View Full Version : Why is OKC turning its back on I-35?

Richard at Remax
08-21-2008, 03:05 PM
The section I am asking about is I-35 between the I-44 junction and I-40 juction.

I have been thinking about this for months now because I drive it a few times a week.

Why is it so run down? As a major north-south highway, why is it still only 4 lanes and in crappy condition. I know projects have priority over another and the highway isn't in a real plush part of town, but it should be at least 6-8 lanes.

Anyone know what the deal is?

ok I'm done ranting now.

metro
08-21-2008, 03:07 PM
agreed

jsibelius
08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm signing the petition too. This is a petition, right?

traxx
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Interesting, I was just thinking of starting a thread similar to this. With that being a major corridor through the metro, I think there should be some kind of beautification project for it. Most of it is industrialized and is an eyesore. With this and I-40 (which is getting a makeover) being OKC's front porch, I think we should have more "curb appeal" as travelers from other states motor through our metro. If drivers don't see an astheticly pleasing city they'll be less likely to stop off for the night.

OKCMallen
08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
One at a time, gang...

AFCM
08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
...but one at a time, at the current pace, means we won't see the finalized improvements until the year 2525. For the record, Zager and Evans considered using the OKC roads as a storyline in one of the verses, but felt the other predictions were more capable of becoming true.

Saberman
08-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Just about all of the property from NE 36th north to the 44 junc, on the west side of 35 belongs to the city. I think the east side is actually Forest Park.

Joe Kimball
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
...but one at a time, at the current pace, means we won't see the finalized improvements until the year 2525. For the record, Zager and Evans considered using the OKC roads as a storyline in one of the verses, but felt the other predictions were more capable of becoming true.

Did Messrs. Zager and Evans also consider as a storyline the PITA that is cleaning Coke off of a flat-panel LCD?

BDP
08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Wouldn't that mostly be a federal issue, or at least wouldn't most of the money come from the feds?

My first guess as to why it isn't getting attention right now is that, as bad as it could get, most of it won't fall down. A lot of the country's infrastructure is in a bad way and I think major bridges will get money first.

Thunder
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
As AFCM had said... One at a time.... All eyes on the Devon Tower. :D

traxx
08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Interesting, I was just thinking of starting a thread similar to this. With that being a major corridor through the metro, I think there should be some kind of beautification project for it. Most of it is industrialized and is an eyesore. With this and I-40 (which is getting a makeover) being OKC's front porch, I think we should have more "curb appeal" as travelers from other states motor through our metro. If drivers don't see an astheticly pleasing city they'll be less likely to stop off for the night.

My bad, as I reread this thread I realize I misread. I was thinking about I-35 between I-40 and I-240. As far as that goes my statement stands.

As far as the statements of "one at a time; focus on the devon tower now" are concerned, why can't we focus on more than one thing at a time. Does that mean that when the devon tower starts construction they should stop working on the new crosstown because we are only able of focusing on one thing at a time. If we'd had that philosophy during maps then we still wouldn't be finished with maps.

OKCMallen
08-22-2008, 07:39 AM

Are you kidding me? I think they're screaming up and down 235 considering the area they're dealing with and traffic, etc. We're moving all of I-40, we're widening 235...I mean, what more do you want?

OKCTalker
08-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Not to mention turnpike construction & expansion to the north and west...

hipsterdoofus
08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
One at a time, gang...

Thats the line of thinking that will always keep Oklahoma with crappy roads...I bet in other states they may occasionally work on more than one thing at a time...

sgt. pepper
08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Not to mention turnpike construction & expansion to the north and west...
what expansion is this?

OKCisOK4me
08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
what expansion is this?

I think he was referring to the 'when the turpike had been expanded' five or so years ago.

Kerry
08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
One at a time, gang...

ARAGORN (cont'd)
There is still hope for Frodo. He needs
time and safe passage across the Plains of
Gorgoroth. We can give him that.

GANDALF
How?

ARAGORN
Draw out Sauron' s armies - empty his lands.
Then we gather our full strength and march
on the Black Gate.

At this, GIMLI CHOKES on his pipe . . . EOMER steps forward.

EOMER
We cannot achieve victory from strength of
arms .

ARAGORN
Not for ourselves . . . But we can give Frodo
his chance if we keep Sauron' s eye fixed
upon us. Keep him blind to all else that
moves .

LEGOLAS
A diversion . . .

CLOSE ON: GANDALF speaks in a low tone to ARAGORN . . .

GANDALF
(doubtful)
Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not
take the bait!

GIMLI
Certainty of death. Small chance of
success. What are we waiting for?

bombermwc
08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
They are doing some repaving finally. The inside lanes had been repaved when I drove up there a week or so ago.

OKCMallen
08-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Thats the line of thinking that will always keep Oklahoma with crappy roads...I bet in other states they may occasionally work on more than one thing at a time...

It's a phrase. I fyou really think OKC is only working on one highway at a time, you are completely ignorant, but luckily, you're in the right place on OKCTalk to catch up fast!

BDP
08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I bet in other states they may occasionally work on more than one thing at a time

Seriously?

There's maybe 5 different routes I can take to work and there's not one of them that isn't being worked on.

AFCM
08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Are you kidding me? I think they're screaming up and down 235 considering the area they're dealing with and traffic, etc. We're moving all of I-40, we're widening 235...I mean, what more do you want?

Well, as usual, reading comprehension would come in handy when trying to understand the context of my post.

First of all, I wasn't saying ODOT was fixing roads one at a time. As a piggyback to a previous post, I was simply saying that one at a time would take forever, considering each project takes several years to complete.

Okay, so PORTIONS of I-235 and I-40 are under construction. Seeing as how those small portions of interstate take YEARS to complete, you can see how repairing the THOUSANDS of miles of deteriorated roads in Oklahoma City would take an unusually long time, making me skeptical of seeing any real city-wide progress in our lifetime.

Groundbreaking for the I-40 relocation project took place in May of 2002. If we're lucky, the new crosstown will be completed in 2012 -- if we're lucky. This FOUR MILE stretch of interstate will have taken 10 years from groundbreaking to completion IF everything goes well. Now, I don't know when the I-235 construction project started, but I know it was underway a year ago. Considering the I-235 project is only a mile, maybe two miles long, we're looking at some unreasonably long projects.

What more do I want? Fix the I-240/I-35 exit/entrance and widen I-35 south of I-240. Complete the NW Expressway and N May mess that started well over a year ago. Start working on the declining I-44/Belle Isle overpass. Patch up the thousands of holes all throughout the city's streets. These are some of the things I want, but as mentioned, if done one at a time, will take forever.

OKCMallen
08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, as usual, reading comprehension would come in handy when trying to understand the context of my post.

No need to be an asshole.

First of all, I wasn't saying ODOT was fixing roads one at a time. As a piggyback to a previous post, I was simply saying that one at a time would take forever, considering each project takes several years to complete.

Okay, so PORTIONS of I-235 and I-40 are under construction. Seeing as how those small portions of interstate take YEARS to complete, you can see how repairing the THOUSANDS of miles of deteriorated roads in Oklahoma City would take an unusually long time, making me skeptical of seeing any real city-wide progress in our lifetime.

Of course it's portions at a time. I'm glad you don't work for ODOT. It would take ANY city with a normal amount of resources a long time to repairs these roads. What color is the sky on the planets you're posting from where cities have unlimited resources to magically fix everything all at once?

Groundbreaking for the I-40 relocation project took place in May of 2002. If we're lucky, the new crosstown will be completed in 2012 -- if we're lucky. This FOUR MILE stretch of interstate will have taken 10 years from groundbreaking to completion IF everything goes well. Now, I don't know when the I-235 construction project started, but I know it was underway a year ago. Considering the I-235 project is only a mile, maybe two miles long, we're looking at some unreasonably long projects.

First of all, show me what unreasonable is. We have to do these projects as money comes in...there's not some big, magic bank account with themoney to do all of this at once. You probably think oil comapnies are sitting on leases not drilling, too.

The I-40 move is about as substantial as highway work comes unless you're building an extended stretch of elevated highway over an ocean or something. I mean, you're talking an inner-urban core movement of a freaking interstate. Remember how long it took to build the Kilpatrick? And that was in the suburbs and portions in unpopulated areas.

What more do I want? Fix the I-240/I-35 exit/entrance and widen I-35 south of I-240. Complete the NW Expressway and N May mess that started well over a year ago. Start working on the declining I-44/Belle Isle overpass. Patch up the thousands of holes all throughout the city's streets. These are some of the things I want, but as mentioned, if done one at a time, will take forever.

And again, it's a PHRASE. Nothing is being done one at a time, and no one ever even claimed the city works on these things one at a time. So really your point is moot. Or it's not moot, depending on which school you come from- the old or the new. I prefer old, so it's not moot.

jsibelius
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Turning your back is how you prepare to moon someone.

Thunder
08-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Turning your back is how you prepare to moon someone.

:congrats: OKCTalk sponsored event. The Moon Wave at the grand opening of the Devon Tower.

amaesquire
08-22-2008, 04:29 PM
And, if I'm not mistaken there are two projects going on 235 right now.

1) 23rd - 36th area
2) The interchange with Memorial Road

and this will be followed up with the redo of the 235 I-44 interchange.

We can't forget the work that happens up north.

Just goes to show that more than one thing happens at a time.

And, instead of fixing every problem all at once, I believe ODOT took the initiative to save some lives by installing cable barriers on almost every stretch of Interstate in Oklahoma.

I'm glad I'm safe, but I'm really glad it limits the places those dang cops can hang out and radar.

OKCMallen
08-22-2008, 04:32 PM

1) 23rd - 36th area

And, instead of fixing every problem all at once, I believe ODOT took the initiative to save some lives by installing cable barriers on almost every stretch of Interstate in Oklahoma.

I'm glad I'm safe, but I'm really glad it limits the places those dang cops can hang out and radar.

Plus they've been shown to save lives in a study, so that's a good thing too. :bow:

jsibelius
08-22-2008, 07:39 PM
:congrats: OKCTalk sponsored event. The Moon Wave at the grand opening of the Devon Tower.

"OKCTalk Rules" LOL! You know it.

jbrown84
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
It does need some attention, but I don't see it as an extremely high priority. We have terribly designed interchanges that are a more immediate priority IMO. Also, most of that stretch is sunken, so it would take major construction to widen it.

Thunder
08-23-2008, 12:19 AM
"OKCTalk Rules" LOL! You know it.

We got a mind reader on here! :sofa:

Saberman
08-23-2008, 01:37 PM
It's certain you were not around before they built I-44 from I-40 up to 39th. That sat for 10 or 12 years with just the bridge pylons till they started work on it.

There were motorcycle trails all thought there, they all complained because they were taking away there trails. So they built them the trails on the SE corner of I-40 & I-44. Only took a couple of years to build once they started on it again.

It take a lot of money to build highways, and OK was always last to get Fed money.

BG918
08-23-2008, 02:27 PM

1) 23rd - 36th area

Any more future plans for 235 besides these projects and the 235/40/35 interchange? I wonder if their longrange plans keep that elevated portion of 235 between 15th and 26th. That presents some difficulty if there is a commuter rail station on the Edmond-Norman line for the State Capitol at 23rd.

CuatrodeMayo
08-25-2008, 07:50 AM
That section is only about 20 years old. I remember it being under construction when I was a kid.

Personally, I would like to see that come down and be replaced with a boulevard similar to the one proposed for the existing I-40 crosstown, but without rebuilding the highway. DT and the capitol area look pretty shabby from that top of that bridge. Also, that would help to tie back together the medical district and capitol area with DT. That expressway has really severed those neighborhoods.

ShiroiHikari
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Haven't they been widening I-35 from Dallas and steadily working their way north? The last time I went to Purcell, I-35 was all torn up and pretty much a mess, so I hope that's what they're doing down there.

CCOKC
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
I drive that section of I-35 once a week and it is coming along surprisingly fast for an I-35 project. They literally tore up the entire section of road north of the Purcell and replaced it. I don't think they widened it, just replaced it. Not sure why.

Big MAC
08-27-2008, 06:48 AM
People talk on here about how much construction needs to be done...
I am a transplant to Oklahoma, I grew up in the NYC metropolitan area, and if you want to talk about traffic, and road construction- Oklahoma could take a few kelpful hints from its northern bretheren.

1. Speed of Construction. Has anyone tried to take SW 59th Street to the airport lately?? Probably not.. considering its been closed for over a year now. Not down to one lane-- Completely shut down. Closed. Granted I work nights - I have never seen anyone working on this road at all.

I am thoroughly impressed with the construction that has taken place on Broadway Ext and I-235. The stages of construction, and forethought and planning that went into expanding broadway extension north of 63rd Street - I thought that that project progressed very quickly. And this was followed almost immediately by the current construction between 23rd Street and up to just south of 50th Street.
Wittwer Construction has done an excellent job and always shown progress.

Why is it that here in Oklahoma road construction always takes so long to complete?

Why has one construction project on a major artery (I-235) been able to be finished- while keeping the road open to traffic -- while the reconstruction of SW59th Street continues to last forever?

Why does ODOT not mandate that construction take place at night- when the demands placed on the road are less, and the hazards to the workers are less. ????

Are there not punitive measures in the contract so as to make it advantageous to the builder to complete the project on time?

In regard to the stretch of I-35 north of I-40 to I-44--- I am glad they are finally paving it. Thats a start. Yes it does need to be widened. In order to do that in the areas that the highway is depressed below grade will require much use of eminent domain on the part of the state-- there are houses built up to the edge of the roadway between 10th and 23rd Streets on both sides- as well as a redesign of Grand Blvd. that would have to be undertaken as well.

Marc

jason_b
09-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Just about all of the property from NE 36th north to the 44 junc, on the west side of 35 belongs to the city. I think the east side is actually Forest Park.

Forest Park only extends to just north of Norcrest. OKC starts again where the equipment rental place is.