View Full Version : Vote for the new OKC Thunder logo

Pages : [1] 2

metro
09-03-2008, 09:04 PM
KOCO has an online poll, so far it has received an "F" rating. I agree.

Oklahoma City News, Oklahoma News, Weather & Sports, Channel 5 News - KOCO Oklahoma City's Channel 5 (http://www.koco.com)

CrimsonOberon
09-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I considered being nice when I saw that the F ratings outnumbered the others, but I decided to go with honesty.

I love this team. I love them even though we haven't even played a game, yet. But I hate that logo.

This team does not deserve such a bland logo to represent them.

hipsterdoofus
09-03-2008, 09:56 PM
I actually like it better now that I've seen a larger version of it.

venture
09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Majority of the voters of that poll this it is average to terrible....great way to study the market to see what would work.

OKC4me
09-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I gave it a "C". Its average. I like it, but I really think it could have been better. Oh well, its not the worst I've ever seen!

bombermwc
09-04-2008, 08:00 AM
I gave it a C. It's not as bad as everyone says, but it's not great. I think it's pretty similar to what the other NBA teams are doing, but I was hoping for more.

Rover
09-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Most designers and marketing people I know, and I have been in the business a LONG time, like the name and logo. It is not as trendy as some of the public would like, but trendy gets tired looking VERY quickly. This is a good solid design which will get better with age. It will complete nationally in the league and present well.

I doubt many who are voting actually know what it will look like on uniforms, letterheads, advertisements, banners, etc. It is quite a challenge to make a logo which is fitting on all forms of media. This will translate nicely on different scales and in different situations.

Good, solid logo you will appreciate more in 10 years than now.

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I bet we're not using it in 10 years. I voted an F. It's a massive failure.

Rover
09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Massive failure? Somebody is having a bad morning.

BG918
09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I dislike the name Thunder more than the logo. Barons was the best choice. Why not please everyone and go with Thunderbarons??

metro
09-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Most designers and marketing people I know, and I have been in the business a LONG time, like the name and logo. It is not as trendy as some of the public would like, but trendy gets tired looking VERY quickly. This is a good solid design which will get better with age. It will complete nationally in the league and present well.

I doubt many who are voting actually know what it will look like on uniforms, letterheads, advertisements, banners, etc. It is quite a challenge to make a logo which is fitting on all forms of media. This will translate nicely on different scales and in different situations.

Good, solid logo you will appreciate more in 10 years than now.

I disagree. I'm in marketing and PR almost 10 years and several of the people who commented negatively on this board alone are in marketing/PR. It's a HUGE BLUNDER on so many levels. The name is decent IMO, but not the best. The colors, logo, and "hype" or lack thereof and not meeting expectations was a huge disappointment. Yes, we will learn to love our team in time, but think of all the potential we had, we had the chance to learn from 29 (or 30 if you count Seattle) from all their mistakes and successes over the decades and we blew it. They could have created a HUGE PR campaign leading up to the launch and they didn't. Read Clay's quotes from yesterday in today's paper. He didn't think many people would be at the press conference and told his family to stay home as it probably wasn't a big deal. PBC failed to realize and capitalize on the international PR opportunity they had. Let me go dig up Clay's quotes from yesterday from some of his media interviews.

metro
09-04-2008, 08:43 AM
You can vote in the Oklahoman's poll as well:

Poll: Do you like the nickname? | NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/article/3292631)

SouthsideSooner
09-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I was very disappointed with the logo but the more I see it, it's not so bad.

My primary problem with it is the lettering and font in the word Thunder.

I like the name and colors. I really like that flag blue will be the primary color of the uniforms. Various forms of the logo will evolve over time until most will be able to find a version they like.

Rover
09-04-2008, 09:01 AM
There was much discussion and little agreement even on the name. Logo's are even more subjective. I doubt anyone was going to be really, really happy with either unless they were the one to come up with it. Give this logo time. People love controversies and to blow things up. Statements like "massive blunder", "colossal failure", "missed opportunity" are just huge emotional overreactions. The NBA is one of the greatest marketing organizations in the world. They approved and I don't think they would diminish the NBA brand if they thought it was as bad as a few of you all express.

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Most designers and marketing people I know, and I have been in the business a LONG time, like the name and logo. It is not as trendy as some of the public would like, but trendy gets tired looking VERY quickly. This is a good solid design which will get better with age. It will complete nationally in the league and present well....Good, solid logo you will appreciate more in 10 years than now.

Rover said it... I'm 5th generation printer and I've seen many companys' logos come and go and change. Fact is the one's that last are solid, simple designs.

An like Clay said yesterday... there will be more logos and a mascot... take a chill pill everyone!

metro... for someone that hates people posting the same thing over and over you sure have said that you hate the logo in as many threads as possible... ;)

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 09:12 AM
There was much discussion and little agreement even on the name. Logo's are even more subjective. I doubt anyone was going to be really, really happy with either unless they were the one to come up with it. Give this logo time. People love controversies and to blow things up. Statements like "massive blunder", "colossal failure", "missed opportunity" are just huge emotional overreactions. The NBA is one of the greatest marketing organizations in the world. They approved and I don't think they would diminish the NBA brand if they thought it was as bad as a few of you all express.

Are you kidding me?! The sheer fact that about 1/3 think it's a complete FAIL says it was bad. A WIN would be, oh I dunno, a majority of people liking it or living with it?

The backlash alone speaks volumes.

Luke
09-04-2008, 09:12 AM
metro... for someone that hates people posting the same thing over and over you sure have said that you hate the logo in as many threads as possible... ;)

BURRRRN!

;)

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 09:29 AM
I disagree. I'm in marketing and PR almost 10 years and several of the people who commented negatively on this board alone are in marketing/PR.

I think you answered it yourself... "people on this board"

Let me tell you 'bout people on this board..... over zealous... work themselves up for disappointment... and rarely satisfied.

I remember more than once selling a business on some new logo with a new trendy font or color that I worked on... some bit... then after a couple years or sooner went back to a classic simple look. I realized quick that some of my designs weren't bad... just very 1997 etc. Gawd... this is bringing back the memory of this horrid (but not at the time) logo i changed for a dry cleaners... my grandfather told me it wouldn't last... it all makes sense now.

We must be on two sides of the track, metro, because I have a lifetime around printing, design, marketing, etc... and all the opinions I hear are good. The logo may not be their favorite but none seem to have the hate for it that you or some on this board have.

As for the Thunder font... ehh I might have picked something else but I probably would have displayed it the same way... Thunder = loud = big = in your face = overhead = large ominous font on top.... makes perfect sense to me.

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 10:04 AM
We must be on two sides of the track, metro, because I have a lifetime around printing, design, marketing, etc... and all the opinions I hear are good.

You're not hanging around the CBD or with the late 20s crowd, then, as I have heard not ONE SOUL off this board say they liked the logo.

Luke
09-04-2008, 10:07 AM
You're not hanging around the CBD or with the late 20s crowd, then, as I have heard not ONE SOUL off this board say they liked the logo.

For the record, I am in my late 20s, will be pushing my daughter in a stroller today, in the CBD, and like the logo. I guess I'm not cool.

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm 28 and work in the CBD... and it's pretty clear I like the logo.

PS - I wasn't talking about people on this board anyway... I said people here pump them selves up for for a disapointment.

CuatrodeMayo
09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm 25. I work in Midtown. I live in J-Park. I'm a designer. I think it sucks.

OU Adonis
09-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Three surveys I found on the net, and all are very negative

OU Adonis
09-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Thunder! Oklahoma City NBA Team Reveals Nickname, Logo - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/17382967/detail.html)
The name is 'Thunder' (http://www.kfor.com/global/story.asp?s=8947652)
It's official: Oklahoma City Thunder - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/It-s-official-Oklahoma-City-Thunder?urn=nba,105328)

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 10:21 AM
We are talking about the general public here!!! God love 'em .... but these are the same people that will vote the freaking Olive Garden as the best Eye-talian in the Oklahoman's Best of OKC.

metro
09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
OUAdonis, I think out of all them, the Yahoo poll and comments are really telling. Over 20,000 participants and 58% don't like it at all and another 24% voted Meh. I understand the values of "trying to stay positive", but that is still telling. We aren't thinking large enough folks. We have a national and international brand PBC bought whether we like it or not. Basically this whole ordeal reminds me of the old Oklahoma license plates "Oklahoma is OK!", yeah we're okay, but not great mindset! This logo/color scheme doesn't exude greatness, just average. I personally think we are a GREAT city with HUGE potential and we still settle for mediocrity on so many levels.

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
OUAdonis, I think out of all them, the Yahoo poll and comments are really telling. Over 20,000 participants and 58% don't like it at all and another 24% voted Meh. I understand the values of "trying to stay positive", but that is still telling. We aren't thinking large enough folks. We have a national and international brand PBC bought whether we like it or not. Basically this whole ordeal reminds me of the old Oklahoma license plates "Oklahoma is OK!", yeah we're okay, but not great mindset! This logo/color scheme doesn't exude greatness, just average. I personally think we are a GREAT city with HUGE potential and we still settle for mediocrity on so many levels.

Yup, and all the apologists are making it worse.

BDP
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
these are the same people that will vote the freaking Olive Garden as the best Eye-talian in the Oklahoman's Best of OKC.

:congrats:

Sooooooooo true.

The thing is that I bet you could get 1/3 of the same sample to give the Olive Garden an F. Basically, when it comes down to it, in most things like sports, politics, design, etc. 30-40% of the people will fail anything that is not their idea. Everything sucks, but what they like.

Case in point: you had people calling in and writing to rip Thunder as the name, but then they would say that Barons or Outlaws would be A+ names.

The reality is that this logo is basically nothing. It's about as neutral as you can get. You can look around the league and find much goofier and cheesier logos and names:

http://americansportscollectibles.com/Heat-Logo.jpg

I agree it is not that inspiring, but an F? No way. It doesn't project a bad or even goofy image, it translates easily to media and merchandise, and it doesn't try and prove a point or reinvent the nature of sports logos. I can understand why some who feel every new thing has to be a NEW thing, but I can't understand on what level it completely fails. Personally, I'd give a C, but also like the fact they didn't overreach with this. I give it points just for not being gawdy and not just being a cartoon image of a mascot. I guess what I am saying is that average in this case may be a good thing.

n8ison
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
You can look around the league and find much goofier and cheesier logos and names:

http://americansportscollectibles.com/Heat-Logo.jpg

At least they (and every other professional sports franchise) were smart enough to put the City Name before the Team Name. Our crappy logo reads THUNDER- OKC... ridiculous.

BDP
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Over 20,000 participants and 58% don't like it at all and another 24% voted Meh.

That's probably the standard for internet polling. Disgust and indifference dominate much of the discourse. Add the fact that you're talking about sports then pretty much, with a few exceptions here and there, most will hate anything any other team does. So, lack of approval from 80% of the voters wouldn't surprise even if they'd come up with an award winning design.

Yup, and all the apologists are making it worse.

Yeah and the knee jerks are doing so much to help the situation.

Some are just trying to give some perspective and point out that, while they didn't come up with the best design in the league, there's is nothing about it that warrants the violent reaction.

MsProudSooner
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Some are just trying to give some perspective and point out that, while they didn't come up with the best design in the league, there's is nothing about it that warrants the violent reaction.

It's a tempest in a teapot.

I looked at the logos of every NBA team. None of them strike me as being really impressive. With some of them, you have to study it really hard to figure out which team it represents. There was one that doesn't mention a team at all!

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
That's probably the standard for internet polling. Disgust and indifference dominate much of the discourse. Add the fact that you're talking about sports then pretty much, with a few exceptions here and there, most will hate anything any other team does. So, lack of approval from 80% of the voters wouldn't surprise even if they'd come up with an award winning design.

Yeah and the knee jerks are doing so much to help the situation.

Spouting random numbers don't make them true.

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 11:27 AM

58% don't like it at all and another 24% voted Meh.

58+24 = 82%... BDP said 80%

I thought you agreed with that poll?

Rover
09-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Funny. Guess I am not cool. But, I have a lot of direct experience, including 10 years as a retail marketing consultant for large chain store companies, and nearly 20 years as a VP of Sales and Marketing for large manufacturing/marketing companies. And, I happen to like it, as do many of my peers I have shown it to.

Being 20 and living downtown and hanging out at the cool club doesn't make anyone a graphics or marketing expert. And, believe it or not there are rights and wrongs to design techniques and positioning. This is conservative and safe, but not bad. Is it what I would have done? No. Is it reason for the gnashing of teeth and lobbying that is going on here?...absolutely not. Face it, some people like being hysterically negative.

What I do love is how passionate the public now is about OUR team

BDP
09-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Yes, but they are true between 12% and 36% of the time with a 5% margin of error.

58% don't like it at all and another 24% voted Meh.

58+24 = 82%... BDP said 80%

I thought you agreed with that poll?

Maybe he meant that I should have done a more scientific study to determine what "true" percentage of negative or indifferent responses in a sports related internet poll would surprise me. That's fair. I have started a spreadsheet and will rate my surprisedness of all internet poll results going forward so that I may not subjectively represent my opinion again.

:chef:

DelCamino
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
... And, I happen to like it, as do many of my peers I have shown it to.

Being 20 and living downtown and hanging out at the cool club doesn't make anyone a graphics or marketing expert. And, believe it or not there are rights and wrongs to design techniques and positioning. This is conservative and safe, but not bad. Is it what I would have done? No. Is it reason for the gnashing of teeth and lobbying that is going on here?...absolutely not. Face it, some people like being hysterically negative.......

Exactly right, Rover. While the logo may not be the greatest the world has seen, it's far from one that should be evoking all this 'sky is falling' temper tantrum.

These things are subjective - some like it, other's don't. Many posters have boasted this board contains several examples of better logo's, but I sure didn't see any. These mostly looked like something drawn from an old Justice League of America comic book and yet, many of the outcryers think they're better than what PBC unveiled. I agree that in time, this logo will age well and look just fine. In about 6-8 years, it will be adapted....just like the majority of the other NBA logos.

And you're also right in saying that many of these self-proclaimed hipsters think that because you may have a different thought or outlook on these things, then you're an out of touch. Part of being successful is having the understanding there are lots of different people out there, even some who just might know a little bit more about certain subjects than themselves.

Now, back to basking in the glow of our city having an NBA franchise of our own....

metro
09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you all are missing the point, it's not JUST THE LOGO's, it's the failure to deliver on the public's expectations, as well as the fact the logo says nothing that relates to Thunder. Clay painted a picture of the colors and symbolism in a bright cheery sunset sort of way, which again, does not say Thunder. Typically people associate dark colors with Thunder, not bright and cheery ones. According to the polls 82% of the public internationally don't like the new logo. Read the comments and the majority doesn't even like the name and color scheme. I think everyone is upset about the collection of not living up to expectations on all fronts. With that in mind, why the heck did PBC not advertise more and create additional hype on a local, state, national and international level about the upcoming announcement of the name and logo. Yes, all is not lost, but much more could have been gained with better planning. Look at Clay's comments from yesterday (especially the Yahoo article). It's like he's Bubba Gump and didn't expect everything would be such a big deal. How could you not know? New or "like new" pro sports franchises and their initial launches are always a big deal. They usually garner and did somewhat, international press. Just think if they would have advertised and hyped this thing up with TV commercials, internet and radio ads, etc. etc. Especially if they did an ARG marketing campaign that would have possibly sent millions of otherwise uninterested (and many interested fans) to websites trying to figure out the clues to the new name and color. Or even with the intentional leak, they could have played of that through PR efforts. I think that is what us "naysayers" are getting at, is the blown expectations and PR exposure that could have been. Oklahoma is OK! as the old saying went. A catchy slogan, but not great. Don't get me wrong, I'll still be going to games and cheering, just won't be buying anything with that logo or color scheme.

Blairman
09-04-2008, 02:40 PM
"F"

Just think this is the first of many Blunders by Clay, just proves money cant buy everything. For all of the build up I am totally amazed about the logo, looks like something from 10-15 years ago....

OU Adonis
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
"F"

Just think this is the first of many Blunders by Clay, just proves money cant buy everything. For all of the build up I am totally amazed about the logo, looks like something from 10-15 years ago....

You have spent $500 million and this is what you are going to get to represent that investment?

CuatrodeMayo
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
IClay painted a picture of the colors and symbolism in a bright cheery sunset sort of way, which again, does not say Thunder. Typically people associate dark colors with Thunder, not bright and cheery ones.

Something like this guy proposed: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2716340959_2141ee6958.jpg

metro
09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Although not my top choice, that top logo and color scheme would have been MUCH better than the official one.

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
I think you all are missing the point, it's not JUST THE LOGO's, it's the failure to deliver on the public's expectations, as well as the fact the logo says nothing that relates to Thunder.

OH WELL!!! Now that you've underlined it! ;)

[U]Don't get me wrong, I'll still be going to games and cheering, just won't be buying anything with that logo or color scheme.

Tell me metro.... what color is a Thunder?

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Although not my top choice, that top logo and color scheme would have been MUCH better than the official one.

Really large size and in print maybe or high resolution on a computer screen... but see how good it looks when you try to embroider it on a ball cap. All those little trendy details don't come out looking that crisp.

BG918
09-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Something like this guy proposed: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2716340959_2141ee6958.jpg

MUCH better. Thunder to me should be black and silver, like storm clouds, with OKC in yellow (lightning). I really hope the uni's are black and I'm buying a black t-shirt.

Karried
09-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the Thunder and Lightning aspect.. maybe the designers were focusing on the sound and noise definition and didn't want to associate it with a storm - ie distance themselves from the WNBA Storm ?

Definition:

[n] a (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a) deep (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/deep) prolonged (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/prolonged) loud (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/loud) noise (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/noise)

[n] a (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a) booming (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/booming) or (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/or) crashing (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/crashing) noise (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/noise) caused (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/caused) by (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/by) air (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/air) expanding (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/expanding) along (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/along) the (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) path (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/path) of (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of) a (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a) bolt (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/bolt) of (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of) lightning (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/lightning)
[v] utter (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/utter) words (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/words) loudly (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/loudly) and (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/and) forcefully (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/forcefully); "`Get (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/get) out (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/out) of (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of) here (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/here),' he (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/he) roared (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/roared)."
[v] to (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/to) make (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/make) or (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/or) produce (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/produce) a (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a) loud (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/loud) noise (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/noise); "The (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) river (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/river) thundered (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thundered) below (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/below)"; "The (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) engine (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/engine) roared (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/roared) as (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/as) the (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) driver (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/driver) pushed (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/pushed) the (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) car (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/car) to (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/to) full (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/full) throttle (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/throttle)."
[v] move (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/move) fast (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/fast), noisily (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/noisily), and (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/and) heavily (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/heavily); "The (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) bus (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/bus) thundered (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thundered) down (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/down) the (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) road (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/road)"
[v] be (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/be) the (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) case (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/case) that (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/that) thunder (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thunder) is (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/is) being (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/being) heard (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/heard); "Whenever (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/whenever) it (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/it) thunders (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thunders), my (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/my) dog (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/dog) crawls (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/crawls) under (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/under) the (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the) bed (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/bed)"Synonyms: boom (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/boom), boom (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/boom), roar (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/roar), roar (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/roar), roaring (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/roaring) See Also: howl (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/howl), move (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/move), noise (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/noise), shout (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/shout), storm (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/storm), thunderclap (http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thunderclap)

MadMonk
09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I have to say that I like the one CuatrodeMayo posted a lot.

DelCamino
09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
[U]I think you all are missing the point,.......

No, I'm not missing the point. I understand perfectly what you're saying.

I don't agree with you.

DelCamino
09-04-2008, 03:49 PM
I have to say that I like the one CuatrodeMayo posted a lot.

That's just it.....no offense, but I don't like any of these. It's very predictable, font is elementary, and colors are way too dark to market successfully - wouldn't look good on posters, banners, the court, et al.

It is what it is. I think the new Thunder logo is fine and will age well. I'll even buy an extra tee-shirt to compensate for those who are stomping their feet. ; )

sooners83
09-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I am pretty sure I heard BBJ or someone else say last night (live) that this is the secondary logo until they release the mascot mid-season

Saberman
09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I am pretty sure I heard BBJ or someone else say last night (live) that this is the secondary logo until they release the mascot mid-season

I see this as more of a favicon type logo. One that is recognizable and can be used when you need a small logo.

Once the team uniforms come out and we see the mascot developed, we are going to see something more to the liking of most people. Everyone needs to just wait and see. It would be a good idea to share our ideas with the team and let them know what we want to see in a more complete logo that we can get behind. We also have to understand that not everyone is going to like what is developed either way.

Platemaker
09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I see this as more of a favicon type logo. One that is recognizable and can be used when you need a small logo.

Once the team uniforms come out and we see the mascot developed, we are going to see something more to the liking of most people. Everyone needs to just wait and see. It would be a good idea to share our ideas with the team and let them know what we want to see in a more complete logo that we can get behind. We also have to understand that not everyone is going to like what is developed either way.

If you read this press release it basically says just that.

http://www.nba.com/media/thunder/announcement080903.pdf

jbrown84
09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
At least they (and every other professional sports franchise) were smart enough to put the City Name before the Team Name. Our crappy logo reads THUNDER- OKC... ridiculous.

Might want to get your facts straight.

http://www.king5.com/sports/stories/M_IMAGE.11beb4b9125.93.88.fa.d0.3efa98ba.jpg

OKLAHOMA CITY
THUNDER

andy157
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Might want to get your facts straight.

http://www.king5.com/sports/stories/M_IMAGE.11beb4b9125.93.88.fa.d0.3efa98ba.jpg

OKLAHOMA CITY
THUNDERRight jbrown he should have said, our crappy logo reads; Oklahoma City Thunder OKC....... re-dundant.

Saberman
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
If you read this press release it basically says just that.

http://www.nba.com/media/thunder/announcement080903.pdf

From said press release.

Bennett announced the team’s uniform design is being finalized and will be revealed in late
September as players arrive for training camp. Additional graphic designs are also underway. “The
wordmark and shield, although a proud historic landmark for the team, should be viewed as an initial
primary logo as we work towards additional graphic development of our team identity,” he said.

It gets pretty tiring listening to some of the grumpy people, that don't have anything good to say about anything that doesn't fall into their narrow minded notion of what is good and what is bad..

edcrunk
09-04-2008, 10:12 PM
the logo is a big deal. ask jerry jones how much he makes off his cowboy gear that's sold all over the US. i was so hyped to get some merch... but HELL NO! not now.
i'm not being negative just UBER LET DOWN and being totally honest. btw, platemaker... i'm assuming that i'm a member of the general public. i am well traveled and do hope to have a bit of culture... i am not very fond of the olive garden but i still give it an F. and since we are on the subject... doesn't this "general public", whom you have such a low opinion of, make up the majority of the people purchasing the tickets and the gear? who cares if they don't like it... they don't know good italian! pfft!
and rover, my buddy who owns a marketing company said he expects someone from AM.com to get fired over this pathetic logo.
ya know, when i dj out of state, i generally throw in an OU shirt or jersey (as i did with the mavs when i lived in dallas)... but there is no way i would rep my city with that horrid thing. i'm not gonna purposely give people from other states more ammunition to dump on oklahoma. i guess that's what also irks me... we were given another chance to shed our mediocre, mundane image... and we FAILED!

oh and saberman, yes, there are more logos to come... what reason do i have to believe that it will be any better than this?! look at it from this prespective. barry manilow puts out a song. it's super, effing lame. however, everyone with no taste is like "but wait, barry has more songs coming out". either way... it's still more crappy barry manilow songs.

Saberman
09-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Problem is NBA and NFL are two different animals. Football is King.

I do understand what you are saying. There will always be people on both sides of this, and there is not going to be a solution that will make everyone happy. Rarely will there be the most prefect one that will make the earth move, and church bells ring. Bigger cities then ours have show it is not a matter of money or being more cosmo, just look at the Heat or the Wizards.

How many years did it take before the Dallas Cowboys logo became the icon that it is today.

architect5311
09-04-2008, 11:03 PM
As an artist, architect, and designer.........yes the logo really sucks and was such a letdown after all the hype. Imagine if the Devon Tower design was not what it could have been and more, that's the afterthought we are all having...........it could have been sooooo much better.

On the brighter side most NBA uniforms don't display thier logo or minimize it on the uniform. Take the Washington Wizards for example, a sorry logo as well as name..............but the uniforms aren't that bad. Surely they will go with a jersey with just "Oklahoma City", as many teams do, and also a more graphic THUNDER.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/wizzardslogo.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/wizardsjersey.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/wizardsshorts.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/thunderT.jpg

andy157
09-05-2008, 12:11 AM
As an artist, architect, and designer.........yes the logo really sucks and was such a letdown after all the hype. Imagine if the Devon Tower design was not what it could have been and more, that's the afterthought we are all having...........it could have been sooooo much better.

On the brighter side most NBA uniforms don't display thier logo or minimize it on the uniform. Take the Washington Wizards for example, a sorry logo as well as name..............but the uniforms aren't that bad. Surely they will go with a jersey with just "Oklahoma City", as many teams do, and also a more graphic THUNDER.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/wizzardslogo.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/wizardsjersey.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/wizardsshorts.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/thunderT.jpg

I hope to God they don't put our logo on a piece of crap Adidas t-shirt. That would be so stupid, and would really suck. We've come to far, lets not screw up now. I say our logo belongs on Nike, or nothing at all. Anything less would be a terrible blunder.

metro
09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
I imagine the team already has a contract from Adidas, considering everything they put out before and after the logo has been Adidas and the Sonics contract was with Adidas. Hopefully, when the contract expires they will go with Nike next time.

Edcrunk, I agree with most of what you said. How about still repping OKC at your gigs (and this would help spread the Major League City word), by using the black practice t-shirts that were launched this summer? They are much more respectable and closer to what I think most of us were expecting.

http://media.ksbitv.com/images/OKCGear4Sale340.jpg

Karried
09-05-2008, 07:58 AM
NBAThunderShop.com: The Oklahoma City Thunder's Home Team Store (http://nbathundershop.com/)

It's Adidas .... here we go.. more things to complain about.

I already bought our shirts .... even if they change the Logo, this is history making - our first NBA team - yeah.