View Full Version : iPhone Reception & Missed Calls

OKCTalker
08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Am I the only guy missing half of my iPhone/AT&T incoming calls, regardless of location in the metro? If you've got an iPhone (original, not 3G), have had problems and know of a solution, please share.

I'm only receiving 1/3 - 1/2 of incoming calls (the rest go straight to voicemail). Attempts at a solution have been asking AT&T to check my account, replacing the SIM chip, and even replacing the phone 2 weeks ago. I've missed four calls today, all business-related, and I'm PI**ED!

Luke
08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Take it to the Apple Store and have them look at it. That's not right.

OKCTalker
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
BTDT 2 weeks ago. No better, and that was after AT&T replaced the SIM chip the week before.

jsibelius
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Here's (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007453.html) an article on PC World yesterday. It's not your imagination, evidently.

Luke
08-15-2008, 07:20 PM
Take it back. That is not normal. If the sim card has been replaced and it is still exhibiting those symptoms, then there is something wrong with the phone.

bwana_bob
08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Here's (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007453.html) an article on PC World yesterday. It's not your imagination, evidently.

The article strictly applies to the 3G iPhone - not the original which is the subject of the post.

My wife and I experienced the same problem for several days - ironically, not immediately after the 2.0 upgrade but during the following week. It seems to have cleared up - neither one of us have had the problem for two weeks. Here's what we did and/or didn't do: Neither one of us replaced the SIM cards or had anyone at the Apple Store or AT&T look at the phones. We did manually reset the phones and in my case, offloaded some content that put me dangerously close to 8MB. We installed the 2.01 update (it actually ran very smoothly). We've updated all of the applications we've downloaded in the Apps Store (I think some of these early versions were very buggy). Finally - and this seems barely notable but you never know - we cleaned up our MobileMe setup so that we stopped all syncing of data through iTunes and made it all push through MobileMe. My only thought on this was that the missed calls always seemed to occur when away from home or office where I have WIFI. I don't have a tool to analyze how the iPhone handles phone calls when Edge is engaged, and it was never a problem previously but, it was never getting data "pushed" to it. So... all I can offer is that the problem exists in the 1st generation iPhone but that the solution is uniquely Apple: it self healed. Good luck!

Toadrax
08-16-2008, 12:02 AM
I have a first generation phone, and I never miss calls except when my ringer volume is down all the way...

I'm not sure how it gets turned down all the way as of this moment, but I keep an eye out on it.

Steve
08-16-2008, 11:40 AM
This becoming national news:
ABC News: Rotten Apple? Problems Plague 3G iPhone (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5583416&page=1)

actionman
08-16-2008, 01:25 PM
That articles does not apply to the original problem.

Toadrax
08-16-2008, 02:16 PM
As far as the new phones go...

Anyone who used an original iPhone on wifi would have known that the 3g wasn't going to help much. There wasn't much of a difference between browsing on edge or wifi due to the phone itself not having enough ram...

Unless you were in a poor part of town that at&t doesn't care about, the edge network was already pushing the limits of what the phone itself could handle.

Steve
08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
It does and doesn't ... I hear from a lot of people who are dissatisfied with ATT wireless service.

jsibelius
08-16-2008, 08:08 PM
The article strictly applies to the 3G iPhone - not the original which is the subject of the post.

Sorry...I was skimming, I guess. Hope you get your problem solved.

jbrown84
08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I just got one of the new 3G iPhones and I have had some problems with poor service.

More Bars in More Places, my butt. More like no bars in most places. Wish I wasn't married to AT&T to get the iPhone...

Toadrax
08-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Ya, nothing like being downtown in your office and not getting reception.

Such is life with at&t.

loulang2000
08-18-2008, 12:03 PM
On the Iphone- has anyone had theirs just not respond. Doesn't turn on at all. Hard rest only thing to bring it back?
Thanx for any clues. New iphone 3G, BTW

Superhyper
08-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Mine works fine on Tmobile ^_^

actionman
08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
I'd be willing to bet that EVERYBODY complains about their physical cell phone and provider at some point in time. Everybody. And I think I'd have a pretty safe bet.

Toadrax
08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I never complained about my sprint phone or service.. they complained about me. I'm not allowed to use their services ever again.

Long story, but it involved a significant other and a bill I still haven't paid. :P

darnell
08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I never complained about my sprint phone or service.. they complained about me. I'm not allowed to use their services ever again.

Long story, but it involved a significant other and a bill I still haven't paid. :P

is this a past significant? lol

btw, same problem. i'm using 2g iphone with ver. 2.0 (5A347). you can check ver# going to setting/general/about/
2.0.2 is out (hoping it fixes). i'll get back to update on experience. hit the "check for update" button in iTunes when syncing iphone.

bwana_bob
08-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Allegedly 2.02 is designed to address problems with the 3G chipset and resultant dropped calls - not the problem described in this post. That having been said, it will be interesting to see if 2.02 is the solution to the problems outlined at the beginning of this thread. Perhaps they'll give us 60 free days of phone service, ala the Mobile Me "make goods."

jbrown84
08-20-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah I got that email about the extension of MobileMe. I didn't even realize there had been problems.

Toadrax
08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Hrm.

I figured out the calls I miss are not because of the ringer volume.

I watched the phone receive a call visually, but it of course was not making any sound so I ignored the call, turned it on, and checked the ringer volume and it was set to max.

I'm thinking it might be getting confused and thinking I still have my headphones plugged into it. I am going to make sure it plays sound to the external speaker each time I finish with the headphones and see if it does it again.