View Full Version : Plow

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Fantastic
08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
If we could get a volunteer or two to take some photos, we can post them here and call out the owners.

This is one of those times I wish I lived in town because I would gladly do it myself if I could.

I've got a bunch of pics from a few weeks ago. We just moved though, and the computer room hasn't been set up yet (only get to be on the grid for a little while when I'm at work), I'll get them up here as soon as I can

Dan L
08-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Every time I walk by this building, I think of the potential of what it could become. The look of the building and the location makes me wonder why it has not been redeveloped. Of course, I don't know the challenges and the money that would be required to make this happen.

Pete
08-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Here are photos from today from our man Sid.

This building is in horrific shape with graffiti, rusty canopies, broken windows, etc. Very highly visible location as well:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312d.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312e.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312g.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockisland82312h.jpg

Urbanized
08-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Be careful not to get the demolition drumbeat started...

That said, I do think it is possible for the average Joe to envision that building renovated than say, a derelict building in the CBD, because Bricktown offers so many examples of buildings of the same type and character that HAVE been rehabilitated.

Pete
08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
This property also includes the small lot immediately to the west that contains about 32 surface parking spaces, which would almost serve an office and/or residential use. And of course, there is plenty of additional parking immediately adjacent.

And I was wrong when I said they have owned this for 8 years... It's actually been 9.5.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rockislandaerial.jpg

betts
08-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Be careful not to get the demolition drumbeat started...

That said, I do think it is possible for the average Joe to envision that building renovated than say, a derelict building in the CBD, because Bricktown offers so many examples of buildings of the same type and character that HAVE been rehabilitated.

I don't think anyone is talking demolition. That would be tragic. While I would love to see the building renovated, I'd at least be somewhat satisfied to see an attempt by the owner to maintain the building's structural integrity. Put in some windows, repair anything that leaks or makes the building available to squatters of the human or animal kind.

Pete
08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
There are very few completely boarded up buildings left in the downtown area, so this building deserves scrutiny.

It's located right in the middle of hundreds of millions of public investment and is allowed to sit in this condition by a family that purports to be great supporters of Bricktown and OKC in general.

And they've owned it for almost a decade.

This just simply is not acceptable, especially for such a high-visibility structure in OKC's main district for visitors.

Pete
08-23-2012, 12:06 PM
If they can't afford to maintain it, they need to sell it.

metro
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
There are very few completely boarded up buildings left in the downtown area, so this building deserves scrutiny.

It's located right in the middle of hundreds of millions of public investment and is allowed to sit in this condition by a family that purports to be great supporters of Bricktown and OKC in general.

And they've owned it for almost a decade.

This just simply is not acceptable, especially for such a high-visibility structure in OKC's main district for visitors.

Not to mention this family is not hurting for money. There is no excuse for the decade of neglect.

Pete
08-23-2012, 12:17 PM
BTW, Scaramucci receives income on that property in the form of paid parking.

Property taxes last year were $16,000.

If they were losing a ton of money they wouldn't have sat on this building for a full decade.

Bullbear
08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I have always loved this building. I remember probably 5 years ago they were wroking on some of the windows and I was optimistic.. then they boarded them back up. so many great things could happen with it.. residential or retail.. sad to see it in this condition just wasting away. they need to sell to someone with vision and cash to make it happen.

onthestrip
08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Definitely is a shame its remained this way for so long, especially in such a great location. It probably had millions of people walking right by it in the last year alone. I can picture in my head how great it would look with new windows and repainting the Rock Island signage at the top of the building.

Urbanized
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't think anyone is talking demolition...
Not yet. It's probably just a matter of time before someone starts advocating it in this very thread. There is a certain contingent in the world that is so angered at the site of an old and currently unproductive building that they would rather see a gravel lot.

OKCisOK4me
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I am more motivated to sneak out there tonight and swash the graffiti off.

Speaking of, hold off on swashing your cars until this rain moves past ;-)

Fantastic
08-23-2012, 03:11 PM

I'll meet you there! Maybe we could get arrested for trespassing. Imagine the media firestorm that would come out of that. "Urban Renewal Advocates Arrested For Removing Graffiti From Ignored Building"

CaptDave
08-23-2012, 03:47 PM
I'll meet you there! Maybe we could get arrested for trespassing. Imagine the media firestorm that would come out of that. "Urban Renewal Advocates Arrested For Removing Graffiti From Ignored Building"

I am not much of a scofflaw but THAT would be kind of cool....:D

heyerdahl
08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
BTW, Scaramucci receives income on that property in the form of paid parking.

Property taxes last year were $16,000.

If they were losing a ton of money they wouldn't have sat on this building for a full decade.

Assuming 20 cars park there each day, the revenue from parking would be close to $40,000 per year. That's probably a pretty big underestimate considering there are 32 parking spaces and most cars will only stay a few hours at a time.

Even better, imagine that for 40 home Thunder games, all 32 spaces are filled for $10- this is about $13,000, or almost all of their property taxes, paid by 40 nights of the year. Not sure what the actual price in this lot is for Thunder games.

Urbanized
08-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Twenty cars a day would be a bad assumption. That lot is not utilized on a daily basis, and is generally only available to parkers on event nights. I think that lot has historically been $10 on Thunder game nights, though I believe it took a somewhat controversial uptick during late rounds of the playoffs this past season. I'm not saying this to defend or attack the ownership; only to assist you in your math.

dankrutka
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
What about standing on that corner with signs saying, "Avis Scaramucci is acting douchey!" Shame is a powerful tool.

catch22
08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Can someone make a rendering (but using very realistic graphics) of this building brought back to life? Maybe we could put a sign up in front of the building on the sidewalk with a rendering of what could be, but put in clearly bold titles "THIS RENDERING WILL NOT HAPPEN WITH CURRENT OWNERS. SAME OWNERSHIP FOR 10 YEARS WITH NO IMPROVEMENTS"

Steve
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
For what it's worth ... I think the message has been heard....

catch22
08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
For what it's worth ... I think the message has been heard....

Clarify?

Urbanized
08-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Also - and I'm not saying I'm not disappointed the building hasn't been developed more quickly (or at all) - but it's not quite accurate to say the building has graffiti on it. I walk past that building many times a week, and as far as I recall I have never seen spray paint or marker graffiti of any kind (I'm always on the lookout and make tagging reports to the City's action line with regularity).

The only thing I have ever seen is chalk left by wedding/engagement/graduation photographers. It is a very regular occurrence for photographers to pose people in front of the building, or sitting in first floor window sills, with their name and significant date and maybe a heart written in white chalk on the red brick or red-painted plywood that covers the windows. I suppose that meets the technical definition of graffiti, but it's not the type that most of us would think of or be especially troubled by.

jedicurt
08-24-2012, 09:26 AM

sounds like an idea... lets plan a night to go out into bricktown and remove graffiti! although i'm sure that is a crime as well... but an awesome one to get arrested for

Fantastic
08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
The only thing I have ever seen is chalk left by wedding/engagement/graduation photographers.

And teenagers... example: J.L. + K.B. = <3

Whatever the case may be it's annoying... and one day, after work I'm going to scrub all that chalk and/or sharpie writing right off the walls (don't worry, Chad... I'll bring a change of clothes and a Ronald Regan mask, no one will recognize me)

Fantastic
08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
sounds like an idea... lets plan a night to go out into bricktown and remove graffiti! although i'm sure that is a crime as well... but an awesome one to get arrested for

I'm telling you... let's do it!

Urbanized
08-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I know it is splitting hairs, but I think J.L. + K.B. = <3 is one of the aforementioned engagement/wedding photos. Actually I always sortof enjoy seeing those photo shoots going on. Tells me that Bricktown is important/appealing enough to people for them to use it as a backdrop in memorializing one of the most important events in their lives. That said, they should do the right thing and scrub off the chalk when they finish.

Pete
08-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Also, the average person would not be able to distinguish these photo chalkings from regular graffiti and thus it sill reflects badly on Bricktown and the whole community.

Fantastic
08-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I know it is splitting hairs, but I think J.L. + K.B. = <3 is one of the aforementioned engagement/wedding photos. Actually I always sortof enjoy seeing those photo shoots going on. Tells me that Bricktown is important/appealing enough to people for them to use it as a backdrop in memorializing one of the most important events in their lives. That said, they should do the right thing and scrub off the chalk when they finish.

I don't disagree on any particular point, and I'm very much with you that when they are done, they should remove it. If one wants such a thing in thier wedding/engagement photos I'm acctually all for it and I think it is pretty awsome in that way. However I also believe that proper channels should be taken. Specifically, the property owner and/or manager should be approached and requested for permission, and the "decoration" should be removed afterward. Not doing so, by definition is graffiti, defacement of property and inappropriate, and while the building itself is a horrible display of a lack of civil responsibility, not to mention a monument to failure, adding these cute little "I heart so-and-so's" to the side of the building just adds to the annoyance. If "I heart so-and-so" looks stupid on a middle school student's bookcover, what idiot would think it looked awsome on the side of a building (not talking about you, Urbanized, as you established that you also advocate the removal of the writings... thought I should make that clear)

It's just irritating!

RodH
08-24-2012, 02:05 PM
If people are using the building for a backdrop for romantic photos how bad can it look?

Pete
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm sure they are using it for an urban decay type of setting; in other words, because it does look so rough:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/heatherdbullard/Untitled-2-14.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/artbykriea/allison/IMG_6809.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg113/artbykriea/Jeni/IMG_6863.jpg

Skyline
08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Okay, I get it now (after seeing these pics), the owners are going for the vintage, abandoned, neglected, strictly for photo opportunities. I must say they are doing a good job with this, nicely done. j/k

..... Side note, what is up with the middle pic above? The guy looking down on the girl with the smirk. This looks like the break up photo, opposite of engagement.

Just the facts
08-24-2012, 03:23 PM
..... Side note, what is up with the middle pic above? The guy looking down on the girl with the smirk. This looks like the break up photo, opposite of engagement.

She's thinking, "I might have screwed up. I can do better."

soonerguru
08-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Okay, I get it now (after seeing these pics), the owners are going for the vintage, abandoned, neglected, strictly for photo opportunities. I must say they are doing a good job with this, nicely done. j/k

I think he just let her know that he's actually gay.

Urbanized
08-24-2012, 04:19 PM
If you search "Bricktown engagement photos" on Google Image Search you'll see many examples of this type of session, and a number of local photographers who do them with regularity throughout old and new parts of the district. By the way, the top right photo is actually in front of the Rock Island Plow Building, on Reno.

Fantastic
08-24-2012, 05:01 PM
If you search "Bricktown engagement photos" on Google Image Search you'll see many examples of this type of session, and a number of local photographers who do them with regularity throughout old and new parts of the district. By the way, the top right photo is actually in front of the Rock Island Plow Building, on Reno.

The issue isn't people taking pictures in front of the building (or any other building for that matter), I personally think that is awsome, and it makes me proud to work in an area where people want to do that, whether it's for the abandoned urban look in front of Rock Island Plow Building (or the buildings along Main St, and in the alley between Main & Sheridan) or for the beautiful landscaping on the South End. Either way it's great. The issue is the lack of respect for the property in regards to the writings on the side of the building...

but then again, if the property owners themselves don't respect it, why should anyone else. (Personal opinion)

metro
08-25-2012, 10:59 AM

To add to the title...owned by a prominent OKC family.

metro
08-25-2012, 11:06 AM
What about standing on that corner with signs saying, "Avis Scaramucci is acting douchey!" Shame is a powerful tool.

LOL. Just put a big banner on the building saying "The Scarmucci Family, owners of Nonnas have neglected this building for a decade. Make your Nonnas reservations now."

Let's not forget their son, owns the large OKC Company Balon Valve, and a part owner in the Thunder.

TaoMaas
08-25-2012, 11:19 AM
LOL. Just put a big banner on the building saying "The Scarmucci Family, owners of Nonnas have neglected this building for a decade. Make your Nonnas reservations now."

Let's not forget their son, owns the large OKC Company Balon Valve, and a part owner in the Thunder.

WTH? Avis & family own this? Considering the investment they've made in Bricktown and the Skirvin, I find it very hard to believe that they're going to let this building go unused. I suspect they're waiting on OKC to catch up to them.

Urbanized
08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
...Let's not forget their son, owns the large OKC Company Balon Valve, and a part owner in the Thunder.
OK, that is not correct, although you're right about there being a Balon connection.

Listen, FWIW Steve says the message on this board has been received. I would tend to believe Steve on this one. It's fair to say that the lack of development/attention specific to this building has been disappointing, but the flip side of that coin is apparently this building was in real structural trouble before they took it on, and they spent quite a bit simply on stabilizing it. I doubt the development timeline was what they had originally hoped either. Sometimes pulling off the types of projects this building calls for is far more difficult than it appears on the surface.

I have certainly not always agreed with Avis (she would say the same about me), but I think talk about picketing, defacing a building, or dragging someone's name through the mud, whether anonymously on here or publicly though some sort of stunt is excessive. What they have done with that building is a mixed bag so far, but don't forget that the family has also been involved in developing Level, dramatically redeveloping the Sheridan-Mickey Mantle corner, bringing the Thunder to OKC, supporting tons of non-profits and events (a number of which are downtown-focused) and plenty of other good things for the city. Maybe dial back the rhetoric and public namecalling.

It's fair and appropriate that people here have criticized the current state of the building, but let's trust Steve for the moment that the message of this thread was received and see what unfolds from this point forward.

Steve
08-25-2012, 05:42 PM
For what it's worth, I'll never discourage freedom of speech and that wasn't my intent. I was only noting that from recent conversations it's my understanding they are aware there is a growing frustration with the condition of this building.

Urbanized
08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey, freedom of speech is cool. Criticizing the state of the building is fine too. Please, carry on if so inclined.

Namecalling, etc., not so much.

Steve
08-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I agree. Picket if you want to. Criticize their ownership. But using the d-word to publicly criticize someone? Meh. Not a big fan of that.

dankrutka
08-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I agree. Picket if you want to. Criticize their ownership. But using the d-word to publicly criticize someone? Meh. Not a big fan of that.

For the record, I jokingly used it because it rhymed with Scaramucci. Let's not take ourselves too seriously.

dankrutka
08-25-2012, 10:18 PM
But I believe that public shaming is about the only option that will probably have an effect. They've had 10 years with criticism, and don't seem to care. People with their resources should be embarrassed to have left this building in such disrepair in the heart of Bricktown.

catch22
08-26-2012, 07:50 AM
But I believe that public shaming is about the only option that will probably have an effect. They've had 10 years with criticism, and don't seem to care. People with their resources should be embarrassed to have left this building in such disrepair in the heart of Bricktown.
And especially if offers have been made that have been turned down.

Steve
08-26-2012, 11:01 AM
For the record, I jokingly used it because it rhymed with Scaramucci. Let's not take ourselves too seriously.

Sorry. Sometimes humor gets lost in these threads.... you can surely admit this thread was taking on a "torches and pitchforks" kind of vibe....

wschnitt
08-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Sorry. Sometimes humor gets lost in these threads.... you can surely admit this thread was taking on a "torches and pitchforks" kind of vibe....

I was kinda confused by the "Scaramucci is Douchy" but now it is funny. "torches, pitchforks and grafitti scrubbers"

dankrutka
08-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Understood. No worries. I think the negative vibe just emanates from the growing frustration every year or so when we revisit how they not only won't develop the property or sell to someone who will, but they won't even maintain it to a decent level. When you put yourself in the spotlight as an advocate of an area it's not wise to completely drop the ball. She looks like a hypocrit...

Pete
08-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Ironic that Avis is chair of the Bricktown Design Review Committee, a group that is charged with keeping high aesthetic standards in the district.

She's also president of the Bricktown Association.

Steve
08-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Ironic that Avis is chair of the Bricktown Design Review Committee, a group that is charged with keeping high aesthetic standards in the district.

She's also president of the Bricktown Association.

I've noted that myself....

Just the facts
08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
While watching the documentary Urbanized a young lady in New Orleans came up with a great idea for just such an occasion like this. She puts little stickers on the building (which are easily removed) so people in the area can tell the owner what they would like to see there instead of an abandoned building. I thought it was a great idea.

http://iwishthiswas.cc/

http://iwishthiswas.cc/main/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/4e0acdeac92b2.image_.jpg

flintysooner
08-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Even better would be to actually produce a successful development.

kevinpate
08-27-2012, 07:37 AM
The little suggestion cards sparked a memory, or I think it is a memory anyway. Didn't someone in the metro (Steve Mason perhaps) a while back do a contest or some form of discussion event along the lines of "what do you think ought to happen here" for an area being developed?

Might be interesting to see what would percolate if the Rock Plow owners did something along such lines.

Mr. Cotter
08-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Popularize? https://popularise.com/cities/4/neighborhoods/11/projects/13

metro
08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
The little suggestion cards sparked a memory, or I think it is a memory anyway. Didn't someone in the metro (Steve Mason perhaps) a while back do a contest or some form of discussion event along the lines of "what do you think ought to happen here" for an area being developed?

Might be interesting to see what would percolate if the Rock Plow owners did something along such lines.
Yes it was Mason

metro
08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Popularize? https://popularise.com/cities/4/neighborhoods/11/projects/13

Is this the same Mr. Cotter who owns Chase Tower? If so, I'd like to see the base of that building cleaned up as well, not to mention the Underground entrance fiasco.

Mr. Cotter
08-27-2012, 09:14 AM
No. I work in "Cotter Ranch Tower." Mr. Cotter is an octogenarian cowboy who wears suits with his logo stitched on the back. I'm just enamored by a guy who buys an office tower and puts a statute of himself mounted on a horse in front of it.

metro
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Lol

Steve
08-27-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm amused. Good question Metro!