they used her as a backdrop for a laser show while they played Proud to Be An American over loudspeakers?

Yes. That's what we all want. You got it.

Snowman
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM

If your talking about the Statue of Liberty, they have done that (ok, I do not remember if it was Proud to be an American or similar patriotic songs it has been a few years since I was in New York)

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 06:04 PM
If your talking about the Statue of Liberty, they have done that

But was it better? How?

Just the facts
12-27-2011, 06:07 PM

Considering that it has happened, yes I do.

NYvDReH7dLs

Every night at Stone Mountain, GA they have a laser light show and music being played over a loud speaker and thousand gather every night to watch it. It is really a pretty good show.

Bi1AmI3W0cs

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Considering that it has happened, yes I do.

Every night at Stone Mountain, GA they have a laser light show and music being played over a loud speaker and thousand gather every night to watch it. It is really a pretty good show.

Been there. Done that.

How is it better? Or back to my original question, can you explain the artistic connection between the flashing lights and the scissor tailed flycatcher motif?

Just the facts
12-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Been there. Done that.

How is it better? Or back to my original question, can you explain the artistic connection between the flashing lights and the scissor tailed flycatcher motif?

Are you asking how is it better seeing lasers and lights on it at night vs not being able to see it at all at night? I think the answer to that is self-evident. As for the second part of your question regarding the flashing lights and scissor tailed flycatcher motif, I don't even see a bird so your guess is as good as mine.

jn1780
12-27-2011, 06:18 PM

I didn't think so.

Yea, the suspension cables and blocky solid structure lit up by spotlight at night were the missing pieces that the average Joe needed to figure out the structure is suppose to be a scissor tail flycatcher. Lol

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Are you asking how is it better seeing lasers and lights on it night vs not being able to see it at all at night? I think the answer to that is self-evident. As for the second part of your question regarding the flashing lights and scissor tailed flycatcher motif, I don't even see a bird so your guess is as good as mine.

On the topic, I can't speak for the artists (and I use the term loosely) my guess and personal interpretation is there is none. It's gratuitous crowd pleasing flash because they could. Nothing wrong with that in many cases. Maybe not even this one depending on why one thinks this was worth doing and what it should (or will) represent. No wrong or right answers, just subjectivity and interpretation.

UnFrSaKn
12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
The bridge video is getting a lot of circulation on my FB, and I never once linked to it. Just seeing it posted around.

Rover
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM

That's a good idea. I actually have attended a laser light show at the great pyramid in Cairo where there was an orchestra and it told the history of Egypt. It was a lot of fun actually.

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 07:07 PM
That's a good idea. I actually have attended a laser light show at the great pyramid in Cairo where there was an orchestra and it told the history of Egypt. It was a lot of fun actually.

I would have liked to have been there when the Grateful Dead played the pyramids in '78.

Doug Loudenback
12-27-2011, 08:33 PM
The bridge video is getting a lot of circulation on my FB, and I never once linked to it. Just seeing it posted around.
Please post a link.

Double Edge
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM

301 views on the youtube video. Mixed reviews on the bridge in the comments thus far. Nope, I'm not one of them.

CuatrodeMayo
12-27-2011, 10:00 PM
pFE6SURMc9E

Beyond cheesy.

ljbab728
12-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Beyond cheesy.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I'm glad you're not our resident cheese expert. LOL

Double Edge
12-28-2011, 06:21 AM
3200 views on the video as of this morning.

architect5311
12-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Beyond cheesy.

Agree...

Rover
12-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Are you guys saying the video is cheesy or the bridge itself?

architect5311
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Are you guys saying the video is cheesy or the bridge itself?

The video here....

BTW, when in the MAPS 3 schedule will the "bird claw" bridge actually connect any development on either side of I-40?

Just the facts
12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Via MAPS III it won't connect anything. Central Park to the north is a joint C2S/MAPS III project but Prominade Park to the south is a C2S project. There is no funding for Prominade Park and it might never happen.

mcca7596
12-28-2011, 09:15 AM
There is no funding for Prominade Park and it might never happen.

Unless you are just implying that it's not going to happen because the funds will inevitably be directed to the convention center, the lower park is still part of the timeline of MAPS III and is intended to be complete in 2021 according to the current timeline.

Pete
12-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Also, the reason this bridge is premature is due to needing to install it as part of the new I-40.

Credit is due to getting out ahead of this and getting it done now, otherwise there would have been more cost and traffic issues.

Just the facts
12-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Also, the reason this bridge is premature is due to needing to install it as part of the new I-40.

Credit is due to getting out ahead of this and getting it done now, otherwise there would have been more cost and traffic issues.

Yes - thanks for adding that comment.

architect5311
12-28-2011, 09:51 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/bridgetoandfromnowherefornow.jpg

Bridge to and from nowhere for now...

Just the facts
12-28-2011, 10:07 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/bridgetoandfromnowherefornow.jpg

True their is no destination at either end yet, but it helps that the bridge itself is an iconic strucutre and work of art - and in essence - is its own destination.

Sheetkeecker
12-28-2011, 10:12 AM
The bridge looks crooked.

Bellaboo
12-28-2011, 10:18 AM
True their is no destination at either end yet, but it helps that the bridge itself is an iconic strucutre and work of art - and in essence - is its own destination.

It is very much so grabbing attention - got an email from a Texas relative that saw it from the highway on their way home and wanted to know all about it, wanted to know if it actually spanned the new highway.

Bellaboo
12-28-2011, 10:19 AM

It's crooked on purpose to avoid the mount for the tail.

Sheetkeecker
12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
It's crooked on purpose to avoid the mount for the tail.

Well--that makes sense right there. Thanks.

MikeLucky
12-28-2011, 11:33 AM

Yeah, it's better to be PROACTIVE and build this now, then to slap up something later when we would NEED to do it...

So, now we're complaining because the city is being prepared as opposed to reactionary... I guess I shouldn't be surprised. lol

Thunder
12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

And one tail is longer than the other as proven in the above picture. :LolLolLol

mcca7596
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
And one tail is longer than the other as proven in the above picture. :LolLolLol

There is only ONE tail; one wing is INTENTIONALLY longer than the other.

Thunder
12-28-2011, 02:44 PM
There is only ONE tail; one wing is INTENTIONALLY longer than the other.

Okay, I meant the wings. :sofa:

jccouger
12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
No, Thunder is correct. The 2 tallest structures represent tails as modeled after the scissor tail.