View Full Version : Info on 15th St expansion at Meridian...

slick
08-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Anyone have information on 15th Street being expanded where it meets Meridian near the airport? I don't go by that area a lot, but I heard there is a lot going on there, lots of new hotels popping up, so I checked it out. Looks like 15th Street is going to cross through Meridian and continue on towards MacArthur just north of the Embassy Suites.

I am just wondering what they might be developing there since I doubt the city would just expand the road for the heck of it.

CCOKC
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
I have not been down there for at least 6 weeks but the last time I was there the road looked like it was very close to being opened. I'll try to get by there sometime this week for an update if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

metro
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
yeah, last time I took photos of the new hotels (see thread about Meridian Landing), it was progressing rapidly. There are pics in that thread too.

slick
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Am I correct to assume that 15th Street will go all the way down to MacArthur or will it just go a portion of the way right now to allow for some new opportunities along the river? I heard that there is a TownePlace Suites and Fairfield Inn by Marriott coming to area along the river on the west side of Meridian just north of Embassy Suites, anyone else heard this?

CCOKC
08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
I drove by this intersection Monday night. It is not open yet but is striped and looks ready to go. It just has cones blocking it off for the moment. I went around to the MacArthur side and it does look like it goes all the way though. There weren't any cones on this side but I did not have time to venture that way. Interestingly 15th is south of the river from Meridian to MacArthur and north of the river from MacArthur going west. It looks like there is some grading going on towards Rockwell but not sure if there are plans in the works to expand 15th to the west. If I remember correctly the landfill gets in the way at some point and the road just ends coming back to the east but I can't remember if that is from Council to Rockwell or Rockwell to MacArthur.

bombermwc
08-27-2008, 07:57 AM
I'm guessing that they either aren't ready to finished the traffic signals or haven't painted completely. I'm on Meridian everyday, and it's just been sitting there for quite some time.

Much like how those hotels seems to be moving at a snails pace after shooting off like a rocket in the beginning.

CCOKC
09-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I just drove on the new 15th street extension between Meridian and MacArthur. It was not open when I drove by Wednesday so it opened either yesterday or today. I did not see any evidence of construction to the west of Meridian.

slick
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I drove on it yesterday, felt weird since I was the only one on it at the time, lol.
It looks nice, and connects Meridian and MacArthur nicely. Now, if I can just find out what the plans are for development on this new stretch of road :)

bombermwc
09-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I saw it open last week....with 1 car on it. They also re-assigned the lanes on the east side of Meridian so watch out if you ever used the 2-lane turn lanes. They are no longer all turn lanes.

dalelakin
09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Why?

I drove it today and it looks as though there might be another stretch of say 11th St. to the north of the river being added as well. I am confused as to why this massive amount of funds would be appropriated to these projects when there are so many streets in OKC that are close to impassable????

bombermwc
09-18-2008, 10:33 AM
My bet....access to riverfront property.

bombermwc
02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
There is new development going on the north side of 15th, west of Meridian. I can see what looks like some parking lots and an address sign so far....

bombermwc
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
There is another sctructure going in on the West side of Meridian, north side of the new 15th. Can't tell if it's going to be 2 or 2+ floors. It's hard to tell what it's supposed to be because there's no real super structure. So it can't be THAT big. The back side looks like it has many doors on it in a very un-square pattern. I haven't seen a sign yet, but it looks far too small to be a hotel.

circuitboard
04-27-2009, 05:58 PM
There is another sctructure going in on the West side of Meridian, north side of the new 15th. Can't tell if it's going to be 2 or 2+ floors. It's hard to tell what it's supposed to be because there's no real super structure. So it can't be THAT big. The back side looks like it has many doors on it in a very un-square pattern. I haven't seen a sign yet, but it looks far too small to be a hotel.

I have been watching this also, on my lunch, and I can not figure it out. It does say on oklahoma county accessor that it is owned by a hotel company....but it looks really small to be a hotel. I hope it's not a cheap motel 6 or something, that would like bad on the corner next to the river.

slick
04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Unless plans have changed, what you are watching being built is one of TWO Marriott hotels.
I "accidentally" received a site plan for that area last January from the realtor in charge of selling the corner lot.
The site plan showed that on roughly 5.5 acres, you got the Fairfield Inn & Suites and the Towneplace Suites brands, 5 stories each, 100-110 rooms each.

bombermwc
04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I guess if it's only 5 floors, the metal studs could be enough...just seems like a cheap structure compared to what has been built on Meridian lately.