View Full Version : VIP Sightings

jstanthrnme
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I figured I'd start a thread for those who have ran across a VIP here in Oklahoma City. Celebrities, politicians, musicians, atheletes or any random local commercial spokesperson. Obviously, privacy is an issue, and should be considered within the context of the occurence. That being said:

I saw Desmond Mason at Hideaway Pizza tonight. I wonder what brings him to town so soon. House shopping? Promotional stuff?

PennyQuilts
08-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Now that the Sonics are moving here, you may be seeing more. A realtor friend of ours was on the lookout for a bunch of high end homes up in Edmond. Surely they will have company drop in.

so1rfan
08-18-2008, 05:53 AM
I ran into Wayne Coyne at the Home Depot at 59th and May once.

rinni
08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I saw Doug Loudenback at the Arena campaign watch party at Nonna's.

OKCTalker
08-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I'll be available for autographs and photographs at noon today. Sonic on Western.

LordGerald
08-18-2008, 09:49 AM
I've bumped into Mark Harmon, Rick Sutcliff, Bob Stoops and the late Bobby Murcer, two separate times, at of all places: Nonnas.

OKCDrummer77
08-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Once when I was downtown, I saw then-mayor Humphries along with two other people I didn't know. They asked me to take a couple of pictures of them, which I did.

I have seen local meteorologists Grant Johnston and Jonathan Conder at Blazers games.

I met Mayor Cornett at the NBA All-Star watch party at Buffalo Wild Wings. I also met three fellow OKCTalkers there.

AAC2005
08-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I saw Country singer Phil Vassar ("That's When I Love You", "Another Day in Paradise" and a couple of other tunes that escape me) at Will Rogers Airport in December 2006. He was coming in on the same Southwest flight as my son and future daughter-in-law (BWI-MCI-OKC).

I thought about approaching him, but he had that "It's been a long day" look about him, so I did the polite thing and just stared.

metro
08-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Wayne Coyne has been spotted at numerous places, including Coffee Slingers in Automobile Alley. Eva Longoria was at Trattoria Il Centro when the Hornets were here.

Personal Encounters: Bill Cosby at the downtown Renaissance hotel, Mickey Tettleton, Bob Stoops, Vince Gill, Amy Grant, Phil Mickelson, Fred Couples, Charles Howell III, and numerous other pro golfers, I've all met these at Gaillardia. Met Wayne Coyne last year at the Flaming Lips Alley dedication. Met Shiny Toy Guns last time they played here. Probably a few more but I can't think of them at the moment.

Karried
08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
I've seen a few Hornets players out and about .. Chris Paul getting gas on Valentine's Day in Edmond and Birdman at Jimmy's Eggs in NW OKC off of May.

OKCMallen
08-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Wayne Coyne at Abuelos in Bricktown. Clay Bennett parks in my parking lot, so I see him almost once a week now that the team is back.

LordGerald
08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
My all-time favorite run-in was with Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden when I was a junior in high school in 1982. My buddy Dave and I ran into him at Sooner (Fashion) Mall before they opened up for 38 Special. He was roaming around on a summer afternoon killing time. I saw a short guy with long hair and leather jacket and knew only a foreigner would be caught in Norman on a 100 degree day dressed like that.

Stinger
08-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I knew I should have followed that Black Bentley I saw on Memorial yesterday. Had to be "somebody". Now that I've seen this thread, I'll be on my game.

MadMonk
08-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Years ago I ran into Vince Gill and Amy Grant at the airport. They were very nice people (especially considering it was late and they were just getting off a flight). My wife got an autograph and a picture of him holding my daughter. :rolleyes:

Richard at Remax
08-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I ran into Shaq at 2am at the IHOP in Bricktown the night before the Heat played the hornets. I didn't want to approach him fearing I might have gotten eaten.

metro
08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
My all-time favorite run-in was with Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden when I was a junior in high school in 1982. My buddy Dave and I ran into him at Sooner (Fashion) Mall before they opened up for 38 Special. He was roaming around on a summer afternoon killing time. I saw a short guy with long hair and leather jacket and knew only a foreigner would be caught in Norman on a 100 degree day dressed like that.

THE Bruce Dickinson? I gotta have more Cowbell..........

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cSCrXCWNL._AA280_.jpg

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
PJ Brown at the mall
Jeff Caple
Blake Griffin

edcrunk
08-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Met Shiny Toy Guns last time they played here.
they rent a house in gatewood. i owned a club with jeremy dawson (keys, bass) and i was their first tour manager. they've been out of town a lot lately as they finish up their new album.

bornhere
08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
The guy in the black Bentley is just a guy who can afford a Bentley, I think. Same for the guy with the Aston Martin who ruined a really sweet ride by getting the vanity tag 00SEVEN.

jstanthrnme
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
The guy in the black Bentley is just a guy who can afford a Bentley, I think. Same for the guy with the Aston Martin who ruined a really sweet ride by getting the vanity tag 00SEVEN.

I've seen the black Bentley turning in to Chesapeake before. I've also seen a red Ferrari and a maroon Maserati driving down Western.

For the Aston Martin, the plates seem a little over-the-top. I haven't seen it, but I'd imagine I would do a double-take. Livin' the dream, that guy.

edcrunk
08-19-2008, 01:48 AM
I've seen the black Bentley turning in to Chesapeake before. I've also seen a red Ferrari and a maroon Maserati driving down Western.

For the Aston Martin, the plates seem a little over-the-top. I haven't seen it, but I'd imagine I would do a double-take. Livin' the dream, that guy.

i've seen the red ferrari on classen as well.

metro
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I think we're talking more A-list celebrities and not locals with cash.

kmf563
08-19-2008, 10:10 AM
they rent a house in gatewood. i owned a club with jeremy dawson (keys, bass) and i was their first tour manager. they've been out of town a lot lately as they finish up their new album.

I had no idea Dawson was even a part of that group. I've known Chad Petree since 1987 - I think he was like 8 years old or something then. I am friends with his brother.

What exactly are we classifying as VIP?
I see and have seen (and know) famous Oklahomans everywhere. Wayne Coyne, Tyson Meade, Steve & Chad Petree, Hansons, Tyson Ritter, Nick Wheeler, Bryan Abrams, Sam Watters, Dameon & Gabe Aranda, Craig Groeschel, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, Bob Stoops, Barry Switzer, David Green, and The Boz.

Non Oklahomans include Chuck Dennie, Shaq, Kobe Bryant, The Von Erics, Bill Cosby, Trent Reznor, Sam Elliott, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Gene Simmons, Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton, Mark Harmon, .....it could go on forever.

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Followed Graham Colton from the Cox Center ballroom all the way across the skywalk and out the lobby of the Renaissance. (I was on my way out too, not stalking him) I also quasi-met him at a pep rally at Heritage Hall where he was performing and I was shooting video.

I saw Jason White in his store at Penn Square just the other day.

I saw Clay Bennett in the Leadership Square lobby a couple months ago.

I saw Drew Edmondson eating lunch with Mike Turpin at Iron Starr about 6 weeks ago.

I've seen Jenni Carlson at the post office AND getting gas at 7-Eleven. I've also since met her through a friend.

And my best one wasn't in OKC, but I was sitting in the Orlando airport at my gate, and noticed that SNL's Darrell Hammond was sitting just 10 feet from me, trying his best not to be noticed.

OKCDrummer77
08-19-2008, 12:19 PM
I've also seen BJ Wexler, host of OETA's Movie Club, on a few occasions.

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Blake Griffin

I shot a news package on him when he was in high school. Will be worth something when he's big in the NBA maybe.

jstanthrnme
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
I think we're talking more A-list celebrities and not locals with cash.

I don't know about just A-listers, though they certainly qualify.

I'd like to hear about someone running into Wava at Homeland, Bob Mills at Byrons, or two of the Ogle brothers in a public restroom together.

I think anyone who most people would recognize fits the scope of this thread.

jsibelius
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
I spotted Bob Stoops being welcomed as the newest member of this community just now. :D

I did see Lance West at PetSMart, bring his dogs in to be groomed. Somebody asked him about getting zapped by the taser. Someone else asked him which station he was on. His answer was pretty funny. He said "The good one."

tuck
08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I can't belive no one has mentioned Rex Linn...Tin Cup, CSI Miami. He is from OKC, lives in Texas. He told me that his Tin Cup role is still his favorite. He also had some great Cheech Marin stories.

jbrown84
08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
My friend saw Rex Linn at the Colcord a few months back.