View Full Version : Skydance Bridge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

OKCisOK4me
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Actually they are shipping it by truck.

As I've now noticed in the picture below (post 780).

But, I was assuming that a truss span is being shipped by rail due to the picture above (post 777). If you can see it beyond the sound wall, you do know what's on the other side of that wall? That's right, UP tracks. Judging by the size of the truss span, if it were any further away, it would be much smaller. It just looked to me as if it was placed on a standard 85' long flatbed railcar.

Larry OKC
11-28-2011, 09:36 PM
It's not as good as it could have been, but was the original design worth an extra $7,000,000.00..............? Compared to what we're going to end up with, probably not.

I have a feeling we'll all be pleasantly surprised when complete.

Ah, but the original design was to have been $7 million LESS...as far as the last part, we'll all know very soon.

Larry OKC
11-28-2011, 09:39 PM
http://www.revolutionaryassistant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Tire_Swing-Cartoon.gif

I thought this was great...gave me a good laugh...maybe some need to get a sense of humor about some things...sometimes you have to laugh at the absurdities since it seems we can't stop them sometimes.

Thundercitizen
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Ha. The graphic has been a standard acquisitions/contracting officer joke for years.

MDot
11-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I thought this was great...gave me a good laugh...maybe some need to get a sense of humor about some things...sometimes you have to laugh at the absurdities since it seems we can't stop them sometimes.

Yes Larry, it is funny but all the complaining over this has gotten on the nerves of the majority of us, if he would've posted this about 3 months ago we would've laughed a lot harder...plus he never says anything uplifting, it's all about how bad everything is and that is really annoying when someone does nothing but complain even if their point is true.

Popsy
11-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Ah, but the original design was to have been $7 million LESS...as far as the last part, we'll all know very soon.

Larry, perhaps I can shed some light about the extra 7 million. 5 million came from the city for the sculpture and 7 million came from the state for the actual bridge, therefore media started calling it a 12 million dollar bridge. Hope this helps.

rcjunkie
11-29-2011, 04:03 AM
"God is in the detail."

The bridge might be good, but it could have been great. Why does that assertion bother you so much?

Anything that's truly great - a building, an album, a device: somebody went to war over the details.

Does it matter? I don't know, probably not. Or maybe it does.

If they had built it as originally planned, DE would still complain it wasn't good enough.

Bellaboo
11-29-2011, 06:22 AM

The first time I saw this joke was in 1985...........I laughed then.

David
11-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Yes Larry, it is funny but all the complaining over this has gotten on the nerves of the majority of us, if he would've posted this about 3 months ago we would've laughed a lot harder...plus he never says anything uplifting, it's all about how bad everything is and that is really annoying when someone does nothing but complain even if their point is true.

The majority of the posters in the thread maybe, but personally speaking the anti-complaining complaining annoys me far more then the original complaints. People have a right to their opinions and no one here other than Pete is the gatekeeper of allowed discussion.

Bellaboo
11-29-2011, 06:52 AM
The majority of the posters in the thread maybe, but personally speaking the anti-complaining complaining annoys me far more then the original complaints. People have a right to their opinions and no one here other than Pete is the gatekeeper of allowed discussion.

Now you're complaining......lol

David
11-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Complaining about the complaining about the complaining though, so I think it's something new at least.

kevinpate
11-29-2011, 06:56 AM
About the complaining about the complaining though, so I think it's something new at least.

Nah, folk round here been complainin' about complain' for years now. Ain't nuttin' new.

MDot
11-29-2011, 11:43 AM

I agree, everyone has a right to their opinion but everyone is saying the same thing it's not like they're saying something constructive that we don't know. And it's ironic because I am disappointed with this just as much as the rest but I'm sick of getting on here everyday and seeing somebody say something others have been saying the past 50 posts, it's all the same thing that's why there's so many "anti-complainers" not because we don't believe in people stating their opinion. Also, all we've seen is the renderings of it, it may turn out absolutely beautiful so at this point complaining is pretty pointless but we'll see how it turns out and then we can cry because of joy or sadness once we've seen it complete and put up which will be here in a week and a half so we don't have to wait long.

Sorry, I know I was really long winded. LOL

dwellsokc
11-29-2011, 01:50 PM
...is MDot really Genghis Duck?

MDot
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
...is MDot really Genghis Duck?

Sure am. =)

Romulack
11-29-2011, 02:45 PM
The new bridge looks real pointy on the ends

Bellaboo
11-29-2011, 04:15 PM
The new bridge looks real pointy on the ends

They both are pointy on the ends.

Larry OKC
11-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Larry, perhaps I can shed some light about the extra 7 million. 5 million came from the city for the sculpture and 7 million came from the state for the actual bridge, therefore media started calling it a 12 million dollar bridge. Hope this helps.

Popsy,

We have two conflicting accounts as to the final cost of the bridge. The Journal Record still has it at $12 million but the Oklahoman has reverted back to the $5 million figure. If thats what you are talking about I think I understand what you are trying to say.

The numbers for the total cost of the bridge (no matter where the money is coming from) has varied widely. The earliest reference I have on it was research from over at Doug's blog that put the cost of the bridge at $3.3 million. It was designed to use local materials to keep the costs within the (by then) $5 million budget. Somewhere along the way the numbers went up to $6+ million. Jumped to the $12 million mark.

ODOT came along and changed everything requiring the changing from the sculpture/cables from being a functional, integral component of the bridge to just a add-on aesthetic. At first the cables were going to stay but then the next day they City said they were being cut from the design completely. One of the reasons cited for the escalation was the "Buy American" clause. Ironic, because it was already designed that way to keep costs within the $5 million budget. Then as part of the redesign the cladding has apparently been dropped completely and we have the erector set looking version. Just thought of this but it is just the opposite of what happened with the signage supports of the relocated I-40. Going from the erector set design that is common to a sleeker looking oil pipe design. For the bridge I liked the sleeker look but for the signage, I prefer the erector set.

If you read the comments over at Newsok.com, there is a lot of confusion over there. Some think it is being built with MAPS 3 money (which is understandable since it connects the northern/southern sections of the MAPS 3 Park). Some are incorrectly saying it is only the City that is funding it. The City's portion of it is coming from 3 previous bond issues. Not entirely clear if the State is actually contributing any money or if ODOT is just channeling Stimulus money it has received from the Feds.

Skyline
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I am certain the answer to my question is somewhere in this thread, but I will ask anyway.

Will bicycles be allowed on the "pedestrian bridge"?

redrunner
11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I am certain the answer to my question is somewhere in this thread, but I will ask anyway.

Will bicycles be allowed on the "pedestrian bridge"?

Yes it's not a rope bridge.

ljbab728
11-30-2011, 11:47 PM

I don't think that was a very appropriate response. Skyline wasn't talking about the design of the bridge being able to support bicycles. He was wanting to know if bicycles would be allowed along with the pedestrians. There are actually some places that allow pedestrians and not bicycles.

rcjunkie
12-01-2011, 02:10 AM

Rude answer, but in today's World, not surprised.

redrunner
12-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Incorrect!!!

I thought it was funny, but in today's hyper-sensitive World, not surprised.

Urban Pioneer
12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I have seen renderings showing both people and bicycles passing each other on the future bridge. I would assume that this part of some sort of bike route from downtown through the park, down to the existing river trails.

Snowman
12-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Plus it is like twenty feet wide and can hold the weight of light trucks so should be room for walking, biking and standing at the same time.

redrunner
12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Plus it is like twenty feet wide and can hold the weight of light trucks so should be room for walking, biking and standing at the same time.

this

jonno
12-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Taken early this afternoon. Looks like the pieces are coming together.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5228/dscf2643.jpg

ljbab728
12-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Incorrect!!!

I thought it was funny, but in today's hyper-sensitive World, not surprised.

redrunner, it might have been funny if you weren't trying to be funny at the expense of another poster.

Bellaboo
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Should be seeing something vertical coming out of the ground pretty soon.

Urban Pioneer
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Was just down there and it appears that they are getting ready to lift the next section of the truss bridge. The masts are still on the ground and the "feathers" are being added. My guess more pieces might go up over the next couple of days.

Bellaboo
12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Was just down there and it appears that they are getting ready to lift the next section of the truss bridge. The masts are still on the ground and the "feathers" are being added. My guess more pieces might go up over the next couple of days.

Seems like the date to have it up was Dec 8. They should be close.

SkyWestOKC
12-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Someone go down and get pics, friend texted me saying they are going vertical right now.

metro
12-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I tried to last night, but construction crews were in my way. I will probably try again today.

swilki
12-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Someone go down and get pics, friend texted me saying they are going vertical right now.

Just drove by on I-40, they are indeed going vertical. Couldn't get the phone out in time without causing a pileup. Hopefully someone will be able to head down there during lunch.

p.s. It looks pretty awesome.

Urban Pioneer
12-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Took your suggestion at lunch. I had to lighten the photo's due to the grayness today.

holm1231
12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Im sorry, but that totally looks bad ass!! with the "feathers" connected so that you can still see the exoskeleton of the body. My only wish is that the bird part of the bridge look as if it is actually doing something to hold up the bridge. I know that it was changed, and I like it, but I was thinking that they would have tied in the bottom part of the wings of the bird into the sides of the skeleton bridge itself. Instead of just mounting them on the concrete platforms in the center of the bridge. On pic 2, you can see what I mean, but don't get me wrong, I like how they got rid of the outside skin and opened up the frame.

jccouger
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Will there still be LED lighting?

Urban Pioneer
12-06-2011, 01:34 PM

Yes. Most of them will be "flood" LED's which will probably look cool coming up through the "feathers". In "Pic #4" I can see conduit junction boxes and conduit for the fixtures to come.

Pete
12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks so much Jeff!

This will definitely be a highlight along that new stretch of road. I've always liked the way the structure straddles the bridge.

jn1780
12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Is the part they have up now freestanding or do they have to hold it up with cranes while the other half is attached.

Bellaboo
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Is the part they have up now freestanding or do they have to hold it up with cranes while the other half is attached.

My guess is that it will free stand after they set the tail.

Pete
12-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Effectively, the structure is a triangle so I'm sure after the tail section is set it will be free-standing; then the top pieces will go on after that.

zuluwarrior0760
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM

There will be so much LED lighting in it, that it will make the Crystal Bridge
look like a cell phone.

If you look closely at photo 4 above, right above the open job box, you
can actually see one of the small LED floodlights already installed and above
the horns on the truck's roof, you can see another one blocked mostly
by the stainless skin panels.....

Urban Pioneer
12-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Lunch time photo's. Note the LED fixtures in the close-up's.

ETL
12-07-2011, 01:20 PM
So when will traffic move over to the new hw? It says on ODOT "early 2012", but I read on here that it would be this month. Anyone know?

OKCisOK4me
12-07-2011, 01:37 PM
The 20th

mcca7596
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
the 20th

Nice.

ETL
12-07-2011, 01:44 PM
very excited! been waiting for this for a while.

MDot
12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
The 20th

It's still hard to believe it's so close. It still feels like it's another year before it opens.

metro
12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
very excited! been waiting for this for a while.

A while? Try 8+ years!!!!!

Urban Pioneer
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Lunch time photo's. Note the LED fixtures in the close-up's.

What do people think about the scale of this sculpture?

mcca7596
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
What do people think about the scale of this sculpture?

I think the scale is quite large compared to the bridge, but I know the sculpture is supposed to be iconic and obviously larger-than-life.

I was also going to say earlier that it looked like the bridge itself is quite narrow for multimodal traffic.

Bellaboo
12-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I think the scale is quite large compared to the bridge, but I know the sculpture is supposed to be iconic and obviously larger-than-life.

I was also going to say earlier that it looked like the bridge itself is quite narrow for multimodal traffic.

If you look in attachment 1069, on the left side, there is a worker standing on the base. He looks small compared to the bridge.

LakeEffect
12-08-2011, 07:10 AM
A while? Try 8+ years!!!!!

Huh? 8+ years?

LakeEffect
12-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Well, it's only for pedestrians/bicycles, so it doesn't need to be too wide.

jn1780
12-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Well, it's only for pedestrians/bicycles, so it doesn't need to be too wide.

Its much wider than it has to be because of the occasional work truck that needs to cross. The whole design change argument was because they had to design it for maintenance vehicles to cross.

LakeEffect
12-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Its much wider than it has to be because of the occasional work truck that needs to cross. The whole design change argument was because they had to design it for maintenance vehicles to cross.

Emergency vehicle and maintenance vehicle access was part of the design from day one. The design changes were due to cost issues and Buy American provisions.

Urban Pioneer
12-08-2011, 08:55 AM
I will try to take more pictures today although they will be uploaded later. Need to upgrade my subscription for more memory space.

If you aren't a member, consider joining OKC TALK formally to help pay for such memory/computer costs.

BoulderSooner
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Emergency vehicle and maintenance vehicle access was part of the design from day one. The design changes were due to cost issues and Buy American provisions.

no they were not .. the cost issues were because the bridge had to support more weight and after the origional design was ajusted it became to expensive and we now have the current plan

ljbab728
12-08-2011, 10:27 PM
I will try to take more pictures today although they will be uploaded later. Need to upgrade my subscription for more memory space.

If you aren't a member, consider joining OKC TALK formally to help pay for such memory/computer costs.

UP, I inquired about that some time ago and was told that no paid memberships are currently offered.