View Full Version : Downtown Sheraton getting new look...

metro
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
When driving around yesterday working on a few downtown projects, I happened to notice that the downtown Sheraton was getting a paint job. I have mixed feelings on the color, it looks more like stucco or adobe now, when it is a concrete building, however at the same time it is bringing some much needed color to the downtown skyline.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/2795152776_17700f18ca.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2794299109_02114ede5e.jpg?v=0

and a distance shot:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/2795144140_ae558e39b0.jpg?v=0

kevinpate
08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
it'll certainly blend in better as it becomes just another creme and tan concoction. Should have gone with a stand out and take a look color scheme instead but nah, conformity, that's the name of the game anymore.

Rover
08-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Stand out? Bright blue... purple? Finally they are "conforming". They are joining the nice looking and more stylish look downtown. I am glad they are caring enough to style it up a little. Being different just to "stand out" is not necessarily good design or art...just odd and different.

bwana_bob
09-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Those with an architectural background, how would you characterize the exterior of the Sheraton? Brutalist? Either way, do you find the painting of the exposed concrete as contrary to the spirit of the building? While many found the building boring in its previous state, the paint actually seems to make it irrelevant - it will provoke as much thought as the latest design of a McDonald's.

Kerry
09-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Those with an architectural background, how would you characterize the exterior of the Sheraton? Brutalist? Either way, do you find the painting of the exposed concrete as contrary to the spirit of the building? While many found the building boring in its previous state, the paint actually seems to make it irrelevant - it will provoke as much thought as the latest design of a McDonald's.

I was thinking Brutal International. It looks like the Chase Building and the Myriad got together and gave birth to a hotel.

CuatrodeMayo
09-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Brutalist...yes.
Contrary to the design concept...absolutley.

Yay for one more tan building in OKC...

bombermwc
09-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm all for anything that tosses the exposed concrete look. Now it doesn't look like a 70's era Soviet apartment building.

HOT ROD
09-24-2008, 03:51 AM
ahhh, commie-blocks!

bwana_bob
09-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Now it doesn't look like a 70's era Soviet apartment building.

Well, it ain't Albuquerque either, Dorothy! This is no more of an improvement than painting the drab Oklahoma Tower and its sibling orange or powder puff blue.

Does anyone remember when they painted the then-Hilton at NW Expwy and May Ave gray? At the time, it took a rather unattractive and forgettable building and made it unforgettably unattractive. All mirrored windows and gray - AAAAARGH!

It has been remodeled several times since (adding an arched pediment and portico that refine the geometry), re-badged as a Crowne Plaza and is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation currently. Point being - the paint didn't improve the aesthetics: it only accentuated the flaws. It has taken some thoughtful redesign and big bucks to pull this former clunker back into the realm of respectability.

If the folks at the Sheraton want to change the aesthetics for their property, they would have better served by following through on the promised rework of the Century Center portion of the complex - including serious rework of the facade.

jbrown84
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Hopefully they still will.

Blairman
09-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Has anybody stayed there lately ? Would they recommend it ?

bombermwc
09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Their convention space is awful, and that "mall". Man I am embarassed for OKC everytime I'm in there. That whole area needs to be gutted. It's not even accessible from a logic doorway inside the hotel.

dop
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Very nice job....an improvement for downtown, fo sho!

bwana_bob
09-25-2008, 12:48 PM
The plan of the current ownership group is to convert the majority of the space into Oklahoma's largest ballroom and lease out the ground level as office space. That according to news reports going back quite some time. Perhaps Steve or someone connected with the hotel could comment.

HOT ROD
09-25-2008, 01:05 PM
why not lease out the ground floor as RETAIL SPACE!!!!!

Pete
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Here's a link to the thread about the proposed renovation to the mall portion about a year ago.

I would hope with Devon's announcement just across the street, they will get more traction with retail tenants. I still maintain it's the perfect location for a Walgreen's / CVS, especially since there is parking directly above:

http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11522-century-center-renovation.html?highlight=century+center

Patrick
09-29-2008, 12:50 AM
I'm still holding out for a 2 level Nordstroms, Saks, Neimann Marcus, or some other upscale dept. store.

HOT ROD
09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm still holding out for a 2 level Nordstroms, Saks, Neimann Marcus, or some other upscale dept. store.

Here, here, Patrick!

Kerry
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I think you will be holding out for a long time.

metro
09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm holding out for a working solution to our economy problems, not a 2 story Nordstroms we might not see for another 10 years.

jbrown84
09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I think if and when we get a Saks, Nordstroms, or similar downtown, they will want to be somewhere with other retail, not all alone attached to a hotel.

jbrown84
10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
A man working on painting the garage was killed today. There seems to be conflicting info on whether he was in the cherry picker that tipped over, of whether it fell on him.

http://www.newsok.com/man-dies-in-okc-after-falling-from-cherry-picker/article/3313498/?custom_click=lead_story_title

Luke
10-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Sad stuff...

jbrown84
10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Indeed.

Platemaker
10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
jbrown... he was in the basket. Unfortunately, I saw the scene after it happened.

OUGrad05
10-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Nordstroms or Neimann would be sweeeeeeet

Prunepicker
10-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Nordstroms or Neimann would be sweeeeeeet

We need more upscale shops in OKC, especially downtown and Bricktown.

OKC can learn a great lesson from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. They got sick of
being Average Joe and did something about it. They raised their
expectations instead of relying upon Average Joe one month out of the
year. OKC can do the same thing. We need to sell ourselves big. OKC
needs to take the chance. OKC must think growth.

OKC has the opportunity to become an art culture. Did you know OKC can't
afford a full time orchestra? "Average Joe" might visit once in a blue moon
but that doesn't support a symphony. The Reynolds Art Center has great
possibilities. The money won't come from "Average Joe". The rich will
donate more than Average Joe will spend buying tickets. I makes sense to
attract the rich. They invest when they see a good thing. We must attract
those with money.

Average Joe likes to hang around the rich and glitzi. He might spend money
if somebody is looking. If OKC thinks "Average Joe" then that's what we're
going to get.

Let's get out of the box and think BIG!

jbrown84
10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not really sure what you mean, Prune.

rondvu
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I totally understand Prunepicker and couldn't agree more. We have plenty of Dollar General and Family Dollar stores as it is. Let's raise the bar in OKC. :tiphat:

Kerry
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM
I think what Prunepicker is saying is that to have a Nordstroms you need to have people who can afford to shop at Nordstroms.

Prunepicker
10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm not really sure what you mean, Prune.

I'm saying that OKC need to draw some upscale stores to attract more money
which will bring more money into the coffers.

CuatrodeMayo
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Easier said than done.

How exactly do we "raise the bar"?

Tex
10-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Prune, what are some examples of what Ft. Lauderdale did to change? What was their process and criteria?

Prunepicker
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Prune, what are some examples of what Ft. Lauderdale
did to change? What was their process and criteria?

For decades the city relied on the big surge of college kids and vacationers
during spring break. For about a month the economy would soar then it
would hit bottom.

The city council decided to take a chance and stop relying on the income of
a single month. They started making the city attractive to high end
retailers, hotels and restaurants. It worked.

I'm looking for the article but it's a couple of years old. It described how they
did it.

Prunepicker
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I think what Prunepicker is saying is that to have a
Nordstroms you need to have people who can afford to shop at Nordstroms.

That's a good way of putting it. People like me, musician and average Joe,
will still have plenty of places to shop and we won't be left out.

Prunepicker
10-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Easier said than done. How exactly do we
"raise the bar"?

We need to do whatever it takes to attract high end retailers. I like the idea
of cutting taxes to the bone. Give them incentives, as we did Bass Pro. It
won't happen overnight but we can do it.

Kerry
10-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Word of caution Prunepicker - don't mention tax cut incentives as a way to spur development. You will lose 3/4 of the people on this site. They want to hear every idea except that one.

bombermwc
10-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Agreed, I think we've all pretty much decided we're tired of that crap. It hasn't paid off for us in the past at all. Yeah it got some folks to move in, but we really lost in the long run.

Prunepicker
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Word of caution Prunepicker - don't mention tax cut incentives as a way to
spur development. You will lose 3/4 of the people on this site. They want to
hear every idea except that one.

That's a sad commentary.

Thanks

jbrown84
10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
You seem to be arguing two contradictory things. Is it "build it and they will come", or the opposite?

Bring the upscale retailers so we will "get" more rich people, or, as Kerry said and you confirmed, "to have a Nordstroms you need to have people who can afford to shop at Nordstroms."

hoya
10-22-2008, 02:23 PM
We have people who can afford to shop at Nordstroms. We have people who can afford to buy the Nicholson seats at NBA games (yes, I realize that some of these were corporate purchases, but some where not). The trick is going to be getting them to shop downtown, as opposed to... wherever they shop now. My aunt knows a number of ladies who will go to Dallas to shop. We can keep those here. We're not going to have shopping like New York or LA, but we do have enough wealthy people that we can afford some upper-tier locations.

Prunepicker
10-22-2008, 07:31 PM
You seem to be arguing two contradictory things. Is it "build it and they
will come", or the opposite?

Bring the upscale retailers so we will "get" more rich people, or, as Kerry
said and you confirmed, "to have a Nordstroms you need to have people
who can afford to shop at Nordstroms."

It's more like build it and they will stay. OKC has people driving around in
Aston Martins and Ferraris. Sure they shop in the local stores like us but
when they want something special they have to go to Kansas City, Denver
or Dallas because OKC doesn't have it. Tulsa has money and opportunity
but nothing is going to happen there. They can come here. There are RICH
people in Enid, Lawton and McAlester. Then there's Ft. Smith. Where do
they have to go? Why not here?

Prunepicker
10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Agreed, I think we've all pretty much decided we're tired of that crap. It
hasn't paid off for us in the past at all. Yeah it got some folks to move in, but
we really lost in the long run.

To which post are you responding? I can't find one that corresponds.

jbrown84
10-23-2008, 11:06 AM
If we have these demographics, it shouldn't be that hard to draw these stores. You just have to provide a development or space that fits them. It may not be downtown for something like Nordstrom.

Platemaker
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Unsupported Browser (http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll/qscr=dspv/htid=11799)

Looks like the Sheraton went all out on the renovation... apparently they have added an ocean.
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/sheraton.jpg

bwana_bob
06-15-2009, 04:41 PM
The ocean wasn't supposed to be announced until MAPS 4: Island Quest.

kevinpate
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Well, at least all dem thar sharky posters make more sense now

Comm'l Real Estate Guy
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
The first floor of the Century Center is absolutely retail space, not office space.

The issue is, you need really big retailers to make it work. Most retail spaces are under 2,000sf, and in Century Center, you really need 5,000sf tenants if they want exterior visibility and an exterior entrance (which 99% of retailers do).

amylynn5656
06-16-2009, 03:35 PM

:LolLolLol

SWOKC 4 me
06-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Looks like the Sheraton went all out on the renovation... apparently they have added an ocean.

Boy, how disapointing for people once they arrive..... I mean I have booked hotels before based on photos online and was disapointed when I saw it in person but i think this takes the cake!

OKCMallen
06-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Global Warming.

Luke
06-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Global Warming.

If OKC could get a beach outta global warming... cool.

bwana_bob
06-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Admin,

Please refile this thread under the proper topic:

Core-to-Shore... to Shore

Thanks!