View Full Version : Dallas

amandagall5
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a centrally located hotel in Dallas? My husband and I are planning to spend 2 nights there in a couple of weeks time and I would like to stay somewhere that is convenient for shopping and good eating etc. I would like to not use the car at all while there but I dont know if this is possible as we have never been before so dont know what to expect. Price is not a major concern. Thanks.

OKCisOK4me
08-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a centrally located hotel in Dallas? My husband and I are planning to spend 2 nights there in a couple of weeks time and I would like to stay somewhere that is convenient for shopping and good eating etc. I would like to not use the car at all while there but I dont know if this is possible as we have never been before so dont know what to expect. Price is not a major concern. Thanks.

Last I was in Dallas (for a bachelor party) we stayed at Market Place Marriott off of Stemmons Freeway (I-35E) approximately 4 miles from downtown, just northwest. Anything within a five mile radius of the hotel was a free ride by their transportation service. After that, there was a fee. Prices were decent. $129.99 max per night, maybe more but not much. If you're a AAA member you can get an $89.99 state rate. Pretty good deal...which is what I got! We stayed 2 nights, 3 of us in one room, so it was a nice price. Hope that helps. I used to have their number in my cell but I deleted it recently. Should be pretty easy to find on Google or the Marriott website!

Oh, and we did extensive research on all the other hotels near downtown. For the conveniences the Marriott had, I believe it was the best priced...

metro
08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
hotels.com

Karried
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I just stayed at the Westin at the Airport... it was a nice hotel but I don't recommend it unless you are flying out of Dallas.

The pool was on the roof was pretty small and left a lot to be desired.

The upside, the hotel offered us free self parking and we were gone 16 days! Parking at the Airport would have been a fortune. The other great thing is that I got it through Hotwire for $69 bucks.. I checked the rates right before we left and they were close to $200 bucks so it was a steal. Negatives: Denny's is across the street (only close off site restaurant), dry county, can't buy beer or wine???

Positives: heavenly beds, free parking and shuttle.. I recommend it for travelers. Very clean, quiet, great concierge service.

Try Hotwire or Priceline.. you could get a great 4 - 4.5 star hotel for a steal.

Priceline and Hotwire Forum (http://www.betterbidding.com/)

The site above will help you figure out what you are bidding on before you actually buy.

oumoodman85
08-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Hotel Palomar is right off 75 and Mockingbird--supposed to be a great boutique hotel and is pretty centrally located. Hotel ZaZa lives up to the hype as well. Many of my friends have stayed there and loved it. Located close to (or in) Uptown where all the "cool" and trendy bars are located. Anything in Uptown would be a great choice if you want to limit the time you spend in your car.

amandagall5
08-19-2008, 05:24 PM
I am not that familiar with Dallas, is the Palomar anywhere near the Galleria? I know the Westin is at the Galleria, has anybody stayed there?

GWB
08-19-2008, 05:47 PM
I am not that familiar with Dallas, is the Palomar anywhere near the Galleria? I know the Westin is at the Galleria, has anybody stayed there?

Never stayed there but my wife and I go to Dallas quite often. We prefer to stay in Frisco because of all the stores, restaurants and they have a nice mall there too. Are you open to staying in Frisco? If so, I will share with you where we've stayed if you're interested.

Here are a couple of of links you can go to for reviews on the Westin. Nice thing about the Westin is that it's connected to the Galleria Mall and there's some shopping centers nearby across the street as well.

Latest Reviews of Westin Galleria Dallas (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-372611-prod-hotel-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AgvDpLMD2SV6W5L_i7n2HeHiphQB)

The Westin Galleria Dallas Hotel - Unbiased Reviews - TravelPost.com (http://www.travelpost.com/hotels/The_Westin_Galleria_Dallas/h39788#reviews)

oumoodman85
08-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Hotel Palomar is probably 5 minutes from Northpark and 15 minutes from the Galleria.

Frisco is a great place--but would be on my list of places to "live" and not to "visit." Yes, it has Ikea and some decent shopping, but the drive to central Dallas isn't worth it for someone just visiting for a couple of days.

To maximize a short visit, stay in between 635 and downtown (north and south borders) and the Dallas North Tollway and 75 (west and east borders). Pretty much everything that you could want to do in Dallas can be found within this boundary; i.e. Northpark, Preston Square (Sprinkles, restaurants, great shopping), Highland Park Village (upscale shopping), and Uptown (great bars, restaurants, local trolley, etc.).

bretthexum
08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
We always stay at the Hilton Lincoln Center on 635/Tollway. The Galleria is right across the freeway and Northpark is about 10-15 minutes. Plus all of the Addison restaurants are right up the road too.

Midtowner
08-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I like the Hyatt Regency. It's enormous, rooms are semi-reasonable, depending on how you define reasonable, and there's tons to do at the hotel itself, not to mention, it's within easy walking distance of the West End.

I usually stay there during OU-TX weekend.

edcrunk
08-25-2008, 03:27 PM
palomar is at central and mockingbird across from mockingbird station. it's the old hilton.

the galleria is far north dallas off of tollway and 635.