View Full Version : Roller Hockey??

redwingsfan
09-02-2008, 06:47 AM
I'm new to the area (recently moved from DFW area) and looking for an adult roller hockey league. I can't see to find any at all

Is there any roller hockey anywhere in OKC City area?

Thanks in advance!

metro
09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I used to play in a league on N. May between Britton and Hefner. I forget what the place is called. You might also try Lighthouse on Lake Hefner Parkway and Hefner. There used to be a cool place called Billy Baloo's or something like that that had multiple arenas, but it is now an Aspen Athletic. You might also try calling some of the roller skating rinks around town and see if they know of anything. Roller Hockey was big here int he 90's we even had a major league roller hockey team, the Coyotes. But the roller hockey craze did'nt last long nationwide.

http://www.kustombuilding.com/images/skatearenainterior.jpg

http://www.kustombuilding.com/images/skatearena.jpg

redwingsfan
09-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. I have already tried calling every roller rink within 50 miles of OKC and not place has roller hockey or even knows of a place that does.

Couple questions...

Is the place on N. May still there?

What is Lighthouse?

metro
09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
The place on N. May, not sure. They were using a church gym but the gym was set up for roller hockey. I forget the name of it. Lighthouse is a fitness center here in the metro. They have all sorts of athletic programs, ropes course, fitness center, pool, volleyball leagues, etc. They'd be your best bet for a league I'm guessing. They are on Hefner and Lake Hefner Parkway.

Welcome to the Lighthouse - Oklahoma City (http://www.okclighthouse.com/)

Roller Soccer seems to be the new craze:

The Official Rollersoccer International Federation Website v3.01.5.31 (http://www.rollersoccer.com/)

Dave Cook
09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
What about that roller rink in Edmond near Kelley (not far frm Arctic)?

I noticed at one of the roller derby shows, they had lines and boards set up for hockey. You might wanna give them a shout.

redwingsfan
09-02-2008, 01:49 PM
You are correct, at one time they did have roller hockey. That is until they closed the doors and reopened as something other than a roller skating place (health club I think?).

Still looking...

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I wish I knew of a place myself. All I can say is Welcome from a fellow Wings fan!

the_Mont
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I play in an adult ice hockey rec league (former roller hockey player myself), and we have a few guys that have made the transition to the ice. There used to be a place in Edmond called the Rockin' Roller Rink, but I think it recently closed down. I used to play at Billy Baloo's, and they had the best rink (Sport Court), but the owner didn't pay his taxes... There also used to be a little league run by Wayne Zettlemoyer called, don't laugh, the Fun Ducks. As far as current leagues, I think you might be out of luck.

metro
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I used to play in Zettlemoyer's league too, that's the place on N. May I was thinking of. He ran some adult leagues too.

redwingsfan
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Geez, a city the size of OKC (and surrounding area too) and not even one roller hockey league.

I wonder if there is some rougue street league out there somewhere...

Chefdavies
09-03-2008, 02:46 PM
the place in edmond closed, I use to play ice and roller hockey in okc, the light house had an outdoor rink, but it was crap. We also played at a place called chico's, it was an indoor soccer field by the greens, I believe that is just strickly indoor soccer now. You might try "skate moore" they use to have a league, I almost got kicked out of, whoever makes up a rule that you can't curse is an idiot. That is all the places I knew of, other than a parking lot.

the_Mont
09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Geez, a city the size of OKC (and surrounding area too) and not even one roller hockey league.

I wonder if there is some rougue street league out there somewhere...

You're from Motown,right? Why you don't ice skate?

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
You're from Motown,right? Why you don't ice skate?
Just because one's from Detroit doesn't mean one has learned to ice skate (I should know...I'm one of them)

Besides, redwingsfan said he was Dallas/Ft. Worth, and I know as fact that one doesn't have to grow up in Michigan to be a Red Wings fan.

redwingsfan
09-04-2008, 06:10 AM
I do ice skate. However, I found that the adult ice hockey leagues usually started real late at night. Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of wanting to eat so I have to get up early and go to work the next morning. Roller hockey leagues were usually less crowded so game times were earlier and more convenient. I also found roller hockey leagues to be more fun with fewer hassles.

My two cents worth...

redwingsfan
09-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Actually, I grew up in Sterling Heights, just about 30 minutes outside of Detroit. I do miss going to those Red Wing games...

the_Mont
09-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I do ice skate. However, I found that the adult ice hockey leagues usually started real late at night. Unfortunately, I have this bad habit of wanting to eat so I have to get up early and go to work the next morning. Roller hockey leagues were usually less crowded so game times were earlier and more convenient. I also found roller hockey leagues to be more fun with fewer hassles.

My two cents worth...

My league actually plays Sunday afternoons and into the evenings. Games are scheduled between 2 pm and 7:15 pm. I do understand that roller hockey was more convenient (time and price wise), and it's certainly more of a finesse game than ice hockey. If a legit rink with boards, Sport Court, lines, etc ever resurfaced in Oklahoma City, I think I'd join a team. I was more of a scorer in roller hockey, whereas I'm essentially a grinder on ice.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Actually, I grew up in Sterling Heights, just about 30 minutes outside of Detroit. I do miss going to those Red Wing games...

Cool, I grew up Downriver, mostly Taylor. I wish I could've gone to a Wings game when I had the chance :/

Sally Strych 9
09-25-2008, 07:26 AM
I play roller derby for the Oklahoma Victory Dolls Oklahoma Victory Dolls - Home (http://www.okvd.net) We are a member of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (http://www.wftda.net) The top league in the nation is coached by a hockey player and we are always looking for people to offer us advise. If anyone is interested please contact me at brookelinn14@yahoo.com and I will give you more details.

This is not the roller derby most of you think of. We take our sport very seriously and train up to 12 hours a week. We have our last bout of the season on Saturday and if any of you are interested in coming shoot me an email and I can get you on the will call list.

Also men's derby is starting to grow like crazy. We went to a tournament in Dallas this weekend and there were men's leagues from all over the nation playing. I wasn't too surprised to find out that many of the men playing had a background in hockey. We are starting a men's league here in OKC. I encourage you to come out and watch a practice before brushing off the idea of playing derby!

Hope to hear from some of you!
Sally

Dave Cook
09-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Sally....

So basically you're saying that the men actually know how to skate and can do crossovers? ;)

Sally Strych9
09-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks Sally....

So basically you're saying that the men actually know how to skate and can do crossovers? ;)

Well, you know, they might not be as tough as us but they can skate.:LolLolLol

Really though, you don't have to have a skating background to play roller derby, but it does help. If you have to concentrate too hard on the actual skating you are not able to focus as much on the game. Same goes with any roller sport.

Curt
09-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Good choice on two things, being a wings fan and leaving Detroit...I am one of them, still trying to leave this ****hole of a city.

ceek99az
11-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Has anyone ever found any info on current roller hockey leagues here in OK? Or at least know where some roller hockey is played?

redwingsfan
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Still waiting...

I think I know the answer, but have you had any luck yourself?

bretthexum
12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Don't think there is any. Just real hockey.

metro
12-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I think rollerhockey finally died in this city, at least on an organized level. I've seen some pickup games here and there from time to time on school parking lots, etc. More rollerhockeyers got into ice hockey. Now Slamball is like the new rollerhockey, just not sure if anyone is playing it here in OKC yet.

bretthexum
12-09-2008, 06:51 PM
There is a really large adult hockey league in the city. I think there are 4 different divisions now. D1 is ex blazers and college players, D4 is pretty much beginners learning to play.

the_Mont
12-16-2008, 09:42 AM
There is a really large adult hockey league in the city. I think there are 4 different divisions now. D1 is ex blazers and college players, D4 is pretty much beginners learning to play.

Are you talking roller or ice?

bretthexum
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Are you talking roller or ice?

Ice...

the_Mont
12-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Ice...

Do you play?

sxl
12-18-2008, 10:52 AM
I worked at Billy Ballous when they opened and i was there when we all got laid off and told we were getting like 40% of what we were owed.

I had some great times there though.

bretthexum
12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Nope, but I know some guys who do. I might join a team in the spring.

Dave Cook
12-18-2008, 02:12 PM
There are two ice rinks in the city that cater to ice hockey.

One is the Ice Chalet on North MacArthur and the other is Starena off North Virginia. Both quality rinks.

Make sure and get a spot near the giant wood burning heater at the Chalet. Good times....

the_Mont
12-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Nope, but I know some guys who do. I might join a team in the spring.

I played Wednesday nights last spring, and Sundays over the summer. My summer team didn't play this winter, so I'm waiting for one of the intermediate Wednesday leagues to start up in the new year. I'm coaching a jr. high team now.

bretthexum
12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
There are two ice rinks in the city that cater to ice hockey.

One is the Ice Chalet on North MacArthur and the other is Starena off North Virginia. Both quality rinks.

Make sure and get a spot near the giant wood burning heater at the Chalet. Good times....

The adult leagues play at Arctic Edge in Edmond and Blazers Center near Crossroads. I actually haven't heard of either of these rinks but I haven't lived here long.

Dave Cook
12-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Okay, you got me.

Those were the happening rinks in the 1970's and early 80's. Good times....sorta.

Oklahoma City has definitely improved in terms of ice.

the_Mont
12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
There used to be a rink called Iceland off of 39th. My high school club team played there, and it used to be the Blazers practice facility. If you've ever heard an old hockey player talk about playing in a barn, Iceland was definitely it. It's an antique wharehouse now, I think.

Blazers Ice Centre was build in the early to mid 90s. It now houses the Blazers practice facility, and it's the home rink for the OU hockey team.

Arctic Edge was built around the same time as BIC, but it's a little younger. Our first season of high school hockey was played strictly at Arctic. My mom hated coming to these games because of the fighting and cussnig. I mean, you get a few dozen testosterone-filled teenagers on an enclosed rink with their friends and girlfriends watching, not exactly my best moments...

Arctic build a second rink this past year. It's mainly used for hockey; house leagues, travel tournaments, and it's the home ice for the UCO hockey team. The new rink defnitely has the best ice. My team plays there at 6:15 tonight, actually.

metro
12-19-2008, 08:10 AM
theMont, "Iceland" was not off 39th, it's off N. Rockwell and about NW 30th. You are right though it is an antique/crafter's mall. It has some pretty cool stuff in it. Anyhow, yes that was the original Blazers practice facility and THE place to play when it was new. The name Iceland doesn't sound right, I'm thinking it had a different name though.

the_Mont
12-19-2008, 11:37 AM
theMont, "Iceland" was not off 39th, it's off N. Rockwell and about NW 30th. You are right though it is an antique/crafter's mall. It has some pretty cool stuff in it. Anyhow, yes that was the original Blazers practice facility and THE place to play when it was new. The name Iceland doesn't sound right, I'm thinking it had a different name though.

Trust me, it was Iceland. It's currently an art and antique gallery (http://www.rinkgallery.com/). I played there a ton of times. Couldn't remember the exact address, I just knew that I went down 39th to get there. Here's the Google Maps page (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS256&q=iceland%20oklahoma%20city%2C%20ok&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl). It was just south of 39th.

Dave Cook
12-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Iceland was 33rd and North Rockwell.

metro
12-22-2008, 09:44 AM
You're right on the name, Iceland is starting to sound right, the location was not NW 39th though, but where SNSPoke said, I grew up in the area too, so I also frequented the place. The RINK is pretty cool and has some neat stuff in there.

Joe Kimball
12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Iceland Sports Center (or was it the British spelling Centre?).

I read in 1991 in a hockey newsletter of the day that it was the only sheet of ice in Oklahoma (at that time). For a couple-three years Iceland was open as well as Arctic Edge and Blazers Ice Centre, giving us quite the choice. But back then---man! The crowds at Iceland were unspeakable.

It was a decent rink, albeit undersized IIRC.

As far as roller hockey goes, I'll add for academic purposes that Summerfield Soccer Pavilion (now Hat Trick Indoor Soccer Arena) once hosted roller hockey during that hockey boom that occurred when the Blazers first came. They simply pulled up the turf from one of the pitches, painted lines on the slab, and added goals.

Dave Cook
12-23-2008, 04:48 AM
You are correct in that Iceland was at one time the only ice in Indian Territory. Starena closed, I believe, in the spring of 1988. Iceland opened a couple of years later. It was like the freagin La Colisee after the dump known as Iceland. Now, of course, the newer rinks blow the old Iceland Barn away.

There was also, apparently, an ice rink for a short time along Robinson not far from the Capital in the late 1950's but I've been unable to dig up any info on this.

While we are on the topic of rink history, here a few photos of some of the old OKC rinks.

Fairgrounds around 1965-66. I only show this photo as this is where the junior skaters of the time skated. Decent barn.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/57/l_a0f78811d8b81b924daf481bacd09cb5.jpg

Ice Chalet from the mid to late 1970's. This building later became Fritzi's club. Note the chainlink.

http://a745.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/49/l_414fa834f52cddb02ca18aa0763af398.jpg

Finally, a shot from inside Starena. That brick wall along the far board there was a hoot to get checked into. The former OKC Stars players used to joke about how there was absolutely no neutral ice in this dump.

http://a386.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/120/l_aa952a9600ab6dd7bd8fd804ee66d5a1.jpg

Sorry, only images I could dig up.

the_Mont
12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Cool pics SnS! My senior year in high school, our home rink was Iceland, so I remember how it looked just before it was changed. I wish I could find pics.

DaveSkater
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
No Roller hockey in Oklahoma City.

That's why I decided to aggressive skate.
foot2big on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/foot2big)

It's a hoot!

Joe Kimball
02-13-2009, 10:01 PM
I've seen the State Fair Arena photo before; I love it.

I can't immediately find the site, but I've seen photos of the actual rink back then with the spare rodeo dirt around it. A striking site, a hockey rink (with the chain-link fence above the dashers) in the middle of dirt and a high wall. When the Blazers came back in 1992 and played some games there because the Cavs had the Myriad that evening, this was replaced with a proper removal of the dirt, etc. and the addition of bleachers in the resulting void. I remember reading of complaints that the ice was chippy there---whether that's a result of the building or the fact that there's usually "warmer" ice for the commercial ice shows there I couldn't guess.

I can't believe there was a bare wall, much less a cinder block one, along one side of the rink at Starena! That's so...bad!

jmlight
03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
I played roller hockey from '92 (just after the Blazer craze began) till '97. The team I kept goal for played five games in one day in the middle of the summer during the Sooner State Games and I ended up spending the night dehydrated in the hospital. Playing days over.

We started playing at the rec center at Summerfield in NW OKC on a little matchbox-sized rink, then we migrated to Moore and played there for years. Played a couple of weeknight seasons in Midwest City and midnight leagues in Norman before ending up at Billy Balloos. After it closed nothing compared. We played pickup once a week after Starena briefly put in a roller rink in the mid-90's. I think that building is empty now.

I miss those days.

Someone from the old days told me they still play at the old Comet rink near 36th and MacArthur. Not sure if it's organized or not, but you might check it out.

OKIE_IN_AZ
03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I played roller hockey from '92 (just after the Blazer craze began) till '97. The team I kept goal for played five games in one day in the middle of the summer during the Sooner State Games and I ended up spending the night dehydrated in the hospital. Playing days over.

We started playing at the rec center at Summerfield in NW OKC on a little matchbox-sized rink, then we migrated to Moore and played there for years. Played a couple of weeknight seasons in Midwest City and midnight leagues in Norman before ending up at Billy Balloos. After it closed nothing compared. We played pickup once a week after Starena briefly put in a roller rink in the mid-90's. I think that building is empty now.

I miss those days.

Someone from the old days told me they still play at the old Comet rink near 36th and MacArthur. Not sure if it's organized or not, but you might check it out.

Holy Cow,

Flash, how have you been. I stumbled onto this thread while killing time at work. What you left out about the 5 games in one day is that we were by far the underdogs of the tourney but ended up winning anyway.

I am living in PHX and we have 9 ice rinks & 4 roller hockey rinks. Downside is the ice hockey house leauges are twice as much as OKC( I guess ice is more expensive to make in the desert?).

Yes, I also miss the days of late night roller hockey in Norman, MWC, Summerfield, & games playing against Randy Harris, Mike Miller, Robbie Hodgins (Old School players). Hope all is well with you and the family. Say Hi to Bob for me.

Eric Johnson

metro
03-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Sounds like we ought to get some street league pickup games going this summer!

Dave Cook
03-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey Az...

You mentioned Randy Harris, his brother is in that photo above in the yellow sweaters. The Harris family has been around the rinks a long time.

SoCalMama
04-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Anything new on roller hockey here in OKC or surrounding areas?

jmlight
05-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Holy Cow,

Flash, how have you been. I stumbled onto this thread while killing time at work. What you left out about the 5 games in one day is that we were by far the underdogs of the tourney but ended up winning anyway.

I am living in PHX and we have 9 ice rinks & 4 roller hockey rinks. Downside is the ice hockey house leauges are twice as much as OKC( I guess ice is more expensive to make in the desert?).

Yes, I also miss the days of late night roller hockey in Norman, MWC, Summerfield, & games playing against Randy Harris, Mike Miller, Robbie Hodgins (Old School players). Hope all is well with you and the family. Say Hi to Bob for me.

Eric Johnson

Hey Eric.

Sorry I missed your post and message. When I first joined here, I had to wait several days while my posts were approved, and by the time they got put up I had forgotten I'd posted. I just now saw the message you sent.

Great to hear from you and glad you're still around hockey and coaching your son. He's still three, right?:wink:

Man, I miss those good old days. Yes, we were the underdogs in Shawnee but it was our day. It was nice to have Randy on that team so I didn't have to worry about his slap shot for once. I still some of those guys playing ice. Guys like John Jackson and Randy and a few others. I don't know what's happened to Rob Hodgins. How's your brother doing?

Flash.

Gblanch
05-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Well after scouring the net for a roller hockey league this forum just reassures me that there is NOT a rec league out there.

I played roller hockey for 4 years in in my early high school days, since ice hockey is all the rave out here, how hard would it be to transition into playing on ice? I've only been ice skating a handful of times but I picked it up quickly.

lifesavedave
05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow this thread brings back alot of memories from along time ago! Summerfield, norman, billy ballo's, moore, and iceland, all good times. Mike miller was one of my first roller hockey coatches, heck I remember I let Rob hodgins borrow my skates while we were at nationals one year.

Well my dad just came by and said that some guy from work asked him if I would be interested in playing roller hockey again. He said it was in norman. I'm going to give them a call and see if thats true, it would be fun to dust the old roller blades off!

lifesavedave
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
jmlight I just saw your name at the bottom, it'sDavid alderman. :omg: How yoiu been?

jmlight
05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
jmlight I just saw your name at the bottom, it'sDavid alderman. :omg: How yoiu been?

Hey man, how's it going?

I've been doing pretty well, thanks. Haven't played hockey since I almost died*, but staying busy.

*Okay, so that's just a little bit of an exaggeration, but it was nice to go out on top.

What are you up to these days?

lifesavedave
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Well I just called skateland in Norman. They have a new owner and he said that he is looking to start a one night a week pick up game starting sometime this summer. He has only started looking at options of setting up the rink to play hockey and actually hasn't made any changes yet. He did take my name and number and said he has a list going and would call everyone when it starts up.

So everyone needs to call and show some interest. I'm assuming the more people he talks to the faster he gets it going.

Gblanch
05-19-2009, 06:57 PM
could you post his name/number?

lifesavedave
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Skatelands number is 329-1818. I can't remember the owners name though, it might have been Scott.

MrBrightside
11-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Stumbled across this looking somewhere to post.

YES, got the call from CHRIS at Star Skate (new name for skateland, same place) this week.

They will be starting pick up nite Sundays at 8 p.m. (to 10 I think he said). $10. Open.

Show up, starts this sunday, Nov. 15 2009

jparker
03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
hey everyone im new to this forum, been living in OKC for about 7 years now. I went to star skate this sunday and there were a bunch of people playing roller hockey, are any of you playing? I really want to get into this sport, but i have never played before.....any advice?