View Full Version : wow, just wow....

cedbled
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't know what pisses me off more:
The Thunder name and stupid a-- colors, or the fact that apparently their "marketing" team GOT PAID to do little more than come on okctalk and hornetscentral and eavesdrop on what most of the folks were requesting.

Now, I really am glad I fought so hard for OUTLAWS\BARONS, and better colors, because obviously, it would've made a difference.

ddavidson8
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Logo's gay

Nixon7
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM
that logo is the worst in professional sports. we waited that long for something that was done in microsoft paint? have you guys checked out the shirts available on nbastore.com? They are all so generic and THUNDER is in huge script with okc or NBA basketball under it. They better get some better stuff, those flat out suck. Ok, done with my knee jerk reaction. other than that, GO okc THUNDER!

m2kneo
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
im going to go ahead and coin it now... the okc blunder... because they screwed up flat out name logo colors... a huge blunder.... hmmm oh well at least it is still football season... Go Sooners!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
So this is the thread where all the emo kids go to cry about the world not lining up to their expectations AGAIN?:053:

Cool.

I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.

Karried
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
oh gawd, lol... the emo lawn... I'm using that one on my teen's friends ....

kmf563
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
So this is the thread where all the emo kids go to cry about the world not lining up to their expectations AGAIN?:053:

bwahahahahaha.
<3

cedbled
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Cool.

I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.

correction:
This is the thread where people who think greater OKC got ripped off by folks who were PAID to market this team in a professional, classy way for OKC, did jack **** other than ear-hustle the team name\theme song from the posters here, and on hornetscentral.com

If you agree with what they pulled on us, just say so.
This is NOT the time for your bull****.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Sorry. You aren't in charge. You don't get to say when it's time for my bullsh*t.

And if you can crap on the threads where people are happy, happy people can crap on your thread.

:pat_head:

cedbled
09-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry. You aren't in charge. You don't get to say when it's time for my bullsh*t.

And if you can crap on the threads where people are happy, happy people can crap on your thread.

:pat_head:

Oh, and I'm the only one here that has a bone to pick?
You are protesting just a bit much, dude.......
See folks, now let's all ask Mr. whatever how much he got paid for his design....

It must be yours, so let's hope the Thunder have half the defense you're putting up right now.

Karried
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
How quickly we forget... wasn't too long ago that an NBA team here in OKC would have been unthinkable.

I don't really care about the logo, I can't wait until Sept. 9 when I get to pick my seats ....

sheesh, all these negative responses are unbelievable and very disheartening.

I know some people are disappointed but come on, it's not the end of the world... logos can change, and we can work with Thunder

For God's sake, we have a Team!

FritterGirl
09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Cedbled, dude. Take a chill pill.

I'm right with you on the deflated expectations stuff. I have already expressed that I am NOT a fan of that logo. Still, it seems you're taking Gawd's comments WAAAAAYYY too seriously.

He just calls 'em like he sees 'em. Ya gotta love that.

Besides, when all is said and done, don't you think that the important thing is what those players put out there on that court, and not on their shirts?

Karried
09-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Besides, when all is said and done, don't you think that the important thing is what those players put out there on that court, and not on their shirts?

Yes!

OU Adonis
09-03-2008, 06:30 PM
There are a lot of apologists on this board.

I hear "Well there are worst logo's out there"

and

"But at least its OUR team"

If I spent $400 million on an item I would expect a better image being put out.

Its like spending $300k on a car and slapping a "Honk if your horny" bumper sticker on it.

Its like having a face only a mother can love. Yet we had the chance to craft the best looking face out there for our child and we came up with this.

We pick the name "thunder" then use colors that are sky blue and go with sunsets.

Nothing says blue skys and orange red sunsets like thunder.

You only have 1 chance to make a first impression.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
09-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh, and I'm the only one here that has a bone to pick?
You are protesting just a bit much, dude.......
See folks, now let's all ask Mr. whatever how much he got paid for his design....

It must be yours, so let's hope the Thunder have half the defense you're putting up right now.

LMAO.

Dude...

A) I'm not protesting anything but your Debbie Downer attitude across the board on this, and I'm doing it VERY obviously with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

B) You're trying to pick a fight with a guy that goes by the internet psuedonymn "Oh GAWD the Smell!". You're taking this a bit too seriously.

betts
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Guys, the colors actually are quite good. I think the red-orange and gold look great on the sky blue. I don't love the navy, but they were going to have to use it or black for lettering. Once I saw the gear I was a lot less upset about the logo. It looks fine. And there are more to come. It all looks way better than that basketball in the picture.

donbroncho
09-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm hoping that this is all a nightmare. Alas, it is not. Colors are good, logo is utter garbage. Very disappointed, dismayed, etc etc pretty much feel what other people on here have posted.

Hopefully they work on it some more and i don't know, make it look halfway decent.:bright_id

I'll cheer my head off, but until they fix that logo, no merch for me.

But still trying to stay positive...:-)

edball
09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I like the name Thunder, but they should use Thor's war hammer in the logo.

Midtowner
09-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I like the name Thunder, but they should use Thor's war hammer in the logo.

Thor... that works because of the viking runes found out in Heavner.

-- sort of.

--- really..no.

FritterGirl
09-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I like the name Thunder, but they should use Thor's war hammer in the logo.Not enough mass appeal.

edball
09-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Thor... that works because of the viking runes found out in Heavner.

-- sort of.

--- really..no.

How much sense does it have to make? What about the Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals, LA Lakers, etc.

edball
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Not enough mass appeal.

I guess they should have went with Thunderbirds. That name has a lot of tradition in Oklahoma, and it would make a great logo.
I would like one in this style...

http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/303/910/86/18_1.JPG

MadMonk
09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Jeez, with all the cattiness here over design, colors, etc it's like an episode of Queer Eye.

Whatever. Although I wasn't overwhelmed by it, it's not bad. It kinda grows on you. What will be amusing is watching the haters jump on the bandwagon and wear the logo when the Thunder begins winning.

edball, is it just me or does that logo look like a oil derrick gushing oil?

OU Adonis
09-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Not enough mass appeal.

Yes, nothing says mass appeal like a basketball with two arrows through it.

edball
09-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Jeez, with all the cattiness here over design, colors, etc it's like an episode of Queer Eye.

Whatever. Although I wasn't overwhelmed by it, it's not bad. It kinda grows on you. What will be amusing is watching the haters jump on the bandwagon and wear the logo when the Thunder begins winning.

edball, is it just me or does that logo look like a oil derrick gushing oil?

Now that you mention, I can see it too, that makes it even better.

metro
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
There are a lot of apologists on this board.

I hear "Well there are worst logo's out there"

and

"But at least its OUR team"

If I spent $400 million on an item I would expect a better image being put out.

Its like spending $300k on a car and slapping a "Honk if your horny" bumper sticker on it.

Its like having a face only a mother can love. Yet we had the chance to craft the best looking face out there for our child and we came up with this.

We pick the name "thunder" then use colors that are sky blue and go with sunsets.

Nothing says blue skys and orange red sunsets like thunder.

You only have 1 chance to make a first impression.

Excellent summary of what happened yesterday! I couldn't agree more. The marketing & PR team should be fired and referred to OKC Blunder. Yes we'll be fine and I'll still support the TEAM, but what a BLOWN FIRST IMPRESSION and chance to really knock things out of the park and create an international hype leading up to the logo and delivering on it. Yeah, they did fine "locally" but internationally read the boards, everyone is seeing it as a blunder. We bought an international brand and came up with a elementary school logo. I'll still be buying my tickets, but I doubt I'll buy merchandise now. I was prepared to buy several things yesterday after the presser had the leaked photos not been the actual name/logo. Let's face it folks, professional sports logos aren't changed that often, and usually colors remain the same when they are, or close to it. Nothing about this logo says Thunder. This reminds me of Saved By the Bell and the early 1990's when bright neons were cool.

kmf563
09-04-2008, 07:38 AM
The marketing & PR team should be fired and referred to OKC Blunder.

I couldn't agree more! Especially when they weren't coming to OKC anyway and decided they would give it a try at the last minute. I probably only feel that way after being interviewed for that position and then being told it was no longer available. But still, big failures all around. Things would have been much different if I was in charge. Different colors, different logo, different press conference, different promo, .....

But that's just me being selfish. :fighting3

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Excellent summary of what happened yesterday! I couldn't agree more. The marketing & PR team should be fired and referred to OKC Blunder. Yes we'll be fine and I'll still support the TEAM, but what a BLOWN FIRST IMPRESSION and chance to really knock things out of the park and create an international hype leading up to the logo and delivering on it. Yeah, they did fine "locally" but internationally read the boards, everyone is seeing it as a blunder. We bought an international brand and came up with a elementary school logo. I'll still be buying my tickets, but I doubt I'll buy merchandise now. I was prepared to buy several things yesterday after the presser had the leaked photos not been the actual name/logo. Let's face it folks, professional sports logos aren't changed that often, and usually colors remain the same when they are, or close to it. Nothing about this logo says Thunder. This reminds me of Saved By the Bell and the early 1990's when bright neons were cool.

Thank your own, local Ackerman McQueen for that. One of the nice things about having a virtual monopoly on the industry in OKC is that you get business whether you're any good or not.

FritterGirl
09-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Thank your own, local Ackerman McQueen for that. One of the nice things about having a virtual monopoly on the industry in OKC is that you get business whether you're any good or not.I was wondering whether AM was behind this. Just like them to go above and beyond in symbolism and not deal with enough substance.

Someone did say in another thread that this is good, solid design and works on multiple levels. I cannot argue with that. It is clean, it is simple.

But I still say that if you have to "explain" what the logo is supposed to mean, then it is not doing its job. I also say that if the logo has little or nothing to do with what the organization's name is, then it's not doing its job.

Nixon7
09-04-2008, 08:40 AM
It's kind of growing on me. I guess. Reminds me a little of the sonic logo. The simplicity of it just bugs me though.

http://www.everythingalamogordo.com/images/accounts/36/sonic_logo.jpg

http://www.kvewtv.com/upload/pics/45/452.jpg

betts
09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
It's not the logo I dislike, but rather the fact that it doesn't relate to the name or Oklahoma City at all. There should be a tie-in. Even though I don't love lightning bolts, if they'd made those two things that stick out lightning bolts it would have been more appropriate. I think there will be other logos. The Hornets have about five. I suspect all the fans complaints have been read and registered.

I like the colors, though.

OKCMallen
09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
It is clean, it is simple.

This is up to interprtation, but 4 colors (not counting white) and two fonts in one logo is not "simple" to me....oh well, we'll all be done bitching soon. :)

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Whatever. Although I wasn't overwhelmed by it, it's not bad. It kinda grows on you. What will be amusing is watching the haters jump on the bandwagon and wear the logo when the Thunder begins winning....

I'm adding the ol' +1 to this statement.

I'm glad they stopped with "Thunder" and didn't have anything after it.

Unless of course they named the team "Thunderballs" so that they could use Tom Jones's "Thunderball" as the theme song.

Tom Jones Thunderball - FREE MP3 Stream - Listen on IMEEM Music (http://www.imeem.com/jerkypants/music/XszYZhU5/tom_jones_thunderball/)

Saberman
09-04-2008, 10:45 AM
The only thing I don't really like is the name Thunder as it appears above the logo, but I think that will change. The important part is that it has "OKC" in it.

Our next hump is to see what the uniform looks like in three weeks. Maybe we can start talking about basketball.

TaoMaas
09-04-2008, 10:57 AM
The only thing I don't really like is the name Thunder as it appears above the logo, but I think that will change. The important part is that it has "OKC" in it.

I'm the same way. I think the OKC logo is fine, but the font on "Thunder" seems kinda plain.

Laramie
09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Didn't like the name at first because it reminded me of the Wichita Thunder.

I'm sold now.

The marketing of this team with its name and possibly some new versions of the logo is immeasureable.

The songs that could generate support besides Thunderstruck; also, include the thundersous songs; Bridge Over Troubled Waters (numerous artist and versions), It's Raining Men (Weathergirls) and a host of others.

This was indeed the best pick overall.

metro
09-04-2008, 02:15 PM
yeah, or Ted Nugents Thunder Thighs song........

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-04-2008, 06:46 PM

As I stated in another board, I agree with this. I also said that if they added the words "Oklahoma City" and perhaps had all that circling the logo.

Our next hump is to see what the uniform looks like in three weeks.Maybe we can start talking about basketball.

Amen....

jbrown84
09-05-2008, 06:28 PM
So you're complaining that they came on here and got ideas???

Why were you posting them, if you didn't want them to be noticed? In case you don't recall, "Thunder" was the most popular proposed name in our poll as well as many others.