View Full Version : Where are the state flags

westsidesooner
08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Where are all the state flags? If you've ever been to Texas you'll know what I'm talking about. Every Bank, every car dealer, every restaurant, and almost every home has a Texas flag outside.

With all the state pride Oklahomans have it surprises me how few state flags you actually see around town. I know we're just as proud as Texans. Heck try to even find a Oklahoma flag anywhere.....it's not that easy There seems to be 10 OU flags for every state flag you see. wassup with that?

SoonerDave
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Texas' state flag is more deeply intertwined in their state culture than most/all other state flags. Most Texans hold the fact that they are a republic and actually have the technical authority to cede from the union if they chose. As a result, it is, for lack of a better term, more "integrated" into their state "fabric."

NativeOkie
08-25-2008, 05:39 PM
The OU flag is actually better than the state flag.
for contrast purposes.
Our flag blends in with the sky. It's the stealth flag.
there are actually thousands of them you just can see them.
(this is a joke) some on this sight have difficulty understanding.

jsibelius
08-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Texas' state flag is more deeply intertwined in their state culture than most/all other state flags. Most Texans hold the fact that they are a republic and actually have the technical authority to cede from the union if they chose. As a result, it is, for lack of a better term, more "integrated" into their state "fabric."

You're right on the first point, but not on the second. The Texas state flag is HIGHly intertwined with state culture and identity, probably more than just about anywhere. But it's a myth of very long standing that they have the continuing right to secede. That ended, I believe when they were allowed back into the union after the Civil War.

westsidesooner
08-26-2008, 08:58 AM

Texas' flag is deeply inertwined in their culture, and it should be. Texas has a fascinating history, probably more than any other state west of the mississippi. But the state flag of Texas doesn't tell a story quite as well as the Oklahoma flag does. While countless thousands died protecting Texas and their right to remain free, countless more peole died enroute to Oklahoma and our flag honors them. The history and symbolism involved in the Oklahoma state flag goes back well before Texas was its own country. And we should be as proud of it as they are of their flag.

for contrast purposes.

Yes the OU flag does have more contrast against a skyblue background than the state flag does. And I have to admit I chuckled when I read the stealth comment...nothing could be more true. I have an OU flag and it flies outside often, it'll be up first thing Saturday morning. An OSU flag hangs outside from time to time as well.

In my original post I not only was surprised at how few flags you could see around the state, but how few retailers actually sell them. It's much easier to find an OU or an OSU flag than a state flag. Sad!!

One more thing. Do a google image search for "state flag of Oklahoma" and see how many variations of blue you see on the first page alone. OU use to have a similar color identity problem with their crimson but I havent noticed that as much lately. It would be nice if I could say the same thing about the state flag. Okalhoma should and Oklahomans should not allow these descrepencies. Wheres the Pride?

SoonerDave
08-26-2008, 05:09 PM
You're right on the first point, but not on the second. The Texas state flag is HIGHly intertwined with state culture and identity, probably more than just about anywhere. But it's a myth of very long standing that they have the continuing right to secede. That ended, I believe when they were allowed back into the union after the Civil War.

There were no explicit provisions either way regarding Texas' right to secede following the Civil War. Texas did surrender land area throughout the southern midwest as part of their return. Some Texans do hold that there is no explicit prohibition of secession, thus necessarily implying that the right exists. Obviously, it is highly unlikely the matter will ever be tested, so its a bit of a moot debate...

CCOKC
08-26-2008, 11:58 PM
I was in NYC about 10 years ago and sat down in a Sbarros to eat lunch with a woman I had never met. (People do that in NYC). She was from East Germany and was a clothing designer. When I told her I was from OKC she said she knew us well as she sold some of her clothes to Balliets. She also told me a friend drove her through Nichols Hills and she commented to her friend that she was surprised to see so many communists in Oklahoma. Of course the guy had no idea what she was talking about. She said in East Germany communists flew red flags in front of their houses. I don't think her friend corrected her because I was the one to tell her what red flags mean here. I am sure those people flying their OU flags would be appalled to find someone thought they were Communists.
Of course I thought it was funny but I have an orange flag outside my house.

jsibelius
08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Texas did surrender land area throughout the southern midwest as part of their return.

They did? Where?

(I have no argument with the rest of your statement, I suppose.)

Thunder
08-27-2008, 08:44 PM
The MWC Welcome Center on 29th across from TAFB has the Oklahoma state flag.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
sight [/B]have difficulty understanding.

LOLZ at the irony

traxx
08-28-2008, 10:21 AM
for contrast purposes.

Although said in jest, I think this is actually true. I see Oklahoma flags in front of banks and what not but they're just not that noticable. Plus our state flag has too much going on, on it. Contrast ours to Texas'. Texas' flag is a perfect exercise in simplicity: the bold red white and blue colors, only two stripes and a large blue field emblazoned with a big white star. Texas' flag is more recognizable than any other flag in the union.

Dana
08-31-2008, 10:57 AM
I have a state flag and used to fly it proudly but not anymore. After what the state of Oklahoma is allowing to happen to me even though they know it is illegal I am not so proud to fly my flag anymore. So for now it is rolled up and put away when the injustice that is being done to me stops I will once again fly my flag.