View Full Version : I have a question about the Deep Deuce District.

AFCM
08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Forgive my ignorance and inability to find anything in another thread to answer my question, but I had a few curiosities about the Deep Deuce District. I can't seem to find complete renderings for the district and it seems the area is mostly residential with only a few jazz clubs. Do plans intend for more jazz clubs and nightlife or is the district mostly going to be residential?

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 12:57 PM
There is no masterplan. The Triangle (Maywood Park, etc) covers some of Deep Deuce, but not all. Deep Deuce is a neighborhood, not a development, so there is no one overseeing it's development as a whole. I'd say it'd be great to have an actual jazz club in Deep Deuce.

OKCMallen
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Forgive my ignorance and inability to find anything in another thread to answer my question, but I had a few curiosities about the Deep Deuce District. I can't seem to find complete renderings for the district and it seems the area is mostly residential with only a few jazz clubs. Do plans intend for more jazz clubs and nightlife or is the district mostly going to be residential?

There are currently no jazz clubs of which I'm aware. Used to be a thriving jazz/black district.

metro
08-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Deep Deuce did have a Jazz Club up until a few year ago, a law firm bought it's building and is now officing there. Hopefully, a jazz club or two will reopen in the area.

okcustu
08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
i love how they promote it as some rich historical district filled with black history its nothing but a highway and pricey condos now. They dont even have a history center or anything, at least Tulsa tries with their pathetic Greenwood Cultural center

OKCMallen
08-22-2008, 11:15 AM
i love how they promote it as some rich historical district filled with black history its nothing but a highway and pricey condos now. They dont even have a history center or anything, at least Tulsa tries with their pathetic Greenwood Cultural center

The thing about the Deuce is there is no "they." Who is the "they" you're talking about? Apartment tenants? Deep Deuce Grill owners? They DO need a "they" to promote and self-preserve.

okcustu
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
the city and downtown information

jbrown84
08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
A lot of areas have history, but they don't each get their own history museum.

Patrick
08-22-2008, 07:01 PM

And pathetic it is.

okcustu
08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
A lot of areas have history, but they don't each get their own history museum.

No need to be a smartass my point is that nothing of historical significance still exists

OKCMallen
08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
No need to be a smartass my point is that nothing of historical significance still exists

The Deep Deuce Grill is in, I believe, an old doctor's office...one of the only real remnants remaining from the old days.

Steve
08-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes, that's the old Haywood Building, and you can still see Dr. Haywood's door underneath the stairway. Deep Deuce, sadly, lost much of its character during the 1980s.
Only a handful of significant buildings survive.
They are the Littlepage Building at NE 2 and Central, the Haywood Building, home to the Deep Deuce Grill, the buildings that were home to Doebelly, now the apartment clubhouse, and the Luster home home at NE 3,

jbrown84
08-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. Just because there is no active Jazz Club in DD does not mean it lacks any history. There are several remaining historical structures.

For example, the old High School, which according to a plaque on the side, housed the state legislature while the capitol was being built. Pretty significant if you ask me.