View Full Version : sports bar

mecarr
08-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Talked with a guy who is opening a sports bar\restaurant where Daquri zone use to be. Should be open in February.

kevinpate
08-27-2008, 04:57 AM
and closed in ....? Nah, I hope they make it.

betts
08-27-2008, 06:32 AM
A really good sports bar should do fine. You need the combination of good food, good beer and great tvs designed for easy viewing. That combination doesn't sounds like it shouldn't be that hard, but good sports bars are hard to find.

OKCMallen
08-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Talked with a guy who is opening a sports bar\restaurant where Daquri zone use to be. Should be open in February.

Excellent! With the addition of the Thunder, hopefully sports bars in Bricktown will make it. I mean seriously, we don't even have ONE legit one unless you count Hooters (which I don't).

amaesquire
08-27-2008, 08:36 AM
What was the name of the one that closed? East of Spaghetti Warehouse? It seems like BT is hard on sports bars. Hopefully one will make it. A good place without a cover would be nice.

Turanacus
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Sports Bars are easy to groom into success, the owners of the BT establishments have been idiots and are missing the ingredients, i.e. Al's, Halftime, Coach's . . .

Stinger
08-27-2008, 09:02 AM
The biggest thing the existing "sports bars" are missing is sound during the big games. I struggle to find a place to watch games that have game audio with the picture. Not much of a game experience to go somewhere to watch the screens, but listen to Coldplay.

Turanacus
08-27-2008, 09:06 AM
excellent point Stinger . . .

betts
08-27-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree completely. I also hate uncomfortable seating.

amylynn5656
08-27-2008, 10:17 AM
My only requirement is decent food and some reasonable drink specials. Asking too much? probably.

warreng88
08-27-2008, 11:12 AM
What was the name of the one that closed? East of Spaghetti Warehouse? It seems like BT is hard on sports bars. Hopefully one will make it. A good place without a cover would be nice.

I believe you are referring to what once was the Varsity Sports Grill and then when that went under, it became Halftime sports grill.

mecarr
08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
From what I was told, it will be more of an upscale sports bar...So perhaps Red Pin is to a bowling alley what this sports bar\restaurant is to a regular sports bar.

OKCMallen
08-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Drink specials and focus on adults, not kids, are my key points.

Midtowner
08-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Sports Bars are easy to groom into success, the owners of the BT establishments have been idiots and are missing the ingredients, i.e. Al's, Halftime, Coach's . . .

If Daiquiri Zone had gone by a different name, it would have succeeded IMHO. There was no better place in town to catch a game (The Boar's Head from the good 'ol days excepted).

Coach's would have been fine, but the food was (is?) awful. It seems they relied too much on their unique location.

Halftime was an odd place. It seems they didn't use (or clean) half the building and the service was some of the worst I've ever had. I recall the last time I went in there (not sitting at the bar), my waitress spent all of her time hitting on the guys at the next table and none of the time refilling our drinks, etc.

The Varsity -- don't know what happened with them. I thought they were great. In fact, I think they might have gone under for reasons unrelated to how many plates of food they were serving, etc. It seemed constantly busy.

I never went to Al's. I always thought its predecessor (Da Boat) was decent though.

BoulderSooner
08-27-2008, 12:46 PM
From what I was told, it will be more of an upscale sports bar...So perhaps Red Pin is to a bowling alley what this sports bar\restaurant is to a regular sports bar.

mark clayton .. is some of the money behind this new sports bar

betts
08-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Ah, I remember Scissorhands (on the Sports Animal) saying Mark was getting involved in a business venture in Bricktown. I figured he was opening a club, but apparently not. Sounds cool. I believe the Varisity closing in Bricktown and ultimately on 63rd was at least partially because the owners were tired of being in the restaurant business.

wsucougz
08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
With the addition of the Thunder, hopefully sports bars in Bricktown will make it.

What is this "The Thunder" that you speak of?

John
08-27-2008, 01:19 PM
What is this "The Thunder" that you speak of?

aka OKC NBA team... :tiphat:

bigjkt405
08-27-2008, 01:44 PM
If Daiquiri Zone had gone by a different name, it would have succeeded IMHO. There was no better place in town to catch a game (The Boar's Head from the good 'ol days excepted).

The DZ didn't go out of business due to lack of business.........

wsucougz
08-27-2008, 02:51 PM
aka OKC NBA team... :tiphat:

Oh yeah, duh.

:bright_id

OKCMallen
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Coach's would have been fine, but the food was (is?) awful. It seems they relied too much on their unique location.

Halftime was an odd place. It seems they didn't use (or clean) half the building and the service was some of the worst I've ever had. I recall the last time I went in there (not sitting at the bar), my waitress spent all of her time hitting on the guys at the next table and none of the time refilling our drinks, etc.

The Varsity -- don't know what happened with them. I thought they were great. In fact, I think they might have gone under for reasons unrelated to how many plates of food they were serving, etc. It seemed constantly busy.

I never went to Al's. I always thought its predecessor (Da Boat) was decent though.

Halftime might be the worst place I've ever gotten a beer.

Stinger
08-27-2008, 07:55 PM
If Daiquiri Zone had gone by a different name, it would have succeeded IMHO.

I always had the same thought. Went there once. Cool place, but was didn't want to tell my friends.

Stinger
08-27-2008, 07:57 PM

Have they closed?

OKCMallen
08-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Have they closed?

Been closed a while now, and Bricktown is better for it. I would rather it be vacant than open.

Richard at Remax
08-28-2008, 02:27 PM
i wish windy city didnt try to go all retro on us or they would've still been around

Pete
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM
It amazes me up until recently OKC didn't have a good Irish Pub (and there are still room for more) and that there hasn't been a decent sports bar since the Varsity opened in the early 80's.

How is this possible with the hundreds of bars in that town and with a population that is generally sports crazed?

The rumored place at the Classen Curve may finally provide a good alternative.

Easy180
08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Pete I think it's because us married dudes find it a little easier to drag the wives to an Irish pub than a sports bar

And there might actually be some wives out there that believe we are really heading to the Irish pubs for the food not the beer :ou2

ddavidson8
11-30-2008, 07:24 PM
The Varsity on 63rd is closed???? :(

wsucougz
11-30-2008, 08:00 PM
The Varsity on 63rd is closed???? :(

Yep. Gone.

ddavidson8
11-30-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm getting more depressed every minute. WHY? Is there anything else in that spot?

john60
11-30-2008, 10:42 PM
CHK gobbled up the building