View Full Version : Blackberry Bold

Richard at Remax
09-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know when this is coming out?

I've been getting the run around from the local At&t stores who seem to know nothing about whats going on. It got delayed from its July release and said it will be out late August early September.

RIM makes a Bold BlackBerry debut | Tech news blog - CNET News (http://news.cnet.com/blackberry-bold-debut/)

slick
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm waiting for the same phone. Latest I heard is October 2nd. I hope its sooner, but no later than that, I have been waiting for a while now.

I think AT&T, having issues with its 3G network in certain markets (due to the massive usage from iPhone customers), is delaying releasing this "high profile" phone until some updates to their network are made.

The phone has been released in Canada and some other countries and has been in AT&T's hands for some time now.

A friend of mine works for RIM in Canada. He has been beta testing this phone since June and constantly tells me to "wait for it to release", so I'm waiting :)

MrZ
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Plenty of them available on Ebay. Looks like $500-$900. Ouch

slick
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Looks like AT&T stores will be able to order the Bold on the 24th of this month, and the rumored release date is October 2nd. I bet if they do get them in early, it would be possible to get one sooner than the 2nd.
And the price should be $299 with a 2 year agreement or $499 no contract, so I would just wait for AT&T to get it instead of spending more on ebay for it.

Harvey Hudson
09-18-2008, 10:08 AM
The Blackberry Thunder is what I am really interested in seeing. Touchscreen Blackberry. Hope it also has a qwerty keyboard...

Richard at Remax
09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
the thunder does look cool. but reading into it it looks like verizon has the rights to it for the time being, where att has right to blackberry bold for the first six months or so.

OKC4me
09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I just got a Pearl this week. I should have waited a little longer......

slick
09-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Just an update.

An "internal" document from AT&T was leaked onto the internet and shows some new phones releasing on AT&T. The HTC Fuze (aka HTC Touch Pro) is coming in October along with the Samsung Omnia, both are Windows Mobile based smartphones.

The information on the Bold that was offered on this document wasn't positive, it showed a "TBD November" release.

I personally am getting tired of this, seeing how the phone is released in other countries already. I may just stick with my Curve and skip the Bold altogether, heck, the Javelin might be out by then.

Richard at Remax
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Update

Best Buy outs BlackBerry Bold release date? | Crave, the gadget blog - CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10053784-1.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0)

Midtowner
09-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Apparently the Fuze will be running Windows Mobile OS. That's unfortunate. I'm going to hold out for Android.

OKCMallen
09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Android might be the only thing that could make me buy a new phone since I have a relatively new Curve.

Midtowner
09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Android might be the only thing that could make me buy a new phone since I have a relatively new Curve.

From what I have seen, it's effing sweet.

I think Steve Jobs is going to relive the 1980's with Android playing a starring role as the Mac-killer (iPhone-killer). The similarities are pretty striking -- on the one hand, we have the iPhone which insists on a sole source for all of its software and that Apple get a financial piece of every piece of software sold.

On the other hand, we have Android which is open-source, can be put on damned near anything and customized to do damn near anything.

Luke
09-30-2008, 11:46 AM
From the tech blogs I read, Android is good, but no iPhone killer.

Kinda clunky from what I've read.

Midtowner
09-30-2008, 04:41 PM
If that's the case, then as an open source program, it can be modified into something a little more aesthetically pleasing.

I think what appeals to me is the fact that I wouldn't be trapped in Apple's 'world,' i.e., not subject to the whims of the great Apple gods as to which pieces of software are 'good enough' in their estimation for their end-users.

Also, it helps that a lot of the add on software will be free :)

Richard at Remax
11-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Well the Bold came out today. $550 for the phone just by itself. $299 with a 2 year plan.

Pretty expensive by itself, which is what I will have to do because Im not up for a upgrade til April. Might just wait till hollidays so the price will go down. Hopefully.

slick
11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Actually, its $550 bought outright and $399 with a 2 year agreement PLUS a $100 mail in rebate, making it $299.

I was all excited about the Bold, but the long wait and high price are going to keep me from it. Besides, I probably don't need such a capable phone anyways so I will probably just get an iPhone, lol.