View Full Version : Excellent resource for OKC zoning information

metro
09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
A great resource for OKC zoning information
Journal Record
August 28th, 2008

I have been a bit lax over the past couple of months in sharing some of the research tools I utilize on a daily basis. Therefore, not only will I attempt to share more tools and resources in the coming weeks, but I thought I would kick things off today by telling you about an important tool I use almost on a weekly basis. Some of you may already know this resource, but I have found many commercial brokers that are unaware of its existence.

When listing a property one of the most vital pieces of information a broker must have is the zoning of the subject property. This is extremely vital when it comes to land parcels because typically commercial zoning will yield higher sales prices than residential or even industrial zoning. The City of Oklahoma City Planning Department has created a wonderful tool on their website that allows users to view the zoning of any property in the city. You can find this tool at
City of Oklahoma City | Zoning Locator (http://www.okc.gov/Planning/zoning/locator_intro.html).

To utilize the tool simply click one of the three size locator buttons to begin your search. From there one can begin navigating a map of Oklahoma City with various online tools provided by the Planning Department. One can also search a specific address or intersection. Because there are so many zoning classifications, the city also provides a PDF document that details all zoning classifications for Oklahoma City. You can download the zoning document at this link:
http://gis.okc.gov/netapps/OnlineZoning/OnlineZoning/forms/ZoningDefinitions.pdf.

This is a fantastic research tool that all commercial brokers should be aware of and will allow them to become more efficient in their work. Best of all, this tool allows one to have the information at their fingertips rather than having to make a trip to the Planning Department’s office.