View Full Version : late night food concession

badfish77
08-24-2008, 11:11 PM
I was considering purchasing one of those concession trailers you see at events and fairs or what not. Something small, not too large or an eyesore, to sell late night food past 11pm in bricktown. Just curious if anyone knows an ordinance against this? As far as I can tell its legal as long as you dont block traffic and its 75 ft away from the canal. What type of food do you think would go off best? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

metro
08-25-2008, 07:46 AM
I think it's a great idea. A guy on this website was going to do it, but got busy with other stuff. I'd love to see tons more street vendors both in Bricktown and the CBD. Perhaps in the daytime you could pay a college student or someone to run it in the core of downtown and then you could man it on weekends in Bricktown? Hotdogs, Pretzels would be nice.

ultimatesooner
08-25-2008, 09:33 AM
tacos or fat sandwiches

BFizzy
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Taqueria style tacos
Gyros/Schwarmas
Hot dogs/Brats
Pizza

Steve
08-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Bobo's Chicken.
;)

amaesquire
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
How about fair food. Funnel cakes, corn dogs, roasted corn and those sorts of tasty treats. Although some good fried chicken would be nice. Just don't invite the shady characters that frequent(ed) BoBo's Chicken.

warreng88
08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Bobo's Chicken.
;)

I was going to post the same thing and then I thought, "Too soon?"

GWB
08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
I was considering purchasing one of those concession trailers you see at events and fairs or what not. Something small, not too large or an eyesore, to sell late night food past 11pm in bricktown. Just curious if anyone knows an ordinance against this? As far as I can tell its legal as long as you dont block traffic and its 75 ft away from the canal. What type of food do you think would go off best? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

Whatever you do, don't sell what your name is. (just kidding) :sofa:

amaesquire
08-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Too soon? No.

FritterGirl
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM

Despite the obvious problems with the location, have ya ever tasted the stuff? Manna from heaven. That chicken is unreal good.

Key is to go early before all of the clubs let out.

amaesquire
08-25-2008, 10:40 AM
About what time do they start serving that manna from heaven? I want to try it, but I would prefer to do it earlier rather than later...

I started a thread about BoBo's chicken because I want to know more...

warreng88
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Too soon? No.

I guess it was on "Hood Street."

sooners83
08-25-2008, 11:00 AM
I could always eat a gyro after a late night in bricktown.

Steve
08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
In all seriousness, Bobo's chicken would probably do very well in Bricktown.

HOT ROD
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM
Is there a way we could convince him to move to downtown? I don't want to take away from the Eastside tho, perhaps he could open another cart or just sell from a wagon or I dunno.

I agree with gyros for a small cart. I think the city has enough hot dogs, unless you do some thing unique like Chicago hot dogs (Vienna Beef, mmmmm)! To my knowledge, OKC doesn't have a Vienna Beef location, so you;d have the whole city as your market!

Maybe New York style (Nathans) but I think you would need a larger cart for them since theyre grilled.

Midtowner
08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
In all seriousness, Bobo's chicken would probably do very well in Bricktown.

Bricktown would probably not go for it.

They have worked very hard to exclude certain sorts of businesses from Bricktown which might detract from its 'family' environment.

I could see a Bobo's working somewhere east of Bricktown on Reno, but not in Bricktown-proper.

kevinpate
08-25-2008, 09:45 PM
.oO(fams don't eat chicken? Since when?)Oo.

Midtowner
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
In other words, Bobo's attracts a pretty rough crowd. This is not the sort of crowd the Bricktown businesses want to be frequenting OKC's premier entertainment district.

Let me put it another way -- we'd rather not have drive by shootings occurring in Bricktown if at all possible.

I'm not sure whether or not your question is flippant.

kevinpate
08-26-2008, 04:52 AM
I suppose my Q is whether a BoBo's would attract a rough crowd irrespective of where it parks the cart. I think a solid quick bite chick-n truck would do exceptionally well, far better than another burger to go option.

OKCMallen
08-26-2008, 08:09 AM
I think the location drives the crowd for BoBo's right now; not the other way around. Gangbangers aren't driving in from other parts of the city just to go to Bobo's...that's just a rough part of the city. Bobo's in Bricktown would have just as good of a chance as any.

Steve
08-26-2008, 08:36 AM
He might need to get a new name to lose the old crowd though

OKCMallen
08-26-2008, 10:18 AM
He might need to get a new name to lose the old crowd though

I just have trouble believing thugs will descend on Bricktown because there's a 2nd Bobos there.

amylynn5656
08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd love to see some more street food vendors downtown. Would love to be able to get a serving of fried okra in a paper cone...like they serve roasted nuts in NYC.

OKCMallen
08-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I'd love to see some more street food vendors downtown. Would love to be able to get a serving of fried okra in a paper cone...like they serve roasted nuts in NYC.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

ouguy23
08-26-2008, 11:11 PM
I just have trouble believing thugs will descend on Bricktown because there's a 2nd Bobos there.

I concur :congrats:

Luke
08-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Fried Okra in a paper cone and a side of ranch...

Wow, that's money.

OKCMallen
08-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Fried Okra in a paper cone and a side of ranch...

Wow, that's money.

I agree.....awful for you, but definitely a hint of Oklahoma in there!!!

:bright_id :bright_id

kevinpate
08-29-2008, 05:16 AM
> fried okra in a paper cone

Of all the late night cravings I've ever satisfied, this ain't one of them. Momma tried her best to raise her babies to like okra, but I never acquired even the slightest desire to voluntarily eat okra, in any form. To each their own, and you can have my share too.

Luke
08-29-2008, 07:29 AM
...I never acquired even the slightest desire to voluntarily eat okra, in any form.

Inconceivable!

FritterGirl
08-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Man, I gotta jump on board with this whole okra thing.

Two words: yum mee! And what a great oklahoma-grown idea. Nice work!

Of course, I would offer that as one of a few options so the non-okra fans like kevin could still get a traditional dog with kraut or other late-night snack.

Seems like tamales would also be a tasty treat, but I'm not sure a hotdog/tamale/ okra stand would really fly.

amylynn5656
08-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Glad you guys like it!!

Tamales would be amazing. And Fritter, as far as the tamale/hot dog/okra stand not doing so well...I think it would be phenomenal!

Stinger
08-29-2008, 10:19 AM
How about a rolling Whataburger?

angel27
08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Tamales * hot dogs (good ones grilled NYC street-vendor style) * fried okra in a paper cup (only if its fresh - how can you grow fresh okra all year round.. hmm) sounds good to me..

Nabber
08-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Gyros stand with a few side options sounds good to me, but I am not sure how well they'd make it seeing the dog stand disappeared. What are you talking about we already have bangers and true hard ones at that on brick town weekends.
but even most of them are just there to hang out it seems.

in wondering
Nabber

badfish77
08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
The hot dog guy is gone? What happened, he always seemed to have customers.

metro
09-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Sadly, Nonna's little streetside Nathan's cafe has been closed for a long time as well. I really wish we could get some decent street food downtown.

warreng88
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Inconceivable!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Great line by the way...

murphystone
11-14-2008, 12:31 AM
I heard rumor that someone might be opening a Cinnamon Roll place in the Mercantile Building where Uncommon Grounds is located. They are suppose to leave in Dec. I heard their Cinnamon Rolls are to die for , like those at the State Fair. Anyone heard any rumors? I can already smell them cooking and the smell floating thru the air like the other food smells you get when walking around Bricktown.

murphystone
11-14-2008, 08:52 AM
I heard a Cinnamon Roll Shop/cafe was going in where Uncommon Grounds is located.
Can anyone confirm that?
They are leaving in Dec from what I have heard.
Anyone know anything? I can imagine the smell of fresh baked Cinnamon Rolls drifting thru Bricktown. The air is so flavorful down there would be great to smell the rolls baking. UMMMM My taste buds are getting very excite...