View Full Version : OKC Team Name Announcement

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

the_Mont
09-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Where's the best parking around Leadership Square? Will the meter maids still ticket for expired meters after 5p?

UnFrSaKn
09-03-2008, 02:40 PM
NBA in OKC: Wait almost over (http://www.newsok.tv/?titleID=1770059112)

OKCMallen
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Nice generic logo...makes it easy for them to replace the "OKC" for the next city that will host the franchise.

That made me a little sick to my stomach, mainly because it made sense.

Needless to say, total disappointment and hopefully people are the press conference express their total disgust with this pathetic excuse of a logo. Would be nice to find out what company designed it.

I am still planning on going down there; I am anxious to see how the crowd responds.

jbrown84
09-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Will the meter maids still ticket for expired meters after 5p?

Nope.

jbrown84
09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I think I'm going to leave work early to go to this.

the_Mont
09-03-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm w/ Mallen. I want to see how the crowd reacts. Think anybody will boo?

buylow
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM

you mean other than me?

OKCMallen
09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

Surely not, but the silence might be deafening...

donbroncho
09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

I hope they do...very very loud...

LordGerald
09-03-2008, 02:55 PM

I will boo, and boo loudly, like thunder.

I sit in the North End Zone at OU games. Our section leads the country in booing, so I have experience.

SoonerDave
09-03-2008, 02:55 PM
oops..someone beat me to it...sorry

the_Mont
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Good points from True Hoop, wonder how this will be resolved:

"The NBA team in Oklahoma City will get its official nickname on Wednesday, and all indications are that it will be 'Thunder.' That's right: Thunder. That decision probably didn't sit well with the Golden State Warriors. Not to mention the guy who wears the suit. Why? Because 'Thunder' is the name of the official Warriors team mascot -- NBA-approved, by the way. Not only that, the image of Thunder is prominent in the Warriors' primary logo -- the one with him holding the lightning bolt above the word 'Warriors.' ... Let's put it this way, the Warriors better be getting something out of this. And hopefully it's not at the expense of the guy in the suit. But there's just no way you can have two Thunders."

ESPN - First Cup: Wednesday - TrueHoop By Henry Abbott (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-34-16/First-Cup--Wednesday.html)

FritterGirl
09-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Nope.They (the meter maids) sure have been lately (ticketing after 5 p.m., that is). I wouldn't bet on the extra hour anymore. We've got a thread in here somewhere that discusses it.

I'm still up in the air about whether I want to venture down or not. It's getting less likely by the minute. I really, really hope this is all a huge rouse.

Thunder
09-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm goin to bed. I'll find out on here. :D

supersooner
09-03-2008, 03:03 PM
For sure to be a major milestone moment in OKC, it sure looks like it's going to be a dissappointment alright. Almost time to boycott......

KWOOTEN
09-03-2008, 03:27 PM
just got "wind" of the new mascot:

http://gfc.easytel.com/Cap/OkHistory4thQt/aok4qt/gustybcast.jpg

hope somebody gets this

KWOOTEN
09-03-2008, 03:38 PM
"Thunder" wouldn't be so bad if they would just add "Cats" to the end of it....

keving
09-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Thunder is not the name... here's the real team name and logo.
http://www.jasonzimdars.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/okc_nba.jpg

CrimsonOberon
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Thunder is not the name... here's the real team name and logo.
http://www.jasonzimdars.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/okc_nba.jpg

And that logo is still better than the one we got, because it at least spells out Oklahoma-friggin-City!

soonergal
09-03-2008, 03:42 PM
maybe it is a hoax... maybe? please, maybe?

can't say how disappointed I am with the orange and blue dud..
The Toby K one looks better

kmf563
09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
hahaha. Oh, I love the care bears. awesome.

Yes, I love my shirt and I promise it has more on it than that boring stupid logo.
I will give them a break because I know how chaotic everything has been to get this team up and ready to go for this season. The full staff is not set yet and everyone is running around like nuts. BUT - nothing they are doing is very smart and is just causing people to be confused rather than excited about them being here.

Karried
09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Please, please don't Boo! No matter how bad it is, it will make everyone here in OKC look so horrible.

Karried
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
wow, over 500 downtown already at 4:59 .... very cool.. please, no Booing!

OKCDrummer77
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
It's online now:

NBA OKC (http://www.nba.com/oklahomacity/)

Karried
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Cool. they're rocking AC/DC ... it's not horrible.. ha,ha.. I can't believe they are blasting 'You've Been ThunderStruck!" lol.. could have been worse, not sure about what is going through the logo though..

Uh, oh, music is over and very little clapping.

m2kneo
09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
its official im staying a spurs fan... TERRRIBLE logo terrible colors and even worse name... wait i take that back the logo is the worst part... this is what happens when middle age white guys buy a team and try to make a "hip" logo

westsidesooner
09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
There Will Be More Logos

Intrepid
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't mind the logo so much. But I'm not too thrilled with the font type of "Thunder".

sweetdaisy
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
The team logo is the biggest diappointment...there is NOTHING cool about it. AC/DC rocking in the background and LAME-O logo staring you in the face. Gag.

MrZ
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
There Will Be More Logos

And this time they shouldn't hire a high school student to design it.

OKCMallen
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
OK OK, it looks a LOT LOT better with the blue background as opposed to the white one we were all complaining about. Still, pretty generic. Press conference had party music playing and the crowd was boisterous.

sweetdaisy
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't mind the logo so much. But I'm not too thrilled with the font type of "Thunder".

I think that may be the worst part of it...the font does nothing to convey excitement or enthusiasm. It's just "thunder"...blah, blah, blah.

CuatrodeMayo
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Logo. Is. Lame. Very. Lame.

angel27
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
We love you Clay! Thanks for the team.. love the name and the logo will do especially the way you explained it. not too red, not too orange, the blue of our sky and the orange-red of our sunsets. I love the possibilities. Love the song. And I also love the way this forum builds suspense. But ya'll are just too good...we already knew.

Luke
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm pleased. Not ecstatic. But, not disappointed at all.

:)

GO THUNDER!

edcrunk
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
i'm disappointed with the logo.

venture
09-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm okay with the colors...but the Clip Art logo must go. Someone said high school kid made it...I wouldn't bad talk the high school kid. No. This was a pure product of committees and advisors and people who spent years with their nose in a book trying to understand what the rest of us would like. Unfortunately, the world tends to pass people by when they do that. The best graphics designers are those who are actually allowed to explore their creative freedom. This was a clear case of "ooo lets put a sheild in it...oh and we gotta have a basketball...and umm...OKC on top. Now...let's put a think line of several colors that we can say represent Oklahoma."

Pathetic pathetic pathetic. The crowd now clapping after the unveiling was telling. Me personally? I would have throw an egg at the banner. If I was Clay? I would have fired the moron that designed it and then bought the company he worked for and fired him from his job all together.

westsidesooner
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I thought the silence after thunderstruck was a little odd. The actual logo unveiling seemed unrehearsed and akward, not what I would expect from the PBC. You think maybe they knew from checking the forums beforehand that everyone was a little disappointed in the logo? Clay was quick to mention that there would be additional logos. Perhaps he is actually listening to what people are saying and taking it all in.

In that case Clay, I want a bison mascot.

Unless all the leaks were intentional, which I think they were, the PBC should take some advice from Devon on how to keep a secret. That siad. Thank you Clay and the PBC. Now lets play ball.

Karried
09-03-2008, 04:32 PM
It's not the greatest but none of the NBA logos are all that anyway.

I'm just happy to have a team .... when I'm screaming my head off at the games, I won't even think about the Logo.

I already bought my shirt and hubbys .. ( website a little slow) and I love that stodgy ole OKC rocked the house with AC/DC.. at least it wasn't Garth Brooks!

architect5311
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I like the scheme The Oklahoman artist put together weeks ago on the front page..... that really sucks maybe it will change sooner than later...........

OKCMallen
09-03-2008, 04:35 PM
It's not the greatest but none of the NBA logos are all that anyway.

I'm just happy to have a team .... when I'm screaming my head off at the games, I won't even think about the Logo.

I already bought my shirt and hubbys .. ( website a little slow) and I love that stodgy ole OKC rocked the house with AC/DC.. at least it wasn't Garth Brooks!

Now there's the winning attitude!!:congrats:

MrZ
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
They would have been better going somewhere like this and saving money and getting a better logo: Sports Logos | Logo Design for Sport, Sports Teams and Organizations (http://www.thelogofactory.com/logo_design_supplemental/sports-logos.html)

Kerry
09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
FYI - only about 3 or 4 NBA logo are very good in the first place. I agree that the font on "Thunder" is wrong. The word Thunder takes up 50% of the area.

http://www.sportslogos.net/league.php?id=6

edcrunk
09-03-2008, 04:58 PM
we should have a contest on here and see who can come up with a better logo and vote on it. i have more faith in our okctalkers to come up with something.

sgt. pepper
09-03-2008, 05:00 PM
yes, hire those guys. it looks like some of the nba teams did. at least clay said there will be more logos, hope is still in the air.

FritterGirl
09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Whoever did the Barons logo (really a type treatment) did a pretty good job, although I'm not sure he/she was an OKCTalker.

I also liked the person's attempt at doing the logo with the thundering bison head with clouds and lightning. It's in one of our numerous threads here. Colors are black & gold, though so it was a bit too reminiscent of Univ of Colo's logo.

That's really more what I had in mind.

cedbled
09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
we should have a contest on here and see who can come up with a better logo and vote on it. i have more faith in our okctalkers to come up with something.

PLEASE God, no more contests!!! That's how we ended up here in the first place!!!!

UnFrSaKn
09-03-2008, 05:19 PM
It's official: Oklahoma City Thunder - Ball Don't Lie - NBA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/It-s-official-Oklahoma-City-Thunder?urn=nba,105328)

Note the poll...

kmf563
09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
its official im staying a spurs fan... TERRRIBLE logo terrible colors and even worse name... wait i take that back the logo is the worst part... this is what happens when middle age white guys buy a team and try to make a "hip" logo

so...you are one of those people who picks a team to root for based on their logo and colors. hmmm. For me it's more about supporting my city and the team that represents it no matter what colors they wear. I am not exactly thrilled over a schooner being pulled by horses...but I bleed crimson and cream and will be at every home game in Norman losing my voice from yelling so loud.

We have an NBA team! I never thought okc would see the day to have pro sports. I don't care if we called them the pooh bears!! I would still be there and I would still be a fan. This is history folks.

Anyway, that is not the full logo. There is already work in progress and it's really not bad. You all expect a lot from a team that has been here less than 2 weeks and doesn't even have a staff.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
09-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Well, that was underwhelming......

m2kneo
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM
no i dont pick by a color or logo... why on earth would i be a packers fan if that were true... but when you have a fresh start and you talk a big game... come up with a big name... i agree i never thought we would have a pro sports team... but common its minor league all around... i mean even if your happy right now you have to admit that...

heres a little something i made with one of the pics i found on espn... he looks as stunned at the generic logo as most people do

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l301/m2kneo/e444bbfe-d174-4669-9390-0166dbd3478.jpg

murphystone
09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
This is such a great thing for our economy and our future. Check out the Thunder Gear... It looks great.

edcrunk
09-03-2008, 06:13 PM
so...you are one of those people who picks a team to root for based on their logo and colors. hmmm. For me it's more about supporting my city and the team that represents it no matter what colors they wear. I am not exactly thrilled over a schooner being pulled by horses...but I bleed crimson and cream and will be at every home game in Norman losing my voice from yelling so loud.

We have an NBA team! I never thought okc would see the day to have pro sports. I don't care if we called them the pooh bears!! I would still be there and I would still be a fan. This is history folks.

Anyway, that is not the full logo. There is already work in progress and it's really not bad. You all expect a lot from a team that has been here less than 2 weeks and doesn't even have a staff.

yes, it is that bad... and i will be at the games yelling my head off... just not in a shirt with that crappy logo. i am way bummed that my city is represented by those colors and that weak-ass logo. someone dropped the ball. since they are all about "listening to the fans"... then hopefully they'll hire someone different to make the additional logos.

bwana_bob
09-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Watching the press conference out of the corner of my eye on the TV in my office, the logo looked to me like:

A giant flying pork chop!

That's not stylized lightning cutting through it - those are skewers.

Oklahoma Thunder - Flame Grilled and Flying Towards You!

Pork - The Other White (Dead) Meat

Yet, at the end of the day, I'll go with Blevins' old quote: "They're our bunch!"

LordGerald
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Watching the press conference out of the corner of my eye on the TV in my office, the logo looked to me like:

A giant flying pork chop!

That's not stylized lightning cutting through it - those are skewers.

Oklahoma Thunder - Flame Grilled and Flying Towards You!

Pork - The Other White (Dead) Meat

Yet, at the end of the day, I'll go with Blevins' old quote: "They're our bunch!"

Dude, you just quoted Dean Blevins...

soonergal
09-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I am so disappointed right now...I guess I'll get over it sometime.....:confused: :Smiley124

BFizzy
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I really think this mistake is going to cost them a lot of money.

Luke
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Ya know... if you look at the logo just right, you can see a bird head profile (beak on the right...

...which leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, the mascot will be a Thunderbird.

Boy, I'm really reaching for that one aren't I?

plmccordj
09-03-2008, 07:39 PM
This is not a mistake at all. This is a great name and an average logo. I have heard someone quote on here that they never thought we would get a pro team. That strikes me as negative and is no wonder we are hearing all this negativity. I guess I should expect to hear all this on the first few days. It is common knowledge in any enterprise that complainers make the most noise. People that are happy tend to keep quiet most of the time so it gives the impression that everyone is unhappy. I truly believe that over time and people get over the fact their pet name was not picked, people will come around. Some of the arguments I have heard do not hold water if you apply it over the entire league. I have heard "They named the team after a noise, a noise that only scares children". I am curious what a Laker scares. If you really think about half the other names forgetting that you have grown up hearing about them, they are just as cheezy. Think about the Spurs. Who do they scare? What about the Heat? Who do they scare? I personally love the name Thunder and the logo while not that impressive, is not any worse than half the teams out there. Do not lose hope. After the initial disappointment wears off, I think most people will not even think about the name or logo. Maybe I am wrong but I hope our citizens are not THAT negative.

bwana_bob
09-03-2008, 10:17 PM
By design (pardon the pun), the OKC NBA team has built up suspense, no doubt reveling not only in the press clippings but the domination of sports talk radio and both civic and sports message boards. The build-up was not just of excitement but of expectations. More importantly, the team was positioned to serve notice of Oklahoma City's inclusion in the elite group of cities with major league teams. It is, by extension, a symbol of both our aspirations and our accomplishments. That some people, including myself, are somewhat deflated by the design should not be made a litmus test of our pride in the city or our overall happiness with the team. Instead, it should be viewed as a natural - and rather temporary phenomena - the resetting of expectations. I wanted that logo to be exciting, to say something new about Oklahoma City - or at least to represent the city to my out-of-state friends in the way that I see Oklahoma City. By that measure, it has failed but, it does not mean that I won't buy a T-shirt, hat or other logo item - rather, it implies that the team has to imbue said logo with meaning through its conduct on the court, particularly in respect to measured improvements in competitiveness over the next several years. A great logo would not have made a great team but I would have been busting a few buttons if people in other NBA cities were instantly jealous of our team name and logo. I don't believe we have to worry about that possibility at this point so, let the reality sink in and watch this become a decreasingly important issue. Along with others, I tempered my comments with a statement that made clear my support of the team. After all, IT IS a symbol of our progress and unity.