View Full Version : Ward 6 Councilwoman Ann Simank resigning

metro
08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I wonder if I'm eligible to run....

FOX25 (http://www.kokh.com/template/inews_wire/wires.regional.ok/265461c5-www.okcfox.com.shtml)

Longtime OKC councilwoman Simank resigning
August 19, 2008 10:17 EDT

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Longtime Oklahoma City councilwoman Ann Simank is resigning because her son is joining the city's fire department.

The 58-year-old Simank, who has represented a ward in inner Oklahoma City for 13 years, has scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon to formally announce she is stepping down.

Her son, 29-year-old Dow Simank, will begin training at the fire department's academy on Friday, at which time he will a city employee. The city charter prohibits council members from having relatives who work for the city.

Ann Simank took office eight days before the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995. A special election will be held on Nov. 4 to fill Simank's council seat, with a runoff set for Dec. 9 if necessary.

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 12:00 PM
It's too bad. She has been a good councilwoman. On the otherhand, this is likely to be a much more contested race than we've ever had, with issues like mass transit and parking downtown very HOT right now. I'd vote for you, metro.

bigjkt405
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
I know both Ann and Dow. Dow and I graduated hs together and its good to see him doing well.

Kerry
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
She will be missed.

OKCMallen
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
It would be pretty amazing to get an OKCTalker on there!

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 02:49 PM
There are a lot of good candidates here.

amaesquire
08-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Steve Lackmeyer for City Council!!! I'll start making the signs.

soonerj
08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I hate to see her go. She has been a wonderful councilwoman. She and I chatted the other day about some improvements she wanted to make along Drexel Blvd., south of NW 23. I hope that her plans are carried out by the next individual.

bornhere
08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
On the other hand, this is likely to be a much more contested race than we've ever had, with issues like mass transit and parking downtown very HOT right now.

I'm a ward 6 resident, and I think the issues that matter to most people here are a lot more mundane: code enforcement, animal control and streets are probably the big three. We also have some large property owners of dubious reputation and minimal sense of responsibility.

Crime remains an issue in this ward as well, with a lot of drug-influenced burglaries as well as tagging and other vandalism.

I think there's also a lingering sense here that ward 6 doesn't get an equitable share of infrastructure improvements, such as parks and spraygrounds.

I also think there's a very good chance there will be a Latino candidate, and that the shifting ethnic demographic will be a factor in the race.

metro
08-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Well said bornhere.

EvokeCoffee
08-19-2008, 03:46 PM
We were all happy to hear that she finally got historic lighting pass (something that was talked about long ago but never acted upon) so that was great to hear!

I hope the replacement will work on bike paths next - something Ann also said she would help us with but never got to...

BailJumper
08-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm personally glad to see her go. She liked the office but I saw very little in the way of real progress from her. She'd get on whatever bandwagon was going by. I saw very few examples of actual initiative from her. I also hear from people downtown that she'd show up for this and that but never followup. However, that is pretty typical for many members of our city council.

Blazerfan11
09-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Who is Ian Clarke?

bornhere
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
There's an Ian Clarke who works at Red Prime Steakhouse. Why?

The Old Downtown Guy
09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
I hope an intellegent progressive leader steps up to run for this seat. Ward Six is almost the entierity of urban revitilization in Oklahoma City. The Ward 6 Boundries are 23rd Street on the North, 44th Street on the South, Portland on the West and Santa Fe on the East . . . no burbs in Ward 6.

Midtown, C2S, Capitol Hill, Stockyards, The Plaza District and Downtown are all in Ward 6. Ward 6 is the future of Oklahoma City.

jbrown84
09-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree ODG. Like I said, there are a lot of people here that would fit that bill.

Blazerfan11
09-07-2008, 04:35 PM
There's an Ian Clarke who works at Red Prime Steakhouse. Why?

My wife and I had a GREEEEEEEAT dinner there Friday night and some folks there were talking about him possibly running.

jbrown84
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
What does he do at Red Prime?

soonerfan21
09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I believe he is the wine manager - Tuck is that correct? I saw a video on the newsok.com video page with him discussing the restaurant in general but wines specifically.

tuck
09-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Ian is Director of Wine and Spirits at Red PrimeSteak. He does an amazing job for us. I have not heard for sure if he is running.

metro
09-08-2008, 07:53 AM
I've heard he is a possibility but not a definite, I know of a few other possible candidates but will let this play out after Sept. 17th and we'll just see for ourselves.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Meg Salyer, the driving force behind the revitilization of Automobile Alley and civic leader of the highest magnitude, has filed for the vacant Ward 6 seat and kicked off her campaign yesterday evening.

This is great news for Midtown, downtown, Core 2 Shore, Stockyards and Capitol Hill.

Meg is a dynamic and effective visionary with an unequaled history of successful civic projects on her resume . . . She is the real deal . . . as big league as they come . . . and our city is fortunate to have pepole of her caliber who are willing to step up at and confront the challenges and help make the decisions that will take us where we want to go.

Steve
09-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Steve Lackmeyer for City Council!!! I'll start making the signs.

Oh good lord no. I'm just the annoying fly on the wall.

metro
09-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks for posting this ODG. Good to see you last night!

Oh and to the others above, Ian Clarke did not file.

rinni
09-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Meg is a dynamic and effective visionary with an unequaled history of successful civic projects on her resume . . . She is the real deal . . . as big league as they come . . . and our city is fortunate to have pepole of her caliber who are willing to step up at and confront the challenges and help make the decisions that will take us where we want to go.

I agree. Meg is someone who truly has the best interests of the city at heart. She truly puts her time and money into making OKC a better place to live. She is also one of the kindest people that I have ever met.

DelCamino
09-18-2008, 08:46 AM

jbrown84
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Good news. Can't imagine anyone much better.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
There is no more importan election to what happens day to day in OKC than City Council and this is going to be wierd year because of all of the major elections at the same time.

I am helping with the campaign and we are involved in a very short time frame fund raising effort right now. Anyone interested in contributing $250 or $100 can PM me and I will give you the mailing address and other info.

Involved is good . . .

bornhere
09-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Has anyone else announced an intention to run?

metro
09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes bornhere, one candidate owns a hat and boot store in the stockyards.