View Full Version : Plow

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

betts
11-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Read Jeff Allen's comments, not the broker's comments. Yeah, they're still moving to Bricktown.

Good to know. While I'd like to see more retail and/or restaurants and clubs in Bricktown, anything that creates restoration of previously unrestored buildings in Bricktown is a good thing, IMO.

G.Walker
01-09-2011, 07:16 AM
CONSTRUCTIONWIRE #1902458 (UPDATED: 7/13/2010)
Historic Loft & Entertainment Project
Project Information
Project Type:Cultural/Social, Residential - MultiFamily (Apartments/Condos), Retail (Shops/Restaurants)
Estimated Value:$5~25 million
Sector:Private
Construction Schedule:Planning and approval stage
Details:
Plans call for renovations to two buildings to serve as a historic loft and entertainment project at Bricktown Canal.

Contact Information
Owner; Developer**
Harding & Shelton Incorporated
516 West California Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Project News & Notes
July 13, 2010
General/Other
As of 7/12/10, Harding and Shelton plan to go forward with this project, but have downscaled the plans, due to the economy.

Anybody have more details about this?

warreng88
01-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Here is an old thread on it:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=13938&page=1

Spartan
01-09-2011, 01:15 PM
It's the Bricktown Gateway/Red Ball project. There's a website for it somewhere, but it was going to be a MUCH larger project but the economy whittled it down and took out the new construction.

G.Walker
01-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Well with the economy improving, maybe they will go back to original plans...

USG'60
01-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Toward the end of the old thread referenced above, Harding and Shelton sold the property, so now they have it back or WHAT?? Do we know who is overseeing it at his point?

Spartan
01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Well with the economy improving, maybe they will go back to original plans...

It's doubtful. Now that I remember more, I think the Red Ball project was a completely different thing from this Bricktown Gateway project. Red Ball was going to involve some restoration, structured parking, and a later phase with new construction (south of Zio's along Reno). But for the time being it will be great to see some new life to the upper canal. Bricktown is just in desperate need of something new..it has to stay fresh. I myself haven't found any reason to spend an evening there in a long time, and my hangouts these days have been more along the lines of Midtown, 9th Street, Plaza, etc.

Locals and people intimately familiar with the urban parts are going to be looking for something new. Bricktown hasn't been able to offer that, although it certainly doesn't seem to have lost popularity with the OKC Arena crowds, visitors, and suburbanites.

okclee
03-28-2011, 10:51 AM
I find it unbelievable that Rock Island Plow continues to sit vacant after all of these years.

Any updates?

Popsy
03-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Perhaps I can give you an update on the Red Ball Building. My son, an electrician, did some work there a few weeks ago and was told it would be a dental office with residence above. The dentist the work is being done for will be graduating from dental school this year.

metro
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Red Ball building?

Spartan
03-30-2011, 03:51 AM
It's west of the Plow Building.

Patrick
03-31-2011, 03:05 PM
It's doubtful. Now that I remember more, I think the Red Ball project was a completely different thing from this Bricktown Gateway project. Red Ball was going to involve some restoration, structured parking, and a later phase with new construction (south of Zio's along Reno). But for the time being it will be great to see some new life to the upper canal. Bricktown is just in desperate need of something new..it has to stay fresh. I myself haven't found any reason to spend an evening there in a long time, and my hangouts these days have been more along the lines of Midtown, 9th Street, Plaza, etc.

Locals and people intimately familiar with the urban parts are going to be looking for something new. Bricktown hasn't been able to offer that, although it certainly doesn't seem to have lost popularity with the OKC Arena crowds, visitors, and suburbanites.

Really I think all entertainment districts stalemate like this, mostly among the locals. But tourists still find them interesting. Just look at the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Most locals in SA don't give the Riverwalk a second thought, but tourists just love it. Bricktown should really be geared towards tourists anyways.

G.Walker
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Someone please renovate this building, it sits in the heart of Bricktown, and its an eyesore, if I had the money, I would buy this building and renovate into offices asap. This would be my first project in my portfolio.
As of July 28, 2011

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo05/76/14/6579f7fc4c49__1311875081000.jpg

onthestrip
07-28-2011, 12:17 PM
It is a shame that this building has sat like this for so long. It's one of the best spots in bricktown too.

city
07-28-2011, 12:48 PM
It is a shame that this building has sat like this for so long. It's one of the best spots in bricktown too.

It's a great building. Owners want over 3 million in its present state. With state historical tax credits under a moratorium it would be verrrry hard to do.

betts
07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
It breaks my heart that it just sits there, with broken windows. It has so much potential. I hate the fact that people can buy buildings like this and just hang onto them unimproved. It seems like we could at least require that the windows be reglazed with a city ordinance.

Spartan
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe there should be a look at replicating Tulsa's eyesore building ordinance, which charges the worst problem owners an exorbitant free PER DAY they are out of code compliance (this building is clearly not in compliance) and force the owner's hand.

Rover
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
That's a great idea. And one for vacant lots. Can you get your guy Shadid to champion this?

Spartan
07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks Rover, and no, not possible unless you get your guys on the Committee for OKC Momentum to champion this. :-P

okcboy
07-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Owner?

Spartan
07-28-2011, 08:25 PM
That's where things get tricky...

Rover
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks Rover, and no, not possible unless you get your guys on the Committee for OKC Momentum to champion this. :-P

I wouldn't know where to start.

okcboy
07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
There was a quote from this owner in a BUDC once about that one family -"these are experienced developers and should know better". Kettle black?

okcboy
07-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Also disappointed this owner didn't fight harder to get the CC in bricktown being the president of BA and on CC committee. IMO. I always thought that was the best place as well.

Snowman
07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
It breaks my heart that it just sits there, with broken windows. It has so much potential. I hate the fact that people can buy buildings like this and just hang onto them unimproved. It seems like we could at least require that the windows be reglazed with a city ordinance.

The city planing commission and the council starting to looking into some new changes to make sitting on properties that are abandon less appealing to the owners a couple months ago.

okcboy
07-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Areas like this always seem to start by a person/s with a little money, a dream, and a little luck and support. Im not sure more goverment will make things better. We are growing at a great pace and evolving nicely. It just takes time. I jab at this owner a little but they have the resources and I am confident when the time arises will make this property special.

metro
07-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Prettybsure there IS a city ordinance requiring broken windows to be fixed. The city is bad a enforcing it, even if you file a complaint.

betts
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
If they have the resources, tell them to replace the windows, if nothing else. Their condition makes a wonderful building an eyesore. Government isn't necessary if people will do what they should. It's when they don't that we start talking about it.

Snowman
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Prettybsure there IS a city ordinance requiring broken windows to be fixed. The city is bad a enforcing it, even if you file a complaint.

They are 'secured', but still look bad. Like a quarter are boarded up by wood (possibly every one on the ground floor), all the remaining ones look like they need some work and several of the ones left look questionable that they need replaced entirely.

metro
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Doesnt the Scaramucci family own it? If so they have plenty of money and are squatting on it.

okcboy
07-28-2011, 11:14 PM
I say the BA president needs to lead by example. walk the walk if you talk the talk. We have enough chamber rubber stampers downtown. We need someone in bricktown to stand up and lead. Let's go.

Spartan
07-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Doesnt the Scaramucci family own it? If so they have plenty of money and are squatting on it.

A little late to the party on that one..

metro
07-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks homey

Skyline
08-29-2011, 03:01 PM
I was in Bricktown this past weekend and the entire area seemed to be at capacity. I was very impressed, people everywhere going every direction. Canal boats were full, I noticed the party bar boat and that group was having a great time. All ages, social and ethnic backgrounds were being represented Saturday night.

As I walked by this building (Rock Island) I wondered, what is the story with it? Why does the Uhaul building look better and have more life than this prime piece of property? Couldn't something be done to improve the exterior visually?

I'm sure someone has an affordable solution to improve this building. There is a large overhang structure along the west side, looks like the old loading docks. Let a band set up and play music under this, using the loading dock as a stage. Have an artist paint a huge mural on it, add advertising to the boarded up windows, Let the Thunder add a huge banner to this.

Does Bricktown not require property owners to manage the upkeep of abandoned buildings?

Larry OKC
08-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Skyline: think someone mentioned there is a requirement but the problem is enforcement

SNARKY COMMENT ALERT
Maybe if they utilized some City employees the way they used them to help shut down the food truck event....

metro
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Skyline: think someone mentioned there is a requirement but the problem is enforcement

SNARKY COMMENT ALERT
Maybe if they utilized some City employees the way they used them to help shut down the food truck event....
Something I can finally agree with Larry on!

Rover
08-31-2011, 02:39 PM

SNARKY COMMENT ALERT

Go park the food trucks around or in it and maybe they will.

Larry OKC
09-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Something I can finally agree with Larry on!

There may be something to the end of the world predictions sometime next year after all...metro, rcjunkie & Larry have agreed on various things recently. LOL

Spartan
09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Go park the food trucks around or in it and maybe they will.

But only as long as ABLE decides to leave the building standing. lol

Rover
09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
But only as long as ABLE decides to leave the building standing. lol

I think they just have hand guns, no howitzers.

mcca7596
09-10-2011, 05:42 PM
This thread way back talked about the Red Ball building west of the Rock Island Plow. Didn't want to start another thread; anyone know anything more about the Zios Building project?

Spartan
09-11-2011, 05:09 AM
It's just a run of the mill renovation. Will have the offices for an oil company above Zio's when finished. It will also be great to clean up the canal-level of that building.

mcca7596
09-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks Spartan.

Skyline
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure this is a real pic but someone sent this to me.

Urbanized
04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
It's real. It's been going up since yesterday.

G.Walker
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Yep, saw it on my way to the game last night...

HangryHippo
08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
After seeing a couple of small changes proposed to the Sherman Iron Works building in another thread, I started thinking how much of a difference it would be if the owners would just put a little into cleaning up the appearance of this building. I can't seem to get over what a waste of opportunity it is as it continues to linger in disrepair. Why won't the owners do something with this? Surely they could make a killing by turning this building into apartments with a shop(s)/watering hole on the bottom...?

Spartan
08-03-2012, 08:59 PM
After seeing a couple of small changes proposed to the Sherman Iron Works building in another thread, I started thinking how much of a difference it would be if the owners would just put a little into cleaning up the appearance of this building.

You mean if Avis took the wooden planks off of the windows??? Lol

HangryHippo
08-03-2012, 10:47 PM
That would be a nice first step, ha.

Skyline
08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Noticed a few of the boarded up windows have been partially torn off the lower level, looks like the work of vandals. Also more and more wall scribbling added since I had seen this building last.
What a sad building this is, it just cries out to me each time I see it.

HangryHippo
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
If you owned this property and money wasn't a concern, what would you do with this building?

Mr. Cotter
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Restaurant with bar and a live music stage on the first floor.
Vintage arcade on the second.
Laser tag on the third and fourth.

I think Bricktown needs more stuff to do.

betts
08-22-2012, 06:47 PM
I think the city should start fining the Scarmuccis. Or repair the building and send them the bill in the form of a tax lien. Unless the family is strapped financially, they should consider it their civic duty to at least protect and maintain this property.

Skyline
08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
.......................they should consider it their civic duty to at least protect and maintain this property.

..or, put the building up for sale.

soonerguru
08-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I think the city should start fining the Scarmuccis. Or repair the building and send them the bill in the form of a tax lien. Unless the family is strapped financially, they should consider it their civic duty to at least protect and maintain this property.

My initial fandom for Avis Scaramucci has quickly faded. I do give her credit for trying to do something for the city when she moved Nonna's, but she has never figured out how to utilize her bar space right.

HangryHippo
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I thought about this building tonight and it occurred to me that her son (Wade?) is an architect that is with a London firm. Why can't he draw up some plans for this building?

dankrutka
08-22-2012, 09:39 PM

This. They don't seem to care that they embarrass the city. Very disappointing.

Pete
08-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Could someone take/post some photos of this building?

If it really is that bad, a grassroots campaign to shame the owners into action might be very effective, especially since Avis is a prominent leader in Bricktown.

That building was purchased over eight years ago now and they either need to redevelop it or get it into the hands of someone who will. So much potential:

http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/sketches/picfile/2735/R020029575001tA.jpg

LakeEffect
08-23-2012, 09:18 AM
My initial fandom for Avis Scaramucci has quickly faded. I do give her credit for trying to do something for the city when she moved Nonna's, but she has never figured out how to utilize her bar space right.

This.

Pete
08-23-2012, 09:30 AM
If we could get a volunteer or two to take some photos, we can post them here and call out the owners.

This is one of those times I wish I lived in town because I would gladly do it myself if I could.