View Full Version : TIF for Bricktown Canal extension??

metro
09-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Tax increment funds could turn Bricktown Canal extension plan into a reality
Oklahoman
By Steve Lackmeyer
Main Street

Some news gets lost when it is paired up with something as big as a new 54-story skyscraper. And that's just what happened last week as I reported on how construction of the new $750 million Devon Energy headquarters might affect the downtown tax increment financing district.

The district, which uses increases in property taxes downtown to support infrastructure and new development, could end up seeing $7.5 million a year from the project. And how could that money be spent? Well, let's just look at the latest expenditure approvals, which include $1.05 million for a small extension of the Bricktown Canal south to Reno Avenue.

The project will create a major new entryway for the canal for people walking to and from Ford Center.

However, some readers have asked on my blog, OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://www.okccentral.com), "why stop there?”

Master plan
That's a good question. The city's master planning during the Metropolitan Area Projects program actually suggested extending the canal around what is now the Centennial Building in Lower Bricktown, under the Burlington Northern Santa Fe tracks, beyond the Ford Center, and west to the Myriad Gardens.
And when The Centennial was being planned, developer Randy Hogan was reminded of that potential growth and encouraged to leave a pathway — something he did.

And to do this, the city would be fulfilling the vision of someone who was one of the earliest proponents of a downtown canal — Dean A. McGee. Back when the canal opened, Jack Money and I heard several differing versions on the inspiration for the canal. That inspired us to write our book "OKC Second Time Around” — and during that journey we learned that the canal was first proposed in the early 1980s as a way to attract federal funding for the Myriad Gardens.

Intrigued? Let's continue — McGee and then city engineer Merle Medley were looking for ways to keep the Myriad Gardens project on track.

And it was then that they looked at creating a canal, lined with shops that would connect the gardens with the Oklahoma River. More importantly, they believed the proposal could win the city some federal economic development grants.

Solution at hand
Could the city find any better way of better connecting Bricktown with the Arts District while also spurring on interest in the Myriad Gardens?
With construction of a new downtown boulevard and additions planned for Ford Center, will there be any better time to go ahead and get this job done?

Thanks to the pending windfall from the Devon Tower, the money will be available. And the city is about to extend the canal anyway. The plan has been in place for a decade.

The only real question in my mind is whether such an extension will actually enter into the conversation as downtown Oklahoma City strives to reinvent itself as a tier two tourism and convention destination.

Luke
09-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Now, THIS is something.

Pete
09-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Very interesting.

I think extending the canal into the CBD is what could transform downtown and the canal itself into something truly unique and a real destination.

It's nice as it is, but lets face it, very few businesses have been able to sustain themselves along the canal and in the longer term, we need to find a way to make it more relevant and more integral to all downtown, rather than just a Bricktown amusement ride.

metro
09-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Pete, I think canal-side businesses failed primarily due to greedy landlords charging exhorbant rental rates and poor planning on behalf of restaurant owners, but I do agree, having it go through the CBD (similar to Chicago) would do wonders for our downtown and for it's long-term viability.

westsidesooner
09-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Tax increment funds could turn Bricktown Canal extension plan into a reality
The city's master planning during the Metropolitan Area Projects program actually suggested extending the canal around what is now the Centennial Building in Lower Bricktown, under the Burlington Northern Santa Fe tracks, beyond the Ford Center, and west to the Myriad Gardens.
And when The Centennial was being planned, developer Randy Hogan was reminded of that potential growth and encouraged to leave a pathway — something he did.

I'm having a hard time picturing this route "around" the centennial building. It's kinda difficult since google earth is so out of date in BT. Would the canal branch off then run between the centennial and the theatre then west on what is now 3rd st.? That seems awfully tight. Or would it branch off north of the centennial and go along Reno?

Or could they extend the canal south and west from where it ends now on the west side, then down 3rd or Reno. Are there any bridges under the railway besides Reno and the small one at SE 4th?

I really hope the canal gets extended. We've discussed it in other threads and if it's we're ever going to connect the canal to the gardens/park now would be the time to do it in conjuction with the Ford center renovations and the new Boulevard. Wouldnt that look sweet having the canal run between the boulevard and the ford center. Or even looping the ford center. Homeland security would love that idea too...the Moat protection program.

Anyone have the plans to this extension or there own ideas and maps?

Steve
09-02-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll try posting something on OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://www.okccentral.com) within the next day or so.

warreng88
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm having a hard time picturing this route "around" the centennial building. It's kinda difficult since google earth is so out of date in BT. Would the canal branch off then run between the centennial and the theatre then west on what is now 3rd st.? That seems awfully tight. Or would it branch off north of the centennial and go along Reno?

Or could they extend the canal south and west from where it ends now on the west side, then down 3rd or Reno. Are there any bridges under the railway besides Reno and the small one at SE 4th?

I really hope the canal gets extended. We've discussed it in other threads and if it's we're ever going to connect the canal to the gardens/park now would be the time to do it in conjuction with the Ford center renovations and the new Boulevard. Wouldnt that look sweet having the canal run between the boulevard and the ford center. Or even looping the ford center. Homeland security would love that idea too...the Moat protection program.

Anyone have the plans to this extension or there own ideas and maps?

From what I can tell, the canal will continue west from where it bends in front of Harkins and the canal will also extend south from the ending point of where it is by Zio's. They would meet about the center of the U-Haul parking lot, continue west under the train tracks, turn north just after huggin the new bridge, turn west on Reno, going in front of the Ford Center (replacing the street) then south immediately after. That is what I can tell from the rendering.

CuatrodeMayo
09-18-2008, 09:54 AM
Where can I find said rendering?

warreng88
09-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Where can I find said rendering?

It is on Steve's blog:

Extending the Canal (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2008/09/03/extending-the-canal/#comments)

CuatrodeMayo
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
thanks.