View Full Version : Danny Williams retired today,,,any stories?

grantgeneral78
08-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Danny Williams retired today, man I feel OLD now!...

Do you all have any stories of him?

KOMA ROCKS!

bluedogok
08-29-2008, 08:32 PM
My dad and I played golf with him at Hook & Slice one time.....

grantgeneral78
08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Yea I heard he was pretty good back in the day playing golf.

bluedogok
08-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I was just starting out, we just got paired up with him at the course. I don't remember much about it, other than the Astroturf tee boxes that the place had.

grantgeneral78
08-30-2008, 02:47 AM
I was just starting out, we just got paired up with him at the course. I don't remember much about it, other than the Astroturf tee boxes that the place had.

Where was hook and slice at...I have forgotten?

SOONER8693
08-30-2008, 08:46 AM
My dad, my uncle and his 2 kids, and myself were at the Friday night wrestling on Channel 4 the night he first said, "watch out for flying chairs". It was broadcast live from the channel 4 studios up on east Britton road I believe. Danny did the commentary live. Well, a couple of the wrestlers got kicked out of their match and kicked completely out of the facility. Right at the end of the broadcast, they broke in the back door with a folding chair or two and flung them up in the ring at the referee and Danny was going crazy on the broadcast and yelled the now famous "watch out for flying chairs". I think I was about 10 at the time, early 60's. I'm not absolutely sure of the year.

bluedogok
08-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Where was hook and slice at...I have forgotten?
The SW corner of Wilshire & Broadway behind where the warehouses are now. I think the old clubhouse was still there into the late 80's when I was at Triangle A&E. On Google Earth you can still kind of see where it was and a ghost of the layout.

Google Maps link (http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=35.547753,-97.517186&spn=0.009271,0.019226&z=16)

Generals64
08-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Danny Williams retired today, man I feel OLD now!...

Do you all have any stories of him?

KOMA ROCKS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KOMA???what are you talking about? Danny was an icon on WKY radio 930 on teh AM dial...Then he moved over to the competition. I remember Bazark...his #1 sidekick...for 3-D Danny.....let's get the synchrorectoverter going......."buzz, whiz, BANG". and away we went....until the Mickey Mouse club came on and then (after noticing Annette) I realized the girls on American Bandstand were prettier than the other girls....Oh My Gosh, Pat Molitari.............even Dick Clark thought she was extraordinary.....Then Danny was a sidekick also to Foreman Scotty...He and some guy (Hawg Waller) both had a silly name.....What was Danny's name? anyone remember?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOONER8693
08-30-2008, 01:43 PM
I can't remember Danny's character name on Foreman Scotty either. I did have the "Magic Lasso" land on me one time on the show. And another time, on my birthday, I got to sit on Woody the birthday horse.

Generals64
08-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I can't remember Danny's character name on Foreman Scotty either. I did have the "Magic Lasso" land on me one time on the show. And another time, on my birthday, I got to sit on Woody the birthday horse.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've told this story on the southside memories thread but, my wife wanted to win the golden horseshoe when she was on the show....She found a nail sticking out of the bleachers and she rubbed her finger against it until it bled thinking they would feel sorry for her and give her the horseshoe...wrong........Foreman Scotty seized the moment and sprayed her finger with Bactine and got in a commercial all at the same time. When I ws with T.G.&Y. i got to work with Steve Powell, Ronnie Kaye, Danny Williams, Tim Holt and all of the local characters.....we would have in-store promotions and they would be there.....I still can't remember Danny's characters name....Hawg Waller was another guy....
I do remember seeing Danny Williams in a movie one time didn't I????? and then of course there was Mary Hart.....whew.....

See ya next time:..................

NativeOkie
08-30-2008, 03:34 PM
The side kicks were Willy and cannonball, also there was a lady on there from time to time named Widow Weep, (played by Danny Williams)
There was the guy in the hay loft they would blame anytime something technical would go wrong. Used to say He got peanut butter on the film projector.

NativeOkie
08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I got it Homer in the hay loft was the guy who was blamed for technical problems.
Cannonball McCoy, and Xavier T. Willard was Willy, (Danny Williams.)
The moved the Mystery Mine down to the fairgrounds and you could get these tokens for visiting. It was WKY Booth and OPUBCO.
http://users.pullman.com/fjstevens/tokens/pix/6767.JPG

grantgeneral78
08-30-2008, 07:28 PM
What years did the danny williams show run?

MsProudSooner
09-01-2008, 03:44 PM
What years did the danny williams show run?

I'm not sure, but I think he started the day after the first TV broadcast ever! :Smiley199

Honestly, my grandparents bought their first TV in approximately 1953 or 1954 and his 3D Danny Show (Dan D. Dinamo!) was on at that time.

Generals64
09-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure, but I think he started the day after the first TV broadcast ever! :Smiley199

Honestly, my grandparents bought their first TV in approximately 1953 or 1954 and his 3D Danny Show (Dan D. Dinamo!) was on at that time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Williams was on WKY radio 930 am dial...He then became Dan-D-Dynamo friend to Bazark:....Then he was also one of Foreman Scotty's sidekicks....Danny also did the Saturday night Wrestling (watch out for flying chairs) along with Leroy Mcquirk and the Great Danny Hodge.
Now, there was a noon time show hosted by Tom Paxton who all of a sudden was removed and Danny moved in to take his place for awhile (rumors flew) and the show Danny's Day took off and was on for quite some time. Mary Hart of Entertainment Tonight was his co-host... The 3-D Danny show was about in 1953-54 as these type of after school shows became popular along with the Mickey Mouse Club. We would come home from school, watch American Bandstand (if my sister got home first) and Foreman Scotty/3-D Danny and then the Mickey Mouse club with Annette and of course Spin and Marty.

See Ya next time:............boy, I'm getting old...Nixo Billy

Generals64
09-01-2008, 04:03 PM
I just saw Danny's Name....Xavier T. Willard:....and of course Haqwg Waller was always in trouble...

Generals64
09-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I just saw Danny's Name....Xavier T. Willard:....and of course Hawg Waller was always in trouble...

grantgeneral78
09-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Xavier T. Willard?