View Full Version : Wakeboard World Championships in OKC

Watson410
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I saw a small article in ESPN the Magazine today talking about this event. So I thought I would look into it, since i've heard nothing about it. It runs from Sept. 4-7 on the the Oklahoma River... It says at S.W. 17th and Western (Not sure if that right or not) It makes more sense that they would do it around the Chesapeake Boathouse area. Anyways, here's a link.. Please let me know if anyone else has anymore info. Thanks.

</TITLE> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR> <script type="text/JavaScript"> <!-- function MM_swapImgRestore() { //v3.0 var i,x,a=document.MM_sr; for(i=0;a&&i<a. (http://www.thewwa.com/WakeboardWorldsPre08.shtml)

metro
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to for several months now and keep forgetting. They've had wakeboard events on the river for a few years now, not sure if it was this same contest or not.

Watson410
08-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah they had one a few weeks ago. I tried to go that Sunday around noon or so, and nobody was out there.. i figured they packed up and left already or now that i think about it maybe they weren't at the CBH area.

Doug Loudenback
08-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks, Watson410 ... I've never heard of it ... here's part of the text:

Oklahoma City to Host 2008 WWA Wakeboard World Championships!

Oklahoma City, Okla. — Hundreds of riders throughout the globe will head to Oklahoma City for one of the largest and most exciting action-sport events in the world, the Rockstar Energy Drink WWA Wakeboard World Championships, presented by Supra. World Sports & Marketing, the organizing body for the event, announced today that the 2008 World Championships will take place on the Oklahoma River at S.W. 17th Street and Western Avenue in Oklahoma City, Sept. 4-7, 2008.

Riders representing several countries, including the United States, Australia, Tahiti, South Africa, Canada, the United Kingdom, Brazil, New Zealand and Japan, will vie for the world title by performing rail tricks and aerial stunts while maneuvering on the water at a speed of approximately 25 mph.

“Every rider wants to be considered the best in the world, and this contest is their chance to earn that respect,” said Sean Dishman, sales and marketing director of World Sports & Marketing. “Riders can’t hold anything back and have to go big on every trick in order to win the title; that’s what makes this event so much fun to witness, and we are thrilled to share this experience with the people of Oklahoma City,”

The WWA Wakeboard World Championships is a four-day-long carnival of water-sports action. But not all of the action takes place on the water. On land, fans will experience tons of great music and food, athlete autograph signings, chances to win free stuff and shopping at the most cutting-edge stores offering water-sports equipment including boats, wakeboards, wakeskates, sunglasses and the latest in wakeboarding and surfing fashions. The event will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on all four days.

Tickets can be purchased at on-site, Sept. 4-7 for $10 (general admission), $5 (ages 6-12) or free (ages 5 and under). To purchase tickets in advance, visit King of Wake (http://www.kingofwake.com). General-admission tickets are buy one get one free online only until Sept. 5, 12 p.m. EST.

Generals64
08-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah they had one a few weeks ago. I tried to go that Sunday around noon or so, and nobody was out there.. i figured they packed up and left already or now that i think about it maybe they weren't at the CBH area.

There was a video and a report/interview on newsOK.tv a couple of weeks back.
Supposed to be quite a deal.

See ya next time:.................