View Full Version : How's your cable?

windowphobe
12-23-2004, 07:19 PM
As of right now, my cable connection (both TV and Internet) has been down for 12 hours; the telephone-support types say "there are issues in your area" and have no idea when it will be fixed. I wonder just how big my "area" is.

metro
12-23-2004, 08:11 PM
isnt this in the wrong thread?

Keith
12-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Not that I know of. Where else should it be? Fortunately, my cable TV is still working fine. I don't have Cox internet.

metro
12-23-2004, 08:30 PM
I thought it should be in a more miscellaneous thread or general talk. This thread seems to be more development and progress of the city oriented

windowphobe
12-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Well, should the moderators decide that it should be moved, let it be moved. So long as I can find it again, I'm not going to complain.

mranderson
12-24-2004, 06:57 AM
I have no problem with the location. I placed the Robert Blake thread in entertainment (television) and got negativity over that. So, I guess some people will not be happy no matter where you put it.

My cable? Only too expensive. I wish they had ala carte where you could pay for the channels you really use instead of having to pay for a bunch you do not watch. More like cutomized cable. I have 300 channels and maybe watch between 30 and 50 of them. (not including the premiums) With phone and internet, Cox whacks me to the tune of $150 per month. Ala Carte could bring that down to about 100. The phone is reasonable, but the internet is really expensive. I would like to see it cut in half.

However, what can you do? Except for Dish and the other sattelite service providers, the cable companies are a legal monpoly. They can charge almost anything they want.

Midtowner
12-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Satellite and DSL are viable options for many. That's how cable is not a monopoly.

But I do consider my cable to actually be a decent value considering what I get.

Patrick
12-26-2004, 11:31 PM
I think this thread is okay here...it's more of a regional/OKC question, not really a tech question.

Anyways, I also have Cox internet. I've had it for 2 years. In that 2 years, my service has only been down once, for about a 12 hour period. Not sure why...I got the same recorded message you did! 12 hours in 2 years isn't too bad though....no complaints on my part. Sometimes they do have to work on the lines, so maybe they were just performing some upgrades or something. I will admit...Cox maintains their lines better than SBC does.

Luke
12-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I can't afford to pay $150 for tv/internet. I just have bunny ears but I have an HDTV tuner, so I get all the local channels in HD broadcasts. Also, my landlord (in the apartment below me) has wireless internet. I pay them $5 a month for accessing it.

metro
12-27-2004, 01:40 PM
how is the HDTV tuner? how much did it run you? do you have a High-Def TV?

Luke
12-27-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't have a hi-def TV. However, watching a hi-def program on a regular TV is like watching a DVD on it. So, it's a noticable difference between regular TV and hi-def even on a regular TV. I got my HDTV tuner at Wal-Mart. It was $200. The brand is called USDTV (the only one they sell, I believe). USDTV will eventually have a pay service here in OKC that is digital and piggybacks off of the local hi-def digital signals. At $20 a month it'll be the cheapest option and with Fox News and ESPN part of their programming, I'm set. I look forward to them getting here.

http://www.usdtv.com to find out more.