View Full Version : Everything Core to Shore

Luke
08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I figured we needed a main thread for everything related to Core to Shore. After all, this is the next big thing!

The main site for C2S info is:

City of Oklahoma City | Core to Shore (http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/index.html)

There is a ton of great information.

Here is something I found interesting. It looks like the Bricktown canal will be expanded westward from the south end point into a proposed business park (where the current cotton mill is). I thought that was pretty cool. That can be seen here.

http://www.okc.gov/planning/coretoshore/visuals/June2007_Concept.jpg

In fact, that map is the latest rendering of the whole C2S plan.

Throw in any images, ideas, plans, tidbits, articles or anything else you can dig up on C2S.

This is gonna be a fun 4 years!

Pete
08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Good idea!

And extending the canal in that area makes perfect sense. We need it to be longer, for sure.

And not to get of the subject of C2S but I'd still like to see long-range plans to bring the canal westward into the Myriad Gardens. When the Myriad is ultimately replaced or torn down for other development, the canal could wind through that block and feature developments (more office & hotel space) that might even have the canal go through them.

We need to keep thinking big!

Luke
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
It was my understanding that the elevation between the Myriad pond and the Bricktown canal was such that a connection could not be made.

However, a westward expansion would still be awesome. Imagine a boat loading dock in the lobby of a hotel downtown.

Pretty cool stuff.

JWil
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Pete,

I'm with you on going west with the canal after the Cox Center comes down. I'd love to see that. I hope the old Myriad footprint becomes the next-gen arena for the Thunder and maybe find a way to wrap the canal close to it as it goes to the Gardens. That'd rock. My biggest (only) complaint about the canal right now is that it doesn't go anywhere, but I know that will change soon.

BG918
08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Pete,

I'm with you on going west with the canal after the Cox Center comes down. I'd love to see that. I hope the old Myriad footprint becomes the next-gen arena for the Thunder and maybe find a way to wrap the canal close to it as it goes to the Gardens. That'd rock. My biggest (only) complaint about the canal right now is that it doesn't go anywhere, but I know that will change soon.

The problem with that is Santa Fe Depot is in the way. I hope once a new convention center is built they tear down the Cox and recreate the street grid in that area. Have California go from E.K. Gaylord to Robinson (which would be cool because you'd have the crystal bridge at the west end and Santa Fe Depot at the east end) and extend Broadway south from Sheridan to Reno dead-ending at the NE entrance to the Ford Center. Fill that whole area up with high density development: office towers, highrise hotel, condos, etc. That could be the biggest TOD in the city next to the hub for Amtrak, commuter rail, light rail, and bus transit: Santa Fe Depot.

Pete
08-21-2008, 10:47 AM
The canal could head north from it's western terminus, towards Sheridan then turn west under the elevated tracks above. Or, it could continue a little further south then turn west.

And it wouldn't have to flow into the lake at the Myriad Gardens... Just extend into the eastern section where there could be a turnaround.

BG918
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
The canal could head north from it's western terminus, towards Sheridan then turn west under the elevated tracks above. Or, it could continue a little further south then turn west.

And it wouldn't have to flow into the lake at the Myriad Gardens... Just extend into the eastern section where there could be a turnaround.

I could see it going south along the tracks (like it already does halfway down the block) and then heading west down Reno by the Ford Center and future "retail complex" that is shown in C2S along Reno and the boulevard in between Robinson and Hudson. That could really enhance Reno's streetscape having the canal on one side or down the middle of the street. I think that would be more likely than Sheridan.

TStheThird
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
That seems like the best idea to me... have it run along the south side of the Myriad Gardens. That would give riders access to retail and the Gardens.

westsidesooner
08-21-2008, 11:49 AM

I like this idea.

I was going to mention this in the Devon thread before their plans were announced, but since I didn't I'll throw it out here.

What about a monorail system like Seattle, Dallas, San Diego.....that could run and in some way connect from Devon over to the Ford center/canal extension mentioned above, south to the new hotel/convention center which could be accesed ala disneyworld, then south on the east side of C2S to the river and any mid-rise condos, have a stop along the river to accomodate devon river cruisers from I-40 and meridean, then up the west side of the park and any office/retail built on that side and back to Devon tower. Would be great for out of town guests wanting to see a basketball game at the ford center or locals going to work downtown from their future condo along the river. The C2S plans shows extensive housing on the south and west side of the project and this would really help with any future parking problems in the CBD.

Anyone know how succesful the monorails are in those cities??? Anyways...just an idea!!

Pete
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I didn't see this aerial on the city site but wanted to include it here, as it really shows the C2S area very well and how it will extend south of the Myriad Gardens:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/aerial2.jpg

BG918
08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
I didn't see this aerial on the city site but wanted to include it here, as it really shows the C2S area very well and how it will extend south of the Myriad Gardens:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/aerial2.jpg

Soon you'll see I-40 cutting through just to the south of those controversial tracks.

I just realized looking at this photo that those on the south side of the Devon Tower will have quite the view of C2S. You would be able to really see the area transform. You would literally be looking at the future of downtown.

Luke
08-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I like this idea.

I was going to mention this in the Devon thread before their plans were announced, but since I didn't I'll throw it out here.

What about a monorail system like Seattle, Dallas, San Diego.....that could run and in some way connect from Devon over to the Ford center/canal extension mentioned above, south to the new hotel/convention center which could be accesed ala disneyworld, then south on the east side of C2S to the river and any mid-rise condos, have a stop along the river to accomodate devon river cruisers from I-40 and meridean, then up the west side of the park and any office/retail built on that side and back to Devon tower. Would be great for out of town guests wanting to see a basketball game at the ford center or locals going to work downtown from their future condo along the river. The C2S plans shows extensive housing on the south and west side of the project and this would really help with any future parking problems in the CBD.

Anyone know how succesful the monorails are in those cities??? Anyways...just an idea!!

I love the idea of a monorail. A circular downtown with a spoke to the airport. From downtown it could be expanded elsewhere.

westsidesooner
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
In the pic Pete posted I can almost picture the route of the monorail I mentioned. And you're right; those on the south side of Devon will have an awesome view.

I can't wait til C2S gets started......bring on the bulldozers!!

Luke
08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Midtowner mentioned it in another thread, but I agree. I'll bet we'll see a residential tower very near the Devon Tower and perhaps in conjunction with the Core to Shore development.

JWil
08-21-2008, 01:33 PM
I love the idea of a monorail. A circular downtown with a spoke to the airport. From downtown it could be expanded elsewhere.

http://www.portigal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/9f10.gif

http://tecfa.unige.ch/~nova/img/monorailmap.png

westsidesooner
08-21-2008, 01:45 PM
JWIL.....Sadly I've seen that episode of the simpsons. The monorail in Springfield didn't turn out so well if I remember. :053:

Also wanted to agree w/ Luke. When I first thought of a monrail system it was in refrence to a wider mass trans system for okc. Monorail/light rail lines to Edmond, Norman, Tinker, Adventure district and capitol, and up nw highway would be great. They could all tie in to a central CBD loop around either downtown or the
C2S area. Either directly or with transfer stations.

Luke
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
A monorail is nice because it can go over any existing infrastructure. Plus, it's all electric, quiet and green.

OKCMallen
08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Monorail from airport to meridian to downtown would be highly used and economically efficient.

sjlevine
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Oklahoma City just needs a plan to expand public transportation.

Denver is going whole hog in doing this with their FasTracks program. This program will pay handsomely in terms of mobility and community sustainability in the years to come.

We need to do something like this. The building of the Canal was an improbable happening in Oklahoma City and it has paid off a lot more than people would have imagined. We can do the same with public transportation.

sjl

metro
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Nice pic Pete. It's nice to get an aerial and see how many mature trees are already in the C2S area.

UnFrSaKn
08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Here's a high def video of the C2S presentation from SkylineInk

http://skylineink.com/animations/c2s.mov

Pete
08-21-2008, 03:12 PM
That aerial also shows how little there is of any substance in the first phase of C2S.

The city already owns that big postal facility... It's really just the car dealership that has any value in terms of structures.

I guess the upside of that area being so run-down is that it will be very easy to clear and re-do.

BG918
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
That aerial also shows how little there is of any substance in the first phase of C2S.

The city already owns that big postal facility... It's really just the car dealership that has any value in terms of structures.

I guess the upside of that area being so run-down is that it will be very easy to clear and re-do.

The new postal distribution center is finished, located near I-44 and Reno. I believe they are still working on getting completely moved to the new facility though. So it should be only a matter of time before this one is demolished. Now they just need to gain control of the rest of the property so they can begin work on the park even if I-40 and the boulevard aren't finished...