View Full Version : Is Tinsel Town dangerous?

theilluminatedfirefly
08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
One of my friends has a relative on the police force who has told her never to go to Tinsel Town to see a movie because of all the crime there.

Have I just missed hearing about the crime taking place there? Has anyone had any bad experiences there?

Personally, I've never had a problem and love the fact that any movie before 6 pm is still $3.50.

OKCMallen
08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Don't start nothing, won't be nothing. I've been alone in the evening and it's not a big deal. It's all very well-lit, etc.

Insider
08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I think the hype of Tinseltown is a little overdone. IMO, you are safer at Tinseltown than Quail because of all of the police officers. No matter what theatre you go to in town (except maybe Warren...only because I have not experienced an interuption yet), you will have the same problems, usually dealing with teenagers and their cell phones. Tinseltown is a nice theatre with great sound, large screens, and cheap tickets. However, the tickets are so cheap because they are not making money at that location. Thus, they offer cheap movie tickets to try to get more people to come to their theatre (The theatre makes very little money off of the actual movie ticket...they support themselves almost entirely off of concession sales). They have tried to get out of their lease several times and have been offered EXTREMELY good rent terms to stay.

:ou

sroberts24
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
its fine, i go there often, there old seats is the worst part

hipsterdoofus
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I remember when tinseltown was built and was the most popular theater in the area. The reason it quit being so wasn't due to the crime but rather the fact that AMC opened up at quail. I agree with the thought that you are better off their with all the cops around. I was at Tinseltown once when a fight broke out, but it was nothing that couldn't have happened anywhere else and was stopped quickly.

I like the dollar theaters myself anymore, but tinseltown is definitely a better deal than AMC....I always hate the stupid line at AMC where they make you walk the little maze even if there there is no one waiting. At tinseltown, even when it was busy, I never had to wait long - instead of 1 line, they'd have multiple lines.

swilki
08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Tinseltown is the best deal in town. I always feel fine when I go there, just be aware. I have never had a problem there and from my estimation the crowd isn't full of "thugs" that some claim are always there. Also, the seats are better than AMC. They recline, thats a plus IMO.

Richard at Remax
08-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I only go during the day now due to cheap tickets but I have been at night before and I have never had any problems

GWB
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
My son went there a month or so ago with his little boy. He said that when he was walking out to his car, there were some guys in the parking lot that kept him in their sight until he got in his car. He said he didn't feel too safe out in the parking lot for those brief moments. Thankfully, nothing happened, but he definitely felt "unsafe" until he drove out of the parking lot. I'm not saying it's dangerous there, but that was his experience.

venture
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I remember when it first opened. First couple times we great. Third time, came out of the movie...around 9pmish...only to find my passenger window busted out, glove boxes cleaned out, stereo and dash torn apart - factory stereo too...idiots.

Took about 30 minutes for the police to get there...they said its normal there and they normally had 3-4 calls a night, and this was in the first year of the place being opened. Needless to say, I sad to hell going to that part of town again and that theatre.

jsibelius
08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I've never felt unsafe there, but then again, I've never been over there at night. But I'd much rather go there than AMC, first because the tickets are cheaper and second because it's a pain to have to trek all the way through the mall first just to get to the theater part. Whoever thought of putting movie theaters in malls ... well ... he may have been a money-making genius, but he was only thinking of the teeny-boppers that are already hanging out at the mall. I don't think he was thinking about the habits of real people. When I want to go to a movie, I just want a movie. If I want shopping, I'll do that. I do NOT need both.

theilluminatedfirefly
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
When I want to go to a movie, I just want a movie. If I want shopping, I'll do that. I do NOT need both.

Word!!! When the deal with AMC was made at Quail part of the requirement was that the only entrances allowed for the theaters were the main mall entrances, thereby forcing you to walk past all the stores in the mall every time you want to see a movie.

And every time I have to hike half a mile to see a movie at Quail I resent it. And then when I get there and have to shell out nine bucks for a ticket I really resent it. Then when the movie is over and I've forgotten about my resentment for a moment I'm re-reminded when I have to hike back another half mile to my car; further if the mall is already closed.

I'd rather flirt with danger at Tinsel Town. :)

How long until Warren Theaters opens on Memorial?

jsibelius
08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Word!!! When the deal with AMC was made at Quail part of the requirement was that the only entrances allowed for the theaters were the main mall entrances, thereby forcing you to walk past all the stores in the mall every time you want to see a movie.

And every time I have to hike half a mile to see a movie at Quail I resent it. And then when I get there and have to shell out nine bucks for a ticket I really resent it. Then when the movie is over and I've forgotten about my resentment for a moment I'm re-reminded when I have to hike back another half mile to my car; further if the mall is already closed.

You said it!

Dunno. Wanna get a petition started? I might actually be willing to get off my duff for that! :D

Patrick
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
I don't see how the parking lot at Tinsel Town is any different that any other attraction in the Adventure District.

ddavidson8
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
:numchucks

I would say that the real people they want walking by the stores in the mall are your wives/girlfriends. I know that any guys like me just make a beeline for the movies and ignore all the stores.

jsibelius
08-14-2008, 09:10 AM
:numchucks

I would say that the real people they want walking by the stores in the mall are your wives/girlfriends. I know that any guys like me just make a beeline for the movies and ignore all the stores.

Well, this wife/girlfriend would rather not have to make any beelines or ignore anything. So, Tinseltown for me. Unless there's something good showing in the balconies.

kevinpate
08-14-2008, 07:42 PM
There are definitely scarier places and p-lots in OKC than Tinseltown.