View Full Version : Nonexistent Local Delicacies (Past and Future)

jstanthrnme
08-16-2008, 04:02 AM
The title pretty much says it all.
What are some of the things you miss and look forward to in terms of local food options? I'll be happy to start with:

Past: Split-T Theta Burger - No one can replicate the theta sauce.

Future: Braums Glazed Doughnut Ice Cream - does this not make perfect sense?

jsibelius
08-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Who needs Braums Glazed Doughnut when you have Coldstone Cake Batter Ice Cream? With candy mixed in? Dang. Now I KNOW I have to make a stop later tonight...

This town needs a Weinerschnitzel. Ever had a chicken dog wrapped in corn meal on a stick? (That's a corn dog to you...) A regular corn dog just doesn't cut it - you have to make the hot dog out of something actually good.

Here's one that's maybe not a delicacy, but more like a legend or a rumor...a really great hamburger on the cheap. Like a drive-in hamburger stand that looks like its on its last legs but serves the best greasy-burgers and homemade fries ever, along with Coke served in generic cups, all for about $5. (Used to be $3.50, but I'll give a little for the gas prices we've had the last couple of years).

metro
08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Midwest City had a Weinerschnitzel up until a year or two ago.

OKCisOK4me
08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
OKC needs a Fudruckers. That place is good.

jsibelius
08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Midwest City had a Weinerschnitzel up until a year or two ago.

They heard I was coming and decided to leave. meh...

What?! No Fuddruckers?! That's just hard to believe. I stopped going there after the roaches crawled across the counter when we went to get our food, but this being a different city and all... I might be willing to give 'em another chance.

OKCisOK4me
08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
What?! No Fuddruckers?! That's just hard to believe. I stopped going there after the roaches crawled across the counter when we went to get our food, but this being a different city and all... I might be willing to give 'em another chance.

I heard somebody say that there was suppose to be one but they couldn't acquire a liquor license or something along that line.

Cockroaches are universal. Maybe they just came out to give you a high five, lol.

NativeOkie
08-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Local, OKC.
I think of two places.
Coits Rootbeer and chilidogs, good onion rings as I remember.
Charcoal Oven Hickory burger with shredded Cheddar, DANG!
as far a great cheap burger we have In n Out here.
Double with hand cut fries and shake all under 5 bucks in California.
Oh forgot Ann's Chicken fry house on 39th expy.

John
08-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Here's one that's maybe not a delicacy, but more like a legend or a rumor...a really great hamburger on the cheap. Like a drive-in hamburger stand that looks like its on its last legs but serves the best greasy-burgers and homemade fries ever, along with Coke served in generic cups, all for about $5. (Used to be $3.50, but I'll give a little for the gas prices we've had the last couple of years).

In Norman, but that sounds like Sooner Dairy Lunch.

metro
08-19-2008, 08:22 AM
OKC4me, yes Fuddruckers announced 2 locations for the metro about 2-3 years ago. There's an old thread on it here on the site, not sure why they bailed though.

OKCMallen
08-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Like a drive-in hamburger stand that looks like its on its last legs but serves the best greasy-burgers and homemade fries ever, along with Coke served in generic cups, all for about $5. (Used to be $3.50, but I'll give a little for the gas prices we've had the last couple of years).

I hear a Meers burger is one of the best...?

OKCDrummer77
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM

You hear right. It's well worth the drive.

Also, I ate at Ron's Hamburgers (50th and May) last night. On Mondays from 5:00 to close, you get a burger, fries and drink for $5.00. The burger is smaller than most on their menu, but it's still good deal.

Midtowner
08-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Hell yes.

Longhorn beef raised on a diet of Sudan grass. It's 99% lean and damned tasty.

jsibelius
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I heard somebody say that there was suppose to be one but they couldn't acquire a liquor license or something along that line.

Cockroaches are universal. Maybe they just came out to give you a high five, lol.

Well...maybe. I had just given a heckuva good concert just before we arrived. I think the problem there was they were using empty beer cases as decoration. Bad form. Of course the mouse droppings in the brownies didn't go over well either. The health department was a constant thorn in their side until they shut down that location and moved across town. Talk about delicacies! Yum!

jsibelius
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM

You hear right. It's well worth the drive.

Also, I ate at Ron's Hamburgers (50th and May) last night. On Mondays from 5:00 to close, you get a burger, fries and drink for $5.00. The burger is smaller than most on their menu, but it's still good deal.

Hell yes.

Longhorn beef raised on a diet of Sudan grass. It's 99% lean and damned tasty.

Okay I'm takin' notes, so addresses please...

(I've never eaten at Ron's for that cheap, but maybe they jack up their prices for Edmond?)

Dave Cook
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
How about the house salad dressing at Nicolosi's? That was my all-time favorite salad dressing.

And the family continues to sit on the recipe. They could bottle it and make some green, if they ever needed it.

Stinger
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Owasso got a brand new Fudruckers recently and it's already closed.

amaesquire
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM

Try the Brown Derby in Shawnee, on Kickapoo, maybe a half-mile south of OBU.

amaesquire
08-19-2008, 03:22 PM

Nothing better than a burger served in a pie pan, cut into quarters...

NE Oasis
08-19-2008, 03:40 PM
We have Eischens!!!!!!!

OKCDrummer77
08-19-2008, 08:51 PM

(I've never eaten at Ron's for that cheap, but maybe they jack up their prices for Edmond?)

Ron's isn't normally that cheap. Most of their burgers start at $5.50, not including fries and drink. Those burgers, as I'm sure you know, are quite large. The burger that comes with the special is no bigger around than a Quarter-Pounder (but it tastes much better). They do throw in enough fries to make it a filling meal, though.

By "addresses", I'm assuming you mean Meers. Here's how to get there, quick-and-dirty version. Take I-44 (HE Bailey Turnpike) towards Lawton. Get off at SH-49 (Exit 45). Follow 49 west to SH-115 north. On 115, Meers will be on your left.

alan
08-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Ron's 1 Lb. Owen's sausage burger smothered in chili and shredded cheese with a side of fried jalapeno's.

mmmmmmmmm

OKCDrummer77
08-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Ron's 1 Lb. Owen's sausage burger smothered in chili and shredded cheese with a side of fried jalapeno's.

mmmmmmmmm

That sounds really good! I almost got heartburn just reading that post. :hungry:

Midtowner
08-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Meers - Store & Restaurant (http://www.meersstore.com/)

jsibelius
08-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Awesome. I'll be able to make a stop at Meers on the next trip out for Thanksgiving.

These are some great ideas. I can't wait to try them. We seem to have hijacked the thread though. The subject says "nonexistent." :ot: Not that I've minded a bit...

namellac
08-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Spanish Fries at Ron's! and their chili ain't bad either.

Wasn't there a Fuddruckers on the NE corner of Penn and Memorial over 10-15 years ago? Or am I confusing it with something with a similar name? It was there when there was a movie theater in the same complex.

XtraStout
09-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Leslie's painted desert... on shartel. i miss the white chili, buffalo chicken sandwich, crab and cheese dip.. oh and the two-fers.

tastee freeze, dairy queen, taco villa..
oh and fudruckers had a # listed in the last phone book i looked at

angel27
09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Like a drive-in hamburger stand that looks like its on its last legs but serves the best greasy-burgers and ).

and a chocolate/pinapple malt! yum.

y_h
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Technically, since I left OKC in 1993, I miss it all. But narrowing it down to those items I won't be able to savor on my next visit to town, it's the Remington Chicken Sandwich from The Varsity as well as the Split T's chili.

SoonerQueen
10-20-2008, 03:37 AM

We agree. We love Fuddruckers. They have one in Tulsa and one in Branson Missouri.

bluedogok
10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Frankie's Big Donut

Shotgun Sam's Pizza

Braum's Cinnamon Crumb Cake ice cream that they used to have around Christmas.

metro
10-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Here's a few more if your interested:

http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/7208-names-past.html

There's also a few other threads discussing the issue, haven't found them yet.

SoonerQueen
10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Does anyone remember Billie Lee's pies? They had the most delicious strawberry pie with real whipped cream. I also remember Sirloin Stockade. They had the best French salad dressing and the best salad bar in town at that time.Their steaks were much better than Western Sizzlin. I think the mass murder killed business here and they eventually went out of business here.

bluedogok
10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
I remember those pies, my parents still have a tin from there. Strawberry is still my favorite.

Sirloin Stockade went out of business in OKC because of bad management, there are some interesting stories from those who worked for the OKC area franchisee.
There is a Sirloin Stockade down here (Round Rock I think) and it is nothing more than a Golden Corral now, very disappointing.

jsibelius
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
I miss Weinerschnitzel.

metro
10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Call me crazy, but shouldn't this thread be called "Local Delicacies - Current and Past?"
After all, how do we know what delicacies of the future will be, and how do we know they will be nonexistent? :)

old okie
10-25-2008, 08:57 PM
The foods we miss most: steaks from Glen's Hickory Inn, Dairy Queen chocolate dip cones, & pies from Tippins.

old okie
10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Call me crazy, but shouldn't this thread be called "Local Delicacies - Current and Past?"
After all, how do we know what delicacies of the future will be, and how do we know they will be nonexistent? :)

Well, if they are "innovative," as in not fried and otherwise dipped in grease, they probably won't be found in OKC! ;)

progressiveboy
10-26-2008, 12:35 PM
I remember there was a restaurant on Britton Road called Picks Fine Foods and they had the best house dressing. If I remember correctly it was like a French/Catalina dressing with a hint of garlic taste. It was fantastic! Sleepy Hollow was good at one time but last time I was in town I had heard it had closed some time ago. Anna Maude and the Queen Anne were great for home cooking cafeteria style.

metro
10-27-2008, 09:11 AM
We agree. We love Fuddruckers. They have one in Tulsa and one in Branson Missouri.

Just some trivia, OKC did have Fuddruckers back in the 80's. Can't remember why they closed. They were supposed to open 2 locations 2 years ago again but never did. Not sure why. There is a Fuddruckers thread with more info on the topic and links to articles if you're curious.

bluedogok
10-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Fuddruckers has been struggling some, they are based in San Antonio so we occasionally get some business news from there. They have had trouble figuring out what "concept" they want to be and the stores look like it. When I first moved here we went there a bunch, now not so often. We have a new favorite, it is a new concept by the Austin area Rudy's BBQ franchisee called Mighty Fine Burgers (http://www.mightyfineburgers.com/). There is one open near my office and they are opening up another location south not far from where we live.