View Full Version : Kelley Pointe at 33rd and Kelly....

slick
08-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I found this on the internet, B.D. Eddie Enterprises - Kelley Pointe, Edmond, OK (http://www.kelleypointe.com). It looks to be a new Office/Retail/Residential park in Edmond and looks rather nice.

I was wondering if anyone had information on this area, such as, is it a nice area for what the website is proposing? I am assisting my family in developing in a hotel, and saw that there is a 3 acre hotel pad in that development, is the area suited for a hotel?

I don't visit Edmond much, so I have a hard time picturing 33rd and Kelly, am I correct to assume its west of the train tracks, next to that big water tower?

Hollywood
08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
It has been awhile since I lived in Edmond fulltime but to initially help you are correct about the location of the area. 33rd and Kelly is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile west of the tracks. On the northeast corner is a Post Office, the southeast corner has a warehouse (or used to, things change to quick) and the southwest corner has a convenience store. Last I recalled the land to the northwest was undeveloped. Again, things in Edmond change constantly so I may be incorrect in detail but that is a base overview of that area to help you picture it.

Edit to Add: I browsed the link and indeed the land northwest of the intersection is as of this time undeveloped. The site plan show would fit in that spot. It shows Petra's facility listed within the plan so if I am measuring correct, the site plan appears to extend about 1/3 to 1/2 mile north of th intersection. A decent sized development. Will be interesting to see it progress and I believe it could be done well.

As far as a hotel location, to be honest I am not all that business savvy and would probably be off par if I had to choose. From what I have seen each time I return to Edmond (hope to return permanently next spring!) the areas on the edge of town are really pushing to be developed nicely so as to be a welcoming sight upon entering the city. While not close per se, the area is somewhat convenient to the 235 and the Turnpike so I could see the possibility of a hotel being successful. I am certain their are much worse locations.

Regardless, hope this helped a little and best of luck.

John
08-14-2008, 02:51 PM
This area will become even more frequently traveled after they finish the Memorial/Broadway/Kelley interchange.

It's a quality development.

bretthexum
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Is there some sort of Edmond ordinance prohibiting tall office buildings? I can't think of any over a few stories.

Hollywood
08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
This area will become even more frequently traveled after they finish the Memorial/Broadway/Kelley interchange.

It's a quality development.

That is a great point which I had overlooked since I am not having to interact with the construction. The ability to immediately access Kelley northbound will increase traffic greatly. Good point John.

jsibelius
08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Is there some sort of Edmond ordinance prohibiting tall office buildings? I can't think of any over a few stories.

Probably not, but they don't make a lot of fiscal sense unless you're building in an area where there's very little land (like an urban downtown area). You generally won't see taller office buildings anywhere except in downtown areas in larger cities.

slick
08-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Is there an aerial of the interchange coming to the area? I would love to see how that will look when completed.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate the information.

bwana_bob
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
This development has morphed over time. It was originally touted as a high tech business park - noting that it was part of the Southwestern Bell Fiber Park (that should date it back to at least 2000). The first building opened in 2002 and was very aesthetically appealing. As the market changed and the concept of a fiber park was clearly not driving business, the development became mixed use. I was very skeptical of housing in an area that is largely industrial (about 1/2 mile west of the water tower someone else mentioned) but the houses are nice with a well landscaped buffer to 33rd. The variety of buildings on the property is fairly significant, especially when compared to developments like Fischer Hall on Boulevard/Eastern in Edmond. Some of these later buildings at Kelley Pointe are more in the class of typical Edmond office space (built to look like over-sized houses) but a second 4-story Class "A" office building was recently completed that gives the development some more impressive heft. I pass through this area regularly and concur that the upgraded interchange at Broadway will only improve the value of new and existing development in this area. The more recent additions to the industrial zone have been more upscale (i.e., All Star Motors, etc.) so I think they are succeeding in pulling that area up. Nonetheless, Kelley Pointe shares the 33rd and Kelly interchange with a Circle K Shell Station on the SW, US Post Office Substation on the NE and a warehouse operation (used to be TG&Y) on the SE. The warehouse is well maintained by its current owner, Remy. They rebadged to the parent name recently from Unit Parts but it is all the same company (Remy acquired Unit Parts in 2005 or so). I can't imagine a hotel there but I've been wrong before. My biggest knock on the hotel would be Edmond's push to confine lodging to a few corridors - primarily 2nd & I-35 and on Broadway south of 33rd. There is new lodging proposed around UCO and possible lodging that will be tied to a proposed convention center at I-35 & either 15th or Covell so that would create 4 lodging hot spots with multiple units at each. Despite many posts here to the contrary, about 75% of the most recent development in Edmond has been an improvement to the community. The rest is dreck - a casebook study of first time developers foisting their limited judgement, "make a buck on the quick" mentality and abhorrence of environmental and architectural aesthetics on the general public. I have a ready list of 35 buildings in Edmond that I would bulldoze tomorrow if given the option. Of course, I have a similarly sized list for every suburb in the metro (yes, even Norman).

tpm
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
slick, please call the company (i think the phone # is on all their signage) and they would be more than happy to discuss this matter with your family. i am very well acquainted with them and i know for a fact that they are looking for a good hotel development. good luck!

bwana_bob
08-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I incorrectly identified the height of the most recent office building - it is 3 stories, not 4. The original building, which is just south of the new structure, is 2 stories.

slick
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I am going to call them on Monday to see what they say about the hotel development. I would like to get an idea of what they are looking for. My uncle is the developer in the family, so I would bring the project to him to consider. Unfortunately, he's in Beijing right now (lucky guy, always gets cool invites like this).
I'll probably be up there today or tomorrow, taking pictures of the area and site, help my uncle visualize the area.
Again, thanks for all the help, so glad I found this website, lots of helpful, friendly members here :)