View Full Version : Commuting Questions

Celebrator
09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Thinking about a move to east Edmond.

1) How is the traffic flow along I-35 from Danforth down through the I-44 exchange and onto the NW Expy to May Ave during the AM and PM rush? Any bottlenecks to know about on that route?

2) What about using the Broadway Ext to that NW Expy& May area--any better?

3) How about using I-35 to the Kilpatrick to Hefner Pkwy to NW Expy?

According to GPS all are about 25 min from east Edmond near Danforth and I-35.

Any thoughts from Edmond to NW OKC Commuters or those who pay close attention to daily traffic reports and metro area traffic patterns would be appreciated.

td25er
09-02-2008, 07:13 AM
I take Danforth & I-35 to I-44, and get off at Lincoln. It's usually pretty smooth. That part of the commute takes about 10 minutes.

TaoMaas
09-02-2008, 07:53 AM
I used to commute from Edmond to downtown OKC. A friend who had been making the same commute for many years told me that I-35 was the way to go if you wanted to avoid delays. The Broadway Extension was a lot handier for me, but I never knew if my commute was going to take 20 minutes or if it was going to take an hour and a half. :banghead:

hipsterdoofus
09-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I used to commute from Edmond to downtown OKC. A friend who had been making the same commute for many years told me that I-35 was the way to go if you wanted to avoid delays. The Broadway Extension was a lot handier for me, but I never knew if my commute was going to take 20 minutes or if it was going to take an hour and a half. :banghead:

I have friends that are in between I-35 and Broadway and seem to think I-35 is the way to go, but I'm a lot more distance oriented, and if it weren't for the current construction at memorial slowing things down, I think Broadway is faster AND shorter. I-35 takes you out east too much.

TaoMaas
09-02-2008, 10:43 AM
You're right...Broadway is faster and shorter...until something happens, like a minor fender-bender. Then it becomes a giant traffic jam. What my friend actually told me was, "If you don't have to be to work right on time, take Broadway. But if you absolutely have to get there on time, like if you have a meeting, take I-35. It slows down sometimes, but never comes to a dead stop like Broadway does."

khuelskamp
09-02-2008, 11:09 AM
We live off I-35 and 33rd street and the normal routine commute is 10-20 minutes max. We have family/friends north of Covell that also travel I-35 into OKC and only have problems if there is an accident.

Celebrator
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks so much, and keep 'em coming if anyone out there still wants to weigh-in.

This is where the power of the internet is just remarkable to me. I can ask a routine question like this all the way from Orlando, FL and get a very helpful answer!

mtpinto
09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I live about 2 miles west of Covell exit (exit north of Danforth). I commute to Baptist Hospital via I-35/44 , 25 min, rarely a traffic jam. 70-75mi per hr speed limit is a plus.

hipsterdoofus
09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
You're right...Broadway is faster and shorter...until something happens, like a minor fender-bender. Then it becomes a giant traffic jam. What my friend actually told me was, "If you don't have to be to work right on time, take Broadway. But if you absolutely have to get there on time, like if you have a meeting, take I-35. It slows down sometimes, but never comes to a dead stop like Broadway does."

Yeah I always leave plenty early for work so I've never really had a problem...but if you tend to be one that cuts it close anyway, Broadway could be a problem. The worst is when traffic is at a crawl and you get to the end of it and there is no accident or anything...just random slowness.