View Full Version : New residential mid-rise at 5th & Dewey?

tuck
08-22-2008, 07:11 AM
I've heard plans are in the works for very affordable housing at NW 5th, between Dewey and Walker...a 10-20 story building.

Pete
08-22-2008, 08:55 AM
I've heard plans are in the works for very affordable housing at NW 5th, between Dewey and Walker...a 10-20 story building.

Oooh, that's enticing.

That would be just north of the Legacy project.

Tuck, would this be apartments or condos?

HOT ROD
08-22-2008, 08:56 AM
very nice tuck, do tell!

tuck
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Yes, just west of the old Motor Inn on Walker. I think condos for sale with retail and office space below. I don't think the deal is final; just downtown talk for now.

Pete
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Sure hope it happens.

That entire area north to Plaza Court is highly under-developed and prime for more residential.

If that goes in, then you'll have Sycamore Square, Legacy, Regency Tower, Park Harvey and The Montgomery -- plus this new structure -- all in pretty close proximity and the beginnings of it's own little residential neighborhood. Might bring in a smaller market to serve that population.

Also, all those places are with easy walking distance of Devon Tower and I'm sure many of their employees will take advantage.

metro
08-22-2008, 05:11 PM

Yeah, I've announced this a few months back in a couple other threads. It's Rick Dowell's new project. He's already started the streetscaping on his parking lot across the street.

metro
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Sure hope it happens.

That entire area north to Plaza Court is highly under-developed and prime for more residential.

If that goes in, then you'll have Sycamore Square, Legacy, Regency Tower, Park Harvey and The Montgomery -- plus this new structure -- all in pretty close proximity and the beginnings of it's own little residential neighborhood. Might bring in a smaller market to serve that population.

Also, all those places are with easy walking distance of Devon Tower and I'm sure many of their employees will take advantage.

And Classen Glen, a 48 unit condo complex as well as several modern houses that have popped up from architects. This area is primed for residential as well, just a little slower paced than the Triangle is.

Pete
08-22-2008, 05:21 PM
metro, are you also hearing 10-20 stories?

metro
08-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I've heard 5-10, but I have an "inside source" that tells me Rick Dowell is pretty firm on doing something there. Knowing Rick Dowell (or even not), we all know he doesn't rush into doing anything, so for him to already start landscaping on the parking lot says something as well as I've heard from several insiders and adjacent property owners say he's about ready to do something. He also recently attended a city council meeting or some committee meeting to get permission for the landscaping, so something must be shaping up soon.

tuck
08-23-2008, 06:18 PM
We have just moved our offices to NW 5th and Dewey / nw corner...love the view of downtown.

soonerguru
08-23-2008, 08:30 PM
I think I know the lot you're talking about. That is the best view of downtown in the city, and it's perched on a hill. A medium to high rise there would be killer. I also know of a small-scale project that will offer rental townhomes near 4th and Walker -- it's in the early, early planning stages. There's another vacant lot in that stretch that may be condos, as well, but I cannot confirm it....yet.

I really kind of like Rick Dowell. He's pissed about everyone off downtown at one time or another and he certainly marches to the beat of his own drummer.

metro
08-23-2008, 10:36 PM
guru I know the person well that has the unannounced 4th and Dewey project (walker is legacy arts)

wsucougz
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
We have just moved our offices to NW 5th and Dewey / nw corner...love the view of downtown.

Tuck - are there any plans yet for the vacant lots next to your new digs?

metro
08-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Wsu, yes read the above posts and it will answer your question

wsucougz
08-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Wsu, yes read the above posts and it will answer your question

I'm talking about the lots owned by A Good Egg between Dewey and Lee. Tuck had mentioned Dewey and Walker - maybe that's what he meant, or maybe I missed something.

shane453
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I had an inkling about Dowell's highrise back in 2005... MAPS impact study had a chart with downtown apartments, which included "highrise apartments - 250 units - final phase of Rick Dowell's Midtown Plaza, no details."

Kind of forgot about it though. Cool that it's getting closer to reality if there's a buzz about it.

CCOKC
08-24-2008, 10:10 PM
My husband and I looked at leasing from Mr Dowell on 4th and Walker last year. We loved the property and the other properties he showed us but we were too afraid we would lose a lot of our older clients who are afraid of downtown and any change for that matter. You guys talking about all of this activity makes me somewhat wish we had chosen that office.

metro
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
CCOKC, if you were wanting downtown and respect your older clients, why not choose his NW 4th and Walker location? It's fairly suburban in design with a decent sized parking lot in front. That way you're still downtown but have easy in out access with low traffic in this part of downtown that would still cater to your older customer.

CCOKC
08-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I here what you are saying and we discussed that at length. But after meeting our clients through the course of the last busy season we are worried that they would not even give us a chance at that location. Hell, we are worried that some of them won't be able to find us when we move 5 blocks next week. Most of our clients are in the far western part of the metro and feel put out if they have to drive too far to get to our office. We have so many clients that 98 % of them have to come to us at least twice a year. It's not fair and we feel like we may be priced out of the midtown market if we wait too much longer but for now this is the best way to keep the majority of the clientel that we have.
We are still looking to move closer to downtown as soon as the kids are both in college in two years. Our office will be at 14th and Council and it's not that far to drive downtown from there.