View Full Version : What use to be in its place?

Jesseda
08-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Okay I have some questions that maybe all you can answer, I have lived in oklahoma since a baby back in the early 80s. What used to be in place of crossroads mall? Also what use to be in place of interstate 240 was it a annexed town around penn and may 240, I see lots of churches and businesses that say southern hills? Why?

NativeOkie
08-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Found a picture from Feb. 74 Aerial, Not much around Crossroads mall.
It was on the OK. Historical Society site.
For what ever reason it would not paste to this response.
I will try again on my computer. a real one MAC.

bornhere
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Southern Hills was definitely not a town or township. There may have been a subdivision, and there is (or was) a Southern Hills Country Club.

bornhere
08-26-2008, 01:16 PM
To correct myself... Southern Hills is in Tulsa. The country club I was thinking of is called Willow Creek, but I would almost swear it once had another name.

edcrunk
08-26-2008, 01:37 PM
I will try again on my computer. a real one MAC.
you mean a trendy one, right?

:tiphat:

Generals64
08-26-2008, 01:44 PM
To correct myself... Southern Hills is in Tulsa. The country club I was thinking of is called Willow Creek, but I would almost swear it once had another name.

Southern Hills was a development of C.A. Henderson..They attached the name to the Shopping Center at 74th/S. Penn. Thus the different places began to attach the name i.e. Souther Hills elementary school. Willow Creek Country Club will always be
Hillcrest Country Club to me however.

see ya next time:..................

Generals64
08-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay I have some questions that maybe all you can answer, I have lived in oklahoma since a baby back in the early 80s. What used to be in place of crossroads mall? Also what use to be in place of interstate 240 was it a annexed town around penn and may 240, I see lots of churches and businesses that say southern hills? Why?
Interstate 240 was just a way to go around OKC from the south to the north. It actually added south where it starts back north west of May Ave. The hair pin curve was so sharp that there were numerous accidents. That area was really just farmland in the early sixties........

Patrick
08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Southern Hills is a housing addition.

I-240 used to be SW 74th St. (or whatever the street is that surrounds it).

Crossroads Mall used to be an empty field.

NativeOkie
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Ask Doug!

Prunepicker
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM

Are you talking about the CC between S.W. 59th and I-240? If so it was originally called Hillcrest.

Prunepicker
08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I-240 used to be SW 74th St. (or whatever the street is that surrounds it).

It's commonly called 74th Expressway by the southsiders.

SoonerDave
08-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Really? Must admit, I've lived on the south side of OKC (almost) all my life and I've never heard that term.

Crossroads Mall was a from-scratch construction that started way the heck back in the early 70's; I want to say 1972, but I won't swear to that. They actually had to start building it twice - the first skeletal framework was twisted up by a small tornado that blew threw shortly after construction started. That tornado started about 100 yards west of my house - I remember to this day how it looked as it spun up practically in my back yard. It was one of these "out of nowhere" tornadoes that received almost no warning, and only Ross Dixon of old Channel 5 finally came on the air with a tornado warning about it after it had passed. Scared the splorch outa me...think I was all of eight at the time...

Martin
08-26-2008, 07:47 PM
it's commonly called 74th expressway by the southsiders.

really? must admit, i've lived on the south side of okc (almost) all my life and i've never heard that term.

i've never used the term '74th expressway' but often refer to i-240 as '74th'... i sure as hell never call it 'keith leftwich memorial loop'

-M

ssandedoc
08-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Never heard of that either, and I've lived on the south side.

Prunepicker
08-26-2008, 08:04 PM
i've never used the term '74th expressway' but often refer to i-240 as '74th'... i sure as hell never call it 'keith leftwich memorial loop'

-M

Maybe I should have said that when I lived on S.W. 63rd & May from 59-70 that's all the folks around there called it. I still do. It was built in the early 60's. The designation I-240 didn't come around until way later. Middle 70's maybe?

Have any of you, that haven't called it '74th Expressway', ever heard of 'Dead Man's Curve'?

Generals64
08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Maybe I should have said that when I lived on S.W. 63rd & May from 59-70 that's all the folks around there called it. I still do. It was built in the early 60's. The designation I-240 didn't come around until way later. Middle 70's maybe?

Have any of you, that haven't called it '74th Expressway', ever heard of 'Dead Man's Curve'?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Not only heard of it ,....saw one major car wreck there.....saw plenty of wrecks there but this one, My wife was going to Central State (that's what it was called) and was taking a first aid class, and there two carloads of kids racing and no where to go. One of the kids was thrown from the car, hit a guard rail and laid his leg open blood everywhere. She knew what to do until the ambulances got there. I was glad when they shut it down and rebuilt.......Bad memories...kid in the other car wasn't so lucky.......

see ya next time:.................................

Prunepicker
08-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Not only heard of it , saw one major car wreck there... saw plenty of wrecks there but this one, My wife was going to Central State (that's what it was called) and was taking a first aid class, and there two carloads of kids racing and no where to go. One of the kids was thrown from the car, hit a guard rail and laid his leg open blood everywhere. She knew what to do until the ambulances got there. I was glad when they shut it down and rebuilt... Bad memories... kid in the other car wasn't so lucky... see ya next time...

I was riding with a buddy in a Triumph TR4. We hit the curve at about 65mph. There was a 16 wheeler in the right lane. As we approached the truck the car started scooting under the trailer. The windshield cleared by about 4 or 5 inches. He pulled out from under the truck when we hit due south on US 62. That was the first time I'd ever seen the under side of one of those. It was rather thrilling, read scared to death. That was the last time we tried to see how fast we could make the curve if a truck was there.

Quite often a propane truck would turn over and we'd have to evacuate the neighborhood for a couple of hours until the gas dissipated.

Jesseda
08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
so there was no towns that where annexed between moore and okc? Also when they built the airport i heard where will rogers is now used to be a town, was it a good size town? or a ghost town. Does the cememtery off meridian at the airport part of the old towns cemetery? Its just odd one of the first things people see when leaving and coming to the airport is a cememtery oh god i cant spell cemetry? where is the spell check at?

wsucougz
08-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah, what's the deal with the cemnemtemary? I want to know about the cemtemary.

Cemnemary.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
That's where they buried the survivors.